Just Received Some Bad News For US Citizens. No More Income Affidavits.

When I was a recruit in the US Army, my drill instructor, whom I remember well, had a colorful phrase that he used when he chided us not to assume anything.  So I don't. I will follow any newly issued instructions from the Thai government regarding the proof of retirement income amounting to the equivalent of 65,000 baht or more per month; however, in the absence of new instructions, Immigration cannot reasonably expect me to present an affidavit of income, nor to have had 800,000 in a Thai bank for three months nor to have 65,000 per month deposited in a Thai bank after January 1, 2019.  It seems likely that immigration will continue to accept the same proof of income that they have been accepting all along and that is, in my case, evidence of the required amount being deposited into my foreign checking account on a monthly basis.
Just hope there.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Really?

I have been going there for years just for info., it is the best office in the country for a populated area.

I always get fast and efficient service there. Never spent more then an hour there for any service.  My last 90 day took 3 minutes.

Read the Chiang Mai forum if you want to hear about a nightmare.

Jomtien is pretty good never seen any ¨chaos¨ what so ever....

The TM-30 desk is not at all the same as the retirement or 90-day desk.  Especially in high-season, it can take hours - line out the door quite a ways, with every tourist seeking an extension in it, plus those on family and work extensions.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Send with mobile app. I don't know if I am allowed to post links. There is a Youtube video showing how to send money with DeeMoney Mobile App. And it's on their site. "In person" is an option, but not a requirement. 

But you have to register in person to use the app. I checked it out a while back as an option to send money from here.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Why?  You afraid they will steal your money?

My savings will give me a much better interest in my home country . They are safe there, not in Thailand. 

• Confused 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

But you have to register in person to use the app. I checked it out a while back as an option to send money from here.

Right. I thought the other poster meant we need to visit BKK every time we send. If one trip to Bangkok sorts this affidavit issue, it's time well spent. Just a possible option. 

• Like 1

Just now, marcusarelus said:

You have to enroll and give them your docs in Bangkok

Yes. That's correct. I misunderstood you because I read your post too quickly. If one trip to Bangkok solves this issue, it's probably time well spent. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 6:15 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Why can't you understand it? Some people have the income but not enough funds to do the 800k. If they'd been warned early this was going to happen maybe they would have saved the 800k.

You're kidding right?  There is very little difference between being broke and 25k in the bank.  Maybe Thailand will lose 50 people out of a million expats and that's only Brits and Americans as the other embassies don't mind a bit of paper work to keep the poor folk happy. 

There is a vocal minority here that have been scamming the system that are now screaming.  If you really have the income coming in it's going to be OK (my thought after reading the American embassy quotes and the British interview). 

2 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

Yes. That's correct. I misunderstood you because I read your post too quickly. If one trip to Bangkok solves this issue, it's probably time well spent. 

Yeap, it should be well worth if a person must start sending back out funds.   Heck, I live in Bangkok and almost went to one of their 4 metro Bangkok locations last week just to register in case I ever need to send money out on a frequent basis.  I already have SWIFT capability on my Krungsri ibanking (and I have used it once...it works....payment arrived my US bank 6 hours later), but DeeMoney is cheaper on their sending fee.  Plus, I been using the Bt800K in a Thai bank for many years now for my annual extension.

However, until I need to start transmitting frequently "for whatever reason" I don't want to give any company  (especially a Thai company) important identity information such as copy of my passport and what ever else is required for registering an account.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Only good for one year plus one on reentry. To stay indefinitely people usually use retirement extensions.

Sure, I was replying to someone that doesn't want to keep 800K in Thailand. A non 'O-A' is a way around that.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

everal months of overhead-costs) would really suck, but I'd survive, thanks to having most funds in the USA.

