LOS alternative

cleverman

1 hour ago, robsamui said:

There are a lot of confusing and contradictory statements and opinions being made over these 10 pages, and I think that's because people are coming at this topic with a range of different expectations, many of which are at cross purposes.

Visas (and costs) and lengths of stay are a whole different ball game if you're talking about a 3-month visit - as opposed to looking at living/staying in a country full time.

Then there's the issue of what 'expensive' means, as this is by definition a relative term. There are replies here from elderly men in retirement, talking effortlessly about buying land, houses cars -  sitting side-by-side with responses from others who are visiting on a small budget and then will go back home (or move on) when it runs out.

(And if you just trip in and out of Thailand a few times a year, then, really, this topic isn't aimed at you, anyway - visas are easy in this case.)

In the last 12 years the cost of living, across the board, has doubled in Thailand and I simply can't afford to stay here now. Up until 5 or 6 years ago I was able to save money from my employment, but now I'm spending what I earn every month.

And over that same 12-yer period the regulations and requirements and visa options have become tighter, more complex, more restrictive and more expensive. I've been on a work visa with a work permit which cost me in total about 13,500 baht p.a. 12 years ago - the same thing today is over 23,000B.

I'll be on a $1,000 regular income (pension) next year - plus what I can pick up unofficially on the side. I'm well-educated, have wide-ranging professional qualifications and skills and I don't consider myself a Cheap Charlie, but with the convoluted red-tape hassles over visas and the rising cost of living in Thailand, after 22 years here full time I have to go somewhere where it's both more affordable and has an easier immigration attitude.

Simple as that!

You wrote, "In the last 12 years the cost of living, across the board, has doubled in Thailand. "

1.  Transportation?  Motorcycle taxi where I live is still 20 baht and was 12 years ago.

2.  Car and driver 1000 baht per day and was 12 years ago.

3.  Retirement extension 1900 baht and was 12 years ago.

4.  Rice?  Same.

5.  House payment 22,000 per month and was 12 years ago.

6.  Electricity and water 3000 baht and was 12 years ago.

7.  Happiness?

8.  Pork, chicken, flour, milk and such about the same I really don't notice. 

9.  Clothes less because I married.

10.  Health care - same doctor same prices.  I have insurance so don't notice as it's covered.

11.  Insurance has gone up 3 or 4 thousand baht a year but nothing big.

In 12 years in the West with inflation at 3% that would mean things have gone up and if UK with the pound going down I guess +50% would be modest. 

Face it, the biggest expense is housing and that has not doubled.  A one bedroom apartment outside of tourist area was 4 to 6000 12 years ago and still is.   Electricity and water are about the same. 

If you are basing your expenses on young women in Bangkok or Pattaya I guess you might be right.  I don't know.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JackThompson said:

The thing is, you can get 3 mo at a time, and still stay forever in many countries.  There is no worry about "not being let back in" to return to your home.  At most locations, it is free to enter the country, and the neighboring ones - with maybe an "unofficial" charge amounting to a dollar or so. 

They look at your passport, can see you obviously aren't there to steal a lower-paying job than you could get in your passport-country, check your name doesn't pop up on their computer as a wanted criminal, then stamp you in.  Refusing to do so would be foolish, since you are obviously there to spend money. 

You are describing Thailand as it used to be - people with 10 years of back to back tourist visas from Penang. Now it aint so and if you are older you have to factor in that those countries that currently allow what you are describing might clamp down just as you are too old to reestablish yourself elsewhere. This is my point about Thailand now with retirement visas.

2 minutes ago, mokwit said:

You are describing Thailand as it used to be - people with 10 years of back to back tourist visas from Penang. Now it aint so and if you are older you have to factor in that those countries that currently allow what you are describing might clamp down just as you are too old to reestablish yourself elsewhere. This is my point about Thailand now with retirement visas.

Correct that Thailand has changed in this regard.  I don't think most other places will be shooting themselves in the foot, trying to emulate Western immigration abuses as Thailand has - and unlike the West, for no logical reason what so ever, since wages are still very low here by comparison. 

In a higher wage nation with social-services, I would not (as a USA passport-holder) expect easy-access, because I really might be likely to be coming steal a job that pays as much or more than my passport-country and/or to leech off of free stuff.

3 hours ago, robsamui said:

You are going to "pick up a retirement visa before you head out from Texas"? You need to do some research here.

