London bridges blocked by environment protest, 70 arrested

rooster59

London bridges blocked by environment protest, 70 arrested

800x800 (7).jpg

Environmental campaigners from the direct action group Rebellion demonstrate on Westminster Bridge in central London, Britain, November 17, 2018. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - British police said they arrested more than 70 people at an environmental protest on Saturday, after demonstrators blocked five bridges across the River Thames in central London.

Organizers of the 'Extinction Rebellion' event said they wanted to put pressure on Britain's government to take greater action to slow climate change and eliminate greenhouse gas emissions by 2025.

The protest centered for several hours on Westminster Bridge, near Britain's parliament, but there was also disruption to traffic on four other bridges.

Hundreds of people protested near Westminster, carrying banners with messages including "Stop Climate Breakdown", "Fossil Fuel Era Over" and "Rebel For Life".

"This is an act of mass civil disobedience. This is the start of an international rebellion protesting the lack of action on the ecological crisis," one organizer, Gail Bradbrook, told reporters.

Police said demonstrators had mostly been arrested for obstructing the road, and had no immediate information on charges or the total number of protesters.

Organizers said more than 6,000 people had been involved.

"The demonstration is having a direct impact on others across London who wish to go about their daily business - and (stopped) the emergency services from using the bridges to travel around London," police superintendent Waheed Khan said just before the bridges reopened.

Britain reduced greenhouse gas emissions by over 40 percent between 1990 and 2016, and the government has committed to a total reduction of 80 percent by 2050.

The Extinction Rebellion campaigners are calling for emissions to be reduced to zero on a net basis by 2025.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-18

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Yep , the Uk has a far better track record than most in regard to this.

Only in the last 30 odd years, the west should stop being so self righteous, the UK became a world power in part due to enviromental damage 

• Like 2

On 11/18/2018 at 3:44 PM, Krataiboy said:

The architects of the UN's Agenda 21 must be rubbing their hands in glee.

(Hands up all those who have even heard of Agenda 21).

Yeah we did!

It's a right wing nut conspiracy theories, about several decades in the making and still no sign of it, although Alex Jones was repeatedly p!$$!ng his pants about it!

By the way: Hobbit Homes look awfully nice in the Lord of the Rings and I don't care, if Golf courses are closed down forever!

• Confused 1

On 11/18/2018 at 3:44 PM, Krataiboy said:

The architects of the UN's Agenda 21 must be rubbing their hands in glee.

(Hands up all those who have even heard of Agenda 21).

I think everyone concerned about the environment and global warming know exactly what agenda 21 is.......... I wonder if you are up to date yourself?

19 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

Only in the last 30 odd years, the west should stop being so self righteous, the UK became a world power in part due to enviromental damage 

30 years? Oh well torture the gits then and inconvenience as many as possible in the name of "my opinion". And go home for tea with a clear conscience thinking what a grand job we have done.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:40 AM, rooster59 said:

Hundreds of people protested near Westminster, carrying banners with messages including "Stop Climate Breakdown", "Fossil Fuel Era Over" and "Rebel For Life".

"This is an act of mass civil disobedience. This is the start of an international rebellion protesting the lack of action on the ecological crisis," one organizer, Gail Bradbrook, told reporters.

Bravo. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, kwilco said:

I think everyone concerned about the environment and global warming know exactly what agenda 21 is.......... I wonder if you are up to date yourself?

Er, no - as you are talking about everybody on the planet. Most people I know have never even heard of Agenda 21 or its successor Agenda 2030, let alone attempted to discover its implications (as I have sought to do).

The mass media shows little interest in this ongoing UN programme to control all the world's resources and virtually every aspect of human life.

One can't help wondering whether we being kept in the dark by default - or design.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DM07 said:

Yeah we did!

It's a right wing nut conspiracy theories, about several decades in the making and still no sign of it, although Alex Jones was repeatedly p!$$!ng his pants about it!

By the way: Hobbit Homes look awfully nice in the Lord of the Rings and I don't care, if Golf courses are closed down forever!

You just keep watching kids' movies and everything will be fine.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Er, no - as you are talking about everybody on the planet. Most people I know have never even heard of Agenda 21 or its successor Agenda 2030, let alone attempted to discover its implications (as I have sought to do).

The mass media shows little interest in this ongoing UN programme to control all the world's resources and virtually every aspect of human life.

One can't help wondering whether we being kept in the dark by default - or design.

So we are talking about what YOU may or may not have heard..... a bit self centered, don't you think? 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Yes that was then ,this is now, we also saved Europe 70 years ago ,but that was then. So talk about now!!!

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

we also saved Europe 70 years ago”

I take it that’s the ‘Royal We’ or are you wearing your campaign medals earned by watching Sunday TV black and white war movies?!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

The mass media shows little interest in this ongoing UN programme to control all the world's resources and virtually every aspect of human life.”

The reason the ‘mass media’ ignore this is their editors have had sufficient exposure to education to be able to discern right wing nut job conspiracy when they see it.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

You might want to go find out how the UN adopts policy and directives and how those policies and directives are enacted (or not enacted) by individual sovereign governments. 

Away with you and your tin foil hat conspiracies.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Sad 1

On 11/18/2018 at 3:47 PM, blazes said:

Wing-nuts all.  If you want to put pressure on countries that are devastating the lungs of the planet, go and demonstrate outside the embassies of Indonesia or Brazil (to name only two countries that practice deforestation of the worst kind).

