Thai Family to the rescue?

swissie

38 minutes ago, NilSS said:

This is a strange question. Being candid, if you don't know the answer to that question, I don't know how anyone here can answer it for you. . . but I can share my experience with you, and that's exactly what happens in my case, year in, year out, my sister in law puts up the money to keep my visa status in order, but then, I do work very hard for the family business.

Good luck.

Does not concern me in particular. Thread is more meant as some sort of unofficial poll.

Quite possibly - especially as the money would never actually leave the bank, they would come up with something.

I hope never to be in the position to test this particular scenario - I don't judge my extended family by what they can or cannot do for me, or what I can do for them, we seem to blend into........well.......an every day family, there for each other.

Considering that I sponsored six family members to come to the US, guaranteed their income above the poverty level for 10 years and loaned them far in excess of 400K Baht (interest free) for various purposes, yes. Otherwise, they are dead and I'll get full retirement in a federal prison ( or Bang Kwang, depending on venue).  And that's not to mention the others who are still in Thailand, though they live rather modestly. But I've known them for over 40 years.  And we didn't invest all that heavily in Thailand. 

Unfortunately, we received a substantial sum from life insurance and the military death gratuity when our son was killed in Iraq.  I hate thinking about the blood money, but our boy took care of his mom. 

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Sad 1

Ditto, sort of. My family are all dual nationals. Cost me a fortune. When my sister in law realised how much I was struggling in old Europe, she insisted we come 'home' to Thailand, at her expense. They are completely dedicated to me, and I to them. Swings and roundabouts.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My wife put 400k for my marriage extension and I didn't invest 1 baht in Thailand.

Correct me if I am wrong. Now you are living in Toronto and your wife stayed in Thailand. WHY?

Spill your guts!

• Haha 1

Possibly I should refine my question: If such circumstances should evolve, would the extended family be able and willing to support a Farang family member.

I realize that some Thai Families would not be able to shoulder such financial requests. But mostly, an extended Thai-Family (as a mutual effort) could raise 400K.

So it's more a question of "wantig to" instead of "can do" in most cases. Me thinks.

Cheers.

My wife of 17 years here in CM is already making plans to sell some land to raise the 800,000 bt needed. Over the the years I have contributed to the family capital and business and there was no question they would help out. I am grateful indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"... In other words: You are "real-estate-rich" but "cash-poor")."

One analysis of that comment - it's a result of your own decisions, nobody else's decisions and you know full well you need the 400K cash in the bank at a specific date each year, it's not a sudden surprise.

Further 'real-estate rich', is that meaning:

- you paid for the real estate and the ownership is in your name, or

- you paid for the real-estate but the ownership is not in your own name?

15 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

My wife put 400k for my marriage extension and I didn't invest 1 baht in Thailand.

Farang Kee Nok, loh?

Oh well, numerous instances that Thai and extended Thai look out for the Farang. 

Might surprise many as to how often this comes about.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NilSS said:

This is a strange question. Being candid, if you don't know the answer to that question, I don't know how anyone here can answer it for you. . . but I can share my experience with you, and that's exactly what happens in my case, year in, year out, my sister in law puts up the money to keep my visa status in order, but then, I do work very hard for the family business.

Good luck.

Same. Same. Forget the stories of Thais only wanting the farangs for their money.

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

"... In other words: You are "real-estate-rich" but "cash-poor")."

One analysis of that comment - it's a result of your own decisions, nobody else's decisions and you know full well you need the 400K cash in the bank at a specific date each year, it's not a sudden surprise.

Further 'real-estate rich', is that meaning:

- you paid for the real estate and the ownership is in your name, or

- you paid for the real-estate but the ownership is not in your own name?

Post #3 gives the answer.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

You are aware that people have up to now been able to use income declarations right ?? 

...and you are also aware that many embassys are now unwilling to continue issueing those declarations right ?? 

I mean you do know the reason for the issue being raised ?? and that is is a change is procedure and IS a sudden surprise ?? 

• Like 1