Moto GP Thailand

soihok

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wa a good day today. I've been here 4 times before, they are getting better at running things here. Everything reasonably priced, well behaved crowd, good racing. My hotel in Surin 50kms away. I've been to many races and this is not the best on all counts (on some) but not far off. Very good. Book next year early.

Really enjoyed the racing today, I'm also staying in Surin and it was a breeze both going in and coming back, looking forward to doing it again next year. Could of done with some track commentary in English though, they did it at the Superbikes last March so I don't see why MotoGP can't do it. Listening to the Thai track commentator always makes me smile when he describes the hairpin bend as the U-turn.

Well,  the Topic picks out the real Bikers here, Same with the Motoring Forum. They have about 10 who comment on F1, and hundreds of comments on How to Remove Scratch on a  knackerd Truck. You lot just seem to get My Scoop's better than your Moped.I enjoyed the race on YT. Anyway Ive give up too old now.

Great job Thailand! I'm from Australia and had an absolute ball this weekend. Rental car and accomodation in Surin, easy 45 min drive to track, parked 5min walk from Gate 2 both days, food and drink cheap. Sunday some toilets, food/drink vendors and shuttle buses were struggling a bit to keep up at times but overall for a 1st attempt it was fantastic. Track has great viewing and although maybe not the most exciting layout (flat) it provided exciting close racing. I've been to Phillip Island dozens of times (on and off track), Indianapolis, Suzuka and Motegi in Japan as well, and i can tell you Buriram facilities are better than P.Is, the cost was insignificant compared to Indy, and it was heaps easier to get to than Motegi. I visit Thailand at least twice a year so will try and make Buriram Motogp and WSBK regular events for me. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Wife was there for 3 days with friends and family and totally loved it . Said everything was so well run and not expensive or overpriced .She said on Sunday that getting from car park into track was far easier and quicker than first two days . They are all wanting to go next year now and several others also dying to see it.

One thing she did say was there were loads of people wanting to buy tickets off people outside the stadium for all days.

Well a pity that F1 does not intend to go there rather than Hanoi potentially in 2020. But then guess Liberty Media , the American Co. rights holder will not get paid as much by the Thais as they will by the Vietnamese to stage it

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

Well a pity that F1 does not intend to go there rather than Hanoi potentially in 2020. But then guess Liberty Media , the American Co. rights holder will not get paid as much by the Thais as they will by the Vietnamese to stage it

The track design does not rise to F1 standards.

Or so claims the developer.

Really enjoyed the racing today, I'm also staying in Surin and it was a breeze both going in and coming back, looking forward to doing it again next year. Could of done with some track commentary in English though, they did it at the Superbikes last March so I don't see why MotoGP can't do it. Listening to the Thai track commentator always makes me smile when he describes the hairpin bend as the U-turn.

Same as Yanks with Straightaway. I told the Kids Go to bed,noot in another hour ......Straightaway..!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Same as Yanks with Straightaway. I told the Kids Go to bed,noot in another hour ......Straightaway..!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/4/2018 at 5:49 PM, Badrabbit said:

Plus vendors inside the track charging incredible prices for everything,

I was there, prices very reasonable for food and drink thanks

price list in the beer tent ???? a chicken burger only 60 baht, a hotdog 50 baht, all food by CP.

IMG_20181007_122344.thumb.jpg.f34a3139a2b54b56146c0dff3ddd30ec.jpg

very well organized IMO, i had guest passes and a car parking pass for car park 2, light traffic with just a short queue of less than 5 minutes to get into the car park entrance, (and out again at the end of each day)my pass gave me access to one of the side stands that was easily reached riding on an Essen style farm truck they had purposed as shuttles between the main commercial area and the stands (nice of them to give the opportunity to local farmers to earn some extra money IMO), was a great friendly atmosphere in the viewing stand where I watched the race, could see the other part of the track on the Big TV in the infield, and I understand enough Thai to follow the commentary. Obviously to follow the race exactly its better to watch at home on TV but being there you get the atmosphere as well as the sense of speed you don't get watching at home.