Mexico does not have a retirement visa - you speak with such confidence that I am surprised you made this statement. There is a long process to obtain permanent residency - 4 years of temporary residence first before you can apply - and then if you have retirement status (a pension/income from abroad which meets the financial  requirements) you will eventually be granted full-time residency.

You're welcome.

Actually I have the funds, and I qualify for the Permeant Residency Visa without having to wait on the 4 years of temporary residence. Actually everyone here that gets a retirement visa in Thailand, has the funds for a temporary residence visa in Mexico? And if I am digesting it properly, Mexico has just changed the laws. Stating now that a Temporary visa is good for 3 years if I am not mistaken. So only has to be renewed once before you permeant visa is issued.

The only problem you might have is if after the 4 years are up you do not qualify for a permanent visa. 

I am kinda torn which one to get right now. As I never plan to sell my home in Texas. I go into Mexico all the time.

Regardless both are obtainable for me with no problem, and all retirees here that have a retirement extension have the funds for a residence visa in Mexico?

Personally I call all Visa's a retirement visa if you want to retire there, or want a no hassles in and out Visa. Same as Thailand. Only with Mexico you don't have the hassles as in Thailand.

The One reason I would want the Permanent Residency Visa is so I can buy into the health care system. If what I am reading online is correct. It is doable. That way I would have Medicare in the states, and health coverage in Mexico.

Also, I can buy a home there in my name. Personally I would never drop a dime in Thailand with the laws here on foreign ownership.

Regardless it is a piece of cake for me. And most others here that have the monthly income that Thailand is demanding from you for a one year extension?

I don't know the rules for anyone other than myself, but I assume it is the same for all people in any country? I have read the rules many many time and I don't see where it mentions different countries have different requirements? But, I am not positive by any means.

You're welcome

2 hours ago, robsamui said:

In the last 12 years the cost of living, across the board, has doubled in Thailand and I simply can't afford to stay here now.

i feel your pain, rob.  unfortunately this has happened world wide.  of course governments tell you that inflation is 2%.   Retirees feel the pain the most as they no longer get a paycheck and their savings are slowly (or rapidly) eaten away.  (Those fortunate to have large pensions or investments...or inheritance, will have no sympathy for those that they say did not "plan ahead". )    

Ten years ago fried rice was around 20 baht .  Now mostly 40 baht (in CM).  There are many many comparisons to the price of goods and services thailand vs. the US.  My daughter just went to have a tooth pulled : quoted price 500 dollars.   A crown recently cost me 8000 baht.  Here is average price in states:

Dental Crown Average Cost - $1,500 (Porcelain), $1,600 (Metal)

Too old and tired to move..... but when doing comparisons  Thailand comes out on top.,,,,and that includes

a lot of things money can't buy. ( read Swissie post number 112. ) 

4 hours ago, robsamui said:

Only an American (or Canadian) could have written this. Because every other nation has A TON  of immigration hassles with Mexico. On the other hand, I'm assuming that you are looking to live there permanently, rather than just visit for a few months - and even long tourist visas are now being restricted. Mexico was my first choice, too. But then I spent 7 months online in the expat forums and came to understand all the problems that even the (enormous) American contingent have to cope with.

Well you nailed my nationality  haha. 

No, at this point I do not want to live there permanently. Just looking for an easy way to go between the two countries. And to stay for a year or two if I want to. 

Not sure what the problems are. I lived in southern Mexico for a while. Never had a problem? Maybe just lucky, but I liked it ok.

Sorry I really did not know there were any differences between countries. So far as a residency visa is concerned. 

Regards

1 hour ago, rumak said:

My daughter just went to have a tooth pulled : quoted price 500 dollars.   A crown recently cost me 8000 baht.  Here is average price in states:

Dental Crown Average Cost - $1,500 (Porcelain), $1,600 (Metal)

Another plus for Cambodia.  Root-Canal + Crown is between $80 and $140 TOTAL (for both) - even cheaper than in Mexico.  BTW, I have old work from Mexico still intact decades later, and years-old from Cambodia also ok. 

20 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Another plus for Cambodia.  Root-Canal + Crown is between $80 and $140 TOTAL (for both) - even cheaper than in Mexico.  BTW, I have old work from Mexico still intact decades later, and years-old from Cambodia also ok. 

yes, dentists have gotten a bit more expensive here.  doctors still a bargain in my book ( 300-500 baht),

but visit in US .....start at about 100 bucks !  When my teeth start to go i have a good pliers and some local whiskey ready.

