Thailand’s English proficiency is getting worse: study

rooster59

But Thailand is not bad in terms of Education Spending. But exactly what are they spending the money on?

https://www.ef.se/epi/regions/asia/thailand/

This World Bank statistic refers to the percentage of total government expenditure dedicated to education. The global average for EF EPI countries from 2010 to 2013 was 14.0%, with the range being 7.3% (Azerbaijan) to 31.3% (Thailand).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The current regime should be very happy. As the results in this OP show, they're well on their way to "Making Thailand Great Again!"  :cheesy:

My wife (who's very fluent in English, especially after years of marriage) and I have a regular, now predictable routine about this.  Whenever we're out and about doing some business that requires conversation with Thais, she'll invariably tell me, "Go ahead and talk to them, they can speak English."

I already know what's going to happen after many such encounters, usually in a retail or customer service setting, but gotta humor the wife. So I start speaking slowly, clearly in English to the Thai person, and almost always even in BKK, it quickly becomes clear they have no idea what I'm talking about. And they're either unwilling or unable to say anything in response in English that shows they have any clue.

So in the end, my wife ends up talking to them in Thai. Could have saved a lot of time and trouble if we had just done that first. The wife continues to think other Thais she encounters can speak English as she does. And almost always, she's very mistaken.

I got the exact same scenareo with my misses, she always says "but day spik inglish soo gooood" and Im like "yea but they cant understand a word Im saying".  Their comprehension and grasping ability is next to non existant.  So before I go out I verse the misses with Google Translate,  Google pics, a book of ABC's crayon drawings and finger puppets.  Eventually she gets it and it saves me hours dealing with shop assistants.

Edited by BigT73
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I was surprised that Myanmar is so low in the proficiency ratings. I always assumed that English was well spoken there. Perhaps it's just in larger cities?

Laos doesn't even get a mention, presumably not enough Laotians took the test to even register in the rankings.

I agree with you I have been to many places in Myanmar, even close to China ( Kentung) and was amazed not only mature adults speak well and have their children at school learning it.  UAE has Dubai lots English there. Kazakhstan I work in a few months a year in the main cities its OK, in smaller cities mainly hotels and supermarkets.  Have doubts on this survey.

6 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I am a strong believer in the necessity of having a good command and understanding of your mother tongue if

you are to learn foreign languages well. (in reality, to learn anything well)

was wondering, these Thai English teachers, are they any good in Thai?

lots of Thais have a fairly flakey command of the Thai language

not a good starting point for learning / teaching English

same question re their pupils

to add to that,

in Norway there are many refugees, asylum seekers, economic immigrants - whatever

their kids need schooling - which they get free

years ago school authorities concluded that many if not most of these kids ain't fit for learning

'cause they have a rather lousy command of their mother tongue

so, step 1, learn them their mother tongue - then onto the rest

costs shitloads of satang - importing foreigners to teach foreigners their mother tongue

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

to add to that,

in Norway there are many refugees, asylum seekers, economic immigrants - whatever

their kids need schooling - which they get free

years ago school authorities concluded that many if not most of these kids ain't fit for learning

'cause they have a rather lousy command of their mother tongue

so, step 1, learn them their mother tongue - then onto the rest

costs shitloads of satang - importing foreigners to teach foreigners their mother tongue

I, being a Canadian with Norwegian heritage, taught English at a government school in Phetchaburi where the had an Italian, an Ethiopian & two Russians teaching English?? <deleted>!

• Haha 2