Developments in case of Swedish man and Thai wife who had their bank account cleaned out

webfact

Developments in case of Swedish man and Thai wife who had their bank account cleaned out

3pm.jpg

Sanook reported that there were developments in the case of a Swedish man and his Thai wife from Chaiyaphum who had their Thai bank account cleaned out while they were in Sweden. 

Tryggve Olsson and his wife Nonthaphat, 47, had to come back to Thailand to sort out the mess after 480,000 baht went missing.

This left them with just 680 baht. 

The bank told police investigating on Wednesday that the money was used for online shopping. 

They promised that if a bank employee was responsible for the shopping spree they would face the full force of the law. 

And if it was the work of hackers they would be found and punished. 

Further investigations are underway with a resolution likely within the next week, said Sanook. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-05

If bank employee.. then the bank should refund it all.. not letting the law take care of it and if hackers got through the banks security they are responsible too.

However if it was family of the Thai wife or carelessness then yes the bank is not responsible.

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

The bank told police investigating on Wednesday that the money was used for online shopping. 

They promised that if a bank employee was responsible for the shopping spree they would face the full force of the law. 

And if it was the work of hackers they would be found and punished. 

No promise to make it right financially (even if it was a bank employee)?

Punishing the perps is great.  But I'd rather get my money back.

25 minutes ago, impulse said:

No promise to make it right financially (even if it was a bank employee)?

Punishing the perps is great.  But I'd rather get my money back.

Yes that part shows how banks try to exclude their responsibility. If it was a bank employee money should be returned right away. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

That should not be too hard to find out.

Exactly, no way it would be difficult to find out all the info they would need, especially since there was no red flag. Largish amount of money sitting there, then all of sudden, 480,000 worth of shopping done in a short amount of time perhaps????

Interesting. My money is still on a family member of the wife or someone within that circle.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Yes, two big Wais's, a B500 fine and a suspend sentence.  The bank is of course innocent.  Never want a Thai bank account

42 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

The bank has to get on this and solve it quick,Thai banks do not have a great reputation in these incidents.

Thai Banks do not have a great reputation...Period.   But then what does have a great reputation when it comes to Business's in Thailand ?

5 hours ago, robblok said:

If bank employee.. then the bank should refund it all.. not letting the law take care of it and if hackers got through the banks security they are responsible too.

However if it was family of the Thai wife or carelessness then yes the bank is not responsible.

Or relatives of his (just for balance).  But I do agree with your point completely.

OK online shopping, so they know by IP-address, the computer. ALso delivery address for the goods.

Also they know who had access, for a bank employee all handlings, even watching is in a log?!

Wouldnt be so difficult to see if a bank employee is guilty.

However i see atm transactions and if an atm is fitted with an additional card reader (copier) and cam, then you have problems.

In, for instance the UK, Bulgarians were master in this. But it happens in many countries. Check with caution the atm machines

and cover up your hand pinning. Looks maybe stupid, but.....

THey can also skim your card, they are standing close to you and card info is wireless copied. Put your card in a metal case. Then they watch you when buying and using the card for your pin and then they have all to shop around. So be aware with pinning, always.

The bank is starting to look like the guilty party... I think an employee has a lot to answer for.

Just hope the police start getting the bank to answer some tough questions and start to see where the purchases were made with invoice numbers, tracking numbers & addresses of the recipients !!

All cards have a 3 digit CVV security number printed on the back of the card and if you use the card for online purchases you must quote that number and that number is not read from the magnetic strip or the chip on the cards. So if that card was used for online purchase then it would have to be someone who has had access to that card to get that number.

Many banks in Scotland E Asia refuse to refund customers including Standard Chartered Bank,which refused to refund me for a fraudulent transaction because I failed to report it within the first week.I only found out about it when received my statement 3 weeks after that transaction. 

2 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Many banks in Scotland E Asia refuse to refund customers including Standard Chartered Bank,which refused to refund me for a fraudulent transaction because I failed to report it within the first week.I only found out about it when received my statement 3 weeks after that transaction. 

That is why it is best to have phone msg notification of any transaction of your bank account. You are notified wherever you are. Day and night. 

8 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Exactly, no way it would be difficult to find out all the info they would need, especially since there was no red flag. Largish amount of money sitting there, then all of sudden, 480,000 worth of shopping done in a short amount of time perhaps????

Interesting. My money is still on a family member of the wife or someone within that circle.

I would get your money back as fast as you can then, before it disappears too!  :sleep:

I had $6,800 transferred over the internet from my oz bank to an account in a different bank in another oz state. They blocked my account which was a real problem as I was in Thailand. I had to send lots of documents to prove my id and they never advised me if they caught anyone but the money was credited to my account. 

3 hours ago, Russell17au said:

All cards have a 3 digit CVV security number printed on the back of the card and if you use the card for online purchases you must quote that number and that number is not read from the magnetic strip or the chip on the cards. So if that card was used for online purchase then it would have to be someone who has had access to that card to get that number.

Not exactly. I had notification from my bank regarding fraudulent purchases. My bank froze the card.

No charge or issues for me. They had a replacement card in my hand in Thailand from Canada in 48

hours. I was told the ccv was compromised by the person trying to make many small purchases

When I do any form of online shopping or change any details on my account example being upping the amount I can withdraw from a cash machine SCB send me a text to tell me. If I haven’t done what is in the text I contact the number provided to tell them.

Archived