2 minutes ago, rumak said:

yes, dentists have gotten a bit more expensive here.  doctors still a bargain in my book ( 300-500 baht),

but visit in US .....start at about 100 bucks !  When my teeth start to go i have a good pliers and some local whiskey ready.

One of the things I love about Thailand are the dentists! I am an old man, but my teeth look like they are in their 20's.

Last time in the states my sister was having some work done on her teeth and she told me the costs, Wow

5 hours ago, garyk said:

Well you nailed my nationality  haha. 

No, at this point I do not want to live there permanently. Just looking for an easy way to go between the two countries. And to stay for a year or two if I want to. 

Not sure what the problems are. I lived in southern Mexico for a while. Never had a problem? Maybe just lucky, but I liked it ok.

Sorry I really did not know there were any differences between countries. So far as a residency visa is concerned. 

Regards

None of the (several dozen) other Americans I was  in longterm correspondence with with on the numerous Mexican forums did, either. Because it cost them next to nothing and visas came easy for them they were astonished to realise that things were different for the world outside! ????

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The thing is, you can get 3 mo at a time, and still stay forever in many countries.  There is no worry about "not being let back in" to return to your home.  At most locations, it is free to enter the country, and the neighboring ones - with maybe an "unofficial" charge amounting to a dollar or so. 

They look at your passport, can see you obviously aren't there to steal a lower-paying job than you could get in your passport-country, check your name doesn't pop up on their computer as a wanted criminal, then stamp you in.  Refusing to do so would be foolish, since you are obviously there to spend money. 

I did this in Japan stayed three months at a time and it worked. The problem is when they change this rule you will be denied entry. Europe also was easy and then the new Schengen rules came. No more living in Holland and crossing to Germany. After that they also made it three months in three months out. Thailand did it for a little while.

I don't think you are doing anybody favors suggesting they go to countries and abuse tourist visas. The more that do so the more likely they are to change it. 

If people want to try a place like Malaysia doing this i suggest don't buy anything and get a furnished place. Take everything of value when you hop so if you are denied you walk away easily enough. 

I lived in tourist visas in man locations across the world over the course of several decades and my experience was that almost always sooner rather than later changes come that make it hard.

I personally do not feel the formula is too hard. South America has endless cities and climate preferences. The key is bunking down in a sleepy town somewhere, genuinley volunteering to work with kids in the community on their English. Then what magically happens is everyone ants you to stay and your visas start getting taken care of for you on a volunteer basis or something. 

2 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I personally do not feel the formula is too hard. South America has endless cities and climate preferences. The key is bunking down in a sleepy town somewhere, genuinley volunteering to work with kids in the community on their English. Then what magically happens is everyone ants you to stay and your visas start getting taken care of for you on a volunteer basis or something. 

In many cases that genuine volunteer work will be illegal. If you bring it up when questioned at a border it will work against you. I do know some countries are more tolerant. However if I have my preferences I will pick a place where I am not teaching illegally to garner good will amongst people that don't stamp my passport.

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I did this in Japan stayed three months at a time and it worked. The problem is when they change this rule you will be denied entry. Europe also was easy and then the new Schengen rules came. No more living in Holland and crossing to Germany.

As I said in a later post ...

14 hours ago, JackThompson said:

In a higher wage nation with social-services, I would not (as a USA passport-holder) expect easy-access, because I really might be likely to be coming steal a job that pays as much or more than my passport-country and/or to leech off of free stuff.

After that they also made it three months in three months out. Thailand did it for a little while. 

I don't think you are doing anybody favors suggesting they go to countries and abuse tourist visas. The more that do so the more likely they are to change it. 

On the contrary, it is not "abusing" tourist-visas in their view - it is "spending more money", which they welcome.  Why do you think the Philippines has changed the rules from 14 months on Tourist-Visas before an out/in (to start over), to now over 3 years in-country before the out/in?  Because they do not in any way want do discourage what you term "abuse" of tourist visas. 

"Tourist" is a term defined by one's activity.  The only "abuse" would be if someone were to use a tourist-entry to take a job illegally, or commit other crimes.

If people want to try a place like Malaysia doing this i suggest don't buy anything and get a furnished place. Take everything of value when you hop so if you are denied you walk away easily enough. 

