Reporting residence on return to Thailand

I know it's been asked many times, and I am still never sure what the answer is?

I returned to Pattaya Saturday night from a UK funeral. 

Same address as always.

New TM6 and new stamp on the passport. 

Next day a family crisis in northern Thailand and a seven hours drive to the village. 

Obviously the reporting in Jomtien is not possible. 

So I went to the local police station and we had a chat.

He completed a report for me stating the above facts and i signed and he authenticated it and signed.

So, from the numerous questions before mine, on the same subject,  where do I stand.?

I asked at the airport and an efficient and official looking officer said no problem if you are returning to the same address. 

I know from reading here that this is not always the correct answer. 

Reporting to the police station I understand to be accepted by the IO.

My 90 day reports started again from 27/10.

My retirement extension expires 09/03/2019.

Jomtien is my local Immigration office. 

I know it's like pulling hens teeth getting a consistent response on immigration policy in Thailand. 

But am I standing OK?

Or do I need to do something else.

Before we had a local Immigration office, I frequently reported my return at the local cop shop using the TM30 and obtaining the signed receipt. On my next visit to my IO, I completed a new TM30 and took the receipt from the cop shop.

My IO never batted an eyelid.

1 hour ago, dallen52 said:

I know it's like pulling hens teeth getting a consistent response on immigration policy in Thailand. 

But am I standing OK?

Or do I need to do something else.

I've never bothered, just put my address on the entry form.

I don't do 90-day reporting as I'm never in the country that long.

It's just another excuse for a local immigration payday IMHO.

Been here off and on for nearly 10 years now, it's never been a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

This is 100% correct. Even if going to a hotel somewhere else where they photocopy your pasport then coming back home to my rented condo I don't need to report my condo address again.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Jomtien has told people that are on a extension of stay based upon retirement they do not have to do a TM30 form everytime they make a trip out of the country.

Going by that I don't think you have a problem at all.

Why does Jomtien only say that for retired people? What about all the others like the ones on tourist visas, Ed visas, etc?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Jomtien has told people that are on a extension of stay based upon retirement they do not have to do a TM30 form everytime they make a trip out of the country.

Thanks Joe.

But the lass I saw last time said I have to do every time.

She even printed the receipt on the back of a pre used Chinese application for extension. lol.

Environmentally aware if nothing else. 

I will try and give it a miss.

To see what does happen, if anything. 

It's only the TM6 number that changes.

Some of the above is mis information.  I  recently returned from Viet Nam. I flew in to Chiang Mai after Immigration was closed at Promenada. So I stayed overnight in a guesthouse and because it was raining in the morning I told the owner he had to do it. He didn't even know what a TM30 was but he said ok.  He went to the airport location and got it done. Took him half the day and he was pissed.

So, ok two weeks later I had to use a service to get my one year (lets call it a visa renewal ok) done and the guy in the office told me I was sheet out of luck because the address on the renewal application was my home address and the address on the TM30 was the guesthouse address.

He told me Immigration would not renew my application.  In other words I was supposed to drive home (100 km away) then drive back to Immigration and do ANOTHER TM30. How flucking stupid is that?

Of course what I learned and what one should probably do is just go to Immigration and use your home address. Don't mention the guesthouse you had to stay in because the office was closed when your plane came in.  And of course don't bitch that you had to stay overnight and pay 700-1000 for a decent guesthouse because they were closed or not smart enough to have someone at the airport take care of it like the re-entry visas.  The whole system is a joke.  

Edited by KevinboyCM

Was at Nan Immigration two weeks ago getting a Single Reentry Permit and asked if I needed to report to them upon return from overseas. Said no. As this was not what I was expecting I had the wife ask and discuss in Thai just to confirm. Said no to her as well. I was doing the 90 day report as well and they even asked for my return date into the country to set the date for the next 90 day report.

8 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

Was at Nan Immigration two weeks ago getting a Single Reentry Permit and asked if I needed to report to them upon return from overseas. Said no. As this was not what I was expecting I had the wife ask and discuss in Thai just to confirm. Said no to her as well. I was doing the 90 day report as well and they even asked for my return date into the country to set the date for the next 90 day report.

Why would they even ask that? Makes absolutely no sense at all. Your next 90 day report is 90 days from your last report date unless you leave the country and come back in which would then be 90 days from your re-entry date. 

I can also confirm that with my previous 90 day report I was told that I neglected to fill out the TM30 and had to get that done before they would do the 90 day stamp.  I was not even aware of what the TM30 was.  They wanted to fine me 1500 baht. I talked to a guy there and he told me it was the responsibility of the owner so I told IMM I refused to pay it and just sat there (Promenada). After awhile the girl said ok I'll do it for you this time. And she did. Go figure.

