Now Big Joke declares war on taxis refusing tourists and not turning on the meter

webfact

Does big Joke know this does not happen to tourists alone ? In fact, the taxi drivers try it on with non tourists as well. In my personal experience, the number of times a inflated fee is asked is tiny, but the number of times these drivers simple refuse to go is on a sharp increase. Just four years ago, I hardly ever witnessed this myself. The last two years, it is a downright nightmare to get a taxi at certain times and in certain places. 

But this is just hot air, nothing will change. 

Actually they do this to Thais all the time as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I'm a little confused from all this schizophrenic media reporting. I just read the Joke is coming after foreigners, now he is declaring war on taxis that refuse to take foreigners? 

So are foreigners good, or the foreigners bad?  This guy is freeking messed up in the head. But the good news is he's making a lot of enemies. So sooner or later.....just saying

Actually he's the guy who has the confidence of certain people that he can get all the dots to connect up.

Take for example something as simple as the traffic ticket that is issued either by hand on the spot, or by camera and then sent to you through the post.

Story is that if you fail to pay that ticket that when your annual road tax renewal comes around, the record of your unpaid traffic ticket will mean you can't renew your car tax at the DLT. Reality is somewhat different in that the DLT decides that even though you haven't paid the fine to the RTP, they the DLT still want to collect the road tax from you basically its a different budget and that boss is looking after his collections, resulting in no need to pay the fine for whatever traffic misdemeanour you received it for and your car will still be taxed. Now start to join those dots and an unpaid ticket will mean your car is no longer licenced. Move onto the next stage and find your annual vehicle roadworthy test can't go through. The system is already at the stage you can click on the QR code that is shown on the document which the testing station issues to you and you can access the DLT website and see a picture of your car in the testing station along with the emissions reading from the test, along with brake readings from each wheel. Now link all that up to the likes of EasyPass or MPass and the behaviour of the motorists in Thailand will be able to be changed.

In his new role Big Joke can see what dots need to be connected between Immigration and the Tourism industry, be it errant taxi drivers or foreigners staying in the country after their permission to stay, legally obtained or otherwise has lapsed

17 hours ago, missoura said:

He can start with this taxi driver here who only wanted B600 to go from Don Muang to Ploenchit. I declined the offer...

bad taxi.JPG

And, again, along Ramkhamhaeng Road, many drivers again slow down and open the  passengers window and yell rudely 'pbi nai' (where you go). Often followed by 'sorng roi / sarm roi' (200/300) for short distances.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, missoura said:

He can start with this taxi driver here who only wanted B600 to go from Don Muang to Ploenchit. I declined the offer...

bad taxi.JPG

Well, you didn't get ripped off. He made you an offer (it's a free world) and you declined, no problem.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, blackhorse said:

No mention of how they will police this.

Get soldiers, who do who-knows-what all day, out on the streets in civvies and then arrest every driver who refuses a fare or to turn on the meter. Not just for a day outside Mahboonkrong, but for a month all over Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket. Not too difficult to do, and once the word gets around the problem is solved. And do it not once, but at unpredictable times throughout the year, and not follow their usual insane policy of warning where and at what times they will operate, as they do sometimes when having a 'crackdown' on traffic offenders.

If they don't, then we know that even Big Joke isn't serious.

• Like 1

In the Tourist Police he targeted overstayers (a job for immigration)

2 mins in charge of immigration and he's targeting taxis.

Does this guy not understand the roles of the different depts?

Not a guy I'd employ as he'd always be doing someone else's job and not his own!

Dear Respected Maj General Hakpal,

Thank you for your efforts to clean up a country we all love(d), respect(ed) and cherish(ed).

Modern times, the race to money has plagued this lovely kingdom. Taxi drivers refusing to turn On the meter all over Bangkok, immigration officers at BKK airport hinting for money under the threat to refuse entry, immigration officials at regional offices,  who do not directly ask for bribes,  but deliberately harass quality expats during visa extensions and hint that some "extra fee" will reduce the red tape and much more.

Please look into these issues, please enforce them as you are the last hope to clean up things. But most important, enforce these regulations and see that they are not forgotten in 2 months.

Use farang volonteers to pose as tourists (with police backup),  all over the country and hail taxis and you will be able to trace down the taxi tuktuk cheats within 72 hours all over the kingdom.....

