Yet more confusion over the removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats

rooster59

6 hours ago, sambum said:

they have already got rid of the responsibility of supplying new passports to British citizens,

Seriously? That was not a decision taken by the BE, it was taken by the relative rule makers back in the UK. It was not just Thailand that was affected, it was a global change of policy.

7 hours ago, sambum said:

too much work with a reduced work force and not enough storage space for the paperwork required! 

The letters earn enough to pay more than the one person needed to witness the signature plus costs.  And based on their claims, the relatively low-volume of requests is such that it would not fill up a small closet for years.

15 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

some kind of checking/audit of documents they were producing, and they got a doubt about this letter.

Or, maybe, got some "maybe we can create doubt" about the letter service.  Perhaps, "Golly Mr Thai-counterpart, we have a suspicion that some of these letters may not contain accurate figures.  What do you require in this matter?"  And they knew what the Thais would say in response.  Or some other situation where the opportunity to shed the service came up (seminar, above).  Never mind what was in-place was working - the idea was to torpedo what was in-place and working.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The letters earn enough to pay more than the one person needed to witness the signature plus costs.  And based on their claims, the relatively low-volume of requests is such that it would not fill up a small closet for years.

Or, maybe, got some "maybe we can create doubt" about the letter service.  Perhaps, "Golly Mr Thai-counterpart, we have a suspicion that some of these letters may not contain accurate figures.  What do you require in this matter?"  And they knew what the Thais would say in response.  Never mind what was in-place was working - the idea was to torpedo what was in-place and working.

correct, 'it wasn't me mummy'. The British are excellent at obscuration, Thatcher after closing many mental health hospitals, ''The patients will be released in to a caring society'', ie. not my problem now, rather like the embassy letters.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have looked at my Facebook page and so far 6 of my friends have also signed the petition. My mate sent me the link to that radio interview and I haven't heard so much rubbish in ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FevITCQ6s-I&feature=share

Another 5 friends have signed up overnight.

I am doing my bit. Come on you guys, do yours as well.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

I have looked at my Facebook page and so far 6 of my friends have also signed the petition. My mate sent me the link to that radio interview and I haven't heard so much rubbish in ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FevITCQ6s-I&feature=share

For many years now I have shown money 3 months for marriage because I found the confirm amount letter way difficult for me, my Gov UK pension is not enough to show monthly income so my problem was that my two other private pension providers said from the start they will not confirm further monthly amounts other than the first letter stating the amount.

I didn't see the interview as rubbish because once all Thai immigration offices are informed as I understand it that means I can show 12 months statement amounts from my UK bank and 12 months of amounts paid into my Thai bank and a letter from them confirming this, so that will enable me to use the 400,000 tied up in the Thai bank. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

And how can you say that for sure ?

No trace of change of the T.I. requirements towards embassies for this letter for more than a decade.

This is not about a change in the formal requirements. It is a change in the delivery of that service ie the validation of financial docs. The problem starts with what TI wants followed by BE deciding that they are unable to deliver.

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

correct, 'it wasn't me mummy'. The British are excellent at obscuration, Thatcher after closing many mental health hospitals, ''The patients will be released in to a caring society'', ie. not my problem now, rather like the embassy letters.

More blaming and deflection.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Or, maybe, got some "maybe we can create doubt" about the letter service.  Perhaps, "Golly Mr Thai-counterpart, we have a suspicion that some of these letters may not contain accurate figures.  What do you require in this matter?"  And they knew what the Thais would say in response.  Or some other situation where the opportunity to shed the service came up (seminar, above).  Never mind what was in-place was working - the idea was to torpedo what was in-place and working.

What was in place and working does not work now. Validation process reviewed and found wanting. Demanding the continuation of a Blind Eye process on both sides is what some guys here are really pushing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soalbundy said:

In British law there is the concept of the 'reasonable man' and what he is expected to do, for instance before using public transport the 'reasonable man' would be expected to read through the many volumes of rules and regulations of that particular mode of transport, before using his car, at all times, he would thoroughly check his car as to its roadworthiness, including measuring the tyre pressure, etc, etc, of course nobody is so 'reasonable' otherwise nothing would ever get done, things function on trust and common sense. I don't turn to google or facebook to ascertain if my doctor or pharmacist is qualified, I don't ask the taxi driver if he has a driving license. In the same manner it can be expected that the vast majority of people are being honest with their income declarations. 

Do we really need this simplistic guff?

