British Embassy statement on income letters: Officials knew about problems in May and say that US nationals will also be affected

webfact

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Its a problem for those wanting or needing to use an INCOME method and you would know that if you bothered to follow this issue at the most elementary level. 

Clearly I have as it shows those who can barely afford to live here with no cash reserves are scared sh*tless. No sympathy at all. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 4

27 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Aww that sucked, I’m a ways off from retiring but understand the panic, wait until they also require you guys to have proof of a 40,000baht plus health care plan every year.

You mean a piece of paper that says you have heath insurance... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SkyNets said:

So just get a print out from your Thai bank showing your pension payments. Whats the problem, unless you have been lying.....

What about my bank statement, from the Uk showing the direct debit paid into the account of my pension that should be proof enough surely.     50+ quid for a paper from the embassy was a rip off.  That presented with the Thai bank balance.   is that what they want......I got my Embassy paper to re-new my retirement visa in August.....why didn't they know then------I ought to get my 50+ quid back.  DOH

• Like 1

Re transfer fees - you can use keycurrency.co.uk for a (negotiable) margin on rate and no fees if you want a monthly transfer. 

Re monthly pension transfers - does anyone know whether these are considered "income" for Revenue Dept purposes?

Re original post - how can the British Embassy attest with integrity to something it cannot verify? How could Immigration place any reliance on such a document with integrity? The past practice brings discredit to both parties. Claiming it's mere bureaucracy is to say that rules don't matter; we like them when they protect us!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You think so??  If he did look after us there would not be a 300% import tax on US cars..

Pensions are life blood  a US car is an option.   (  compare the price of a Mini here to one bought in the UK)  you sound like a Hillary lover.

8 minutes ago, ginjag said:

What about my bank statement, from the Uk showing the direct debit paid into the account of my pension that should be proof enough surely.     50+ quid for a paper from the embassy was a rip off.  That presented with the Thai bank balance.   is that what they want......I got my Embassy paper to re-new my retirement visa in August.....why didn't they know then------I ought to get my 50+ quid back.  DOH

You really think Thai Immigration will accept an unfamiliar piece of paper purporting to be a bank statement ?

It is Thai Immigration who insisted on the embassy “verifying” income..... which they are not prepared to do.

• Thanks 1

Keep the lump sums nice and safe in your home country's bank and send you r self 65.000 every month

too expensive on transfer fees

I have found that if I go INSIDE my bank, use my US Debit Card to transfer straight into my Thai Bank Account, I get a decent rate - within +/- $5.00USD of the XE published rate, all expenses included.

• Sad 1

My sense of the situation is to point a finger at the British Embassy to the extent that the suggested solution isn't one at all for many people ie that monies have to be in a Thai bank account. If the British Embassy felt they could not verify to the level of forensic expertise required then in my mind the question is why not continue to offer the service, but outsourced to a contract-holder who do have the expertise, just as embassies of many nationalities have done for many years when faced with the inability to continue a service from internal embassy resources. I feel sure that British pensioners would have happily paid an enhanced rate for such a necessary service.

Edited by Runamile
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

$50 that’s nothing the Brit Embassy is over 3,000 baht plus postage and that was three years ago before I went onto the 800,000

No it is not. It is 2300 + 100 baht if you have it posted. I have done it for the last 3 years and go and collect it! The letter has a caveat in it anyway basically that exonerates them, merely confirming the information they have been provided with!!

• Confused 1

Well I assumed the US would follow and others will announce the change as well.

No one using that method will sleep tonight & no amount of complaining will force the respective Embassy to do a thing as it's a Thai issue.

Oh sigh I do feel for the guys using the monthly income method but I think it's time to seriously consider an exit.
Yeah especially the older guys now having to do the border run shuffle until one day they are denied reentry by some dude who is having a bad day. I couldn't and wouldn't do it

Must be thousands considering repatriation right now
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, eggers said:

Why doesn't British Embassy do what Australian Embassy does?

The applicant is required to obtain a letter of confirmation of income in their own country from pension fund, accountant, etc & that it's equal to or greater than equiv. 65,000bht p/m.

The applicant prepares a Statutory Declaration referring to the letter & confirming contents, i.e. income, source, etc.

The applicant signs Stat Dec in presence of & witnessed by an Embassy Staff member; they are just witnessing the signature of the citizen/ applicant, not the Stat Dec content!!

Have used that for past 7 years without an issue!! 

Isn't this in essence much like the British Embassy does until now (I don't use service so unsure), and now the embassy says Thai Imm needs the embassy to verify the pension is true. With Aussie stat dec how is the Thai Imm requirement for proof of truth of the income letter satisfied (if there is such a requirement and the Brit Embassy isn't just dumping the service for other reasons!)?

4 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

Yeah especially the older guys now having to do the border run shuffle until one day they are denied reentry by some dude who is having a bad day. I couldn't and wouldn't do it

Must be thousands considering repatriation right now

Really?

How are the weeds 'midst the pumpkins?

Edited by Odysseus123

Isn't this in essence much like the British Embassy does until now (I don't use service so unsure), and now the embassy says Thai Imm needs the embassy to verify the pension is true. With Aussie stat dec how is the Thai Imm requirement for proof of truth of the income letter satisfied (if there is such a requirement and the Brit Embassy isn't just dumping the service for other reasons!)?
The oz embassy requires no confirmation letters from anyone
You state your income and sign the stat dec. Done deal

Next!
  • Like 2