Legal tourists and expats will feel the benefit under "Big Joke" - he's the real deal

webfact

31 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

1.  More than likely.  2. A dedicated cop, but how many Thai cops are dedicated apart from when it comes to collecting tea money? Think about the dreadful carnage on the roads for a start.

As said, he's the immigration top cop. Yes good question about how many tops cops in the past have been dedicated but perhaps give him a chance to prove himself.

Severe negativity seems to be very popular here at the moment.

1 hour ago, Issanjohn said:

I understand that this article is kind of a puff piece but still don’t prejudge the man yet he’s just getting started.  I don’t think he hates foreigners he basically said that as long as we’re here legally then basically we have nothing to fear unless you’re a criminal which I actually think is a darn good thing.  In fact these crackdowns on foreign criminals always seem to occur the most whenever a new immigration chief is appointed, they always gotta start off strong just like any military leader does.  As long as those of us living here and tourists are here legally we shouldn’t have anything to worry about except for maybe a bit more government red tape and scrutiny if that.  I’m still a little bit worried about our British friends I hope that gets sorted out at their embassy ASAP.  Just try to stay positive if you’re not doing anything wrong you shouldn’t have anything to worry about there are always gonna be stresses in life that we all have to deal with no matter what color your passport is.  Try not to worry to much British citizens and keep the faith I have anxiety issues myself so I understand.  I’ll always remember that quote they taught us in SERE school “keep the faith”.  

And seriously stop calling him “the big joke”. Quit insulting the man and treat him with mutual respect, PLEASE.

I agree 100 % with You !!  People who dosn't are just cantankerous    !!

• Like 1

First, I hope the Joker makes all immigration offices follow the same rules, then forbids Nonthaburi immigration from making people lineup outside in the heat while they check documents and finally require immigration to stop turning off the AC between noon and one and force people to leave the building.  If he has the power to do these things, I would gladly salute him,

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

As said, he's the immigration top cop. Yes good question about how many tops cops in the past have been dedicated but perhaps give him a chance to prove himself.

Severe negativity seems to be very popular here at the moment.

Is it any wonder with a guy with funny ranks in front of his name?

32 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

This is the same line used by all authoritarian apologists.  They can raid my condo without a scintilla of prior investigation because I do nothing wrong.  I guess you have been lucky and not haven your passport stolen by a police officer and held until you pay tea money.  The police in Thailand are thoroughly corrupt and this has to do with decades of depending on bribes and tea money instead of being paid a livable wage. The point is that random police raids put a chilling effect on tourism and expats because it erodes the feeling of safety in the Kingdom.  Therefore, these random raids are actually at cross purposes with their desired effect.

Many apologies for being an authoritian apologist ( what ever that means)

I rather like living here- I live in a developing country- it’s corrupt - probably much less than Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, China , Myanmar , Laos etc etc .

I do not like Western comparisons - in the city I used to live in - there is 1 camera for every 14 people - you are tracked by number plate throughout the entire country- George Orwell would turn in his grave . 

You say Expats don’t feel safe- this country is totally safer then any Western country.

As I suggested - anyone been raided? Hotels , condos raided? Of course not. If people swim about in the putrid swamp of brothels, drugs, beer bars, massage, exploitation of the poor population- maybe that's par for the course and expect some hassle from the police 

• Haha 1

Looking at the OP photo, the fellow with the anorak on his head was definitely at the back of the queue when the dressing up box was opened!

And what a novel idea - one cop gets to carry the weapon, another one gets to wear the webbing with the ammunition pouches - some sort of jobshare arrangement perhaps?

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

so, what exactly is the benefit I will feel?

The "benefit" is that you have to bring more money into Thailand to qualify for a visa. Then you will be able to talk to an immigration officer who will smile to you if you wai. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Big Joke announces that foreigners married to Thai citizens who have faithfully observed the laws of the country for years, if not decades will no longer be treated as potential criminals.

"A foreigner supporting Thai people financially, having a legal marriage to a Thai citizen, having to report every 90 days is a massive waste of government resources.

Further having a foreigner deported from the country because he falls marginally short of the financial requirements while having millions of baht in property serves neither the interests of the foreigner or his Thai dependents.

It is ludicrous to expend so much government resources on this.

