Sleep or Hibernate

CRUNCHER

Suspend: Computer's working status is kept in memory.

- Very fast recovery time to working condition. One second on my MBA.

- Open work is lost in case laptop battery is removed

- Consumes tiny bit of energy, therefore can drain the battery after (days - weeks?) of suspension

- Computer can made to 'wake up' periodically to for example fetch emails etc.

Hibernate: Computer's working status is written to the hard drive

- Takes longer time to wake up as hard drive is slower than memory

- Open work is not lost even if the battery is removed

- Doesn't consume electricity

I personally wouldn't use hibernate. 

37 minutes ago, CRUNCHER said:

Thank you all for the useful information.

I am none the wiser, but definately better informed.

In practical level.

I think it's fair to say that forget hibernation. It was a thing from past when computers used to start slowly (15 minutes) and suspend technology didn't always work. 

Today people either shutdown and restart their computers each day, or they simply suspend it. 

I normally reboot my laptop every 3-4 weeks or so. This is due some software being upgraded or some software behaving badly. I simply put my laptop to sleep (close the lid), during nights, when my laptop is not doing anything else, like downloading Linux torrents. 

My laptop's current uptime, or the time it has been up and running without reboots or shutdowns, is 17 days. The system has been behaving well, so I don't even think of shutting down the system at the moment. I just put it to sleep, whenever it's not doing anything productive for me. 

air:2018-02-18 oilinki$ uptime

21:34  up 17 days,  1:06, 6 users, load averages: 1.96 2.20 1.94

Summa summarum. If you have a laptop, which works well, forget hibernate as a thing from the past. Use suspend to continue what you were doing before you suspended or 'freezed' your computer. 

If you want to start over each time, simply shutdown your computer and start it, the next time you use it. 

For most of us, who use our computers everyday, suspend is the best way to go.

I prefer hibernate. Wakes as fast as from sleep and doesn't consume power. However, I do have some problems with my acer from time to time, maybe someone here has an idea.... Sometimes the notebook sort of puts itself to sleep - screen off, but the power on light is still on. Should wake up with any keystroke or touch pad movement but doesn't. tried many buttons and combinations and every time the only solution is to reboot. I disabled hard disk sleep on the settings thinking that might be the problem but still happens....

11 hours ago, oilinki said:

In practical level.

I think it's fair to say that forget hibernation. It was a thing from past when computers used to start slowly (15 minutes) and suspend technology didn't always work. 

Today people either shutdown and restart their computers each day, or they simply suspend it. 

I normally reboot my laptop every 3-4 weeks or so. This is due some software being upgraded or some software behaving badly. I simply put my laptop to sleep (close the lid), during nights, when my laptop is not doing anything else, like downloading Linux torrents. 

My laptop's current uptime, or the time it has been up and running without reboots or shutdowns, is 17 days. The system has been behaving well, so I don't even think of shutting down the system at the moment. I just put it to sleep, whenever it's not doing anything productive for me. 

Summa summarum. If you have a laptop, which works well, forget hibernate as a thing from the past. Use suspend to continue what you were doing before you suspended or 'freezed' your computer. 

If you want to start over each time, simply shutdown your computer and start it, the next time you use it. 

Thanks for this. I do the same thing but I never knew the reasons. I just close the lid on my DELL laptop which I gather puts it to sleep. I open it up the next day and it boots up quickly. Every once in a while I get a notice for updates or something which I will do and then the computer needs to restart. Also, whenever it gets a little wonky I restart it and it works as normal again. I bought my laptop in early 2012 and it came with a core i7 processor and still runs like a charm.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:36 AM, oilinki said:

Suspend: Computer's working status is kept in memory.

- Very fast recovery time to working condition. One second on my MBA.

- Open work is lost in case laptop battery is removed

- Consumes tiny bit of energy, therefore can drain the battery after (days - weeks?) of suspension

- Computer can made to 'wake up' periodically to for example fetch emails etc.

