Pasturized Milk

FaFaHead

I have seen old posts regarding this topic, like 4-5 years ago. I am interested in the quality of milk in Thailand. Moving there in 2 weeks and am hoping it’s good quality...pasteurized and homogenized. Any info appreciated along with best brands. 

Thanks!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The taste varies wildly between brands, some is obviously re-constituted powdered. The only real way to find out which you like is to buy a sample and try it.

I find that to my (ancient) British taste-buds that Meiji brand (blue top) is the most "realistic" in taste, the skimmed tastes like white water ????

I know that US milk tastes somehow different, time to suck it and see.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I find that to my (ancient) British taste-buds that Meiji brand (blue top) is the most "realistic" in taste,

I agree. (and ChokChai)

If you're in Chiang Mai, you can buy Raw milk from the dairy opposite the zoo 130bht for 5l in a plastic bag.

41 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

For the last 30 years have used exclusively Fourmost Milk, 

some milks offered in Thailand are reconstituted milk powder.

regards worgeordie

I guess being an American I’m lookin for a gallon of pasteurized/homogenized milk at the store. Not powdered, not raw dairy milk. Is there such a thing?

3 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

I guess being an American I’m lookin for a gallon of pasteurized/homogenized milk at the store. Not powdered, not raw dairy milk. Is there such a thing?

Yes. Plenty of options at every supermarket, even 7-11. You'll be fine.

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's definitely made from powder.

Can't froth it for coffee, and it lasts a month without going off.

Foremost is a big name in Thailand. As the largest purchaser of raw milk straight from the farm, Foremost is closely involved with dairy cooperatives. The farmers receive advice on the best way to feed and look after their cows. Because in our vision the production of milk does not start in the factory, but on the farm. This is reflected in the milk. If you choose Foremost, you know you are getting quality.

That's from the Fourmost website, unless you are calling them and me liars !

regards Worgeordie

52 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

For the last 30 years have used exclusively Fourmost Milk, 

some milks offered in Thailand are reconstituted milk powder.

regards worgeordie

3 decades of brand loyalty and still can't spell it right.

Impressive. 

2 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

20 years of brand loyalty and still can't spell it right.

Impressive. 

I am a Geordie so spelling not a strong point,AND its 30 years

of loyalty,learn to read. not impressed

regards Worgeordie

Just now, worgeordie said:

I am a Geordie so spelling not a strong point,AND its 30 years

of loyalty,learn to read.

regards Worgeordie

Yeah. I corrected that.

Didn't know Geordie was a synonym for ignorant, thanks for the lesson. 

26 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Foremost is a big name in Thailand. As the largest purchaser of raw milk straight from the farm, Foremost is closely involved with dairy cooperatives. The farmers receive advice on the best way to feed and look after their cows. Because in our vision the production of milk does not start in the factory, but on the farm. This is reflected in the milk. If you choose Foremost, you know you are getting quality.

regards Worgeordie

Foremost was the dry milk powder contracted by US Military for serving troops here during the Vietnam war.  It was powdered milk reconstituted in major factories here.  I believe they went out of business when US forces told to leave but then sold name to new firm - and have no idea what they process but have not returned to using that brand as do not like the taste.  Prefer Mjiji myself as even the white cap (non fat) has some taste/bulk (most are indeed white water like). 

Edit:  at any rate good milk is available just about anywhere in Thailand these days so should not be an issue.

Image result for foremost milk us military

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Thanks

28 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

No need to take my word for it,

Easy test to do, buy a small bottle, keep it in the fridge, taste it every week.

If it's still good after 3-4 weeks, it's from powder.

RAW milk, bad after 3 days, pasteurized milk good for a week.

We put yogurt on our breakfast of fruit and cereal, so don't need to keep fresh milk on hand.  I've found that the UHT milk, sold in cubes by the six or eight pack are great to keep on hand for cooking.  They keep almost forever.  Sure, the milk doesn't taste quite like fresh milk for drinking, but works just fine if we have a friend who wants milk in their coffee or fix a recipe that calls for milk. 

Chok Chai.  It's about the only commercial milk I'll drink.  In places like Chiang Mai you can also purchase milk in some of the markets.  It's safe.  If you're coming to Thailand you'll need to toss your First World squeamishness toward all things bacteria.  Just a fact of life - when you first get here, you'll probably have on-again/off-again gastrointestinal problems for a few months to a year as your First World body adjusts to Third World bacteria that doesn't bother the rest of us.  Once you adapt, it's all good man. :thumbsup:

When I first came to live in Thailand the only milk that approached the taste of real pasteurised milk that I was used to in the UK was Meiji.  the taste was quite acceptable but the additives always gave me pause for thought. As another poster has said Chok Chai milk is another pasturised real milk  which given the opportunity I used to buy but it was and still is not widely available.

However in the last couple of years or so many of the local stores  up here in Udon,  Villa, Tesco Lotus, Tops etc have been stocking real pasteurised milk by Anne Dairies.  To me that taste almost identical to the "gold Top" pasturised milk that once upon a time you could buy in the UK. 

milk 1.jpg

milk 2.jpg

6 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

Sold by the liter ('merican spelling) here - forget your pints, quarts, gallons etc.

The taste varies wildly between brands, some is obviously re-constituted powdered. The only real way to find out which you like is to buy a sample and try it.

I find that to my (ancient) British taste-buds that Meiji brand (blue top) is the most "realistic" in taste, the skimmed tastes like white water [emoji2961]

I know that US milk tastes somehow different, time to suck it and see.

Funny, Meiji is my least favourite so far. I like Magnolia from Big C Extra. I've got this one to try next.20181023_150020.jpeg

You are not moving to Outer Mongolia- all the brands in Meiji, Chok Chai , Dutch milk you normally find are not made from powder- and are really quite good.

I have never been to America- so can’t compare .

I would be more worried about buying pasteurised Pla Ra when you are knocking up a batch of Som Tam - you have to watch out for those pesky liver flukes. 

Enjoy your adventures in the Kingdom 

10 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

You are not moving to Outer Mongolia- all the brands in Meiji, Chok Chai , Dutch milk you normally find are not made from powder- and are really quite good.

I have never been to America- so can’t compare .

I would be more worried about buying pasteurised Pla Ra when you are knocking up a batch of Som Tam - you have to watch out for those pesky liver flukes. 

Enjoy your adventures in the Kingdom 

So you think they don't have milk in Mongolia ?

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Foremost was the dry milk powder contracted by US Military for serving troops here during the Vietnam war.  It was powdered milk reconstituted in major factories here.  I believe they went out of business when US forces told to leave but then sold name to new firm - and have no idea what they process but have not returned to using that brand as do not like the taste.  Prefer Mjiji myself as even the white cap (non fat) has some taste/bulk (most are indeed white water like). 

Edit:  at any rate good milk is available just about anywhere in Thailand these days so should not be an issue.

Image result for foremost milk us military

Thank you!

Archived