We will, going forward, grant some sort of permanent status to those foreigners who have proven over the years to have contributed to the Thai economy and the Thai people."

"Big Joke"

Edited by Psychic
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I will take him seriously when he starts getting people like the Red Bull "Boss" back to face justice.

While there may be a feel-good factor when someone "big" is brought to justice (and that would apply to every country in the world), that would hardly qualify as a meaningful metric for someone supposedly trying to be of service to the people of Thailand and foreign tourists and residents. 

I'd like to see some of the banksters in the US and Europe who robbed people of their investments, their pensions, their charitable funds ...   have their stolen wealth clawed back and for them to spend some time in prison, but at this point all of that would just be an exercise in grandstanding for publicity.  

Far more meaningful for the most people if they were able to rein in bureaucratic corruption and the type of criminal activity that causes fear and harm to the most people on a daily basis.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Psychic said:

We will, going forward, grant some sort of permanent status to those foreigners who have proven over the years to have contributed to the Thai economy and the Thai people."

OK so I just show him the millions I invested in the Condo market some years ago and he will understand I am a good guy? 

3 hours ago, Sparkles said:

He should make CM his first port of call.Anyone have his email/contact address ?

I was thinking the same thing. CM is just a flapping mess beyond a mess. If he won't fix that, he is not serious about anything.

While he is at it, a statement needs to be made over the British Mess. If he was concerned for all the 'good farang', clearing that mess up should be high on his list of things to do.

Fix things that need fixing now but as we know, this is Thailand and all this can change in a nano-second. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Psychic said:

Big Joke announces that foreigners married to Thai citizens who have faithfully observed the laws of the country for years, if not decades will no longer be treated as potential criminals.

"A foreigner supporting Thai people financially, having a legal marriage to a Thai citizen, having to report every 90 days is a massive waste of government resources.

Further having a foreigner deported from the country because he falls marginally short of the financial requirements while having millions of baht in property serves neither the interests of the foreigner or his Thai dependents.

It is ludicrous to expend so much government resources on this.

"Big Joke"

As if ... if this happened or even got suggested, it would ally lots of fears and problems.

8 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

While he is at it, a statement needs to be made over the British Mess.

If he was concerned for all the 'good farang', clearing that mess up should be high on his list of things to do.

High on his list?? There are more than 3 millions foreigners in Thailand, but at most 3 thousands that are impacted by this British Embassy decision. Not worth a statement or any Thai Immigration action... IMHO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I was thinking the same thing. CM is just a flapping mess beyond a mess. If he won't fix that, he is not serious about anything.

While he is at it, a statement needs to be made over the British Mess. If he was concerned for all the 'good farang', clearing that mess up should be high on his list of things to do.

Fix things that need fixing now but as we know, this is Thailand and all this can change in a nano-second. 

Yes Sir as you order Sir, but it is not Thai Immigration's responsibility to clean up the British Embassies mess. The other countries Embassies don't have a problem it is only the British Embassy that has caused the problem for the British citizens.

"Ultimately bona fife tourists and expats will reap the benefit through greater security and improved service from immigration".

The proof that BJ is a man of his word and really means business will be Chiang Mai. It is widely known that Chiang Mai has the most chaotic immigration system in the whole country, where substantial numbers of expats have be pushed to use agents or middle people.

When I begin to see vast improvements to the CM immigration service, than maybe I`ll believe this. Time will tell.

• Like 2

Just now, Russell17au said:

Yes Sir as you order Sir, but it is not Thai Immigration's responsibility to clean up the British Embassies mess. The other countries Embassies don't have a problem it is only the British Embassy that has caused the problem for the British citizens.

Can you imagine next year what kind of mess this is going to be for all the different offices around the country? To me, it is pretty simple to follow the Police Order (I am an Aussie) but with the outcries that the Brits are making over this, some clarification is going to be needed by someone so the Brits can at least be prepared for next year that is coming very fast. Pretty simple to say the Police Order stands for the British, say how the money will be needed to be seasoned and that is the end of the issue. I mean, I could hear the outroar if it also affected the US, Canadians and us Aussies and in the end, it just might as we never know. For 3000 plus people, this is a pretty big deal.

• Like 2

I remember reading a story of a Thai punk assaulting an American family in a parking  lot at KSG with a gun if memory serves me correctly after they watched a movie.  

