Buying A Web Server

lingyai

If the webserver is just for hosting your own site, any average home computer and network components will do. The rest is a matter of software and a fast, stable internet connection. I'd recommend Linux - all the software you need is there for free.

Where are you located? If in Chiang Mai and you want to hire someone to set up your server - PM me.

Edited by Cyberstar

Hosting on your own servers is generally not a good idea because of the iffy internet connections over here.

Part of the price when renting hosting is in the fact they are on a much more stable internet backbone, with all necessary back up systems in place, both power and access!

Thanks for the replies so far. I should have stated yes it needs to be hosted here in Thailand. Prices outside Thailand are cheaper I know :o

I would have the server in the CAT building where a lot of servers are located (paying a company co-location fees).

Any thoughts on where to buy a server? Has anybody bought a server or a computer from Dell while in Thailand?

Here is the information you will need to get a response on your question. No, I do not get anything and I just placed an order through her for other stuff.

Pannee Wanichwattanavorachai (Ann)

Account Manager

Dell Corporation (Thailand) Co., Ltd.

Bangkok Line: 0-2670-7200 Ext. 2650

Bangkok Fax : 0-2670-0029-30

Direct Fax : 007-604-633-9650

Toll Free : 1800-006-006 Ext. 2650

E-mail : [email protected]

Edited by mouse

You'll get better suggestions if you tell us what kind of site(s) you will be hosting and what kind of traffic you expect. The recommendations can vary alot depending on the intended use.

The server It would have to be capable of handling 500+ hits a day and a site with some scripts.

You'll get better suggestions if you tell us what kind of site(s) you will be hosting and what kind of traffic you expect. The recommendations can vary alot depending on the intended use.

The server It would have to be capable of handling 500+ hits a day and a site with some scripts.

You don't need much power for that. Celeron/Sempron with 512mb ram.

I think the good internet connection is the more important point.....

I think the good internet connection is the more important point.....

But that has nothing to do with choosing your server hardware.