U.S.-bound Central American migrants on the move in Mexico

webfact

U.S.-bound Central American migrants on the move in Mexico

By Delphine Schrank and Ana Isabel Martinez

2018-10-24T221653Z_1_LYNXNPEE9N26X_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION-CARAVAN.JPG

Central American migrants, part of a second wave of migrants heading to the U.S., hitchhike on a pick-up truck as they continue their journey to the Mexican border, in Chiquimula, Guatemala October 23, 2018. REUTERS/Luis Echeverria

MAPASTEPEC, Mexico/MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Central American migrants clustered for the night on Wednesday in a southern Mexico town after advancing on their trek towards the United States, despite Mexico's vows to hinder their progress under pressure from the Trump administration.

Thousands of men, women and children, mostly from Honduras, shuffled throughout the afternoon into the town of Mapastepec in Chiapas state, still more than 1,100 miles (1,770 km) from the U.S. border.

As nightfall came and rain began to pour, they camped out on sidewalks in the small town, wrapping knapsacks in plastic and huddling beneath awnings.

Their trek has drawn the ire of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has used the migrant caravan to fire up support for his Republican party in Nov. 6 congressional elections.

It has also prompted Washington to put pressure on the Mexican government to halt the migrants' progress.

The caravan, which began as a march of a few hundred people from the crime-wracked Honduran city of San Pedro Sula on Oct. 13, swelled into the thousands as it was joined by migrants from El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala.

Mexican immigration authorities have told the migrants they will not be able to cross illegally into the United States.

Alex Mensing of Pueblo Sin Fronteras, a group that organised a previous migrant caravan that angered Trump in April, said on Wednesday the current caravan is comprised of about 10,000 people.

Pueblo Sin Fronteras is accompanying the caravan, which Mensing forecast would fragment in due course.

"It's very unlikely that 10,000 people will arrive together at a border city between Mexico and the United States," he told a conference call with reporters.

"There will be people who stay in Mexico, there will be people who go to different borders because everyone has their own plan and different support where they have family members."

Migrants began departing Huixtla in the wee hours of the morning, fanning out for about a mile and half on the road towards Mapastepec. They walked in flip flops and old sneakers. Many hitched rides from hundreds of cars, trucks and public transportation.

A Chiapas church group said they cooked for a full day, then drove over an hour from the mountains to reach the caravan, where they handed out coffee, sugary bread and tamales, cornmeal patties stuffed with meat and vegetables.

Every time they stopped to serve, migrants flung their small packs aboard their pickup, hoping to catch a ride.

"No, no," church volunteer Liz Magail Rodriguez said, pointing to the containers of food. "With these tamales, you'll have energy to walk all day."

On Wednesday, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro called U.S. Vice President Mike Pence "crazy" and "extremist" for accusing his government of financing the caravan. Pence said on Tuesday that the group was "financed by Venezuela," without providing evidence.

Mexican authorities have tried to walk a fine line between responding to Trump's demands to close its borders and respecting migrants' rights.

Mexico's interior ministry said in a statement on Wednesday evening that about 3,630 people are part of the migrant caravan in Mexico that was advancing from Huixtla, around 30 miles (50 km) north of the Guatemalan border, to Mapastepec.

Reuters could not independently verify how many people were in that group.

A separate group of least 1,000 migrants, mostly Hondurans, has been moving slowly through Guatemala towards Mexico. Some media have put the number above 2,000.

(Additional reporting by Jose Cortes in Mapastepec, Corina Pons and Vivian Sequera in Caracas; Writing by Michael O'Boyle and Daina Beth Solomon Editing by Jonathan Oatis, Tom Brown, Toni Reinhold)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-10-25

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

These caravan people need to be stopped. If they want to come to the States, let them apply at their nearest consulate and go thru the proper steps. 

Showing up at the border and requesting asylum is following the proper steps. It is perfectly legal. If the US would like to stem the flow, perhaps we could help address the issues which are causing them to ask for asylum which the US has had a hand in creating.

7 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

These caravan people need to be stopped. If they want to come to the States, let them apply at their nearest consulate and go thru the proper steps. 

Not true.

You Cannot Apply for Asylum at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Asylum is a form of legal protection available to certain people who cannot or would not feel safe if they tried to live in their home country, because of past persecution or the danger of future persecution based on their race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

Unfortunately, U.S. embassies and consulates cannot process requests for this form of protection because, under U.S. law, asylum seekers can apply only if they are physically present in the United States (or at least at a U.S. border or other point of entry).

There is a common misconception that U.S. embassies and consulates are basically the same as U.S. soil.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-obtain-protection-us-embassy-consulate.html

So these people are willing to walk thousands of kilometers to get a possibility of a better life. Not 200 meters, which seems to be a challenge for most people these days. Not 2 kilometer or even 20 kilometers, which is something a fit person would do in one day. No, thousands of kilometers.

These people are highly motivated and they are escaping the mafias running their own countries. It's been 20 years since I was in that part of the world, but at that time the crime was abundant and I guess it's gone worse ever since. These folks are not the MS-13, these are the people who are willing to leave their homes and their roots behind, to be able to live in a place where MS-13 doesn't rule. 

I'd say the ones who survive the long march, are most likely going to be highly motivated people with high stamina to do the hard work in the country they'll end up. 

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

So these people are willing to walk thousands of kilometers to get a possibility of a better life. Not 200 meters, which seems to be a challenge for most people these days. Not 2 kilometer or even 20 kilometers, which is something a fit person would do in one day. No, thousands of kilometers.

These people are highly motivated and they are escaping the mafias running their own countries. It's been 20 years since I was in that part of the world, but at that time the crime was abundant and I guess it's gone worse ever since. These folks are not the MS-13, these are the people who are willing to leave their homes and their roots behind, to be able to live in a place where MS-13 doesn't rule. 

