One of two tsunami warning buoys not working since October last year

webfact

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:
On 10/5/2018 at 1:08 PM, LomSak27 said:

Uh oh, some one forgot to replace the AA batteries ..... again.

You have some spare ones?

My partner has a son in the village not work since she meet me.

I think he needs an energiser up his a#@e too.

The key word, wait for it ........... again.

In 2005 after the boxing day tsunami the USA gave Thailand a tsunami buoy. Not a year later  information was 'leaked' it wasn't working. Responsibility for keeping the power batteries updated was, well no one knew who was supposed to do it so it was never done. That is right. In the last 13 that story has been buried. Truthfully not maintaining tsunami buoys is NOT A NEW THING - wooooops

• Like 1

Naging and mocking is the most i read inhere.

Just wonder how many installed a smoke sensor or something in their house or room and then … nothing. Just wondering why the darn thing didn't work when they needed it.

"Third: fed up with all corruption around these aid-funds."

Its the same in any country with a culture of corruption. After the massive devastation from the cyclone Yolanda in the Philippines, millions of dollars were siphoned off by corrupt officiaks.,

I'm someone who thinks these buoys are really just a device to confirm a suspected wave is coming.

The earthquake itself will start any alert, and if there's a chance of a tsunami coming, most Thais will already know through social media and the grapevine, and begin panicking towards the hills. They are now aware of what a tsunami is, and this method of communication has made huge advances since 2004. 

Those at risk will be the new tourist hoards who will not have bothered to read any signage and will most likely ignore any sirens interfering with their set path.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

The earthquake itself will start any alert

Really? How? If it is deep offshore? Keep the working buoys in place. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. :thumbsup:

Stop thinking like a Thai "authority"! :cheesy: 

1 minute ago, lvr181 said:

Really? How? If it is deep offshore? Keep the working buoys in place. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. :thumbsup:

Stop thinking like a Thai "authority"! :cheesy: 

Stop thinking like a dope. Do you really believe earthquakes can't be detected if they occur deep offshore!!!?

And I didn't advocate the removal of the buoys, just stated that they won't be the only indication that a wave is coming.

When reading here try to comprehend what is actually said. 

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Stop thinking like a dope.

Oh really. How is the local population on a beach in e.g. Phuket going to know whether a tsunami is on the way or not just because there was an earthquake which they probably don't know has happened? C'mon, you gotta do better than that.

Maybe different in a modern western world scenario. S.E.A. nations are not there yet.

3 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Oh really. How is the local population on a beach in e.g. Phuket going to know whether a tsunami is on the way or not just because there was an earthquake which they probably don't know has happened? C'mon, you gotta do better than that.

Maybe different in a modern western world scenario. S.E.A. nations are not there yet.

Your comprehension problem is still evident.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Your comprehension problem is still evident.

You're a laugh a minute. Your practicality is pie in the sky!

Did it (your theory) work in Sulawesi, Japan or Phuket/Indonesia? None of them got a meaningful warning. 

I'll call that question rethorical, so do not bother answering! :thumbsup:

On 10/6/2018 at 7:57 AM, DoctorG said:

Read in initial reports that the Indonesian buoys were also not working and look what happened to 1500 (so far) of them.

I have not seen this confirmed or denied as yet so cannot say it is accurate.

Your post has nothing to do with Thailand or this topic. If you want to talk about Indonesia you should start your own post.

3 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Your post has nothing to do with Thailand or this topic. If you want to talk about Indonesia you should start your own post.

Guess what? You do not get to decide what is relevant.