Hope I will be able to make it again next year ????

IMG_20181007_140050.jpg.99488228df28cc9f4b69387019a6ce0f.jpg

IMG_20181006_152057.jpg.ea8d475a4acf7dd3f926883106b2f1ab.jpg

IMG_20181007_144114.jpg.1a49a7b72e4850714f1561ce5e3f5112.jpg

IMG_20181006_151956.jpg.4cc2c85ef5bd2b821b5db5e23157c502.jpg

On 10/5/2018 at 11:17 AM, lipflipper said:

One and done. Newin got his wishes and the result is a co..ck up of epic proportions. Try getting to the venue itself on the roads, try making your way around Buriram this weekend, try getting accommodations that are less than two hours from Buriram. Those who took the money from Newin will have the world laughing in their faces once this farce is over.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

i just got home from Buriram and there were no problems with transport or getting around over the weekend .

did you actually attend the races or did you read this rubbish somewhere ?

i just got home from Buriram and there were no problems with transport or getting around over the weekend .

did you actually attend the races or did you read this rubbish somewhere ?
No one knew how good or bad it was going too be, nice too hear it has been a good event.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was at the races also and had a great time. My fist time to attend a motorcycle race in Thailand was the Superbike Races in Buriram back in March and I had such a good time going to them that it convinced me to attend the MotoGP races as well. My worst fear was that it would rain on me most of the way going and coming from Pattaya but it was bright and sunny every day, not a drop of rain going or coming and it didn't rain the whole time in Buriram, very unusual for this time of year. 

Here are a couple of photos from the races. The first one is from one of the motorcycle parking lots, the second is one of the sets of metal detectors that spectators had to walk through to get to the races, the Thai government wasn't taking any chances, and the last one is of one of the grandstands. I bought my tickets in advance from the Ducati dealer here in Pattaya and exchanged them at the Buriram Ducati dealer for the actual tickets as well as tee shirts and caps. This also entitled me to use Ducati parking and their refreshment stand. I also sat in the Ducati section of the grandstands so everything worked out great with Ducati which isn't always the case :). 

Track1.jpg

Track2.jpg

Track3.jpg

12 hours ago, Lucky33 said:

I was at the races also and had a great time. My fist time to attend a motorcycle race in Thailand was the Superbike Races in Buriram back in March and I had such a good time going to them that it convinced me to attend the MotoGP races as well. My worst fear was that it would rain on me most of the way going and coming from Pattaya but it was bright and sunny every day, not a drop of rain going or coming and it didn't rain the whole time in Buriram, very unusual for this time of year. 

Here are a couple of photos from the races. The first one is from one of the motorcycle parking lots, the second is one of the sets of metal detectors that spectators had to walk through to get to the races, the Thai government wasn't taking any chances, and the last one is of one of the grandstands. I bought my tickets in advance from the Ducati dealer here in Pattaya and exchanged them at the Buriram Ducati dealer for the actual tickets as well as tee shirts and caps. This also entitled me to use Ducati parking and their refreshment stand. I also sat in the Ducati section of the grandstands so everything worked out great with Ducati which isn't always the case :). imageproxy.php?img=&key=3bccf9db2954ff32

Track1.jpg

Track2.jpg

Track3.jpg

looks like you were in the same viewing stand as me, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did ????

On 10/10/2018 at 6:55 PM, moose7117 said:

Why would you bother to post this ?

this is not funny and it highlights your stupidity !

You seem to have a knack for influencing people and making friends. Such as these prior posts:

"...please stop with the negative comments, you are only displaying your ignorance. ..."

"...opinions are like r soles, everybody has one but they aren't always yours. in my opinion, you are an idiot ! ..."

You may not like my attempts at humor, so be it.  I've been around Thailand and Thais for 41 years, and we all bust each other's chops.  When I call my Thai relatives stupid or ignorant or idiots, I usually do it with a smile and a laugh, not exclamation points. At times I do get serious because I'm concerned about their well-being.