The kid got caught, brought in to the police station and his punishment was to say he was sorry to the American couple.  Very impressive.  Assault with a deadly weapon, say you are sorry and promise to be a good boy and you get to go scott free.  Amazing Thailand.

47 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The clarification is there in the Thai Immigration Laws which the British Embassy has decided that it will not abide by these laws. The Brits are not going to get anywhere by coming on here and whinging and complaining about the changes within their own Embassy. The only way this mess can be sorted out is for all the Brits to go to the Embassy and protest and make sure that the British press are notified and complain to the ministers and shadow ministers back in Britain. If they try to get Thailand to change things then there will be a bigger mess than there is now. This is a British problem and it can only be sorted out by the British Government.

In which I agree 100% in what you say

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

In which I agree 100% in what you say

The Brits have missed an ideal situation to have something done about this mess. Instead of sitting on their backsides whinging and complaining about it, they should have been organizing themselves to ALL go to Bangkok with banners of protest because the Duke of Gloucester arrived in Bangkok today and there would not have been one of these Brits that are whinging and complaining down there so that he could see what is happening and there would be plenty of photos to be sent back to the British press.

2 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The Brits have missed an ideal situation to have something done about this mess. Instead of sitting on their backsides whinging and complaining about it, they should have been organizing themselves to ALL go to Bangkok with banners of protest because the Duke of Gloucester arrived in Bangkok today and there would not have been one of these Brits that are whinging and complaining down there so that he could see what is happening and there would be plenty of photos to be sent back to the British press.

And who would organise the permit to protest with the Thai government and who would organise everything else?

Could YOU get every Aussie expat in Thailand to protest outside the Aussie embassy at short notice? Do you even KNOW every Aussie expat in Thailand or even how many there are?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And who would organise the permit to protest with the Thai government and who would organise everything else?

Could YOU get every Aussie expat in Thailand to protest outside the Aussie embassy at short notice? Do you even KNOW every Aussie expat in Thailand or even how many there are?

There is enough of them on here that are trying to change the Thai Immigration laws to suit them selves now how hard would it be to put the word out and get something organized. If the Brits do not get off their backsides and get their mess sorted out then Thailand will be finished because if the Brits get Thailand to change the laws just for them then who will be next to want the laws changed and then who after them, Thailand must stand its ground and not change their laws to suit any other country. Britain don't change their laws to suit Thailand or any other country.

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

// Thailand must stand its ground and not change their laws to suit any other country.

Thailand hasn't any law to change for that. There is no law that says that you need a letter from your Embassy for a Retirement Extension (Regardless of the method you use. 800k/incomes/combo). Even the Police Order No 327/2557 doesn't speak about Embassy Letter. We are just talking about Immigration internal rules, and they are easily changeable.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Thailand hasn't any law to change for that. There is no law that says that you need a letter from your Embassy for a Retirement Extension. Even the Police Order No 327/2557 doesn't speak about Embassy Letter. We are just talking about Immigration internal rules, and they are easily changeable.

That's misleading. The letters are required for income method applications. They are not required for seasoned money in the bank account method applications. 

Edited by Jingthing

30 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

There is enough of them on here that are trying to change the Thai Immigration laws to suit them selves now how hard would it be to put the word out and get something organized. If the Brits do not get off their backsides and get their mess sorted out then Thailand will be finished because if the Brits get Thailand to change the laws just for them then who will be next to want the laws changed and then who after them, Thailand must stand its ground and not change their laws to suit any other country. Britain don't change their laws to suit Thailand or any other country.

You should know by now that most posters on TV of various nationalities are just hiding behind a keyboard warriors.

They love to moan and shout com-on you fellas why don`t you start taking some real action but are simply just old farts blowing farts into the wind.

The only ways to achieve anything is to gain the support of people with clout, such as a member of parliament or a well connected spokes person, which I doubt will happen. No one is going to take notice of a few old expats holding up banners saying; give us back our letter.

As for believing that Thailand will ever change any of it`s policies for some glorified tourists or otherwise known as expats, must be living in cloud cuckoo land.  No more letters and I strongly suspect other embassies will soon follow. I advise start saving those Thai bahts in preparation for your next immigration visits.

Edited by cyberfarang
  • Like 1