I'd say the ones who survive the long march, are most likely going to be highly motivated people with high stamina to do the hard work in the country they'll end up. 

Nope.

Trump orders 800 Army troops to the border. It's necessary. He knows what he does, so, 800 should be enough for now.

6 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Nope.

Trump orders 800 Army troops to the border. It's necessary. He knows what he does, so, 800 should be enough for now.

How cute.

And we all know Trump has now idea what he does. He just reacts. 

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

The offspring of previous generations of well intentioned Central American immigrants formed criminal gangs like MS-13 and the offspring of this lot will do exactly the same when they become old enough. These serious problems will automatically become self perpetuating and be passed on from one generation to the next.

You should have nipped it in the bud decades ago. Tell Trump to pull his finger out and get on with fulfilling his election promises.

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

The offspring of previous generations of well intentioned Central American immigrants formed criminal gangs like MS-13 and the offspring of this lot will do exactly the same when they become old enough. These serious problems will automatically become self perpetuating and be passed on from one generation to the next.

You should have nipped it in the bud decades ago. Tell Trump to pull his finger out and get on with fulfilling his election promises.

You claim that people from Central America have a gene, which makes them violent and eager to fight against the people who wish to follow orderly society?

As a person, who actually have travelled through these countries, I say no. I'm no way naive to the dangers I faces, albait, I was somewhat more naive for the potential dangers I faced, naive when I was younger. 

I also was saved by the really good people of these people. Like I would have been saved by the good people around the world. 

In each society there are good and bad people. With my extensive experience I can say that the good people are the majority in every society. 

22 minutes ago, oilinki said:

You claim that people from Central America have a gene, which makes them violent and eager to fight against the people who wish to follow orderly society?

As a person, who actually have travelled through these countries, I say no. I'm no way naive to the dangers I faces, albait, I was somewhat more naive for the potential dangers I faced, naive when I was younger. 

I also was saved by the really good people of these people. Like I would have been saved by the good people around the world. 

In each society there are good and bad people. With my extensive experience I can say that the good people are the majority in every society. 

I claimed no such thing. The fact that you implied that I did possibly means that deep down you may suspect that they indeed do possess such a gene. You're the one who mentioned 'genes' not me.

17 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I claimed no such thing. The fact that you implied that I did possibly means that deep down you may suspect that they indeed do possess such a gene. You're the one who mentioned 'genes' not me.

You did. I suppose the white supremacy is prevalent in Russia these days. Do know, that we Finns, and the rest of the world, think that your eagerness to be above others is moronic. As equal members of the society, you are welcome to join in. 

fully support those migrants.

US made all South America poor by interfering the politics of all countries there. mostly by assassinations, organized coups or supporting an opposition and mostly bloody.

they have seen South America the backyard of US for years and this still continues.

such bs politics made all these countries poor and now they are looking for a better life, naturally.

and Trump s move to leave NAFTA trade agreement is icing on the cake as this move alone will make millions poorer!

Hope their numbers grow to millions and if that happens, i want to see the face of Trump as even army cannot do anything in front of a million immigrants.

wish the best for these immigrants and hope they all reach US and live a happy life.

Those saying women and children ought to take a look of the contents of that truck. There always are women and children, but they are for photo ops for the media to publish and tout. The vast majority are able bodied young men that want free stuff without working. That's what Obama advertised. Soros minions paying these folk keep telling them that. Asylum according to international is to be asked of the first country you enter. Traveling through two or three other countries to get to the one that will give you the most free stuff isn't part of the asylum process. Mexico offered them asylum and they refused it. By refusing Mexico's offer their bid for asylum should be refused at the border and they should be refused entry

17 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Nope.

"He knows what he does...."

Just to make sure, we're talking about the same guy who said "Nobody knew health care could be so complicated", right?

"He knows what he does...."

Just to make sure, we're talking about the same guy who said "Nobody knew health care could be so complicated", right?

And that has to do with the caravan.... What exactly? I guess you're on the wrong topic.

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

11 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

And that has to do with the caravan.... What exactly? I guess you're on the wrong topic.

Sent from a so called Smartphone using an App.

Has to do with assertions that Trump knows what he's doing. Not much in his presidency so far actually gives this impression.

open border is for voter supplementation, dilution as many minorities, immigrants leave the democrat progressive plantation. the real racist and race baiting, identity politics driven, virtue signaling party

Democrats want an  undocumented underclass just like they did during slavery.

1 minute ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Trump has a backbone and the support of likeminded Americans.

i.e. - they ain't just gonna bum rush the border.

US Active Duty Troops are being sent as reinforcements to the border patrol 

agents.

USA ain't Merkel's Germany.

You mean because unlike Merkel, Trump is keeping all those Middle Easterners in the caravan from crossing over the southern border?

Trump agrees with Obama on illegal immigration. This is the reason why its now called asylum seeking migrants

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Tweeted:
I agree with President Obama 100%! https://t.co/PI3aW1Zh5Q

as with former president Bill and Sec. Hrc

Have to give Trump credit for not being duplict on this issue.

I hope this does not get deleted as its relevant to current issue with the approaching caravan, midterms.

4 minutes ago, Srinivas said:

Campbell’s Soup executive blames George Soros for funding migrant caravan a day after letter bomb attack on financier's New York home 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6311281/Campbells-Soup-executive-blames-George-Soros-migrant-caravan-day-letter-bomb-attack.html

So what? It's not news that being successful in business and being a moronic conspiracy theory pusher are not mutually exclusive.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So what? It's not news that being successful in business and being a moronic conspiracy theory pusher are not mutually exclusive.

unless of course there is something to it. its not like soros is not active in these sort of things for a long time. his open society group got kicked out of hungary for similar accusations recently.

Archived