How to eat avocados

simon43

Avocados are a great source of 'healthy' fat.  But I'm never sure how to eat them....

The only time that I buy avocados is when the skin has turned purple and the fruit is soft to the touch.  But many times when I cut them open, the flesh is too soft and has turned brown and black ????

Most avocados in the supermarket are green and hard to the touch.  Can one eat avocados in this state and gain the healthy fat benefits?

Does anyone have suggestions how I can make avocados tasty when eaten in this state?  (I'm not into cooking, but maybe there is something that I can mix them with etc to enhance the taste).

You have to buy them somewhere in between. If not, you'll need to store them, perhaps wrapped in paper, until they ripen. Not in the fridge.

When they begin to give a little under a gentle squeeze, you can decide when you want to eat them. Once they begin to reipen, you can place them in the fridge if you've purchsed quite a few and won't eat them all in a short space of time.

If when you go to buy them and you find they are already 'giving a little', you can flick out the remainder of the stem. If it is bright green where the stem sat, the flesh will still be bright green inside.

You can eat it sliced into salads, slice in half, scoop out the seed and place some filling of your choice(French vinaigrette, prawn cocktail etc), mash it up with coriander, lime juice and salt to make guacamole which you can eat with tortilla chips, fried green banana chips...

Look on-line for recipes :)

Are there two types of Avocado available here?

The first, which I suspect are imported, have a black skin that the flesh falls away from very easily.

The other type (local?) have a green skin that doesn't part from the flesh. The second type is not the unripe version of the first. The Black skin has dimpling, whilst the green is smooth.

I like the former best.

guacamole! sliced in a sandwich! salad! with Greek olives and onion! mayo!

I buy them hard as that's how the supers carry them. I let them ripen on the counter or in a paper bag. Add an apple to ripen them quicker. When a little soft to the touch enjoy.

I love my Advicado I am from the biggest growing countries in the world, New Zealand.

the ones in the supermarket are grown in Thailand, not as good as the NZ ones but ok.

i buy them all the time. They are always hard. I put it hem in the fridge and take one hard one out and place it by the kitchen window in a warm place, after 2 days it has softened, just press your finger into the skin and if it is giving in a little that should be ok. If you go for the ones turned brown skin you will normally get some dark patches on the flesh. I just cut them off.

i love them with a salad that I make. In the mornings I make a sandwich. 2 toast slices of bread, spread some olive oil on them and spread the sift flesh on. Bit of lettuce, some cheese and tomato and off you go. I will also make a salad sandwich in the afternoon.

the Thai hard ones are ok, I like them, they are more than half the price of the NZ ones in the supermarket.

The ones in the supermarket can be quite large, go for the medium size, I cut them around the sides and split it open. Used one half and wrap the other half in film and into the fridge. Don't leave it to long as it will start going brown.

i also love ke spreading Vegimite on my toast and then spread the Advocado on with tomatoe, cheese and lettuce, and some Beetroot I get in jars from the supermarket.

Enjoy. They are full of good fats and loaded with neutrisional ingredients.

You make Guacamole with them. You make it hot and have it with corn chips and beer while you watch sporting events on the TV.  

It is said other ways to eat avocados exist and have become popular recently. I would advise you to stay away from these millennial fads. Use avocados the way god and nature intended.

Did I mention beer? Other liquids can be used successfully

73249_165871823444999_5097398_n.jpg

20 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

You have to buy them somewhere in between. If not, you'll need to store them, perhaps wrapped in paper, until they ripen. Not in the fridge.

When they begin to give a little under a gentle squeeze, you can decide when you want to eat them. Once they begin to reipen, you can place them in the fridge if you've purchsed quite a few and won't eat them all in a short space of time.

If when you go to buy them and you find they are already 'giving a little', you can flick out the remainder of the stem. If it is bright green where the stem sat, the flesh will still be bright green inside.

You can eat it sliced into salads, slice in half, scoop out the seed and place some filling of your choice(French vinaigrette, prawn cocktail etc), mash it up with coriander, lime juice and salt to make guacamole which you can eat with tortilla chips, fried green banana chips...

Look on-line for recipes ????

And, avocados make a great fruit dessert or drink. They wife loves them chilled and/or frozen with condensed milk or sweetened with sugar and ice into a smoothie. Of course, you could use honey as a sweetener to make it more healthy.

Ask the street vendor. They will tell you which are ready to eat, and which need another 2-3 days. I don't buy in the supermarkets because avocados there are like rocks. If you press on the point where the stem is, and it gives a little, it's ready to eat.

I keep it simple. Slice in half down the longitudinal axis, remove the seed with a sharp knife point. Put lemon juice or vinegar in the hollow, sprinkle salt and black pepper on top. Enjoy with a teaspoon.

IMHO the best avocados are up at Mae Sai. Huge things, 50% bigger than a baseball.

Here, in Chiang Mai is cheap 30Baht/kg. And is my preferred dinner:

With salt, pepper, lima.

