"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Do I have this correct an Imm officer failed to grant you an extension based on retirement and you are 34 years of age?  Or did I miss something?

No mate, the Imm Officer GAVE him the extension...so he says.

Just now, wgdanson said:

It would be more understandable if I knew what a T Team is?  And you DO NOT have to have your 800k in BAHT, it can be the equivalent in a Foreign Currency Account in GBP or USD or EURO.

Therefore, you do have to have 800k. baht. Don't talk silly. 

3 minutes ago, superal said:

Well I have to say that what the IM said is logical . If married you need a lot more to be able to support your family as opposed to a single guy who only has to take care of himself , so single guy needs 400k and married needs 800k . But logic is thin on the ground in LOS .

But a single guy has 'different' expenses than a married one......Singha, Sang Som, ladies drinks, ladies, short time hotels  !!!! etc etc    lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But a single guy has 'different' expenses than a married one......Singha, Sang Som, ladies drinks, ladies, short time hotels  !!!! etc etc    lol

got to enlighten you cos you cannot exclude married men from your list , their need is the same after a year or so of marriage , or so I have been told ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

-- The Thai government has NOT decided they do not want people living here on a retirement visa. 

Today in Thailand there will be masses of people all over Thailand applying for their annual retirement extensions as usual. The vast majority will be approved. Some won't because of some objective problem with their application.

-- There has been NO CHANGE in the required money for annual retirement extensions.

Thai immigration rules remain the SAME. People should stop making stuff up that has NOT happened. It's destructive. 

The rules as they have been for several years ARE THE SAME.

The three options are --

800K in a Thai bank properly seasoned

Income of 65K per month (shown via an embassy income letter)

Combination of income plus bank account totaling at least 800K annualized

ONE EMBASSSY has announced ending issuing the required income letters for the income methods.

Thai immigration has announced NO CHANGE in any financial requirements. They all remain the same. 

Bye. 

The problem is some countries, such like yours, have not required applicants for income verification letters provide true proof of income. This has led to unpaid liabilies for Thai businesses especially hospitals. Now the blowback wîll likely affect passport holders of countries that played by the rules too.

9 minutes ago, superal said:

So let the British Embassy adopt the American way and just swear on oath that you have the required income . No paperwork to support the visa app ? is this correct or am I missing something ?

Just to let you know that we Brits DO NOT 'KIN' SWEAR ! lol. We have to send all paperwork, bank statement etc to the Consulate, but I think their problem is that the are unable to VERIFY that the documents are true/genuine and do not want to be held responsible by the Thai Immigration Authorities if it were found that the Brit had told some 'porkie pies', as obviously an American could. I think the UK way is far better and trustworthy. Unfortunatly, the Consulate doesn't.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

Im trying to understand what purpose this  Embassy letter serve. I ask my many [4] retired1, married friends3. They like me we sort of thought it was for folks who are borderline money wise to help them out, much nodding approval, or cheaters who shouldn't realy be here.In all we 5 Legit old codgers all clueless. Can someone tell us why we have never been asked, why such a panic if you are legit, so at luncyhtime we can put things right worldwide, as we do 3 times a week. Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, superal said:

So let the British Embassy adopt the American way and just swear on oath that you have the required income . No paperwork to support the visa app ? is this correct or am I missing something ?

This would involve work by the British Embassy. The whole point of the exercise is to reduce the workload of Embassy staff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pegman said:

This has led to unpaid liabilies for Thai businesses especially hospitals.

SCENARIO. I have my 800k in the bank and a month before extension renewal I have an accident or become ill. I am one of those stupid ones without insurance. What do I do? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pegman said:

have not required applicants for income verification letters provide true proof of income

Is a UK bank statement with a regular monthly payment from DWP (Dept of Work and Pensions) or from any Private Pension Scheme, not an adequate true proof of income. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, superal said:

Well I have to say that what the IM said is logical . If married you need a lot more to be able to support your family as opposed to a single guy who only has to take care of himself , so single guy needs 400k and married needs 800k . But logic is thin on the ground in LOS .

logical in bar world maybe.

in the real world spouses are allowed to have careers and businesses too. this is the year 2018 after all not 1960.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Just to let you know that we Brits DO NOT 'KIN' SWEAR ! lol. We have to send all paperwork, bank statement etc to the Consulate, but I think their problem is that the are unable to VERIFY that the documents are true/genuine and do not want to be held responsible by the Thai Immigration Authorities if it were found that the Brit had told some 'porkie pies', as obviously an American could. I think the UK way is far better and trustworthy. Unfortunatly, the Consulate doesn't.