Respectfully,

Signed by all who have experienced on or many of the issues cited above.

Edited by observer90210

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Your the one that's very confused, he's not messed up in the head at all, he's trying to make improvements in many things that need improvement, and he's not aimed at just giving farang a hard time, suggest you do some further reading. 

'So sooner or later.... just saying'. Why don't you get your facts straight and talk life an adult. 

I see it on par with a new project manager arriving on site and seeing things that can be improved/changed for the better. He doesn't go out and start doing all the jobs himself but gets dept' heads in who are told to get things moving and get back on track. If the project gets back on line and things improve 'he' gets the glory. Some who 'fall by the wayside' in the process are most likely those who shouldn't have been there in the first place.

As an Australian travelling to Thailand for more than 10 years 4 times a year this is the normal procedure. I get in the taxi before the driver leaves I ask "is the meter Working" the standard answer is do you want it turned on? As I stayed in On nut for a long time on these trips the driver would ask do you want to use tolls as it is quicker, My response is On nut road is much quicker and cheaper, each trip I was met with silence till I reached my hotel. The over charge then started but I had the correct amount in my hand plus 20 baht. The driver would leave then with the wheels spinning but I always said good night after I collected my bags and lastly paying the driver.  

Try getting a taxi to go anywhere on a meter around central world/Pratunam. Waiting for a bus outside the Indra Hotel a few months back I counted a lady asking 16 taxis to go to Victory Monument, she was still there when we left. Some cars had even driven round the block with no customers and driven past her again. My wife once tried to get a taxi to take a heavily pregnant women to hospital from the Amari Watergate Hotel, gave up after  refusals.

Edited by Orton Rd

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I rarely have problems with Bangkok cabs.

Don't see what all the fuss is about.

The only times I have ever had a problem with cabs is at RCA when Im not with a Thai speaker or outside places like Shock 39 or Thermae late. 

So I just walk to the nearest main drag and hail one. Never had a hassle with meters or anyhting else.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redline said:

Problems~ there are no police enforcing driving without a license, small fines, for driving without a license is to lose your license, there is no connected computer systems...

The police are friends with ALL taxi's...also motocy taxi and mini-vans. They can do what they like, the police will even help them..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Try getting a taxi to go anywhere on a meter around central world/Pratunam. Waiting for a bus outside the Indra Hotel a few months back I counted a lady asking 16 taxis to go to Victory Monument, she was still there when we left. Some cars had even driven round the block with no customers and driven past her again. My wife once tried to get a taxi to take a heavily pregnant women to hospital from the Amari Watergate Hotel, gave up after  refusals.

central world - no problem - use the taxi rank at the side of the shopping centre - no monkey business there

On 10/4/2018 at 11:02 AM, blackhorse said:
On 10/4/2018 at 11:00 AM, keith101 said:
Sorry but what has this got to do with the Immigration Commissioner as he no longer has his position with the Tourist Police , maybe he should have tackled it while he was still there .

He is doing what 99% of thais can't and its called multi tasking

Lets see if he can?   (Multitask).

13 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Well, you didn't get ripped off. He made you an offer (it's a free world) and you declined, no problem.

Surely he didn't want to be offered anything.  He wanted to pay the fare on the meter at the end of his journey in a meter taxi.  It is not, or should not, be a free world if you accept you are a meter taxi.  It is a regulated world.

Don't let them get away with it.

Edited by greeneking
better grammar

8 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I rarely have problems with Bangkok cabs.

Don't see what all the fuss is about.

I would have said that a year ago too. But the last year, it is undeniable that the number of taxis simply refusing to go where I want to have increased at a drastic rate. Before a refusal was only say 2 out of 50 times, it has gone up to 15 out of 50 times give or take. 

Simple example, I went out with a Lao friend, we wanted to go to KSR and onwards to a club in near there. From Rama III soi 1, we tried to get a cab take us to KSR. So the Lao guy tries to get a taxi, ten minutes and six taxis later, I told him to let me try the next one, I simply told the cabby to go to Hualamphong. From there we took another taxi to KSR. 

Six refusals out of six taxis. I bet we would still have been standing there after half an hour. 

You not having a problem is sheer utter luck, I am afraid to say.