Lighten up, pal.

well it is just getting a bit old with the experts that live in places like wisconsin and scunthorpe that visited Thailand once for two days fifteen years ago vomiting up their negative and unwarranted replies.

I rarely look here anymore due to the rubbish that is posted.

i can understand that people have differing opinions and experiences however many of these posters simply post dreck.

1 hour ago, moose7117 said:

well it is just getting a bit old with the experts that live in places like wisconsin and scunthorpe that visited Thailand once for two days fifteen years ago vomiting up their negative and unwarranted replies.

I rarely look here anymore due to the rubbish that is posted.

i can understand that people have differing opinions and experiences however many of these posters simply post dreck.

Er, no geezer, you need to get a sense of humour.

Unless English is not your first language, the guy's original post obviously went over your head.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:55 AM, moose7117 said:

Why would you bother to post this ?

this is not funny and it highlights your stupidity !

I have recently posted below in the sports and Issan Forums. 

I received a reply that directed me to this thread.

I'll now read this thread, but if there is anything below that hasn't been answered already, please feel free to answer.

The main information I would like is about the management of the event itself, not the racing. Example: I do not wish to wait 20 minutes in a queue for a beer or a snack or 1 hour or more for a bus or taxi to get to and from the track.

Put simply, was the event, track side, and in the city, as well as to and from the track, well managed? 

Quote:

I was thinking of going this year but thought I would wait to see how the event was managed.

I watched it on TV and it was a great race.

If there are any expats living in Buriam, or anyone who went to the race, can you offer any reports on what the city and track and event was like, over the weekend of the race.  Things like queues.  Difficulty with transport to the track. Track facilities. Airport or bus station issues.  Price gouging.  Crime.  Availability of food and beverage in hospitality venues for the masses as I have never been to Buriam.

Can you say what was good and what was not so good about the track, city and facilities?

I know accommodation was pretty full in Buriam for it.

Any information or tips would be appreciated because depending on reports from people who went to the event, or people living in Buriam, I might go next year if it is on the calendar.

To the moderators.  I will make the same post in the sport section to try to get the views of local expats in Buriam as well as tourists who went to the event so I hope you allow it to run in both places.

OK, i went to the event over the three days.

i rode my bike to buriram as i was worried about the logistics of so many people in such a small town, i found that the free mini vans that were provided were the best way to get to the track, one of our group rode a bike to and from the track daily, but i and my travelling companion simply parked up our bikes and caught the busses.

upon being dropped off at the track, it was a 200 meter walk to where the tuk tuk type trucks were constantly ferrying people to the track gate, then it was approx. 200 meter walk through the merchandise stands/beer tents/ bike displays to the checkpoint at the bottom of the stairs to grandstand.

food was available however on the main race day there were quite long queues to be served, i simply walked downstairs and bought food and drinks at the grandstand entrance, the food choice was a bit limited at the grandstand but the prices were reasonable when compared to similar events. also the beer, CHANG, was cold and cheap.

you know about the races.

the grandstand offered an impressive view and was shaded, the heat was ok for Thailand, any people from colder climes might beg to differ. the stadium is well designed with enough toilets.

also there were many mobile toilets around the track.

upon leaving the track i simply followed the entry route in reverse.

there were no long queues waiting for the busses of minivans and when i compare it to say Sepang or Philip Island the transport was a dream.

it was a short @ 10 minute at most journey by minivan from railway station to track.

Accommodation is another issue.

i understand the politics of holding the event in Buriram however the logistics of so many people trying to find accommodation is simply horrendous. there is not enough rooms available. it is plain and simple.

i can see the race being moved to another city in the future, if the rumours are true of other tracks bring built.

simply because pattaya or Bangkok both offer better and so many more rooms.

