Same-sex marriage bill is two steps away from becoming law.

snoop1130

Same-sex marriage bill is two steps away from becoming law.

By The Nation

4c390a3a9b653ed582ce442c9a8742ce.jpeg

File photo // AFP PHOTO

The government has moved to allay fears that time is running out before next February’s general election to enact new legislation that protects the rights of same-sex partners.

The Life Partnership bill will be before the cabinet by the end of the month, said Kerdchoke Kasamwongjit, Deputy Director General of the Ministry of Justice’s Rights and Liberties Protection department.

Kerdchoke said his department would collect public opinion online from today until November 20 – people can simply tick “agree” or “disagree” with the Life Partnership bill, as well as comment on its content. A link to the legislation appears on the department’s home page. 

The department will also organise meetings in 5 areas – Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Khon Kaen and Ayutthaya – from November 12 to 16 in order to communicate directly with interested parties.

After the public consultation process is complete, the bill will be forwarded to the cabinet and, if approved, it will then be submitted to the National Legislative Assembly for a final vote before it becomes law. 

The mammoth Life Partnership bill –it has no less than 70 sections – allows gender-diverse couples the same rights enjoyed by heterosexual partners, including inheritance and marital property matters, as well as the legal right to make medical decisions when their partner is incapacitated. 

However, Kerdchai said it does not include any provisions related to child adoptions. “This is a starting point. We want to guarantee basic human rights so gender-diverse couples can live as a family,” he said.

It is currently envisaged that the agency responsible for dealing with same-sex couples’ registrations will be the Department of Provincial Administration, a wing of the Ministry of Interior. 

“This is so that same-sex couples can go to any district office to register, just as heterosexual couples do for marriage registration,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30357932

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...The mammoth Life Partnership bill –it has no less than 70 sections – allows gender-diverse couples the same rights enjoyed by heterosexual partners, including inheritance and marital property matters, as well as the legal right to make medical decisions when their partner is incapacitated. 

However, Kerdchai said it does not include any provisions related to child adoptions..."

Why do you need 70 sections?

Define 'marriage' as being between two consenting adults and allow the same, equal, rights for all.

End of.

Authoritarian societies (including France!) prefer to make explicit in law what you CAN do, not what you can't. So the burden of proof is effectively reversed from what obtains in more open & freer societies.

5 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

What if a man and woman want to marry, but one of them happens to be unable to have children because of a medical condition.  Should they still be allowed to marry?  Or are you just inferring that only a vagina should be allowed to marry a penis?  Or is it some backwards religious belief of yours.  Or just hardcore homophobia?

If you think before answer, you will understand exactly what I mean. It´s nothin of what you tried to make it look like.

If a man and a woman is in a relationship and one is out of medical reasons unable to have a child, then there should be the possibility to adopt a child. Alla other cases nare not out of the natural kind, and does not give the child a core family out of the natural selection. You can be sure there is no homophobia here. Close the door and do what you want, just do not bring this on innocent children that needs a genuine mother and father. Nor is it any religious belief. Backward or forward, religion never seems to work out as intended. Regarding the vagina and penis option. Hell Yeah! Of course that´s the only possible marriage, out of the reason that, without unnatural surgical operations, that must include a real woman and a real man. I hope you know that it´s the woman and the man that marry each other and then use the tools, not the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

If you think before answer, you will understand exactly what I mean. It´s nothin of what you tried to make it look like.

If a man and a woman is in a relationship and one is out of medical reasons unable to have a child, then there should be the possibility to adopt a child. Alla other cases nare not out of the natural kind, and does not give the child a core family out of the natural selection. You can be sure there is no homophobia here. Close the door and do what you want, just do not bring this on innocent children that needs a genuine mother and father. Nor is it any religious belief. Backward or forward, religion never seems to work out as intended. Regarding the vagina and penis option. Hell Yeah! Of course that´s the only possible marriage, out of the reason that, without unnatural surgical operations, that must include a real woman and a real man. I hope you know that it´s the woman and the man that marry each other and then use the tools, not the other way around.