Agree on Malaysia - they used to be OK with 1-week out and return, but some report you can only count on two 90-days in a row before questioning - so it's a stable option only if one wanted to split time between 2 locations.

I lived in tourist visas in man locations across the world over the course of several decades and my experience was that almost always sooner rather than later changes come that make it hard.

Given the high-wage countries you listed, I can see why that would be the case.  As to low-wage nations, Thailand is the odd-country - creating an "L" visa-system to let in nearby poorer foreigners, which harm their own citizens' work opportunities and wages, while at the same time "cracking down" on Western foreigners, whose income helps create jobs for Thais.  We spend several salaries of imported money per-each "less-wealthy" foreigner - and multiples of that for the wealthier ones. 

I don't think it is likely Mexico or other countries are going to be doing that to their own citizens.  Tourist-related business-powers would hire some real bad-guys to protect their investments. 

In many cases that genuine volunteer work will be illegal. If you bring it up when questioned at a border it will work against you. I do know some countries are more tolerant. However if I have my preferences I will pick a place where I am not teaching illegally to garner good will amongst people that don't stamp my passport.

One should definitely check local laws and customs - but in most Latin American countries, teaching kids English for free would never, ever, cause a problem.  Even in Cambodia, it is easy-peasy for a work-permit - and not much harder in Vietnam.  As well, in the "sleepy town" in Latin America he suggested, his spending would be valued, and the locals would probably also provide a form of protection against criminal elements (I've seen this 1st hand in Latin America). 

The attitudes there are not at all like Thailand's.  They actually want "what's best" for their people, and especially youth, far more than trying to emulate high-wage nations' visa and work restrictions, in some "great pretend" effort they are in the same wage-group.  "1st World" / "Developed" is defined by wage-levels - not harsh immigration restrictions.  Immigration restrictions in the West are the direct result of waves of illegal immigration due to the higher wage levels offered within.  The 1st has to happen, before the 2nd makes any sense. 

Current immigration policies restricting higher-wage passport holders, and opening the door to lower-wage foreigners at the same time, are a two-prong attack on Thailand's progress towards becoming a higher-wage, "1st World" nation.  Hopefully, they figure this out sooner, rather than later - but current-policy-trends are heading in the opposite direction. 

8 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I am sure that can be true, but my advice was to harness the knowledge and power of locals and get them to want you to stay there. You would arrive on a tourist type visa. Anyway, it could technically be illegal but as mentioned, once you gain favor of the right people i do not think in most cases you will have trouble. 

25 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

... my advice was to harness the knowledge and power of locals and get them to want you to stay there.

I cannot stress enough how important this is.  In most countries, if local-leaders want you around, higher-ups see granting a stay as a "free" way to do the locals a favor - much easier than supplying money for road-improvements and such.  By granting the locals' request, the locals feel empowered / heard, and the higher-ups didn't have to spend a dime to get some good PR. 

It works the other way too, though.  Make an ass of oneself with the locals, and the "favor" / good-PR will become removing you from the area / country.

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I cannot stress enough how important this is.  In most countries, if local-leaders want you around, higher-ups see granting a stay as a "free" way to do the locals a favor - much easier than supplying money for road-improvements and such.  By granting the locals' request, the locals feel empowered / heard, and the higher-ups didn't have to spend a dime to get some good PR. 

It works the other way too, though.  Make an ass of oneself with the locals, and the "favor" / good-PR will become removing you from the area / country.

If you are genuinely helping a community, I have a hard time thinking of situations where you will have teouble staying. Imagine you're a parent and you son has one chance to learn English on a perminent basis. There is a lot of power there as you say. I am totally usure about this in asia, but in south america it would be a cakewalk once you are in the locals graces. I have not done it, but i have seen people who have. 

23 hours ago, robsamui said:

Only an American (or Canadian) could have written this. Because every other nation has A TON  of immigration hassles with Mexico. On the other hand, I'm assuming that you are looking to live there permanently, rather than just visit for a few months - and even long tourist visas are now being restricted. Mexico was my first choice, too. But then I spent 7 months online in the expat forums and came to understand all the problems that even the (enormous) American contingent have to cope with.

I nearly went through with it last year using an Aussie passport, it seems quite straightforward up to the interview stage.

Two page application.

No photocopies of anything.

One photograph.

You need proof of (a bit hazy here) a minimum USD $200k or more parked in home country account for at least a year prior to application.

