Australia joins the UK and USA with withdrawal of income verification

21 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Mark my words. 400k/800k seasoned in a Thai bank, or 40k/65k in a Thai bank every month. You don't have to be Nostradamus to see that.

I wouldn't be so sure about the 40k/65k per month method.

I suspect it will be lump sums only. This is just a hunch of course.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, ukrules said:

That could be a future requirement for new applicants, for those already here using the income method I can imagine nothing changing, there will be a natural thinning of the ranks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackhorse said:

What are you on about? TI Have announced nothing.

Better go hassle your embassy, they are the ones that made an announcement and NOT TI. !!

"Better go hassle your embassy,"  :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Yes, I think you are correct. For those countries whose embassies won't issue "letters" I can see it being lump sums only.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I am well aware of the difference. WHO asked for verification and how ? a letter in Thai, a letter in English where certify and verify could have been confused, orally in English where verify was used instead of certify, we don't know how this happened and that's a problem. The German embassy certifies my income according to the documents seen and.....IS RECEIVING.... They have no problem issuing the letter, TI has no problem accepting it. They haven't got on their high horse shouting WE CAN'T......

TI are accepting the letters for now but what odds would you give that they won't accept them after they stop accepting the ones from UK, US & Aus?

Hua Hin is already saying they won't accept any next year but it's easy to see how that conversation could have been about them not accepting one from the individual's home country rather than a general statement, simple mix-up in what was said, vs what was heard vs what was intended.

Irrespective, my money would be on them stopping accepting the letters from all Embassies - Hope I'm wrong but having as few variants as possible makes sense....

Money in the Bank for 3 months or evidence of regular incoming deposits = 2 versions of standard letters, written in Thai from a source that Immigration can easily reach out to & verify if they feel the need

SIMPLE (for Thai Immigration),  could even go all "Thailand 4.0" & have the Bank's feed the confirmation into Immigration's systems (Not unlike Hotels reporting TM30s) if further proof the letters were genuine was required.

7 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

TI are accepting the letters for now but what odds would you give that they won't accept them after they stop accepting the ones from UK, US & Aus?

Hua Hin is already saying they won't accept any next year but it's easy to see how that conversation could have been about them not accepting one from the individual's home country rather than a general statement, simple mix-up in what was said, vs what was heard vs what was intended.

Irrespective, my money would be on them stopping accepting the letters from all Embassies - Hope I'm wrong but having as few variants as possible makes sense....

Money in the Bank for 3 months or evidence of regular incoming deposits = 2 versions of standard letters, written in Thai from a source that Immigration can easily reach out to & verify if they feel the need

SIMPLE (for Thai Immigration),  could even go all "Thailand 4.0" & have the Bank's feed the confirmation into Immigration's systems (Not unlike Hotels reporting TM30s) if further proof the letters were genuine was required.

The problem is there has been no guidance from TI for the IO's so everyone will be making up their own rules (as normal) which is why I think it important to know who used the word verify, was it some middle management official or is it now TI policy ? I find it strange that there has been no official response from TI, no BKK post announcement where normally officials are quick to seek the limelight regarding protecting Thailand, positively reeks of confusion in the upper echelons. 

2 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Where did you see TI's announce that they would stop accepting letters ?

Nowhere ! :sleep:

Not so strange if - as I think - TI had no project to change rules, but has been surprised by these embassies' decision and must now think about what they should do solve this problem.

No announcement necessary, they will obviously stop accepting letters from UK, US & Aus in July 2019 as:-

1. Income letters are (supposed to be) valid for 6 months
  2. No new Income letters will be issued by UK, US & Aus after 7th January 2019

Or do you want them to formally announce that they don't accept invalid income certificates?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

It's irrelevant, the "Rules" have always been that the income should be verified & the "Nod & a Wink" application of these rules is no longer acceptable to Thailand immigration, it's just another example of Laws/Rules being enforced more - No changes to the rules, just the enforcement.

A number of previous posts suggest that you're just going to "Have a cup of tea, wait & see", I truly hope that when things change your extension is many months off so you have the luxury to do that and the time to make alternative arrangements once the new requirements are known, unfortunately come January there will be guys emailing the British Embassy or going online for appointments at the US/AUS Embassies to learn that they don't issue Income certificates anymore who don't have that luxury & will need to choose between heading out for a new Non-O / Non-OA or leaving Thailand for good.

I'm doing my extension in two weeks. If this is no change in policy and merely a crackdown then based on past experience we can expect it to die a natural 'Thai crackdown death' in two weeks, unfortunately for the Brits, US and AUS citizens their embassies may have jumped the gun and caused an irrevocable situation while the other embassies drank tea/coffee and waited for the clouds to disappear.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Yep, have to make an appointment for passport or notarial services now.