Edited by KevinboyCM

2 minutes ago, KevinboyCM said:

Why would they even ask that? Makes absolutely no sense at all. Your next 90 day report is 90 days from your last report date unless you leave the country and come back in which would then be 90 days from your re-entry date. 

I know, but they did.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you had ever done 90 day report you would know that it is FOC unless you are careless enough to neglect to do it either 14 days before or 7 days after the expiry date.  

It is absurd. You give your address to immigration when you enter the country at the airport, why on earth would you have to go and give it again to immigration the following day. And on paper too. A typical third world system, worthy of The Gambia or Liberia. Bizarre. Why can't Thailand buy a computer that covers this stuff.....other countries manage to do it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

It is absurd. You give your address to immigration when you enter the country at the airport, why on earth would you have to go and give it again to immigration the following day. And on paper too. A typical third world system, worthy of The Gambia or Liberia. Bizarre. Why can't Thailand buy a computer that covers this stuff.....other countries manage to do it.

Each office seems to make up their own rules as they go along. I even have to report my residence when I get my extension of stay (non B) !!...yet I never even left the country! 

What gets me is this is a law....report within 24 hours of arriving in the country. How hard is that to implement consistently across the country....and yet I report my address every 90 days, and once a year with the visa....no, let's have more paperwork!!! lol

4 hours ago, KevinboyCM said:

Some of the above is mis information.  I  recently returned from Viet Nam. I flew in to Chiang Mai after Immigration was closed at Promenada. So I stayed overnight in a guesthouse and because it was raining in the morning I told the owner he had to do it. He didn't even know what a TM30 was but he said ok.  He went to the airport location and got it done. Took him half the day and he was pissed.

So, ok two weeks later I had to use a service to get my one year (lets call it a visa renewal ok) done and the guy in the office told me I was sheet out of luck because the address on the renewal application was my home address and the address on the TM30 was the guesthouse address.

He told me Immigration would not renew my application.  In other words I was supposed to drive home (100 km away) then drive back to Immigration and do ANOTHER TM30. How flucking stupid is that?

Of course what I learned and what one should probably do is just go to Immigration and use your home address. Don't mention the guesthouse you had to stay in because the office was closed when your plane came in.  And of course don't bitch that you had to stay overnight and pay 700-1000 for a decent guesthouse because they were closed or not smart enough to have someone at the airport take care of it like the re-entry visas.  The whole system is a joke.  

I'm in Nangrong because of family issue. 

But I stay at the Nangrong hotel. 

$15 a night creature comforts. Central.????

I show my Thai licence. 

Not passport. 

Otherwise we would all be running around like headless chickens. 

Between the rental in Pattaya and the house book address on my licences, Ta khem village.

And my choice of the hotel for a couple of nights. 

I'm not sure if these systems actually talk to each other?

My TM6 has the same home address every time I return to Pattaya. 

Just wish they would all sing the same song.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Where do you do your extensions? In Chiang Mai they want to see an updated TM30.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I 2nd what Ubonjoe has said. I have personally been told on 2 occasions at Jomtien that there is no need to report address on a TM30 on returning to the same address from inside and outside Thailand on a retirement extension. Other offices vary, thats why you are getting conflicting advice. Dont worry about it just do your 90 report when its due.

"Why does Jomtien only say that for retired people? What about all the others like the ones on tourist visas, Ed visas, etc?"

No they dont!  I live in the Philippines on a retirement visa but come here 2 or 3 times a year on tourist visas for holidays.    Went to Jomtien to get a residence letter for licence renewal. Counter IO insisted that I had to report even tho I was not a resident and on a tourist visa. so filled out the form and queued.

Nice lady on the counter said, yes I did have to report tho  I again pointed out my tourist visa and Philippine residency. She checked my rooming house and they didnt report so said I had too. No fine and gave me a pamphlet for the rooming house. 

I have rented the same room for 6 years while living RP, renewed licence twice but never reported before. No consistency !! 

3 hours ago, Nice Boyd said:

I’m returning to Thailand after 6 weeks, I have a retirement visa, I also got a new passport, how does this work, do they have to transfer paperwork to new passport??? Thank you

You will show both passports on entry to use the re-entry permit in your old passport and they would stamp you into the country your new one. They may do a annotation about your re-entry permit to show the basis for your entry.

Then you will need to go to the immigration office that issued your extension to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

• Like 1

You will show both passports on entry to use the re-entry permit in your old passport and they would stamp you into the country your new one. They may do a annotation about your re-entry permit to show the basis for your entry.
Then you will need to go to the immigration office that issued your extension to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

Thank you,Sir

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app