Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well playmates, after 91 pages of discussion, bottom line is no-one is going to know anything until Jan 1st or 2nd when they try to do an extension based on income.

Thailand is Thailand, who knows what might change in the next few months, but the only thing you do know is that the embassies have pushed back on the immigration request to verify all income statements.

That probably came as a shock to them, since as you all know regulations in Thailand are, 'fluid' so to speak, but the embassies take this literally, and just aint playing ball.

So just chill, try not to worry about things you can't change, and if you have to, make a Plan B, just in case

Well, actually if a person wants to believe the US Embassy as of 26 Oct people don't need the income letter.  See below from the US Embassy Q&A document on the subject.  However, but, note the last sentence which basically says refer to Thai immigration website for more specifics...and we already know what the Thai immigraiton websites says (i.e., been no change for years) and what has been required "real world" so far. 

So, we just now need some brave soles to go apply for their extension of stay "without an embassy income letter" to see if the US Embassy statement holds any water.  

image.png.9e2059d64011999df8919eb0a0249a26.png

15 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, actually if a person wants to believe the US Embassy as of 26 Oct people don't need the income letter.  See below from the US Embassy Q&A document on the subject.  However, but, note the last sentence which basically says refer to Thai immigration website for more specifics...and we already know what the Thai immigraiton websites says (i.e., been no change for years) and what has been required "real world" so far. 

So, we just now need some brave soles to go apply for their extension of stay "without an embassy income letter" to see if the US Embassy statement holds any water.  

From the Thai Imm web site:

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

Further down the page under Documents to be Submitted:

3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or

Nothing written in any directive that I can find that specifically states it must be in a Thai bank account.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22?fbclid=IwAR0pSiXoz28KRvbp1gK4u6Wa1YfoWUGMlatMqlfeGFcEl6JwdFQurE7izcA

Edited by Nowisee
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pib said:

Do you have a link to this as the one on the Embassy website (https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-mission-in-thailand-to-cease-providing-income-affidavit/) doesn't seem to mention monthly deposits [NB The British Embassy initially mentioned evidence of monthly deposits would meet TI's requirements but seem to have distanced themselves from this and are also pointing people to the Thai Immigration website]

Bangkok – October 26, 2018: Effective January 1, 2019, the United States Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will no longer provide an income affidavit and will not notarize previous versions of the income affidavit.

The Royal Thai Government requires applicants to meet a minimum income threshold to obtain a nonimmigrant long-term stay visa. While the Thai government has previously relied on income affidavits to demonstrate this fact, the U.S. government has no mechanism to confirm individual incomes and cannot legally claim to do so.

Because the U.S. government has no means of confirming a U.S. citizen’s income, a notarized affidavit from the U.S. Embassy has never met the requirement to prove a minimum income level for a non- immigrant “O”, “O-A”, or “O-X” long-term stay visa. There are other methods for U.S. citizens to demonstrate they are eligible for this Thai visa category.

U.S. citizens residing in Thailand should refer to the Thai government for information about verifying their income moving forward. For the most current information, U.S. citizens should check with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C., or their local immigration office.”

For more information on Embassy services to U.S. citizens, visit https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen- services/

13 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Do you have a link to this as the one on the Embassy website (https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-mission-in-thailand-to-cease-providing-income-affidavit/) doesn't seem to mention monthly deposits [NB The British Embassy initially mentioned evidence of monthly deposits would meet TI's requirements but seem to have distanced themselves from this and are also pointing people to the Thai Immigration website]

Got to below US Embassy webpage and then click the "Frequently Asked Questions" sublink.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

no-one is going to know anything until Jan 1st or 2nd when they try to do an extension based on income.

I think a little longer than that. The embassy letter is valid for 6 months so it could be the end of June before the sh1t hits the fan.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, but at present anyway, the COMBINATION method exists. So a person could claim income of 400K combined with a Thai bank account of 400K. 

