Internet banking security

I've been using internet banking with 2 Thai banks for a couple of years and very happy with the service.

Recently I've called both of the banks to be sure I understand something and the call centre folks from both banks have mentioned:

- All banks worldwide seriously monitor the security of their internet banking processes 24 hours a day, and maintaining security is a nightmare.

- Ensure who keep your username and password totally secure.

- After you have completed an internet transaction quickly:

- Check the new balances to confirm they are correct.

- Do a complete logoff from the bank website. 

- When you receive an e.mail to inform you about transactions, make sure you read it carefully to ensure it does totally reflect whatever transaction you have just completed, then quickly delete that e,mail.

A question for the banking security gurus; is the very last bullet point above valid, can deleting the e.mail contribute to internet banking security?

I've been using internet banking with 2 Thai banks for a couple of years and very happy with the service.

Recently I've called both of the banks to be sure I understand something and the call centre folks from both banks have mentioned:

- All banks worldwide seriously monitor the security of their internet banking processes 24 hours a day, and maintaining security is a nightmare.

- Ensure who keep your username and password totally secure.

- After you have completed an internet transaction quickly:

- Check the new balances to confirm they are correct.

- Do a complete logoff from the bank website. 

- When you receive an e.mail to inform you about transactions, make sure you read it carefully to ensure it does totally reflect whatever transaction you have just completed, then quickly delete that e,mail.

A question for the banking security gurus; is the very last bullet point above valid, can deleting the e.mail contribute to internet banking security?

Yes, because when YOUR mail account gets hacked, the hackers don't find information about your banking relationships. Make sure to also empty the "deleted mails" folder

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

32 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Yes, because when YOUR mail account gets hacked, the hackers don't find information about your banking relationships. Make sure to also empty the "deleted mails" folder

The mails contain full name and full account number.

Always better not to expose such information unnecessarily.

Similar to: make sure that account statements/slips are not accessible for others.

Destroy/make unreadable before throwing away.

35 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Never seen this in any emails from Thai or foreign banks and would be alarmed if I did. Only partial displayed numbers if any. Besides banks generally communicate / message via their own server messaging systems and avoid emails apart from notifications.

Deleting email just adds a bit of extra protection to help protect your banking info from prying eyes (maybe even family/friends), getting hacked, etc.  Yes, a banking transaction email may not show your full bank account number, balance, etc., but little tidbits of info is all some hackers need to eventually put together the whole puzzle picture on your banking and then attempt a fraudulent transaction/scam.

39 minutes ago, Pib said:

Deleting email just adds a bit of extra protection to help protect your banking info from prying eyes (maybe even family/friends), getting hacked, etc.  Yes, a banking transaction email may not show your full bank account number, balance, etc., but little tidbits of info is all some hackers need to eventually put together the whole puzzle picture on your banking and then attempt a fraudulent transaction/scam.

More likely scam attempt to obtain your banking information by an email they create to look like from bank - which is why banks continually inform us they will never, ever, ask for account information via email.

4 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Never seen this in any emails from Thai or foreign banks and would be alarmed if I did. Only partial displayed numbers if any. Besides banks generally communicate / message via their own server messaging systems and avoid emails apart from notifications.

?

Both Bangkok Bank and SCB send emails (if setup) with the details of a transaction.

Never been any different since 2011 and no reason for any alarm. No reply mails of course. In case of doubt contact via phone.

Additionally SMS is sent without details (only amount and recipient name).

notification.jpg

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Always better not to expose such information unnecessarily.

When I get an email from a bank back home...( a statement is ready or similar)...it never gives my name in full and only shows the last four digits of my A/C. No.

48 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

When I get an email from a bank back home...( a statement is ready or similar)...it never gives my name in full and only shows the last four digits of my A/C. No.

Yes but TIT.

As @KhunBENQ mentions SCB certainly gives full name and account nos. when an email is sent confirming an online transaction.

The other weakness I see is that SCB only have one level of sign in, user name and password, to access the account online whereas my UK banks use at least two - random letters from a "memorable" name or similar for the second. 

For SCB - you may want to check the settings - for instance Kasikorn (& maybe Bangkok Bank) has an account masking feature - which you can turn off.  If set to off - then it shows the full account #.  If account masking is selected, only a few digits are shown.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:14 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Both Bangkok Bank and SCB send emails (if setup) with the details of a transaction.

Bangkok Bank send SMS's - not emails - in my experience. These include scrambled numbers of recipient accounts. I'll be deleting such SMS's pronto from now on!

However, they do send you an email each time you log on to their internet banking service - which I always bin PDQ.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:10 PM, Rig Pig said:

You should make it normal practice to clear your browsing files after each log-on to your banking website!!

Plus perform an operating system (e.g. Windows) update before each subsequent log-on!!

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, Swiss1960 said:

No, because I never had a bank - in my country or in Thailand - that would write full accounts numbers in their email or SMS notifications.

For Thailand I use Kasikornbank and some digits of my account number are replaced by "#" in emails, "X" in SMS.

Archived