Excellent post, could not agree more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Will Thai immigration recognize these unions the same as marriage? Assuming not but it should be so.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good question.  If the marriage is legally binding in Thailand, then any legal marriage should be recognized by all Thai ministries.
But the tricky question becomes "who is the wife and who is the husband" as the immigration laws governing a foreign woman married to a Thai man are different than the immigration laws for a foreign man married to a Thai woman. 

Edited by CALSinCM

1 hour ago, CALSinCM said:

Good question.  If the marriage is legally binding in Thailand, then any legal marriage should be recognized by all Thai ministries.
But the tricky question becomes "who is the wife and who is the husband" as the immigration laws governing a foreign woman married to a Thai man are different than the immigration laws for a foreign man married to a Thai woman. 

Again, it is not marriage. Read the O.P.

2 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

Well that seems a very well thought out detailed reply. It seems to be a similar thing to marriage but introduced by the back door. Like the civil partnerships in the UK not true marriage but a contract recognised by government.

Here is a happy couple Thai - ferrang

Can we really deny them happiness?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qlEd-2pQTqM

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Will Thai immigration recognize these unions the same as marriage? Assuming not but it should be so.

They’re not a marriage when you read it they’re effectively a contract recognised by the government. A small step but not a big one.

Can we really deny people happiness? Assuming no abuse or people looking to get advantage in the immigration system of course.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They will not be marriages. That's the point. Immigration law would need to be changed to recognize this new thing.

I have not read the proposed bill , thus my thoughts are limited to the details in the article.

It looks analogous to marriage. A same sex couple will have the right to go and register in the same fashion as an heterosexual couple.

Immigration would have to recognise the lawful registration of same sex couples as they do mixed couples so as not to contravene ' all Thais are equal under the law '.

A change in immigration minesterial regulations and police orders may be required

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hmm.

That sounds mean spirited and that's putting it too politely.

That´s your opinion, and you´re entitled to that one. As well as I am entitled to mine.
Mean or not mean, that´s my opinion. Don´t feel the need to be polite. Say what you think, that´s what I do. Has been working for 56 years. :cheesy:

Edited by HappyAndRich

1 minute ago, HappyAndRich said:

What is hard? Many of us on this forum is living the dream in Thailand. Yeah, anyway, I do. 

1 minute ago, HappyAndRich said:

What is hard? Many of us on this forum is living the dream in Thailand. Yeah, anyway, I do. 

Better if everyone could????

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

That´s your opinion, and you´re entitled to that one. As well as I am entitled to mine.
Mean or not mean, that´s my opinion. Don´t feel the need to be polite. Say what you think, that´s what I do. Has been working for 56 years. :cheesy:

Sure thing, dude. After all, societies allowing minority groups semi-equal civil rights is such a horrible thing.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Really hope this gets the all clear before the elections.  Would give me great peace of mind for our legal options / finances / rights etc as we have been 'married' (in the UK) for over 12 years but it was never recognised here.  I always worried what would happen in me or my partner ended up in hospital or in an accident, as we would not even be seen as family!!!  All that is very important for signing forms, legal proceedings, join savings and assets.  

We have been together for over 25 years and are still very much in love.  It should be every persons right to marry who they like no matter what sex, skin colour, religion or nationality. 

To those posters saying they should not allow same sex marriage, I could say many straight farang / Thai marriages here (between an elderly retired white man and an ex prostitute 20 plus years younger), and the dads going to have died of old age before the kids even 10.... are less of a real marriage then a most gay couples lol.  

I can’t disagree with your post, why should you be disadvantaged for caring and loving anouther person partic after so many years together.

It doesent directly affect me but we have a couple of gay friends who are in very similar situation to yourself.

Hopefully the law will change.

Be well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1