You dont need a mexican bank account, but its going to help you once you settle there.

Once in Mexico with an address, and some utility bills, Interbanco will give you a gringo account. Most other banks wont.

The big hassle for some applicants is that you have to apply first, THEN attend an interview in your 'Nationality' country by visiting the Mexico Embassy 'back home' in person.

Yes, Amercans too, the game has changed, this applies to ALL new applicants. The problem is, some people are relocating from say, Thailand, or even already residing in Mexico, on a fact finding trip.

So they now have to go 'back home' just to apply for their first long stay visa. This is mandatory.

The wait for an interview 'invitation' can be up to 8 weeks after your application is acknowledged, says the website.

22 hours ago, robsamui said:

You forgot to say "dude" at the end.

Thanks for all the info.

I've heard good things from a young Urugayan lady who was part raised in Australia, for what its worth, she was one of the most down to earth yet beautiful looking woman I ever met. Gobsmacking.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:27 PM, Mike Teavee said:

Great summary, just update that you can extend your initial Visa exempt entry into Philippines up to 3 years (You're allowed 2x6 month extensions & the remainder are 3 months) then "Turnaround" & start the 3 years again with no hassles from immigration.

Being married to a Filipina you automatically get a 1 year visa on entry to the country, not sure of whether these could be extended as never been down this route.

I love the Philippines, used to visit 8 or so times a year & went 1/2s on a house in Davao with my Filipina gf of the time, but ironically enough we split up because I wanted to live in Thailand & she didn't.

My only downer with PI immigration is when you're taking your Filipina gf out of the country, I'd been with mine 8 years & we'd done dozens of visits/exits yet last time I took her to Singapore (Where she had a work permit) I had to sign an affidavit to say I "Wouldn't let her become a burden of the state" - I'm a reasonably young looking 52 year old and she's a very presentable 34 year old so it wasn't like we were that much of an "Odd Couple" 

If it's not Thailand, it would be Vietnam for me though I would love to hear more about places like Taiwan & Korea as they look amazing... Outside of SEA I would like to explore moving to Columbia/Venezuela etc... In Europe I think it would be Portugal or Malta.

I'm told by someone in the know (who has lived there) that Bulgaria and Hungary are cheap and easy. Some other ex-communist States too I'd imagine. But I have no details as I'm not intending to go there myself. Just a pointer if Europe might appeal to anyone.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most of us don't view cold wet socialist countries as a los alternative.

We could have just stayed at home.

Indeed. 

Good to see that a fashionable shift is coming about - Farang leaving Thailand in numbers.

Can only be beneficial.  

[and please - don't come back]

On 11/16/2018 at 5:18 PM, JimmyJ said:

"The food is at least 50% more than it was in Thailand..."

What city is this?

How are rents in Cambodia and the general attitude towards foreigners? Safety/crime?

Most of the people I knew who moved to Cambo from Thailand did so because they were too young or could not qualify for a long stay Thai visa.  It certainly wasnt a first choice. 

I guess if the goal is to live "off the grid", you'll be in the right place.   Infrastructure-wise it is indeed a night/day difference.  But the prices are either the same or higher for rent, food, etc.  Especially when they see a farang. You should attempt 4-8 weeks scouting there and talk to a few expats on the ground before you decide to "switch". 

The locals are nice but have little to lose snaging your ฿100k camera lens et al.   Crimes of opportunity are common there, especially if they see the expensive item unattended.  Begging is creative, but exhausting after a while. 

All those people who are so exhausted with Thailand; I'm curious as to how they will make it in Cambodia.   It's not a fair comparison IMO;  not the same economic weight class. 

On 11/16/2018 at 6:11 PM, alex8912 said:

..... maybe 4 areas at most for sex tourism ,.... 

Is that per District, per province, or the entire country? 

On 11/17/2018 at 6:32 PM, marcusarelus said:

You wrote, "In the last 12 years the cost of living, across the board, has doubled in Thailand. "

1.  Transportation?  Motorcycle taxi where I live is still 20 baht and was 12 years ago.

2.  Car and driver 1000 baht per day and was 12 years ago.

3.  Retirement extension 1900 baht and was 12 years ago.

4.  Rice?  Same.

5.  House payment 22,000 per month and was 12 years ago.

6.  Electricity and water 3000 baht and was 12 years ago.

7.  Happiness?

8.  Pork, chicken, flour, milk and such about the same I really don't notice. 

9.  Clothes less because I married.

10.  Health care - same doctor same prices.  I have insurance so don't notice as it's covered.

11.  Insurance has gone up 3 or 4 thousand baht a year but nothing big.

In 12 years in the West with inflation at 3% that would mean things have gone up and if UK with the pound going down I guess +50% would be modest. 

