Australia joins the UK and USA with withdrawal of income verification

I have asked this in another thread but was wanting to know for long is the Income letter or Statutory Declaration valid for IF we manage to get one late this year before the Embassies stop issuing them. Eg. Aust embassy says deadline January 7 2019.

Could I use an Embassy letter or stat dec signed in late December for an extension due late January 2019?

Just now, orchidfan said:

I have asked this in another thread but was wanting to know for long is the Income letter or Statutory Declaration valid for IF we manage to get one late this year before the Embassies stop issuing them. Eg. Aust embassy says deadline January 7 2019.

Could I use an Embassy letter or stat dec signed in late December for an extension due late January 2019?

The rule is 6 months on the embassy-letters.  Only serious complication so far reported with the letters is in Phuket.  But, they can, and have always, been able to ask for backup-evidence of finances to support the letter - so I would be prepared with this to show, if asked.

Also, you can apply early - and I would try 45 days before your current extension expires.  Maybe they will tell you to wait until 30-days before - varies by office.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The rule is 6 months on the embassy-letters.

I just posted elsewhere - Hua Hin is planning to stop taking them in January.

Separately, I know the Embassy (UK) was asked by immigration to turn them around in 2 weeks because of the risk of exchange rate fluctuation, and that said that was impossible and agreed on 1 month. So I personally would not risk in this environment, trying to do a 6 month lead on a pension letter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The rule is 6 months on the embassy-letters.  Only serious complication so far reported with the letters is in Phuket.  But, they can, and have always, been able to ask for backup-evidence of finances to support the letter - so I would be prepared with this to show, if asked.

Also, you can apply early - and I would try 45 days before your current extension expires.  Maybe they will tell you to wait until 30-days before - varies by office.

JackThompson ...thanks very much for the info. According to the Embassy "notice" they will continue to witness income stat decs  (as previously done) up until early January.  so maybe go and get the "Letter"(stat dec) next month then make the Extension application early as you suggest.

Have pension summary printed out but of course this incme can only be paid under the scheme rules into my Aust bank account.

My local TI office last time were not interested in this..only the Embassy document and Thai translation.

7 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

The exchange rate fluctuations are certainly a pain. Sometimes the pension figure is well over the B40k, sometimes just below!

My wife has separate income annually from company rental....can her "income" be combined with mine?

No.

29 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Offices can/should accept them up to 6 months old, but not all offices have done so in the past, and at this time we don’t know how long they will be accepted into 2019.

I would have thought you’ll be ok if applying in January, but it’s uncertain.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Offices can/should accept them up to 6 months old, but not all offices have done so in the past, and at this time we don’t know how long they will be accepted into 2019.

I would have thought you’ll be ok if applying in January, but it’s uncertain.

If they don't accept the letter for 6 months as both the US and UK Embassy have indicated that is what has been negotiated- there will be many angry people- myself included. 

In fact, just yesterday the US Embassy confirmed in an email to me not only will they be valid for 6 months but one can apply early for the extension.

People as we speak are making  appointments for these letters  at  all 3 Embassies UK/US/AUS. They have to pay the Embassy fee which is around 52 Quid/$50  and some spend money  for  a hotel and food.

My discontent is not directed at you but at a situation that is becoming completely absurd .  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I'm not living from pension cheque to pension cheque, so if that's considered wealthy.....guilty!

Some people would be lost if they did not have this topic to comment on hourly. I chech in to see if there are any new developments, but, just repeats of what has been said hundreds of times already. 

6 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

If they don't accept the letter for 6 months as both the US and UK Embassy have indicated that is what has been negotiated- there will be many angry people- myself included. 

In fact, just yesterday the US Embassy confirmed in an email to me not only will they be valid for 6 months but one can apply early for the extension.

People as we speak are making  appointments for these letters  at  all 3 Embassies UK/US/AUS. They have to pay the Embassy fee which is around 52 Quid/$50  and some spend money  for  a hotel and food.

My discontent is not directed at you but at a situation that is becoming completely absurd .  

I don’t believe anything has been negotiated. The embassies are probably just quoting immigrations current policy.

It will be very unreasonable if immigration don’t continue to honour the letters. I hope they will, but I’m not yet convinced.

The other issue is what they do about people renewing that can’t get letters after January.

There was apparently a meeting of immigration top brass last week, so hopefully we’ll get an official announcement sometime soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I don’t believe anything has been negotiated. The embassies are probably just quoting immigrations current policy.

It will be very unreasonable if immigration don’t continue to honour the letters. I hope they will, but I’m not yet convinced.

The other issue is what they do about people renewing that can’t get letters after January.

There was apparently a meeting of immigration top brass last week, so hopefully we’ll get an official announcement sometime soon.

As mentioned a thousand times already, you can't renew without the letter,after Jan or any other time. 

22 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Some people would be lost if they did not have this topic to comment on hourly. I chech in to see if there are any new developments, but, just repeats of what has been said hundreds of times already. 