The very reason that the US Embassy uses a sworn affidavit is that they do not have the ability or the resources to verify any documentation submitted to them and confirm that is is a true copy.   The US Embassy will not certify any documentation submitted to them as a true copy other than a US passport.

My proof of yearly retirement income is a copy of the yearly letter from the SSA in December that shows what my monthly payment will be for the next year, a government generated document.  My other income is from a private source on Sony Corporate letterhead that I get every June 1 that summarizes my payments to date and what my monthly payments will be for the next year. Maybe, but I doubt it knowing how any communications with the SSA works,  they can verify the SSA payments, but how can they verify the payments from a private source in an acceptable time especially when they have no dedicated resources to do this.  Hence, raise your hand and swear!

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Is a UK bank statement with a regular monthly payment from DWP (Dept of Work and Pensions) or from any Private Pension Scheme, not an adequate true proof of income. 

Thats what Brits use, thets why my chums her know nothing. My Embassy Norway, cant find time for anyone exept imegrants these day im told.

25 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

My point is the American way works & is acceptable to the Thai Immigration so lets have it across the board and all sing from the same hymn sheet . The swearing on oath by the applicant places the onus on his / her shoulders and if found to be lying by investigation the penalties may be severe .

If the UK have ceased the income affirmation there is no other way of getting your visa bar the 4/800k , so my idea is to use the American method which works . The UK Embassy would be exonerated from any liabilities as no verification of proof of income documents needed.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

It would be more understandable if I knew what a T Team is?  And you DO NOT have to have your 800k in BAHT, it can be the equivalent in a Foreign Currency Account in GBP or USD or EURO.

Made  me feel better already, as I wouldn't know, but may have to know next year heh. This is just a tempest in a tea cup and I think more to come. - going to have to keep a folder on Indonesia, Greece, Portugal and Oaxaca on retirement options. 

As for T team, your a Brit, so better catch up on your world slang son, ignorance is no virtue.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, superal said:

But the opposite is true. 400k for a married guy, 800k for a single guy.

I guess that's to accommodate for the extra a single guy has to spend on "entertainment"

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

As for T team, your a Brit, so better catch up on your world slang son, ignorance is no virtue.

As I've never heard of it either I guess it's American slang rather than world slang. I presume you are American as why else would you write "your" instead of "you're"?

Perhaps you could enlighten the "rest of the world" and inform us ignorant mortals what "T team" refers to?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wayned said:

IMHO I think what the Brits have done is what they normally do.  They have gone back in time and put on their black robes and white wigs and have screwed their own people with no attempt to find a viable solution.  By doping what they have done they have put retirees from all other countries using the Income Affidavit system in jeopardy.  By them stating that they cannot meet the immigration requirements they are raising the issue so that immigration could be very critical of the system in use by other Embassies. Remember the new immigration chief is 'Big Joke".

I use to have to work with CAA (Civil Airline Authorities) worldwide and cringed went I walked in an office in a foreign country like Burma that was run by a Brit expat.

The brit probably cringed when you walked in

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

As I've never heard of it either I guess it's American slang rather than world slang. I presume you are American as why else would you write "your" instead of "you're"?

Perhaps you could enlighten the "rest of the world" and inform us ignorant mortals what "T team" refers to?

deleted 
Edited by ratcatcher

21 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Still no answer to my Question, so leaning towards it only bothers Cheap Charlies. As suspected.!

There's been many answers to your question, I've answered it myself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Spidey said:

There's been many answers to your question, I've answered it myself.

All you have dond is state some unusual personal circumstances. No ones replied directly to me question.  Basically. Why do those 4 Brits dont care about Embassy.?. In 90 mins i shall see them, and have to say they were right.Only the Dodgey Care.

Just now, HAKAPALITA said:

All you have dond is state some unusual personal circumstances. No ones replied directly to me question.  Basically. Why do those 4 Brits dont care about Embassy.?. In 90 mins i shall see them, and have to say they were right.Only the Dodgey Care.

What was your question?

20 hours ago, Teee said:

Proof of Income letter proves nothing. By all the comments on here...seems you did not prove anything apart from making up figures and getting the Embassy to say yes thats ok...without verification.

Does not prove you have money.

To get visa say in UK you have to show Bank Statements real ones and stamped by the bank to show that document is genuine.

I had to show my pension letters to get the Ïncome Letter"from the Embassy. Can you honestly believe the DWP and Civil Service Pensions are going to falsify documents to enable me to meet the financial requirements of the Thai Immigration??

3 hours ago, superal said:

Agree, then leave it to the Thai Imm to decide what evidence they require to support it.

• Like 2