Face it, the biggest expense is housing and that has not doubled.  A one bedroom apartment outside of tourist area was 4 to 6000 12 years ago and still is.   Electricity and water are about the same. 

If you are basing your expenses on young women in Bangkok or Pattaya I guess you might be right.  I don't know.

You have to be living way up north north/east for any of this to be true . . . which it will be if you're off the beaten track anywhere. 

Personally I need the sea and anywhere here's a coastline with expat bars where you can chat and listen to some good ol rock n roll . . . the prices have doubled in the last 12 years, all except for gasoline, which has stayed more or less the same.

If you're paying 22,000B for rent and reckon that an insurance rise of "3 or 4 thousand baht" is negligible, then we are definitely living in a different world!

On 11/18/2018 at 3:43 PM, Small Joke said:

I nearly went through with it last year using an Aussie passport, it seems quite straightforward up to the interview stage.

Two page application.

No photocopies of anything.

One photograph.

You need proof of (a bit hazy here) a minimum USD $200k or more parked in home country account for at least a year prior to application.

You dont need a mexican bank account, but its going to help you once you settle there.

Once in Mexico with an address, and some utility bills, Interbanco will give you a gringo account. Most other banks wont.

The big hassle for some applicants is that you have to apply first, THEN attend an interview in your 'Nationality' country by visiting the Mexico Embassy 'back home' in person.

Yes, Amercans too, the game has changed, this applies to ALL new applicants. The problem is, some people are relocating from say, Thailand, or even already residing in Mexico, on a fact finding trip.

So they now have to go 'back home' just to apply for their first long stay visa. This is mandatory.

The wait for an interview 'invitation' can be up to 8 weeks after your application is acknowledged, says the website.

Some of this is now out of date. (Or might be different for an Aussie . . .)

You apply initially to the Mexican embassy in mexico city, then are given an appointment and are interviewed (with all the gathered paperwork you mention) in ANY Mexican embassy or consulate of your choice, outside of Mexico - not necessarily in your country of birth. 

If your interview is successful, your passport is stamped and has a validity of 6 months to go to Mexico, where you then have 30 days to attend an embassy and request your first one-year temporary visa.

After 4 years of renewing this in-country, you have to do it all over again, out of Mexico, this time applying for permanent residency.

7 hours ago, robsamui said:

You have to be living way up north north/east for any of this to be true . . . which it will be if you're off the beaten track anywhere. 

Personally I need the sea and anywhere here's a coastline with expat bars where you can chat and listen to some good ol rock n roll . . . the prices have doubled in the last 12 years, all except for gasoline, which has stayed more or less the same.

If you're paying 22,000B for rent and reckon that an insurance rise of "3 or 4 thousand baht" is negligible, then we are definitely living in a different world!

If you are British the combination of inflation and currency dropping in value have been a major hit.  If you had a long term contract for rent or a loan then housing would not have been effected or your rent was in an area not booming with industry.  3 or 4 thousand baht insurance increase is only 10 baht a day so I don't see how you figure that is high.

Get outside of Bangkok or Pattaya and prices not bad.  Transportation for me has stayed the same for the past 10 years as has rent.  Food may have gone up a bit but Brie was expensive 10 years ago and not as readily available as it is now.  I've purchased cooking equipment over 10 years that makes my food bills go down. 

5 hours ago, cleverman said:

Cost of living in LOS has nothing to do with the OP

Even though you don't specifically mention it in your original post, it is not only impossible to ignore when considering an alternative to the LOS, but it also can be the deciding factor, given a choice between two otherwise comparable countries.

This is particularly true for anyone living on the limited income of a small pension.

17 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Even though you don't specifically mention it in your original post, it is not only impossible to ignore when considering an alternative to the LOS, but it also can be the deciding factor, given a choice between two otherwise comparable countries.

Irrelevant as the costs of living in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, The Philippines, Laos is broadly the same.

There are a few variations in prices, but nothing significant, and added together they tend to even out.

Archived