Green Peace carries out plastic garbage collection on Chonburi beach

Rimmer

Green Peace carries out plastic garbage collection on Chonburi beach

image.png

CHONBURI:--Chonburi – Green Peace has carried out a collection of garbage on Wonnapa Beach in Chonburi province to promote awareness of companies overusing plastic.

Green Peace Southeast Asia is carrying out an inspection of plastic waste, seeking to reveal brand-names that result in large quantities of plastic garbage. The group chose Wonnapa Beach in Chonburi as the site of a random collection of discarded packaging, picking up 2,781 pieces of plastic garbage which was then separated into 817 pieces bearing international brands, 1,606 pieces with domestic branding and 358 pieces of indecipherable origin. Up to 91 percent of the waste was food containers.

Thailand Director for Green Peace, Tara Buakumsri, explained the intent of the work as not being to ban all types of plastic but to raise awareness of harmful plastic waste and seek a reduction in its excessive use.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/green-peace-carries-plastic-garbage-collection-chonburi-beach-226141

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-10-12

I think much of this comes down the  Chao Phraya river.   Ever go on a boat in BKK.  Amazing how much trash is flowing in the water.   If you haven't seen it I would guess it's a dozen pieces per square meter minimum.   And it's murky so you only see the top 10 cm.  

The petrochemical industry are actually ramping up plans to increase plastic production to offset decreases in demand for fossil fuels <you can do an Internet search to source that statement>   So, the focus on reducing plastic use should be focused directly on companies such as Dow Chemicals and other petrochemical corporations and the retailers who purchase the products and dump them on consumers.

Consumers aren't the problem.  Give consumers paper plates and papers bags, they'll use paper plates and paper bags.  For those who wish to end the plastic problem, they need to focus on the manufacturers and the retailers who use it for packaging.  Greenpeace in on the right track by focusing on the middle-men.  Really, about the only thing which will end the plastic problem is government regulation.  But government really do work in the interests of corporations as opposed to working for the interests of the people or the environment.  Just follow the money.

• Like 1

And Thailands trash, goes to Vietnam and Cambodia? If it wasnt for those damned tourist, there would be no trash in Thailand! I always see tourist buses heading out to the countryside, to dump their load of trash along the roads, even old mattresses, they must bring them from China.

• Like 1

If Green Peace showcased (helped educate about) grocery stores, food vendors and local convenience stores (eg: 7-11), in how they promote plastic/disposable product packaging use,  I would respect their efforts.  No proposed solution?   Ok, document how many pieces/type of plastic you picked off a beach....where do I send my cash donation to support the cause...........

3 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

If Green Peace showcased (helped educate about) grocery stores, food vendors and local convenience stores (eg: 7-11), in how they promote plastic/disposable product packaging use,  I would respect their efforts.  No proposed solution?   Ok, document how many pieces/type of plastic you picked off a beach....where do I send my cash donation to support the cause...........

Have you ever attempted to educate a Thai.i asked my wife once who is the president of the USA.she asked me would it make her money to which I replied no...well then I don't want to know that rubbish.most thais don't want to learn unless it can earn them a quick buck.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, connda said:

The petrochemical industry are actually ramping up plans to increase plastic production to offset decreases in demand for fossil fuels <you can do an Internet search to source that statement>   So, the focus on reducing plastic use should be focused directly on companies such as Dow Chemicals and other petrochemical corporations and the retailers who purchase the products and dump them on consumers.

Consumers aren't the problem.  Give consumers paper plates and papers bags, they'll use paper plates and paper bags.  For those who wish to end the plastic problem, they need to focus on the manufacturers and the retailers who use it for packaging.  Greenpeace in on the right track by focusing on the middle-men.  Really, about the only thing which will end the plastic problem is government regulation.  But government really do work in the interests of corporations as opposed to working for the interests of the people or the environment.  Just follow the money.

Indeed. I'm not in LOS, but the local supermarkets here sell almost everything encased in plastic. They are banning plastic carrier bags they used to give away with purchases, but there was more plastic on the groceries than in the bags.

As said, problem solved tomorrow if a deposit scheme started. If every piece of plastic used to wrap products had 5 cents added, that could be reclaimed at a recycling depot, someone would be taking it there.