The only glitch we found over the whole weekend was the attitude of the local entertainment venues.

myself and 5 other people of European descent went into the main bar/entertainment area on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, we found the local establishments were not at all welcoming to foreign customers.

we all are long time residents of Thailand and we sort of know how things work, two of our group are fairly fluent in Thai, we found the staff at most places were not interested in serving us.

on Sunday night we actually left a venue because the staff were more interested in their phones than taking orders or serving drinks.

next year i will go to the few good spots that we found this year.

overall the actual event was extremely well organised and i am still in shock that an event of this size can actually be done well in Thailand. i thought they would cock it up royally.

pity about the locals.

oh i forgot, the traffic from Bangkok to Buriram was horrendous with all the roadworks and idiot pick up drivers.

Rob

I rode there on my bike with my wife. Very easy to park near the Grand stand. My friends who came by car had a bit more trouble finding a parking space nearby, but that is quite normal for such big events.

Organization was really good in my opinion. We were at the Grand stand which was perfect and you could see the whole track from there.

The only (minor) negative I can think of, is that the noise was deafening and to find a stall that sold ear plugs I had to walk around for 30 minutes. Should be available at any stalls I think. 

Next year again for sure!

14 hours ago, moose7117 said:

OK, i went to the event over the three days.

i rode my bike to buriram as i was worried about the logistics of so many people in such a small town, i found that the free mini vans that were provided were the best way to get to the track, one of our group rode a bike to and from the track daily, but i and my travelling companion simply parked up our bikes and caught the busses.

upon being dropped off at the track, it was a 200 meter walk to where the tuk tuk type trucks were constantly ferrying people to the track gate, then it was approx. 200 meter walk through the merchandise stands/beer tents/ bike displays to the checkpoint at the bottom of the stairs to grandstand.

food was available however on the main race day there were quite long queues to be served, i simply walked downstairs and bought food and drinks at the grandstand entrance, the food choice was a bit limited at the grandstand but the prices were reasonable when compared to similar events. also the beer, CHANG, was cold and cheap.

you know about the races.

the grandstand offered an impressive view and was shaded, the heat was ok for Thailand, any people from colder climes might beg to differ. the stadium is well designed with enough toilets.

also there were many mobile toilets around the track.

upon leaving the track i simply followed the entry route in reverse.

there were no long queues waiting for the busses of minivans and when i compare it to say Sepang or Philip Island the transport was a dream.

it was a short @ 10 minute at most journey by minivan from railway station to track.

Accommodation is another issue.

i understand the politics of holding the event in Buriram however the logistics of so many people trying to find accommodation is simply horrendous. there is not enough rooms available. it is plain and simple.

i can see the race being moved to another city in the future, if the rumours are true of other tracks bring built.

simply because pattaya or Bangkok both offer better and so many more rooms.

The only glitch we found over the whole weekend was the attitude of the local entertainment venues.

myself and 5 other people of European descent went into the main bar/entertainment area on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, we found the local establishments were not at all welcoming to foreign customers.

we all are long time residents of Thailand and we sort of know how things work, two of our group are fairly fluent in Thai, we found the staff at most places were not interested in serving us.

on Sunday night we actually left a venue because the staff were more interested in their phones than taking orders or serving drinks.

next year i will go to the few good spots that we found this year.

overall the actual event was extremely well organised and i am still in shock that an event of this size can actually be done well in Thailand. i thought they would cock it up royally.

pity about the locals.

oh i forgot, the traffic from Bangkok to Buriram was horrendous with all the roadworks and idiot pick up drivers.

Rob

Thanks for a good report.  Much appreciated.  I will go next year.

The 2019 provisional calendar has been released.  As soon as the calendar has been confirmed I will book accommodation. 

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2018/09/04/provisional-2019-calendar-released/270093

I've been all over Thailand, but not to Buriam.  I will fly in a few days earlier and have a look around before the crowd gets to the city for the race. 

Was there any entertainment put on for race goers?  Like an oven air stage concert or DJ? 

I only went on race day.
My home in Korat makes just a 160km trip.
Korat has loads of hotels compared to Buriram but too far to be back and forwards over the weekend.
Getting in and collecting the tickets at the gate was dead easy.
Leaving at the end of the race on Sunday was also very quick.
The ride home will stay in my mind for many years to come.
Big bike Thailand heaven.
Will certainly be back next year.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Archived