Also many of us receive other pensions as well. I receive Social Security but also have a state pension (which provides me with health insurance as well). I paid several hundred dollars a month into both of those and Medicare while I was working and am easily over the required income, but like a lot of folks I'm unwilling to bring that in here - I don't need it plus I was already planning to return home next summer anyway for other reasons. Maybe I'll return in a few years, but looks like for now especially with the announced changes I'll just head home. If I don't come back here in a few years, maybe another country in region or in South America or (in my dreams) Ireland. If I stayed, I'd be willing to provide my annual statements from my retirement and from social security, but as of yet no indication Immigration will accept those. Que sera sera...

9 minutes ago, granuaile said:

Also many of us receive other pensions as well. I receive Social Security but also have a state pension (which provides me with health insurance as well). I paid several hundred dollars a month into both of those and Medicare while I was working and am easily over the required income, but like a lot of folks I'm unwilling to bring that in here - I don't need it plus I was already planning to return home next summer anyway for other reasons. Maybe I'll return in a few years, but looks like for now especially with the announced changes I'll just head home. If I don't come back here in a few years, maybe another country in region or in South America or (in my dreams) Ireland. If I stayed, I'd be willing to provide my annual statements from my retirement and from social security, but as of yet no indication Immigration will accept those. Que sera sera…

Well, I think most nations would consider both federal AND state pensions as government issued pensions. It's not uncommon for nations that offer retirement visa programs to put private company pensions and other assorted income like rents in another category -- sometimes even a different visa category (and higher qualifications). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 4:08 PM, marcusarelus said:

This predates the appointment of BJ by quite a few months.  But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. 

His cohorts and him started this a long time before he, a.k.a Big Joke, became the Big Head of the Irritation dept. But don't let a good deflection come in the way of a good story. ????????????????

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I think a little longer than that. The embassy letter is valid for 6 months so it could be the end of June before the sh1t hits the fan.

I think January will see a number of new members joining & asking How can I extend my Non-O "visa" when my Embassy will not issue me with an Income Certificate 

Edit: Fortunately the US Embassy seems to have at least emailed it's citizens to advise them, British Embassy has just posted the notice on their website

Edited by Mike Teavee
Add Edit

18 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You were you trying to hide it?

Unless it is obtained thru illegal means there is no reason to hide it and just declare it.

Just tell them why you need it.  A car, condo, or to fund an account for your Visa.

Fill out the form.

wasn't trying to hide it, just wasn't aware of the need to report it, I was hauled aside, chewed out threatened and given a form to sign, they let me proceed telling me they don't care how much you bring just declare it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JGregory said:

O, it's kind of unproductive to point fingers at the embassis. It's seems obvious to me the new head of IM knowing his local officials might not follow his dictates from BKK, he cut the head of the snake by making demands of embassies, knowing the embassies could not, or would not comply. Kill all letters and affidavits at once.  Strategically, a productive move for him.

Please explain why this affects only the  US and UK Embassies  and NOT the rest?   Something missing in your analysis.

I would agree- minor Immigration offices are always subject to idiosyncrasies.  The larger one CM, CW, Jomtien/Pattaya/ Udon are pretty consistent in application of  the Police Order.   Have done both retirement and marriage at the main branches-many of them- never an issue- other than an added form here and there.

The UK and US Embassies both have stated the letters are good for 6 months and Thai Imm  Headquarters has indicated the same.  Since these are 3 sources- I would tend to believe them. Up to you if you don't

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JGregory said:

IMHO, it's kind of unproductive to point fingers at the embassis. It's seems obvious to me the new head of IM knowing his local officials might not follow his dictates from BKK, he cut the head of the snake by making demands of embassies, knowing the embassies could not, or would not comply. Kill all letters and affidavits at once.  Strategically, a productive move for him.

This is a PM I had June 21 2018:

Hello -- I was at the US Embassy outreach in Khon Kaen yesterday. After swearing that my statements are true and getting the affidavit notarized, I had a brief conversation with the consular official. I cannot remember exactly what prompted this but I said (to the effect) that people say you Americans have it easy as you can just say the amount is anything you want. To which he said that is making false statement to a US official which is a crime. I said yeah I know but that that doesn't stop people from doing it anyway to which he said:

--- That is why the US Embassy is in discussion with Thai Immigration to eliminate the affidavit requirement.

