Thai pays 250 baht for a small bottle of water in Nana. Sanook investigates

rooster59

Thai pays 250 baht for a small bottle of water in Nana. Sanook investigates

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUwNi83NTMxNTk4LzEuanBn.jpg

Image: Sanook

A reporter from Thai news media Sanook went to investigate in the Soi 3 area of Sukhumvit in Bangkok after a restaurant patron said they had to pay 250 baht for a small bottle of water. 

The area caters mainly to tourists of Arab extraction. 

The reporter found the restaurant, no problem. You had to go up in the lift to the fifth floor. 

Unfortunately it was shut. However, some investigative journalism found some helpful staff of other establishments in the area who said 250 baht sounded a bit stiff. 

They said that things were a bit pricey there - most of the customers are Arabs and they only get the occasional Thai.

Still, 80 is probably the price of a bottle of water. Nowhere charges 250 baht, they said. 

They get theirs from the shop for 10-15. 

The customer writing in Thai had gone online to complain saying they had got some menacing looks at the time the 250 baht bill was questioned. 

Rip off prices have been in the news this week after a Korean was charged 160,000 baht for a bite to eat with some karaoke ladies in Chiang Mai.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-06
  • Haha 1

Yesterday I also paid 195B for a bottle of water in Nana.

I was in a bar and ordered Black-Soda. When they brought me the drink I sniffed at it to make sure it is Black and not Jack or something else.

It wasn't Black and I complained. A minute later the bartender showed me his Black bottle and I sniffed at that one. Whatever it was, it wasn't Black.

To avoid trouble I told them to keep the whisky and they should give me just plain water. They suggested I should pay for that water. So we agreed I pay 195B for the whisky but I don't drink it and I get a bottle of water without extra payment.

So the water cost 195B...

At least I didn't get headache from whatever was in that bottle.

And for anybody who wants to suggest I should not have paid for it: Did you ever try that? Do you know how much hassle that is? Forget it, I paid 195B to avoid trouble and the issue was solved in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No wonder the tourist numbers are down*,they are

even ripping off their fellow countrymen now.

*expect this will be vehemently denied by TAT.

regards worgeordie

They are not good business people

• Like 1

That’s a pretty normal price for a bottle of water in the center of Amsterdam from a convenience store or waffle shop or patat stand. Anywhere from €3-€7. 

Same price for everyone, they don’t care who they rip off there.

1 hour ago, Jackin1960 said:

Being ripped off was a big part of why I left Thailand with my Thai wife and our two girls. Went to visit family this summer and was constantly subjected to duel pricing, bought tickets for the death rail way they charged me the foreign price the wife a Thai price then asked if the Girls  (9 and 11) where English or Thai!! then she decided to charge them as foreigners despite the fact they both held Thai passports. This was the last straw for me and I don't plan on visiting again in a rush. Just wish I could get my wife to understand that this is what we call discrimination. 

Just remember Thailand is a hierarchical society and you are on the bottom.  Your wife most likely cannot understand discrimination because she likely agrees that you are less important than Thais and their cultural discriminatory habits.  All Falangs are on the outside looking into a closed societal collective, which views "the other" as threatening to their culture.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jackin1960 said:

Being ripped off was a big part of why I left Thailand with my Thai wife and our two girls. Went to visit family this summer and was constantly subjected to duel pricing, bought tickets for the death rail way they charged me the foreign price the wife a Thai price then asked if the Girls  (9 and 11) where English or Thai!! then she decided to charge them as foreigners despite the fact they both held Thai passports. This was the last straw for me and I don't plan on visiting again in a rush. Just wish I could get my wife to understand that this is what we call discrimination. 

Your approach might have been wrong. Thai citizens naturally get a cheaper price, since it's presumed they pay Thai taxes (which go to maintain services). Farang tourists pay a higher price, but show a Thai work permit, speak politely in Thai, and you get the local price. BTW don't try that in Paris, getting into the Louvre. You always pay the "visitor price".  Please come again.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too have ordered Black Label (Neat) in a Bar in BKK (a sports bar)... it wasn't Black. When I questioned it they too showed me the bottle as if that were in some way proof.

Fake whisky is common and I can often tell, but its a tricky situation to be in as its difficult to prove and the bar owners themselves may have been cheated. They may not necessarily be decanting bootlegged whisky into empty bottles of Black but instead may have been sold bootlegged whiskey as black...  Its a tricky one. Ultimately, if I've had or think I've had fake whisky in bar I either won't return there or I'll just have a beer there

Thats why I drink Sangsom. Its so cheap and bad its never fake.

I personaly find Soi 3 to the the Anus Mundi. Id rather hang out in Haiti

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 2

Just now, Nyezhov said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too have ordered Black Label (Neat) in a Bar in BKK (a sports bar)... it wasn't Black. When I questioned it they too showed me the bottle as if that were in some way proof.