Pot, kettle, black. All your stupid questions on the Phuket sub-forum come to mind.......

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cleverman said:

As mentioned a thousand times already, you can't renew without the letter,after Jan or any other time. 

That is just your opinion and is certainly not based upon anything official from immigration.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tropo said:

What they should be doing is making an appointment with their respective embassies to obtain one before their cut off date (if UK, US or AU citizens). That gives most people until July to obtain another extension and some breathing room. They aren't doing it. I'm the only one who has booked an appointment on Jan 2 & 3, the only January dates available so far until Jan 4 becomes open tomorrow, the last chance before the January 7 cut off date. There are only 14 slots available per day.

I suspect that most people aren't aware of the income stat dec being valid for 6 months. Perhaps others, after hearing the report from Phuket a few days ago don't believe they will be accepted at all next year.

I would suggest nationals from other countries get one too. I got mine a few days before the Australian embassy broke the good news, which I feel is inevitable for every embassy.

Absolutely excellent advise for TVF members.

What concerns me is the number who don't even know about the withdrawal of these Embassy services.

I was at a function last Friday, approx 30+ expats.

4 American, 2 Swiss, 1 French, 1 German, 3 Australians, the rest British.

Only 2 Brits knew the Embassies were ceasing the service, the rest were oblivious to the news.

42 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Absolutely excellent advise for TVF members.

What concerns me is the number who don't even know about the withdrawal of these Embassy services.

I was at a function last Friday, approx 30+ expats.

4 American, 2 Swiss, 1 French, 1 German, 3 Australians, the rest British.

Only 2 Brits knew the Embassies were ceasing the service, the rest were oblivious to the news.

why should it concern you?, you running things here. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 3:18 PM, BobBKK said:

That's not true. I know many American friends who 'swore' they had the income but didn't and laughed about it (how foolish the system was). I can't see what all the fuss is about. IF you have the income, and immigration accept that 65k into your account is proof what's issue?  IF immigration don't accept 65k into your Thai bank is proof then that is madness.

<removed>

Seriously, the Brits (that I know - and myself have to send copies of Bank Statements, and any other relevant documentation to substantiate our income. The Americans on the other hand (as far as I know) do not have to do this, and a "hand on heart" statement appears to be sufficient.

"IF you have the income, and immigration (TI) accept that 65k into your account is proof what's issue?" The issue is - as explained a few times previously - is that no one knows how long you need to have been putting 65k a month into your Thai bank account. Some say 3 months, the same length of time as the 800k requirement has to be seasoned, whilst others say it has to have been going in for 12 months, in which case, a lot of people will be unable to satisfy the requirements. (if as I quoted in an earlier post - your annual extension is due in say, July) Others say "an average of 65k per month".

What is needed - and has not yet been forthcoming, is a statement from TI clarifying the situation.

Edited by ubonjoe
inflammatory comment with a profanity removed
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, sambum said:

<removed>

Seriously, the Brits (that I know - and myself have to send copies of Bank Statements, and any other relevant documentation to substantiate our income. The Americans on the other hand (as far as I know) do not have to do this, and a "hand on heart" statement appears to be sufficient.

"IF you have the income, and immigration (TI) accept that 65k into your account is proof what's issue?" The issue is - as explained a few times previously - is that no one knows how long you need to have been putting 65k a month into your Thai bank account. Some say 3 months, the same length of time as the 800k requirement has to be seasoned, whilst others say it has to have been going in for 12 months, in which case, a lot of people will be unable to satisfy the requirements. (if as I quoted in an earlier post - your annual extension is due in say, July) Others say "an average of 65k per month".

What is needed - and has not yet been forthcoming, is a statement from TI clarifying the situation.

I wonder the real reason all three have stopped at the same time?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, orchidfan said:

I'll be hoping I can use mine in late June, but don't wait, make an appointment now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cleverman said:

I am aware of that. We are waiting to find out what, if anything, immigration are going to accept in place of the letter.

27 minutes ago, tropo said:

I'll be hoping I can use mine in late June, but don't wait, make an appointment now.

Just made one for an Aussie mate for 19th December.

The fact so many booking times are still available shows how little the majority of expats may be aware of the scenario.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

I wonder the real reason all three have stopped at the same time?

because they are taking things too literally, they aren't playing the game of 'certify means verify', BE throws a hissy fit and TI looks on amused.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cleverman said:

Where did you read that?

According to my IO they have a directive that allows income letters, affidavits, stat decs etc, to be accepted for up to 6 months after issue, unless they receive a directive to the contrary.

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

because they are taking things too literally, they aren't playing the game of 'certify means verify', BE throws a hissy fit and TI looks on amused.

Immigration asked them to 'verify', not 'certify'.

Immigration already accept 'certified' copies, as in when you sign the copies of your documents for an extension.

Your certifying it's a copy of the original.

'Verify' means to authenticate the document and it's contents, very different from 'certifying'.