But it's those lefties who started with putting palmoil in the dieseltanks of their cars...and also they started the whole quinoa thing which is killing forests now for the huge demand.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

But it's those lefties who started with putting palmoil in the dieseltanks of their cars...and also they started the whole quinoa thing which is killing forests now for the huge demand.

Are you sure it wasn’t the agricultural lobby that pushed bio fuels?!

Here’s a chance for you to look at the issue from a different perspective:

http://biofuelsreform.org/lobby/

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Are you sure it wasn’t the agricultural lobby that pushed bio fuels?!

Here’s a chance for you to look at the issue from a different perspective:

http://biofuelsreform.org/lobby/

No it were the left groups who demanded the use of bio fuels like palmoil....after that the Asians decided to sell it to them and build huge palmoil plantations...now malaysia has them, very large and they cut their forests for it.

Then the lefties realized that it was a stupid plan so they changed it again, of course they are not guilty for promoting it...very hypocrite.

Now France wants Europe to stop palmoil, soybeans, hardwood,quinoa which is grown on the place of those natural forests in Asia and S-America...in 2030!! Why not start boycotting it tomorrow? What are they waiting for? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fruitman said:

No it were the left groups who demanded the use of bio fuels like palmoil....after that the Asians decided to sell it to them and build huge palmoil plantations...now malaysia has them, very large and they cut their forests for it.

Then the lefties realized that it was a stupid plan so they changed it again, of course they are not guilty for promoting it...very hypocrite.

Now France wants Europe to stop palmoil, soybeans, hardwood,quinoa which is grown on the place of those natural forests in Asia and S-America...in 2030!! Why not start boycotting it tomorrow? What are they waiting for? 

In the face of evidence to the contrary you continue with your false assertions.

You don’t back up your assertions because, being false, you can’t back them up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

In the face of evidence to the contrary you continue with your false assertions.

You don’t back up your assertions because, being false, you can’t back them up.

...your article stated it already that europe wanted to promote biofuels...That was the palmoil from asia which they wanted to mix with diesel. Also the article states that since 2017 they stopped it..So why did they have to stop their own 'great plans'???

And now all the old european diesel cars are banned from the cities and ALL go to Africa for a 2nd life because if they pollute the air in Africa it doesn't matter??? That will save the ozon-layer right?????

The debate on biofuels took off in 2003 when the EU, via its Biofuels Directive, adopted a non binding target for Member States to use 5.75% of renewable energy in transport by 2010. The rush for biofuels started on the assumption that they would cut CO2 emissions from cars, trucks and planes, create new markets for farmers, and reduce our dependence on foreign oil imports.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fruitman said:

...your article stated it already that europe wanted to promote biofuels...That was the palmoil from asia which they wanted to mix with diesel. Also the article states that since 2017 they stopped it..So why did they have to stop their own 'great plans'???

And now all the old european diesel cars are banned from the cities and ALL go to Africa for a 2nd life because if they pollute the air in Africa it doesn't matter??? That will save the ozon-layer right?????

The debate on biofuels took off in 2003 when the EU, via its Biofuels Directive, adopted a non binding target for Member States to use 5.75% of renewable energy in transport by 2010. The rush for biofuels started on the assumption that they would cut CO2 emissions from cars, trucks and planes, create new markets for farmers, and reduce our dependence on foreign oil imports.

THe EU biofuels policy was driven by the agricultural lobby.

Not by your ‘lefty’ bogey men.

I note you din’t wish to include the objections to bio fuel raised by environmental scientists and ‘civil society’

Some more reading for you:

https://www.nfuonline.com/sectors/crops/crops-news/nfu-continues-to-fight-for-biofuels/

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/diversification/farm-energy/threat-to-biofuel-market-defeated-by-farm-lobby-groups

https://www.globalagriculture.org/report-topics/agrofuels-and-bioenergy.html

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

THe EU biofuels policy was driven by the agricultural lobby.

Not by your ‘lefty’ bogey men.

I note you din’t wish to include the objections to bio fuel raised by environmental scientists and ‘civil society’

Some more reading for you:

https://www.nfuonline.com/sectors/crops/crops-news/nfu-continues-to-fight-for-biofuels/

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/diversification/farm-energy/threat-to-biofuel-market-defeated-by-farm-lobby-groups

https://www.globalagriculture.org/report-topics/agrofuels-and-bioenergy.html

I never followed the news about the UK, i only know it for the EU-mainland and there it was Greenpeace and the other lefties who demanded the use of biofuels like palmoil, lineseed and so.

I bet i can find the articles but you can't read them anyway i guess. 

In those days Greenpeace also 'measured' the melting icecaps but later was discovered that they made up their reports by fake numbers....it was a big scandal in those days (15 years ago or so).

Also since then garbage is being burned on a 'green way'which is by importing woodchips from Canada to the EU to burn the ovens which get filled with plastic garbage.

It's all so full of nonsense and hypocrite ....if those protestors want to save the environment than go to China and tell them what they're doing, they have the most polluted cities of the world now because ALL the dirty factories are there producing goods to be used in the EU....and they are shipped to the EU by huge diesel motors...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, i claudius said:

Well said sir , its people like your father who made Britain great , not like  the person who ridiculed you .

My father and his brothers served too as did many other people’s fathers and brothers.

I take no credit for their service and sacrifice.

They served, not we.

• Like 1