Edited by SheungWan

There are more and more posts on this forum and others that have said that their embassies, on latest renewals, have been informed that discussions are in progress as to whether they will still be able to issue letters in the future.  Seems that the BE is just the first to respond!

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

In the same manner it can be expected that the vast majority of people are being honest with their income declarations. :cheesy: The reasonable guy....vast majority theory of validation! :cheesy:

you've missed the point, British law uses the extreme. The monty python 'reasonable man' absolves government and insurance companies of responsibility, ''what, you didn't read rule number 4,778 in the regulations, you should have done, then you would have known that.........''. Here we have, the 'reasonable man'at the BE cant issue an embassy letter unless there is absolutely no possibility of fraud, the perfect world, it isn't possible, fraud is always possible, your uncle could be a JP or work at a bank and issue a false original statement, the real world works with a reasonable amount of trust and expectation. Perhaps my passport is false, get that checked first, maybe the embassy official is an imposter, is the IO a real office, are the regulations real or made up. The 'reasonable man' is an excuse to do nothing and/or be responsible for nothing.

• Like 2

Just now, soalbundy said:

you've missed the point, British law uses the extreme. The monty python 'reasonable man' absolves government and insurance companies of responsibility, ''what, you didn't read rule number 4,778 in the regulations, you should have done, then you would have known that.........''. Here we have, the 'reasonable man'at the BE cant issue an embassy letter unless there is absolutely no possibility of fraud, the perfect world, it isn't possible, fraud is always possible, your uncle could be a JP or work at a bank and issue a false original statement, the real world works with a reasonable amount of trust and expectation. Perhaps my passport is false, get that checked first, maybe the embassy official is an imposter, is the IO a real office, are the regulations real or made up. The 'reasonable man' is an excuse to do nothing and/or be responsible for nothing.

Theories of British Law and Monty Python. Sounds like a good idea for a book.

• Haha 1

As it stands at the moment, as we all know, the Immigration Act provides for three methods of obtaining extensions to 'permission to stay', viz, (1) seasoned money in the bank, (2) sufficient income, or (3) a combination of (1) and (2).

Unless and until the Immigration Act is amended - as it might be - these three methods will remain extant.  All that is required, therefore, is for Immigration to agree to what constitutes sufficient proof, in their eyes, of the amount being declared as income.  A letter or affirmation from an Embassy is one way but not the only way.  Proof of deposits into a Thai bank account should be another.  I know that this possibility doesn't please everyone but would be better than no way at all, apart from the seasoned money option.  Thai Immigration just have to agree to it.

Previous posters have made a point that the regular income method could be open to fraud because switching money around between accounts and effectively depositing the same 65/40 kBaht several times might be done.  I don't believe this to be realistic as transfers would need to be shown to originate from abroad - and the bank codes would show this.  Repatriating the cash every month, only to redeposit it the following month, is hardly viable - the losses that would be incurred on the exchange rate would see to that!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

What was in place and working does not work now. Validation process reviewed and found wanting. Demanding the continuation of a Blind Eye process on both sides is what some guys here are really pushing.

They are still working for other embassies who use the real world principle and not the 'reasonable man', I just checked the German embassy website, no change, Sunday evening I take the night train to Bangkok and expect to get my letter as usual on monday for my extension end of November and I expect to do the same next year.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well please inform me what I do get at this early stage, the BE radio interview made sense to me.

Kwasaki. Sorry mate you do not have a clue do you. Thai Immigration want to see an embassy letter from the embassy, no matter what the BE may say on their website or in a radio interview. Full stop discussion over.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jimn said:

Kwasaki. Sorry mate you do not have a clue do you. Thai Immigration want to see an embassy letter from the embassy, no matter what the BE may say on their website or in a radio interview. Full stop discussion over.

Full stop discussion over it seems I am confused in how I see the situation after Dec deadline believing that UK bank statements for 1 year will be accepted by Bkk immigration head office instead of a British Embassy letter.

At the moment Thai immigration want a letter from British Embassy and if the British Embassy is to finish this letter supply and the Thai immigration will not accept applications from Brits with no letter then there's no alternative but to use the other method. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

Did they tell every other embassy as well and are ALL the embassies following the British embassy path?

As far as I know (because I don't know about ALL other Embassies) other Embassies letters have the applicants' signatures on them, and stating under oath that the details are correct. This seems to be acceptable to Immigration. The British Embassy letter does NOT have the above, and is NOT acceptable to Immigration.

So WHY should the other Embassies "follow the British Embassy path"?

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1