It's not so much not trusting Thai banks, so much as immigration, who have proven to me that they cannot be trusted (direct experience attempting a Non-O stamp and annual-extension with all the required docs, combined with frequent reports of arbitrary interrogations and denials at airports, and now this letter-business) - so literally anything could happen at some unknown point in the future.  I wouldn't want a ton of money in a Thai account, which I might or might not be able to access from Cambodia, Vietnam, or where ever I wound-up.

I agree completely- it's not so much that I worry about someone stealing the money per se, it's all my strange experiences in the past with Thai imm and the upcoming election; and my history of bringing money in and a sharp baht devaluation causing a loss of $22,000.  I promised to never keep money in a Thai bank unless there is no other choice.  Ever since my loss- I have always used Us Bank accounts and Debits via the ATM system in Thailand. It takes along time to save $22,000 which is almost a retirement extension.= in today's money.  In 1997 when I lost that money- I had time to  work harder and recoup. When you're getting social security - you are of the age where recovery from financial disaster is virtually impossible,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Dee money only has offices in Bangkok which makes it a no go for most people in Thailand

Not at all. You can set up your account with them on the phone or using their live chat.

I don't live in Bangkok, and I just did that, have already used it.

It works fine and their tech support is excellent.

My only displeasure is that the exchange rate on transfers to Cambodia in USD are very poor. (around 29 baht/$). I don't know though if that is from Dee money side or the receiver side (Wing; for Cambodia you can only send to a Wing account. Other countries you can send to a bank).

The app tells you ahead of time what exchange rate you will get and what fee.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I agree completely- it's not so much that I worry about someone stealing the money per se, it's all my strange experiences in the past with Thai imm and the upcoming election; and my history of bringing money in and a sharp baht devaluation causing a loss of $22,000.  I promised to never keep money in a Thai bank unless there is no other choice.  Ever since my loss- I have always used Us Bank accounts and Debits via the ATM system in Thailand. It takes along time to save $22,000 which is almost a retirement extension.= in today's money.  In 1997 when I lost that money- I had time to  work harder and recoup. When you're getting social security - you are of the age where recovery from financial disaster is virtually impossible,

Why are you posting a random amount in US dollars?  That makes absolutely no sense.  I could say I lost $4,000,000.00.  How much could you in the realm of real possibilities could you lose by putting 800,000 in the bank in Thailand?  You are using the chicken little argument to try and scare people.  Come on now what is the realistic risk to 800,000 in a Thai bank?  Remember the baht is not going to come off a dollar peg again as that is a once in a lifetime occurrence.

• Thanks 1

A couple of DeeMoney threads are running ThaiVisa.....just click here to go to one of them.   And below is a partial quote where DeeMoney answered a question about how to signup.  No-can-do register/open an account via online like setting at your computer with a Leo in hand.  Instead, you must visit one of their offices with passport in hand to register.  After registering you can then start using their app to send money from the comfort of your residence with Leo in hand....or go to a branch in person to do a transfer.

image.png.54bb244ea6db809016954bf1e6a41971.png

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not at all. You can set up your account with them on the phone or using their live chat.

My only displeasure is that the exchange rate on transfers to Cambodia in USD are very poor. (around 29 baht/$). I don't know though if that is from Dee money side or the receiver side (Wing; for Cambodia you can only send to a Wing account. Other countries you can send to a bank).

OK I'll try it. 

1 minute ago, Pib said:

A couple of DeeMoney threads are running ThaiVisa.....just click here to go to one of them.   And below is a partial quote where DeeMoney answered a question about how to signup.  No-can-do register/open an account via online like setting at your computer with a Leo in hand.  Instead, you must visit one of their offices with passport in hand to register.  After registering you can then start using their app to send money from the comfort of your residence with Leo in hand....or go to a branch in person to do a transfer.

image.png.54bb244ea6db809016954bf1e6a41971.png

Not the case, I did it all from my phone and computer. Just give them a call or Line them at @DeeMoney

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Did you have to fax/email a copy of your passport?  This goes against what they earlier said in other DeeMoney related threads.

