American missionary killed by tribe on remote Indian island

webfact

8 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Seems his imaginary friend did not save him. But then imaginary friends never do.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Jesus was a spiritual teacher with great insight (he seems to have taught non-duality) but when the missionary knew the way he ended up caution should have been a priority.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, balo said:

Were they cannibals ? Then there is not much left to dig up, I guess a few bones is all they will find. Not worth the risks for a rescue operation.  

who said they were cannibals ? highly unlikely. Intelligently they wanted no physical contact let alone eat him which would kill them due to lack of antibodies against modern pathogens

a quote ....

I read about an Eskimo hunter who asked the local missionary

priest, ‘If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?’

‘No,’ said the priest, ‘not if you did not know.’ ‘Then why,’ asked

the Eskimo earnestly, ‘did you tell me?”

• Like 2

who said they were cannibals ? highly unlikely. Intelligently they wanted no physical contact let alone eat him which would kill them due to lack of antibodies against modern pathogens
I don't think they're cannibals either but I also doubt they're fully up to date on disease transmission science.

I read a more detailed account of the dead missionary's lastbl days journal and the most interesting part is that part of their response was to laugh at him.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think they're cannibals either but I also doubt they're fully up to date on disease transmission science.

I read a more detailed account of the dead missionary's lastbl days journal and the most interesting part is that part of their response was to laugh at him.

They knew that contact with Europeans devastated tribes on other islands, they are / were culturally integrated with other tribes in the region who are also but not as strongly protected or isolated from modern society. I assume he was killed immediately he was sighted on the island, his journal can only relate to similar tribes on other islands. They don't play around, two drunk fisherman whose boat drifted on to the island were killed immediately in their drunken sleep, a pig was smuggled to the island and tied to a tree as a friendly gesture by wardens, the pig was killed and buried.

They knew that contact with Europeans devastated tribes on other islands, they are / were culturally integrated with other tribes in the region who are also but not as strongly protected or isolated from modern society. I assume he was killed immediately he was sighted on the island, his journal can only relate to similar tribes on other islands. They don't play around, two drunk fisherman whose boat drifted on to the island were killed immediately in their drunken sleep, a pig was smuggled to the island and tied to a tree as a friendly gesture by wardens, the pig was killed and buried.
Nope. Not killed immediately at all! He visited three times.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 6:59 PM, Jingthing said:

Pressure from who exactly? The last I heard the family had accepted it shouldn't be done because of the risks (both to the retrievers and the tribe). Of course they should just let it be. He dug his own grave going there and now he will lie in it. 

My response is now dated; sorry. A christian advocacy group was pressuring the US Embassy and authorities in India to recover the body. Local authorities said they could/would not. Embassy officials were unofficially reaching out to MIA remains recovery groups to determine the feasibility of mounting a recovery. I know. I was contacted. It was speculative. My position was that if the rule not to go their is inviolable, then going there for this pretense differs little from the first injury of the foolish lad. I did not hear back. Such an effort was doomed to failure even if the body was recovered. There was too much PR and political drama involved as well.  I agree with your comments, as usual. Hello.