Been that way for over 12 months now.

https://thailand.embassy.gov.au/bkok/Appointments_Page.html

Book an appointment > Notarial service (Documents for use in Thailand > Stat Declarations.

Select date, available appointments are shown (14 per day).

As you advised.  it was easy to book an appointment for witnessing of a Statutory Declaration at the Embassy.

Many thanks for your help.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

I honestly don't think this one will die down as there are 3 (Possibly 4, I'm sure I saw something that Canada had also said it's stopping issuing the letters - apologies if I'm mistaken) different countries involved & I cannot see them all backing down. 

Whilst we're waiting for the new (clear) guidelines on what is acceptable proof of income, it would be great if Immigration could put up notices in their offices highlighting that some Embassies (they don't need to specify which ones in case others stop) will stop issuing income letters from the start of the year & advising people to contact their Embassy to find out how they're affected.

That way at least guys turning up to do 90 day reports, TM28/30s etc... will be aware that it's happening.

Plus it might p155 the Embassies off a bit if they start to get loads of queries ????

There has been a post from a Canadian, no change, still only 3 embassies.

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Apart from the embassy letter and backup evidence,for an extension based on marriage,  do they still require all the photographs,  map of house location and wife's ID card and house book? Oh and the house visit? This will be extension number 3.

Yes, but it’s unlikely you’ll get a home visit for the third extension unless you’re applying at a new office.

18 hours ago, tropo said:

That particular applicant (I tried to find the post again - does anyone have a link?) was given no other option for his next extension. It was 800k seasoned, and that's it. He wasn't given this illusive 65k bank deposit option.

Phuket IO on a bad hair day? If you find the link/thread, it would be interesting to know if the 'victim' asked about the 65k bank deposit regular income option or was even aware of it. Admittedly, there's zero evidence of it being accepted or even offered by any IO anywhere but I still reckon that's because according to the BE letter lady in her radio interview, half the Brits use the seasoned lump sum and the other half does income letters. I guess that was extrapolated from having a fairly good idea on the total amount of Brit retirees over here and knowing how many of them ask for letters?

Maybe Immigration's disregard of their own stated 65k regular income option is couched in their culture where cash is king. Since the 65k regular income option is fundamentally a 12-month hire-purchase option on the lump sum, they want it all, now, up front.

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Phuket IO on a bad hair day? If you find the link/thread, it would be interesting to know if the 'victim' asked about the 65k bank deposit regular income option or was even aware of it. Admittedly, there's zero evidence of it being accepted or even offered by any IO anywhere but I still reckon that's because according to the BE letter lady in her radio interview, half the Brits use the seasoned lump sum and the other half does income letters. I guess that was extrapolated from having a fairly good idea on the total amount of Brit retirees over here and knowing how many of them ask for letters?

Maybe Immigration's disregard of their own stated 65k regular income option is couched in their culture where cash is king. Since the 65k regular income option is fundamentally a 12-month hire-purchase option on the lump sum, they want it all, now, up front.

I thought the lady from BE mentioned that they do ~250 Income Letter applications a month, 3,000 per year would suggest that the vast majority of Non-O/OA Visa holders are using the "Seasoned Lump" method or getting new Visas each year (Seems a few of the Married guys go to Savannakhet each year for a new 1 year Multi-Entry (90 days a time) for which no financial proof is required at all).

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 10:47 PM, melvinmelvin said:

you bet - same question will come up again,

but not sure his answer is very good,

I do 800k/bank and have no experience with income verification

however, when it comes to CoR, Certificate of Residence,

my embassy  does the following;

I hand them a handwritten piece of paper with my address,

they produce an official embassy doc where it says

Mr pip pip, holder of xxx passport nnnnn, has today informed

the xxx embassy that he resides at the following address

xxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

xxxxx

embassy happy (no commitment)  - me happy - Thai authorities happy

surely it must be possible to construct smth similar re income

The reason you have no problem re verification is because the 800k is in a Thai bank and not a foreign bank? And I presume that you also have to have a covering letter from the bank to verify this  or does Thai Immigration (TI) just check the details in your account book?

Re your Certificate of Residence (COR - thanks!) the last time I did an annual extension, I was given a new form by Immigration in addition to the TM7. It is numbered Imm.2, and I am told that they use this to verify the address that they have on file for you on their computer (Sounds like duplicated unnecessary paperwork to me, as I already have to provide them with a copy of the Rental Contract, and Landlord Details, but you know how the Thais love paperwork!) So nothing needed from your Embassy.

And the letter that the British Embassy is stopping providing is very similar to your suggestion - just substitute "has informed the Embassy that he has income and savings  totalling  xxxxx British Pounds" for  "resides at the following address" But TI are NOT happy with that and they want the Embassy to verify the income - therein lies the problem!