British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

18 minutes ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

Just a thought! 90% or more Thais live on from $3000-$5000 baht a month. Why is it required for a farang to live on $65,000 a month? I know we need more, BUT come on, 12X more, that's why we all retired here! To live inexpensively! The $800,000 a year! You could not find 100 families, that all together, could come up with that kind of money in a lifetime, let alone one year! Sounds like a shakedown to me!! BigJoke wants the money, he doesn't want to see the embassies making the money.

Again, this is just a thought! Doesn't make any sense to me! But I guess, who am I! One farang, no matter what they make, spends and makes more money, than a number of many Thais! But guess they don't want our business! But we shall see, because nothing is written in granite!

I had an immigration person write down on a piece of paper that said $16,000, I asked what is that! The answer was "you want a visa, $16,000 baht and you got a one year visa"! I declined!! I will not be extorted, period!! Talked to someone else, they were told $20,000 baht!

What Thai Immigration office was this and what year?

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What Thai Immigration office was this and what year?

yes, would like to know

during all my years in LoS and all my comings/goings I have never experienced an IO seeking money,

apart from the standard fees

my experience with Thai IOs is largely pretty good

• Like 2

10 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, would like to know

during all my years in LoS and all my comings/goings I have never experienced an IO seeking money,

apart from the standard fees

my experience with Thai IOs is largely pretty good

ditto +1

• Like 1

Where people might get caught out, Is the Embassy take the Gross pay on your pension statement and put it on the Immigration letter. When you went to the office they just multiplied it by the current pound v thai Baht rate and that was Your monthly income. If you now have to show the bank statements that’s after Tax and may well fall short of 65,000 for some people.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chocdee120 said:

the Embassy take the Gross pay on your pension statement

Not all embassies/consulates.

For instance the Austrian Consulate in Pattaya check the amount paid by the pension office and the amount received on your bank-account.

They then issue and sign a letter of income with the amount received on your bank-account.

They do it this way since years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chocdee120 said:

Where people might get caught out, Is the Embassy take the Gross pay on your pension statement and put it on the Immigration letter. When you went to the office they just multiplied it by the current pound v thai Baht rate and that was Your monthly income. If you now have to show the bank statements that’s after Tax and may well fall short of 65,000 for some people.

Depends on the Embassy, what info they need and what info you supply. I used the British Embassy and showed my income with pension payments into my UK bank account. So, as income tax is taken out at source, those bank deposits were/are net, not gross.

Time to issue a reminder to those Brits requiring an embassy letter. I have received mine back today, cost £52 (approx 2,200 baht). A very easy process just sent by email a completed application form, copy of credit card details to be charged and copy of my April 2018 P60 income and tax statement to prove income over 65,000 baht. I took close up photos of all the papers, compressed to photos into a small size and emailed. Came back in 10 working days. Dont forget last day to receive application at the embassy is 12th December in time for last dated letter on 31st December. We are told the 6 month validity will be honoured. Best of luck to all and dont listen to some of the scare stories on here. There will be an acceptable alternative once the letters are no longer issued.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jimn said:

There will be an acceptable alternative once the letters are no longer issued.

I doubt there will be an alternative for only 4 nationalities

Let us be positive and hope, when eventual amendments by T.I. will be issued, they will be as easy and acceptable for the ones which embassy/consulates are still issuing income letters.

Holland embassy changed their system last year, the embassy was issuing an Affidavit, they now issue a letter of income ( after " verification ")

• Like 1

Well the £52 has been docked from my a/c so my proof of income letter is on its way.

Do I use it before the end of the year , or wait until the day before my extension expires 29th January 2019 ?

Say for any reason I am refused an extension on the 28th, what will my options be ?

31 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Do I use it before the end of the year , or wait until the day before my extension expires 29th January 2019 ?

You can do it up to 30 day early or 45 days at some offices. Certainly no reason to wait the next to last day,

22 minutes ago, tropo said:

Really? You are feeling rather confident. Are you going to apply for an extension before the end of this year? I will be getting mine in the first week of January before the Australian Embassy cuts the service on January 7, hoping to use it in late June next year, but not feeling nearly so confident as you. What is the basis of your confidence? Leading people into a false sense of security is worse than scaring them into taking active measures to ensure continuity of annual extensions. Running scared, I have 3 backup measures:

1. Starting to transfer 65k per month to my Thai account.

2. Getting the 800k ready to transfer and season for 3 months.

3. Obtaining my income letter 6 months early, in case they are still accepted.

Excellent. ✓✓✓ Precisely what EVERYONE should be doing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, tropo said:

Really? You are feeling rather confident. Are you going to apply for an extension before the end of this year? I will be getting mine in the first week of January before the Australian Embassy cuts the service on January 7, hoping to use it in late June next year, but not feeling nearly so confident as you. What is the basis of your confidence? Leading people into a false sense of security is worse than scaring them into taking active measures to ensure continuity of annual extensions. Running scared, I have 3 backup measures:

Why are you being so confrontational <removed{  By the way this is the British Embassy thread. As you describe 3 contingencies you are taking, good on you, do what you must. Embassy letters are valid for 6 months always have been, no reason to think otherwise just because 4 embassies will no longer issue letters. Yes I am confident based on fact yours is based on hearsay and fear.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tropo said:

1) started 2 months ago

2) same as

3) got mine last week, 3 months early 

????