To which I added that is because it is the State Department policy anywhere in the world that a US Embassy/Consulate will not verify the authenticity of a US document even a US Social Security statement. To which he said it sounds like you know more about it than I do.

So just to let you know but not for me to post as I do not know exactly what discussions are taking place between the US Embassy and Thai Immigration or really if they are taking place at all. R/ JLCrab

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, JGregory said:

Last observation... look at the Malaysian My Second Home Visa http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/
This looks to me like where immigration is headed here.  An Malaysia recently discontinued accepting Pensions for income or purchasing property.  The only acceptable method now is a substantial local bank account which you can't withdraw or move funds.

Wow, that is a pricy residency visa to say the least.

Makes Thailand look pretty good.

Never the less looks like I will be doing the Mexican hat dance, and a crash course in Spanish... ????

11 minutes ago, garyk said:

Wow, that is a pricy residency visa to say the least.

Makes Thailand look pretty good.

Never the less looks like I will be doing the Mexican hat dance, and a crash course in Spanish... ????

LOL......Visas in Mexico for Americans are sweet...The Visa is for 6 months after 6 months go across the border and get another one...And thats it....Its looking better every day as the visa hoop jumping in Thailand seems to multiplying like rabbits..

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1

The verification idea I proposed will not fit for every scenario.  But in my case it could work.  Initiative and Innovation are two things that are rare here.

I have tried to be proactive and confirmed with my Pension fund that they will promptly respond if a request for income verification comes in from Thailand.  

As long as you can borrow 800k from agents and get an official bank document to show immigration , I do not see the problem here. Yes its been a grey area for years and some people will call it cheating. 

But where the 800k comes from is not anyones business , if you borrow from friends or an agent.  And immigration officials approve it. 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

SnakeBite:  The most recent three months of my American bank statements have been accepted at Chaeng Wattana for the past ten years.  Unless the proof of income requirements are changed, you should be OK just presenting them.

Hopefully you will come back on and post clarification on your post as others have asked. Did you do the income method? Did you present three recent bank statements with or without an embassy letter. If its without the letter you my friend are the first person who has claimed this. Somehow I think not and you have missunderstood the issue.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, balo said:

But where the 800k comes from is not anyones business , if you borrow from friends or an agent.  And immigration officials approve it. 

Actually you are right- one could borrow 800K from anyone and put it in the bank- the only thing different is that agents have the way of getting Thai Imm to waive the seasoning which is legal- The  Immigration act indicates that any or all requirements can be waived.

US Immigration allows agent and lawyers to handle cases for clients.  the US Passport Office  issues expedited Passports when you pay extra money. Not much difference from what agents and Thai imm does- you pay your money- you get the service. 

I have never used them  but who knows???!!

10 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I had read on TVF a few months ago that Bangkok Bank was going to stop allowing ACH's from their USA branch to their Thai branches.

Did that policy change get cancelled? Or is that still happening in the near future (or already)?

Suppose to happen in April of 2019 you can go to there website and set this

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

LOL......Visas in Mexico for Americans are sweet...The Visa is for 6 months after 6 months go across the border and get another one...And thats it....Its looking better every day as the visa hoop jumping in Thailand seems to multiplying like rabbits..

Considering US / Mexico relations these days I'd be thinking twice about pulling up stakes and heading to Mexico if you are a US citizen.

Remember... it wasn't too long ago people could hop across the border and get another visa here in Thailand. Things change

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JGregory said:

Just a few observations here.  I've been here on an O-A with annual extension for 12 years dealing with 5 different regional immigration offices.  I won't answer questions about any of this, so plz don't ask.  I won't add any information on this website that could judged the wrong way. I'ma  guest here. I love and respect the people of Thailand.

+  If you've been here long enough, you should know that each local IM office operates a bit like a Fiefdom.  All have different local policies. And officially the local offices can require whatever they want from any foreigner.