15 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I do agree with this. I keep the minimum amount of cash here - 400K for a marriage extension. In another account, I keep 20K to 40K a month coming in and my wife's paycheck every month. I need no more and as a young pensioner, I do not want to put large amounts of foreign currency into Thailand when my AUD is so poor at the moment. My average yield at home is 6% and I get dividends as well that yearly, pays 100% of my health insurance bills from a family trust. As long as I keep those shares under the trust, I will always be able to afford my health premiums yearly til I am 70. 

I don't want to bring in more then I need as it is dead money for me. I think many others think like me but then, I think many others were also gaming the system.

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 1

Yeap, before (on 1 Oct 18) when asked in a related thread they replied a person "had to physically visit one of their offices" to register....see their below 1 Oct reply.  Obviously they have changed their mind/policy based on Sheryl's post above.

Edited by Pib

That's news. When that company started promoting that here they clearly said to open the account you were required to visit their office in Bangkok.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I just went to the dee money website to look around, most of their links are dead including any signup info or ability to signup for an account, The only thing I could look at was exchange rates which seemed fair and their transfer fee of 150B. I think I will stick with moneygram or try that transferwise, even for a little more in transfer fees i will feel much safer with a company that has a proper and functioning website.

2 minutes ago, Notagain said:

I just went to the dee money website to look around, most of their links are dead including any signup info or ability to signup for an account, The only thing I could look at was exchange rates which seemed fair and their transfer fee of 150B. I think I will stick with moneygram or try that transferwise, even for a little more in transfer fees i will feel much safer with a company that has a proper and functioning website.

Remember, DeeMoney is for transfering money "out" of Thailand; not in.   Just like with Transferwise, you can not transfer out of Thailand; just transfer money into Thailand.

16 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There is very little difference between being broke and 25k in the bank.

Assume you mean $25K USD - an amount can cover ~2 years of overhead in Thailand.  It's not a small thing to many.

46 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

If you really have the income coming in it's going to be OK (my thought after reading the American embassy quotes and the British interview).

I hope you and the embassies are right about just showing deposits to a Thai bank.  Immigration has yet to say what they will accept.

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There is a vocal minority here that have been scamming the system that are now screaming.  If you really have the income coming in it's going to be OK (my thought after reading the American embassy quotes and the British interview). 

It's those who have an honest "gross worldwide income" of 40K 65K/mo who could be screwed by this, depending on how any replacement-system works (if at all).

Scammers can use immigration's preferred extension-method - agents - with no bank-money or proof of income.  Nothing has changed for them, yet.

17 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

With all the recent shootings and pipe bombs in the mail and the vagaries of the IRS and American law enforcement I feel my money is safer in Thailand. 

You see it's all in your point of view.  Facts are not discussed here. 

The FDIC has never failed.  See the S&L scandal for how bad it can get in terms of bank-failures, and all depositors (who did not exceed the insurance-limits) were OK.  Besides, I'm not predicting a Cypress-style "bail-in" or similar.  It's immigration's unpredictability that is the greatest danger to expats here - far more than a potential bank failure, imo.  I can get access to my USA-money quickly, from just about anywhere. 

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Remember, DeeMoney is for transfering money "out" of Thailand; not in.   Just like with Transferwise, you can not transfer out of Thailand; just transfer money into Thailand.

Either way if they cant even maintain a website im not trusting them transferring anything for me.

47 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No they won't and they are safer in Thailand

Yes I will get a much better interest in my country Norway . And I can discuss in any thread I want . Factual information is not your strongest points. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Notagain said:

What "dead links" are you talking about?  Their links work for me.  Now some of the icons you might think are sublinks but they are just icons/images---they are not sublinks leading to something else.

7 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It's immigration's unpredictability that is the greatest danger to expats here - far more than a potential bank failure, imo.  

Hum... Could you please remind me which Thai Immigration changes have been a "danger" to expats in Thailand? In the last 10 years by example? My memory fails to do it...