• Like 1

UK embassy letter of income affirmation application info page asks a survey question regarding

" Do  you have insurance ? "      Has this been a long standing survey or a recent introduction ?

Also to check with the T.I. for their latest requirements before lodging your application .

One of the Visa services tried a scare tactic on me, yesterday. I was told it would be 15 thousand baht to process my extension, which is not due until next October. The agent said that I should do it as soon as possible because the price may change.  Hmmmmm . In most real world situations, increased competition drives prices DOWN, rather than UP. It is increasingly obvious that a great gift has been given to the visa agencies by the combined intransigency of both Thai Immigration and the Embassies of the various countries.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

One of the Visa services tried a scare tactic on me, yesterday. I was told it would be 15 thousand baht to process my extension, which is not due until next October. The agent said that I should do it as soon as possible because the price may change.  Hmmmmm . In most real world situations, increased competition drives prices DOWN, rather than UP. It is increasingly obvious that a great gift has been given to the visa agencies by the combined intransigency of both Thai Immigration and the Embassies of the various countries.

There isn't an increase in competition, there's an increase in customers. Supply and demand. Same supply, more demand, drives prices up.

17 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

That is intriguing . The T.I. are turning a blind eye to the visa agencies who are able to provide a service which enables a visa to be issued to a client who is unable to meet the financial requirements .

However , the longstanding " proof of income " method is seen as questionable at best , despite the support of bank statements etc .       Am I dreaming or is this really the case ?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, superal said:

UK embassy letter of income affirmation application info page asks a survey question regarding

" Do  you have insurance ? "      Has this been a long standing survey or a recent introduction ?

Also to check with the T.I. for their latest requirements before lodging your application .

Nothing new. It has been on their for 2 or 3 years.

1 minute ago, superal said:

That is intriguing . The T.I. are turning a blind eye to the visa agencies who are able to provide a service which enables a visa to be issued to a client who is unable to meet the financial requirements .

However , the longstanding " proof of income " method is seen as questionable at best , despite the support of bank statements etc .       Am I dreaming or is this really the case ?

The word 'verify' with all the legal meaning and consequences that this word implies was only ever meaningful for a handful of embassies, it has no weight for TI. In the same way a driving license is optional until you are stopped at a roadblock and nobody accepts your 500 baht bribe or you have an accident. There is no prostitution if you call a prostitute a bar girl. The law demanding you wear a crash helmet is only to increase the policeman's take home pay. It's Thailand, it's not difficult when you realize that laws are like the trimmings on a woman's blouse, pretty but not essential.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, superal said:

It is obvious that with the new "no tips" policy, that IO are using this to get a cut of the action from the Visa services. That's why I think there will be more of them in the next few months. This is an income opportunity for Immigration and for anyone enterprising enough to run a Visa service.  One visa service even advertises that you can see their agent at Immigration. Could it be any more clear what is happeniing?

Edited by KhunFred
clarity
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

This is EXACTLY the case. It shows that the change is being made so that Immigration can get funds from the Visa agencies. This is a classic "sweetheart deal".

5 minutes ago, wayned said:

I totally disagree!  This whole mess has been caused by the  a new sanctimonious vice consul at the BE.  It happened back in 2014 and all of the other embassies stood back and took the "wait and see" attitude and it blew over with only the BE changing their policies which were totally crap.  You could mail in your proof, they would look at it and issue a letter stating that it matched the amount on the income form but also said that they would not certify that it was correct.  In addition they didn't require the applicant the show up in person that the declaration was true.  This time some twit from the US Embassy jumped on the band wagon which caused Australia and Denmark to follow.  If the Embassies went back and continued to issue Sworn statements from the applicant and tell immigration that is all that they can do because of the country's financial disclosure laws, maybe it would blow over again.

Thinking that Immigration will accept direct proof is totally ridiculous. This is an English forum, but what happens if a Russian or Slovakian goes in with the proof in their native language?  Now TI must have multi lingual officers - What a joke!

I would certainly not blame the British Embassy. None of the embassies has the staff to do what Immigration wants. The BE has always been reasonable. You should try my American Embassy if you want no attention to the needs of those they claim to serve.

20 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Not all embassies/consulates.

For instance the Austrian Consulate in Pattaya check the amount paid by the pension office and the amount received on your bank-account.

They then issue and sign a letter of income with the amount received on your bank-account.

They do it this way since years.

Great to see that some embassies have the resources and common sense to be able to satisfy themselves that they have verified the amount of income. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1