Buying my first used car - some questions.

torrow

Hi, I'm buying my first used car.

It will be over 7 years old so an mot is required. Are cars usually sold with an mot and will it be transferred?

Should I expect it to be taxed and insured?

If I buy a car in the next province, am I making a problem for myself?

Yes make sure the car is taxed,if not you might get

a surprise as you will be liable for any back tax that 

has not been paid,you don't actually get an MOT certificate,

but it has to be tested before you can tax it,

Also don't think that the car will be in good condition because

it is tested and taxed, the MOT test is a joke really. Good luck

regards Worgeordie

dont worry about the tax and 'mot' , they can be sorted fairly cheaply, worry more about the mechanical side of the vehicle - is it road worthy. is the engine the correct one, when was the last service, when was the timing belt changed, condition of the tyres, air con working, blowing cold, etc.

Not buying from a Thai in Thailand is going to restrict choice quite a bit !
Some Thais do religiously look after their cars and bikes but maybe the higher proportion dont do anything till it breaks....nor do I (except oil change)

Depending on what make of car you are buying will decide if the timing belt needs changing.......some cars if the belt breaks it will damage the valves, basically the top end of the engine.....this can get pricy. Changing the belt is cheaper and preventative maintenance. What are you buying?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 1:40 PM, steve187 said:

dont worry about the tax and 'mot' , they can be sorted fairly cheaply, worry more about the mechanical side of the vehicle - is it road worthy. is the engine the correct one, when was the last service, when was the timing belt changed, condition of the tyres, air con working, blowing cold, etc.

i never buy a used car in thailand!!!

Buying car from another province you either transfer ownership by go there, or transfer plate to your location. It takes time and complicate things, thus certainly should be avoided.

That said If I'm in BKK and buy a car from nearby Chon Buri or Pattaya it shouldn't be big problem. just 1~2hrs drive to Chon Buri DLT

Buy a used car you should check shocks, brakes, rusts, and engine compression, though not many would allow to a through check before bought. At least take a long test drive and visual inspection ensure everything smooth. 

6 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Very nice powertrain. Understand your thinking..,

We like it. Found a bunch in BKK. Booked a room and arranged visits to the various dealers. Hired a Taxi Meter for the day.

Found one we liked, made an offer. It was refused.

Got a call about 45 minutes later - offer accepted. Stand your Ground.

Had a Android head unit installed. Use a rooted fone. Now every app Android has can be displayed and used on the screen.

Car been great - no problems. Keep excellent tires on it cause cruise fast. Tire guy loves us - we buy new, he takes 50% tires off us and makes some $$$

If it was safer and easier to buy used I would, as things stand I will only ever buy new vehicles here and the price difference is often not as huge as you might think. My wife did buy a used car about nine years ago and it cost us huge amounts of money to fix everything that was wrong with it, I eventually lost a lot of money on that deal. But if I was to buy a used vehicle I would only ever buy from a dealership or similar, buying a used Toyota for example from a Toyota dealership might work for me. I would NEVER buy a used vehicle from a private party in Thailand, the risk is just too great.

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

If it was safer and easier to buy used I would, as things stand I will only ever buy new vehicles here and the price difference is often not as huge as you might think. My wife did buy a used car about nine years ago and it cost us huge amounts of money to fix everything that was wrong with it, I eventually lost a lot of money on that deal. But if I was to buy a used vehicle I would only ever buy from a dealership or similar, buying a used Toyota for example from a Toyota dealership might work for me. I would NEVER buy a used vehicle from a private party in Thailand, the risk is just too great.

If you know nothing about cars, or do not know anybody who is, you are stuck in this dilemma.

With knowledge comes greater opportunities - like saving money.

As an example - new Teana 1.5 M - ours - 550 K

A HUGE difference.

Dealers get their vehicles from private parties. Many times just doing the display and advert - for a slice of the sale pie. So no different than buying private, which can often mean savings.

' Thai people do not do routine maintenance, or care to' - this statement is rubbish

On 11/12/2018 at 6:17 AM, canthai55 said:

We like it. Found a bunch in BKK. Booked a room and arranged visits to the various dealers. Hired a Taxi Meter for the day.

Found one we liked, made an offer. It was refused.

Got a call about 45 minutes later - offer accepted. Stand your Ground.

Had a Android head unit installed. Use a rooted fone. Now every app Android has can be displayed and used on the screen.

Car been great - no problems. Keep excellent tires on it cause cruise fast. Tire guy loves us - we buy new, he takes 50% tires off us and makes some $$$

Would you be OK to share details on what you offered and what was accepted by a dealer?    I only know dealers mostly give  more accessories instead of lowering the price on a car.    

23 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Would you be OK to share details on what you offered and what was accepted by a dealer?    I only know dealers mostly give  more accessories instead of lowering the price on a car.    

Was offered - if memory serves - 640 or 650 K

Offered 550 K cash - not bank draft, cheque, - 1000 baht bills

He said no way. Told him there are many for sale, and we go look at others. We left.

My thoughts - he foned the owner, and got the OK

There are many for sale on 12Car - which is the site I used to find one. And he saw the color of my skin and thought I was an easy mark. My wife laughed after she hung up the fone.

Of course - now she knew how much I saved, so a trip to the Tong shop was in order !!! 555

28 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

If you know nothing about cars, or do not know anybody who is, you are stuck in this dilemma.

With knowledge comes greater opportunities - like saving money.

As an example - new Teana 1.5 M - ours - 550 K

A HUGE difference.

Dealers get their vehicles from private parties. Many times just doing the display and advert - for a slice of the sale pie. So no different than buying private, which can often mean savings.

' Thai people do not do routine maintenance, or care to' - this statement is rubbish

The things is, I do know quite a lot about cars having worked as a mechanic for several years in the US in my early twenties, even with that knowledge however I wouldn't try to buy in Thailand because the population as a whole is so good at covering up flaws and there is no oversight or consumer comeback.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

buy a used car about nine years ago and it cost us huge amounts of money to fix everything that was wrong with it, I eventually lost a lot of money on that deal.

22 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The things is, I do know quite a lot about cars having worked as a mechanic for several years in the US in my early twenties,

I fail to see - if your are knowledgeable - how you lost a huge amount. Unless your experience was 40 years ago and you have not kept up. Know what to look for and you will not get stung. 

14 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I fail to see - if your are knowledgeable - how you lost a huge amount. Unless your experience was 40 years ago and you have not kept up. Know what to look for and you will not get stung. 

Not my car/purchase, I did say it was a car my wife bought (a long time ago) without my involvement.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

He's simply questioning the validity of the claim by noting the unreliable sources.

But I think you already knew that.

" 1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Ah - like the neighbors cousins housekeepers dog walkers uncle twice removed experience ...

My original post stands then ..."

Archived