+  I live currently in a small province location that was a "Test Lab" for this 3 years ago.  A new head of local IM arrived from BKK. Within 2 weeks, pretty much the same requirements as you see today started here locally.  With your visit to location IM for O-A extension. We were all told... No embassies affadavits/letters accepted.  No SS or pension statements accepted. In a few days, they produced a simple local statement to sign that they would renew extensions based on Letters one more time per individual but in succeeding years all O-A extensions required 65k Baht of monthly income or 800k  CD in the bank.  No more combination calculation if your pension paid less than 65k.  They followed through and let everyone renew with any embassy affidavit for next 12 months

+  Some expats left for VN, PH, Malaysia.  Most of us were old hands at watching IM change like the wind.  So we extended and see what happens.

+ After the 12 months, many of us took a book bank showing 65k monthly deposits. But that was not accepted unless the local bank verified the origin was your passport country.  Any other country not accepted. And if any deposit missed a 30 day period, like it was 34 days... That was unacceptable. Told to get a CD and we'll waive the seasoning.   Tried to show US bank statements. No deal.  Pension statements didn't work.  Recall, local officers can ask for whatever they want. No Point in whining about it.  At one point, I heard that not only certified monthly bank deposits but I had to also show local ATM transaction of spending the 65K were required. LOL  Test Lab.

+ A trip to another IM location allowed many to get their extensions with affidavits and return here. No problem if they had a local address and local bank account in the other location.  That's allowed under IM laws.  On return just went to local office and did the residency form for living location.  And of course, even though it was same address as before, the local IM said nothing and took 90 day reports as before.  All in the statutes, nothing dodgy about it.

+ After 2 years, a change of head man at our local office put everything right back where it was.  Affadavits welcome again.  This is the way it is in here in LOS in my experience.

These announcements from embassies is certainly a new kettle of stew however. 

If our "Test Lab" experience is anything to go by, and it isn't really... then only CD bank accounts might be the only way, or you perhaps begin a monthly wire transfer from your home country.  Or you can get a TH bank that has foreign deposit privileges to save the $50 monthly wire transfer fee such as Bangkok Bank/USA. And keep your ATM receipts which always fade away. LOL

If you are US citizen I would pay attention to the latest announcements and FAQ from US Citizens services.  The latest contains a veiled warning.  Just because they will provide Affidavits for the remainder of the year, it does not necessarily mean they will be accepted by your Local IM now or in future.  And checking with your local IM tomorrow might tell you affadavit is Okay in 4 months when you try to renew. Then again they can change their minds in a few months.  And the monthly deposit method could mean anything in future. Expect more changes.

RECENT FAQ
"As of October 26, 2018, U.S. citizens can verify they meet the income requirements directly with Royal Thai Immigration by providing a local bank statement indicating a minimum deposit of 800,000 Thai Baht or a local bank statement showing a monthly deposit of at least 65,000 Thai Baht. Applicants should refer to the above-referenced websites for specifics regarding the timing and conditions associated with these deposits."

Last observation... look at the Malaysian My Second Home Visa http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/
This looks to me like where immigration is headed here.  An Malaysia recently discontinued accepting Pensions for income or purchasing property.  The only acceptable method now is a substantial local bank account which you can't withdraw or move funds.

IMHO, it's kind of unproductive to point fingers at the embassis. It's seems obvious to me the new head of IM knowing his local officials might not follow his dictates from BKK, he cut the head of the snake by making demands of embassies, knowing the embassies could not, or would not comply. Kill all letters and affidavits at once.  Strategically, a productive move for him.

The embassy demands were made 4 months before he became the new head of immigration.  So I guess you can go back to the drawing board.  Hint look for the embassies with the laziest employees.

6 hours ago, Mojado said:

Bangkok Bank IAT Transfer.jpg

The bad thing about getting any Social Security, pension or any other direct deposits to BKK bank is you cannot get an ATM card to get your money, You have to go to BKK Bank in person with your passport to withdraw  your money. If you are sick, your wife cannot go in to withdraw money and when you die, the bank keep the money or until your family takes them to court, I;m only going by what they told ne when I inquired about doin a direct transfer for my pension.

• Like 1