Fake whisky is common and I can often tell, but its a tricky situation to be in as its difficult to prove and the bar owners themselves may have been cheated. They may not necessarily be decanting bootlegged whisky into empty bottles of Black but instead may have been sold bootlegged whiskey as black...  Its a tricky one. Ultimately, if I've had or think I've had fake whisky in bar I either won't return there or I'll just have a beer there

Thats why I drink Sangsom. Its so cheap and bad its never fake

Ensuring you are the architect of your own morning headache.... 

The reason for a preference in BL is that the hangover effects are limited if I drink enough*...

Its not about getting drunk, its about enjoying and drink in a social setting with friends which may lead to more drinks... I don't want to the telltale hangover of drinking crap... thus we end up drinking beer, or at places which don't sell bootlegged booze. 

Of course..... someone will come along and suggest drinking less or not at all - In advance, I've no comment in response, these folk are just being smart <deleted>...  other than, get ripped off for a bottle of water then (as per thread topic !!)

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Fake whisky is common and I can often tell, but its a tricky situation to be in as its difficult to prove and the bar owners themselves may have been cheated. They may not necessarily be decanting bootlegged whisky into empty bottles of Black but instead may have been sold bootlegged whiskey as black

I agree with you. Sometimes the owners just don't know. Some drink i.e. always beer with their friends and never know the whiskey is not what it is supposed to be. But then again there are some a$$holes who think they can charge 190B for a glass and then serve crap.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No worse than any other booze in my experience. I pound a bottle of water before I go to bed, that usually stops it.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:
16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No worse than any other booze in my experience. I pound a bottle of water before I go to bed, that usually stops it.

Not at 250 baht a bottle I hope !!! (thats the on topic part of my comment out of the way !)

Water always helps and many a wise man rehydrates before going to sleep...  Yet, what has been drunk, quantity, what its been mixed with and what other drinks have also been consumed also make a huge difference... i.e. 'never mix grape and grain' is one thing I always try, but regularly fail to adhere to !... Another is not drinking 'rocketfuel' whisky and find that Black and Chivas are ok, but Suntory Red or Red label  add a notable degree of frailty the following day, Mekhong & SangSom are morning killers !... oddly enough I find 100 pipers not to give me a hangover, but I just don't like it and definitely don't want to drink it neat. 

I just want a few drinks, enjoy a little buzz and conversation with friends... then get up on a Saturday or Sunday morning and still have energy to play with my son... 

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not at 250 baht a bottle I hope !!! (thats the on topic part of my comment out of the way !)

Water always helps and many a wise man rehydrates before going to sleep...  Yet, what has been drunk, quantity, what its been mixed with and what other drinks have also been consumed also make a huge difference... i.e. 'never mix grape and grain' is one thing I always try, but regularly fail to adhere to !... Another is not drinking 'rocketfuel' whisky and find that Black and Chivas are ok, but Suntory Red or Red label  add a notable degree of frailty the following day, Mekhong & SangSom are morning killers !... oddly enough I find 100 pipers not to give me a hangover, but I just don't like it and definitely don't want to drink it neat. 

I just want a few drinks, enjoy a little buzz and conversation with friends... then get up on a Saturday or Sunday morning and still have energy to play with my son... 

Everybody is different. I can drink anything as long as I have my NON 250 BAHT A BOTTLE water.

Back in the states I can remember crawling into the house, pulling myself upright and using the sink sprayer to drink out of before I not so gracefully sank to the floor in sleep. Only to be woken the next morning by an Xwf kicking me in the ribs. But no headache.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

He paid 240 for the entertainment and 10 baht for the water. 

$8 to mingle with naked cuties and dodge sticky ping pong balls?  It would cost 20x that back home.

No such places on soi three and only one or two in the whole pf Bangkok 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The manic said:

No such places on soi three and only one or two in the whole pf Bangkok 

How do you know whats on the 5th floor of some unnamed building on the dodgiest street in all of Bangkok, if not the world?

That  whole area gives me the creeps.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Thats why I drink Sangsom. Its so cheap and bad its never fake.

I personaly find Soi 3 to the the Anus Mundi. Id rather hang out in Haiti

Personally I love hanging out at Sukhumvit 3 with all the dirty looking Arabs ????????

Edited by bbi1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

How do you know whats on the 5th floor of some unnamed building on the dodgiest street in all of Bangkok, if not the world?

That  whole area gives me the creeps.

It's near the corner of Soi 3 and Sukhumvit and it is clearly advertised on the door of the lift access with no restriction about entry, that's how some people know and other's know by having been there.  Don't you that it think that if something other than the operation of an 'expensive' restaurant was what was going on it would have been mentioned by the complainant?