Australia joins the UK and USA with withdrawal of income verification

1 hour ago, sambum said:

"Do you think that is because all have been living with and abiding the rules?"

Probably 99% of people that use(d) the Embassy letters abide(d) by the rules - I said much earlier in one of these threads that the ones they should be concentrating on are the ones who DIDN'T use the Embassy letters - the ones that ARE using dodgy Visa agencies - they are the ones who are falsifying their income and have led TI to "make a change".

However, that is definitely my last word on the subject - further discussion is pointless, but if you really must have the last word - go ahead!

Let´s say that roughly 200000 expats live in Thailand at the moment. Let´s say that 2% make false income claims. Another 4% use dodgy visa services, which is same bad.
That results in 6 percent out of 200000, which would be 12000 expats. That´s a big problem and that´s why they are starting to put pressure and shutting down all of that. So, me and all other expats have our self to blame. Even if most of us didn´t do this personally, we are a part of the same people to Immigration and Thailand. That would make most people see the reason why.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The fact that there are 66 pages and counting on this thread leads me to the conclusion there are a lot of worried Americans, Brits and Australians.

.......and this thread has the least number of posts. 

Edited by Kadilo

On 11/4/2018 at 2:51 PM, giddyup said:

I make life simple for everyone, I have 800K in a fixed deposit account, never a hassle in 9 years. I understand that not everyone can comply this way, but Thailand makes the rules, so why expect them or the embassy to change to suit your particular situation?

I'm talking in hypothetical terms. I do the 800K route too. It's just nice to have a second option.

I think I am not unreasonable to expect Australian public servants, paid for with my taxes, to deliver service to Australians abroad. If they can't do that, why the hell are we employing them?

On 11/4/2018 at 3:11 PM, giddyup said:

I am an Australian citizen and I do have money invested in Australian banks, but they can't actually force me to lodge a tax return, and according to the ATO I owe them nothing, and that includes any fines that might be levied for a non-return.

Either you are having tax deducted from your deposits beforehand as a non-resident, or you are getting enough franking credits to offset earnings.

They can't force you to lodge a tax return, true. However, they can start freezing your assets if they think you are under-reporting income.

On 11/2/2018 at 5:36 PM, giddyup said:

That was already in place, it didn't satisfy Thai authority obviously.The embassies couldn't lie and say they could verify income, all they could do was witness and sign your declaration.

I'm not surprised the IO wasn't satisfied, first the BE certifies they have seen your documents and then they stick a caveat at the bottom of the certification, doesn't inspire confidence and that's what it's all about, 'we trust our citizen and his documents' doesn't make the embassy culpable. The US and AUS embassies don't even look at documents, 'he swears he is telling the truth'.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HappyAndRich said:

Nope, they want people that can prove means for stay for real, not on a paper that states a number nobody have been able to check.

Every westerner has the means to stay or they could not stay....Save for a few western bums living in the street....They know this too....

The wise man can look at the past to see the future...

And the past 10 years teaches us that visa class by visa class has been squeezed .....So look for more of the same...

The only visa that is untouchable seems to be the elite visa...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Either you are having tax deducted from your deposits beforehand as a non-resident, or you are getting enough franking credits to offset earnings.

They can't force you to lodge a tax return, true. However, they can start freezing your assets if they think you are under-reporting income.

My income hasn't changed in 9 years, other than CPI increases to the pension. I had correspondence with the ATO last year, asked them if I had any monies unpaid, the answer was no. I believe I am probably seen as a non-resident never having been back to Oz in 9 years.

Edited by giddyup

10 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Every westerner has the means to stay or they could not stay....

Most yes, but not all.  There are guys who live in Thailand on Retirement or Marriage Extension but who get their money from working illegally in Thailand. For them the Income Letter without any check is very convenient. They are among those that TI is trying to catch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

what could an old farang work as in Thailand, if any it could only be very few, hardly worth the bother.

Many people consider that 50 yo is not "old" :wink:

Depending of countries, you may have to wait until 60, 65, 70 to receive your pension :sad:

Those on marriage could even be on their 40th, 30th, 20th...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Many people consider that 50 yo is not "old" :wink:

Depending of countries, you may have to wait until 60, 65, 70 to receive your pension :sad:

Those on marriage could even be on their 40th, 30th, 20th...

Other than being self-employed, and work at home on the internet, I don't know what other kind of work a retiree could do in Thailand without a work permit. If you are under 50 then you'd still need a work permit.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

what could an old farang work as in Thailand, if any it could only be very few, hardly worth the bother.