Hibernate: Computer's working status is written to the hard drive

- Takes longer time to wake up as hard drive is slower than memory

- Open work is not lost even if the battery is removed

- Doesn't consume electricity

I personally wouldn't use hibernate. 

I cannot find SUSPEND on my PCs, only sleep. Is it the same please?

15 hours ago, oilinki said:

In practical level.

I presume suspend and sleep is the same, do most people with a desk top which is used every day use sleep instead of shut down every night?

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I presume suspend and sleep is the same, do most people with a desk top which is used every day use sleep instead of shut down every night?

Desktop is different to laptop as a desktop doesn't have an internal battery, so I would always shut down a desktop to save power.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

Had W10 for about 15 months now, always use HIBERNATE overnight and have not had any issues at all.

I use Hibernate as well, but still find occasionally that the computer is in the awake state in the morning for some reason.

Instead of the mostly useless info you're getting here on TV.com, why not simply google the words sleep, hibernate, computer & difference. I just did this -- took about 20 seconds -- and I got many authoritative answers to your question. And if need be, those answers can be cut-&-pasted, emailed, archived, etc.

I'm continually amazed at how many simple questions are asked on TV.com that could so easily and quickly be answered by a Google search. Especially considering the faux answers given by the many wanna-be "experts" here.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

Instead of the mostly useless info you're getting here on TV.com, why not simply google the words sleep, hibernate, computer & difference. I just did this -- took about 20 seconds -- and I got many authoritative answers to your question. And if need be, those answers can be cut-&-pasted, emailed, archived, etc.

I'm continually amazed at how many simple questions are asked on TV.com that could so easily and quickly be answered by a Google search. Especially considering the faux answers given by the many wanna-be "experts" here.

As a person, who could easily write an authoritative answers to a website, I rather like to ask questions on forums, which results as multiple ideas forged together. 

There is not one single answer. There is answers, which work in different kind of situations. 

Ive tried all the modes on my 3PCs .All back on Win 7 Ultimate.Sleep mode only, but on restart they all have different probs if used .Shut Down never leads to wierd start ups. Even my idle cut power doesn’t.????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I mostly uses desktop pc in the house and normally power it off before I go to bed unless I am downloading movies/TV series and most peers are in the US.
I also shut down my tablet before bedtime.
Yes I could imagine a desktop pc would use some power in sleep mode so saving a bit on the electricity bill, which is good.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/18/2018 at 11:26 PM, giddyup said:

I use Hibernate as well, but still find occasionally that the computer is in the awake state in the morning for some reason.

Hibernate is part of my life, but sometimes it goes hinckey and needs to be reset.  Last week it started doing what you describe -- sleep instead of hibernate. 

What I dd was disable hibernate, rebooted, then enabled again. 

There's a few ways to do it:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2859-enable-disable-hibernate-windows-10-a.html

On 10/19/2018 at 1:31 PM, HAKAPALITA said:

I just kick the switch on the Wall. Then kick it on again.A black n white thing pops up n start it up in 20 secs. To many things on Windows no use.????emoji85.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My windows starts that fast or faster, just a question of having a good SSD in the computer.

Hibernate would be something more laptop oriented,

It's in between shutdown and sleep, allows you to keep your work opened and "turn off" your computer without any power consumption = no battery drain.

SLEEP mode will slowly drain your battery because your opened data is stored on the computer's RAM which require constant power in order to keep the data available, on the other hand RAM memory is very fast so your PC will wake up real fast.

HIBERNATE mode will store your opened data on your hard drive which doesn't require any power to keep your data available, but HDD / SSD memory is slower than RAM so your computer will be slower to wake up.

So the main difference with SLEEP is that it can be slower to wake up your laptop in hibernate mode vs sleep but it doesn't drain off any battery, you can leave your laptop "turned off" with your work opened for ages.

Now most of the laptops have fast SSDs so it's not as slow as before to wake up your laptop in hibernate mode.

Not really useful for desktops, it's kind of a forgotten option because now the laptops have a much greater battery life than they used to.

Edited by Pepper9187