Mystery of the Swedish man's empty bank account - it was a Thai family inside job after all!

snoop1130

13 hours ago, seajae said:

daughter needs to be locked up for theft, thais continually do crap like this because they are never made to face up to their actions, daughter or not, this is really bad parenting, she needs to be made responsible for what she did

and just how did she get access ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OmarZaid said:

and just how did she get access ?

The photo shows several ATM withdrawals of 20,000B each. Plus one much bigger withdrawal with the bank code "BR". Not sure what that stands for. Branch withdrawal?

So it seems likely that she had access to the card and that she knew the PIN, and maybe that she had access to the bank book also for the larger withdrawal.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

If it was my daughter, I would be very sorely tempted to pursue the case to teach her a lesson.  

As soon as you pursue it there goes the rest of the money. she will need a lawyer, court costs, finds, etc. You pay or she goes to jail. is that what you want? Then she comes out of jail with nothing. You pay again. Is that good for you and your family? Bottom-line: Keep the legal system out of it if at all possible. It is a internal -family matter. Deal with it.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, BestB said:

How naive do you have to be to believe that wife was not on it?

how did daughter know account number ? Received OTP and had full access to this account to be able to make purchases online?

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Now it has been discovered that the money was in fact all spent in an online shopping spree from the 16th August to the 17th of September by Nonthaphat's eldest daughter

If it was all online spending, all the daughter needed to know was the card details, no need for account number or access to the account apart from this. A snapshot of both sides of the card gives this information.

13 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

It should be the wife who is locked up for divulging the account details to members of her family !!

Why maybe the guy left his bank book about easy for someone to extract the info or maybe they daughter had access for emergency and decided some new stuff was a emergency. So many ready to throw about blame without a clue

• Like 1

Don't know about you guys but my son has all my investment details/passwords. I know he would not steal anything because, 1. he is richer than I am, 2. he is a good guy and I would blame myself if I raised a crook, 3. he is not Thai, and 4. he knows if he needed money for whatever reason I would just give it to him.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

My brother, who was 40 something at the time, forged my widowed mother's name on a bank loan for a new car. $10,000. Think about it. They give car loans away in Canada to anyone. But,my brother was a useless lying POS. He reneged and never made a payment. I begged mom to have him arrested but she wouldn't. Thankfully he's dead now. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Many Thais know that the world owes them a living.

Yes just like the many young people in the US who do not work and if they do they do not pay the rent. Be a landlord in the US for a while and you will see it all, no thais involved

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

If it was all online spending, all the daughter needed to know was the card details, no need for account number or access to the account apart from this. A snapshot of both sides of the card gives this information.

Do not think so. It usually asks for OTP, just atm card number is not enough. If it has shopping card number attached to account , then yeah possibly , but it also has limit which you set yourself. 

But even assuming it’s as easy as you say, she still had to get her hands on actual card to get info from both sides of the card 

15 hours ago, johng said:

No mention of what the Swedish man
(whose money went missing) thought about it !

my thoughts exactly, i would want the daughter prosecuted to the full extend of the law regardless of what the wife thought. if necessary the wife could have it on her toes if she never liked it. i would be done with that  family.

Edited by catman20
  • Like 2

Well wasn't that a big surprise................  NOT!!!!!!!     I bet about 80% of Thai Visa posters were expecting it to be an inside job.   Just like many (but not all) of the other "mysterious bank thefts."  Some are down to dishonest staff.  By own bank have told me that is exactly why their security systems have increased over the last 2 years.

The only surprising thing is that no-one admitted to noticing all the new clothes, cute watches and jewellery, makeup, Ipads, 60" curved TV's that she (presumably) now owned.   That is a lot to spend in Thailand without someone in the family noticing it.............

"Oh, have new boyfriend.  He very rich!!!!"    Yeah RIGHT!!!!!!   Someone would have noticed.  She wouldn't have spent it all on milky drinks and honey toast or she would be as big as a house by now.

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ebean001 said:

As soon as you pursue it there goes the rest of the money. she will need a lawyer, court costs, finds, etc. You pay or she goes to jail. is that what you want? Then she comes out of jail with nothing. You pay again. Is that good for you and your family? Bottom-line: Keep the legal system out of it if at all possible. It is a internal -family matter. Deal with it.

The lawyer is her problem. The court costs are her problem. The fines and/or imprisonment are her problem. She made her bed so must lie in it. You shouldn't become an enabler.

You are proposing double standards. I suppose you support the redbull family for helping get and keep their son out of the country to avoid facing charges. You accept theft in your own family but not theft by third parties. You shouldn't have it both ways.

Edited by GarryP
  • Confused 1