Police preparing speedy immigration process

webfact

Someone mentioned the e-arrival card but more and more countries are moving to e-visas. All the info is submitted online in advance so when you arrive in the country the immigration process is simple. Dodgy characters can be eliminated at source. Yes, it's no doubt expensive to implement, but a fee is obviously charged to offset the costs. I don't think a 1000 baht fee, for example, would put off tourists, especially if it were dual entry, and the 30 day stamp would effectively be redundant.

Australia has such a system and Immigration there was all automated; I didn't see an Immigration Officer. I have just got a Sri Lankan e-visa and it'll be interesting to see how simple that is when I go in a couple of weeks.

One problem I see is that Thailand is the world hub of rubber stamps. A passport which isn't full of stickers and stamps is surely not the Thai way, though it could mean mine would actually make it to its expiry date for the first time since I've been here!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

How about starting with keeping all the available immigration booths manned at all times.

That would be a game-changer.

really just opening more booths for foreigners and less for thais would have the same effect with out increasing staff numbers. I have passed through and there is an over one hour wait for foreigners and almost no thais going through the 6 booths open for thais.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lysdexic said:

Thai Immigration staff are far more efficient, polite and accommodating that their American counterparts.
Perhaps if you didn't fling feces you might not encounter so many chimpanzees.
Just a thought.

Absolutely correct.  Solutions to delays are many and varied but one way to lessen the negative effects of delays is to have friendly staff.

I remember many years ago arriving in the middle of the night in Don Mueang after a long flight.  I was greeted by a female IO who, on looking at my passport pic and then at me pointed at my passport pic and said "young man" and then at me with "old man" followed by a huge smile.  Must admit that cheered me up.  Having gone through immigration in about 50 countries I rate Thai and Chinese immigration highly.  UK, US, South Africa not so much.

Edited by saltire1
improve understanding
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, madmitch said:

One problem I see is that Thailand is the world hub of rubber stamps. A passport which isn't full of stickers and stamps is surely not the Thai way, though it could mean mine would actually make it to its expiry date for the first time since I've been here!

You got that right!

There's NO way a Thai official is gonna miss a chance to glare, strut about,  intimidate, inflict pain and suffering, and assert his superiority by making everything as complicated as possible.

And it's not just pitched at farangs - the Thai people seem to detest govt officials of any kind . . . but they just shrug and bear it as they have nothing else to compare it to.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

"""One problem I see is that Thailand is the world hub of rubber stamps. A passport which isn't full of stickers and stamps is surely not the Thai way,....."""

guess you haven't use China immigration

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tso310 said:

Came through Swampy last week late afternoon. Through immigration in under 10 minutes. Luckily a large herd of Chinese tourists were being gathered so got in before them. 

How did you manage that without an Elastoplast or two..?  ????

• Haha 1

I have flown in and out of the Country 4 times in the last 3 months. Always to and from China. The Check in, security and immigration queues have been almost non existent. sometimes as low as 15 mins for all 3. coming back almost the same almost no queues at all. Last night there as no queue at all, Straight to an IO.

It almost like nobody is coming to swampy at the moment. DMG was crazy though.

• Thanks 1