With cheese or jam, with tuna or salmon. With olive oil ... or tomatoes, in salat with olive oil, vinagar....

Google recipes ! And benefits for health are multiples

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-proven-benefits-of-avocado

B3DDF6D3-0779-4A10-A39D-7482772B92B7-227-00000009676B3D5C.jpeg.779cadc182fecf8830175470038bf3b5.jpeg1416B6D9-8A71-4ADC-812A-C69B8E376C71-227-0000000989C34435.jpeg.7d3869ed279be9a0a70ef5883ce8953b.jpeg50E8AC5B-D814-492B-A77D-8AB1F96224CE-227-00000009D322E5C6.jpeg.150c301d1e30c43b4da7eb19129a173c.jpeg

They do not taste good when green.  You have to let them get ripe but not overripe either.  There are many different varieties.  Some avocadoes turn dark when getting ripe and some turn a little lighter green.  When ripe an avocado will have a slight give to it when you gently squeeze it in the palm of your hand.  Using your fingers to check can bruise the fruit.

You can have them sent to your home for a good price from this page:

https://www.facebook.com/Bangkoklovelyfruits/

2 hours ago, shaurene said:

I love my Advicado I am from the biggest growing countries in the world, New Zealand.

the ones in the supermarket are grown in Thailand, not as good as the NZ ones but ok.

i buy them all the time. They are always hard. I put it hem in the fridge and take one hard one out and place it by the kitchen window in a warm place, after 2 days it has softened, just press your finger into the skin and if it is giving in a little that should be ok. If you go for the ones turned brown skin you will normally get some dark patches on the flesh. I just cut them off.

i love them with a salad that I make. In the mornings I make a sandwich. 2 toast slices of bread, spread some olive oil on them and spread the sift flesh on. Bit of lettuce, some cheese and tomato and off you go. I will also make a salad sandwich in the afternoon.

the Thai hard ones are ok, I like them, they are more than half the price of the NZ ones in the supermarket.

The ones in the supermarket can be quite large, go for the medium size, I cut them around the sides and split it open. Used one half and wrap the other half in film and into the fridge. Don't leave it to long as it will start going brown.

i also love ke spreading Vegimite on my toast and then spread the Advocado on with tomatoe, cheese and lettuce, and some Beetroot I get in jars from the supermarket.

Enjoy. They are full of good fats and loaded with neutrisional ingredients.

New Zealand? You must be joking! Never heard of Mexico, eh?

I just bought some from the Royal Project store at Or Tor Kor market. Three nice size for 80 baht. Forget the variety but they were a dark green skin. Made guacamole with one and froze the meat of the the others for guac at a later time. They freeze well but the texture is off, so it's perfect for a dip. 

23 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

You have to buy them somewhere in between.

Up here in Chiang Mai I haven't been able to find any avocados that are 'somewhere in between.'

Virtually all I have found this year are rock hard and light in weight which would indicate that they lack moisture.  I've throw away more than I've eaten.  Put them in a paper bag with a banana.  3 out of 4 will rot instead of ripening.  Haven't eaten many this year. 

Then you get the vendors like the one I encountered in Wororot Market.  I pick up an avocado and she snaps, "You no touch", to which I replied, "I no touch, I no buy."  Even the vendors know they're attempting to sell avocados that have problems.

I have seen on youtube that you can wrap and microwave a hard one for 30 sec or so and it will soften enough to eat. I have been meaning to try this but the last few I have bought have been just right . So will have to try it at some point to see if worth while trick

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

And, avocados make a great fruit dessert or drink. They wife loves them chilled and/or frozen with condensed milk or sweetened with sugar and ice into a smoothie. Of course, you could use honey as a sweetener to make it more healthy.

Popular in parts of India and Sri Lanka. The one I liked the most was a mix from Avocado, vanilla ice cream (not sure if there was also milk in it) and crushed ice blended together

10 minutes ago, pikao said:

Popular in parts of India and Sri Lanka. The one I liked the most was a mix from Avocado, vanilla ice cream (not sure if there was also milk in it) and crushed ice blended together

Have blended with vanilla icecream ( not too sweet )  other additives not required, then place in molds and re-freeze for a desert with a difference

The best way to ripen avocados is to put them with other fruit, e.g. bananas, out in the open.  Ones that are still a little bit hard to the touch may be firmly wrapped in cling wrap. Whilst ripening, they give off ethylene. By containing the escaping ethylene within the wrapping, the avocado will ripen more quickly.

When you buy, try to obtain them in varying degrees of ripeness, so that they ripen sequentially, so to speak.  If you don't wish to eat one immediately it is ripe, place it in the vegetable storage compartment in your fridge; it will restrict the avocado from further ripening. 

There have been some great ways on how to eat them advanced in this thread.  But try this: avocado with smoked salmon, or avocado with grated ostrich biltong on top.  Yummy!

Archived