Headmaster private school, property developer, steel fabrication company manager, engineering inspectors, medical equipment sales, pharmaceutical sales, hospital administrator, oil and gas worker supervision, transportation manager, building engineers, aviation systems supervisor, .... do you want me to go on?

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

what could an old farang work as in Thailand, //

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

// I don't know what other kind of work a retiree could do in Thailand without a work permit.

I have meet such a guy in May when looking for carpenter for my condo renovation. A 52 yo guy from my country. He was a carpenter in France and works here building wood furniture/cabinets for a small Thai company in border of Pattaya. Paid daily. He intends to stop working and marry his Thai GF when 60, but for now he need money to stay here.

Probably not the best idea, but not the only one to do so.

5 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I have meet such a guy in May when looking for carpenter for my condo renovation. A 52 yo guy from my country. He was a carpenter in France and works here building wood furniture/cabinets for a small Thai company in border of Pattaya. Paid daily. He intends to stop working and marry his Thai GF when 60, but for now he need money to stay here.

What kind of visa is he here on? I would say that kind of case is pretty rare. He's probably getting paid Thai wages for a start and also runs the risk of being reported by someone.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Yearly Extension "Retirement" (+ 50 yo). French embassy stopped to ask proofs for income letter a few years back already. Easy for him.

It's been easy for a lot of people. For some the good times are now over.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Yes you would think so but I've been offered some of those jobs while on a retirement visa. 

Of course you then run the risk of being reported for working illegally and then being deported. Unless you get a work visa.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Do you know how many income declarations have been proven to be wrong/fraudulent by Thai Immigration?

Presumably zero (or close to zero) - you just prefer to believe that this change is a result of Immigration discovering many fraudulent applications....

We all 'get it', as your username says it all ????.  You (for some obscure reason) are determined to declare that 'you're rich' and (assuming this is true....) would prefer that those without similar amounts of wealth were thrown out, as you're 'sure' (....) everyone else is unworthy.....

No, you are totally wrong. That is not what I want, and have never written.

31 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Most yes, but not all.  There are guys who live in Thailand on Retirement or Marriage Extension but who get their money from working illegally in Thailand. For them the Income Letter without any check is very convenient. They are among those that TI is trying to catch.

10 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Good grief!  You're seriously basing your argument on one 52 year old you met who (for some obscure reason....) told you his age ?????!

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Why are you suprised?

It's pretty obvious that anyone using the income route is going to be worried.

Er - when in my post did I convey the impression of surprise? Yes, it is obvious. It's the number of posts that has me surprised, not the conclusion I have reached.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It would be a mammoth job for the Australian embassy to verify that all statutory declarations were legitimate, hence no prosecutions, or at least none we are aware of, not the kind of thing that would be publicised I imagine. Anyone could see that the present system of just having your stat dec witnessed by the embassy is going to make it very easy for those that can't comply with the Thai requirements. Someone on the Thai side has decided they are not just prepared to take someones word for income any longer.

The stat declaration was a very convenient way to "prove" income. None of my personal income is Australia sourced, so proving an income would be very difficult through a government agency or the embassy... however, I spend 40k per month on rent and utilities alone, so for just 65k a month I wouldn't be eating very well and my wife's family would be starving. I'll have to do it your way, the easy way... deposit 3 million on a Thai bank. Rest assured you'll have Tropo bugging you on this forum for years to come LOL. (joke - 800k will suffice). If they stop the spouse piggyback retirement visa, then I'm out of here, but not until then. They actually discussed that idea about 10 years ago with full intentions of implementing it - Spouse and supporter both had to have 800k to show, but they quashed that idea pretty quickly. With all the other things happening, it's quite possible they may proceed, and foreign couples would need 1.6 million on deposit for 3 months a year. Anything can happen.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Do you know how many income declarations have been proven to be wrong/fraudulent by Thai Immigration?

Presumably zero (or close to zero) - you just prefer to believe that this change is a result of Immigration discovering many fraudulent applications....

We all 'get it', as your username says it all ????.  You (for some obscure reason) are determined to declare that 'you're rich' and (assuming this is true....) would prefer that those without similar amounts of wealth were thrown out, as you're 'sure' (....) everyone else is unworthy.....

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It would be a mammoth job for the Australian embassy to verify that all statutory declarations were legitimate, hence no prosecutions, or at least none we are aware of, not the kind of thing that would be publicised I imagine. Anyone could see that the present system of just having your stat dec witnessed by the embassy is going to make it very easy for those that can't comply with the Thai requirements. Someone on the Thai side has decided they are not just prepared to take someones word for income any longer.

Good to see you 'sticking up' for 'happyand rich' - but (unsuprisingly....) you've ignored the question asked - and deflected.....

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1