Separation and Abandonment

anchadian

Foreign man and Thai lady married at her amphoe for many years.

Thai wife sells the marital home and abandons the husband. During this time, they are in telephone conversation.

Husband wants to know where she is and why she sold the house. Wife refuses to answer either of those questions. Husband asks for a divorce but his wife says 'no'.

Husband is aware of what he can do if his wife has abandoned him for 3 years but doesn't want the expense of going thru the courts for a divorce.

Recently, the wife was able to contact the husband through FB and although she still refuses to answer the above questions, is now asking for money every month.

Simple question but not too sure if there is a simple yes or no answer:

Is the foreign husband obliged to take care of the wife financially even if she sold the house and abandoned him several years ago?

I am posting the above on behalf of a British friend here in Thailand.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, DashRye said:

Why marry at the first place. That's my answer. They marry you for your money NOT you anyways.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

absolutely correct.

But there are so many fools that move here that are just begging to be parted from their money!

ha ha

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:
16 minutes ago, VYCM said:

why would you do this?

Please explain.

I think he means he has a mortgage. 

regards worgeordie

That’s what I thought.

This is not a fool proof solution, I have known peoples wives borrow from loan sharks to pay off the mortgage to then sell the house for its current value.

Also I read that the “Britmantoo” has children in Thailand as he mentioned he takes them to school. In this case I would put the house in the child’s name, much much safer option.

18 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

No alimony for the partner in Thailand.

In a divorce he can ask for 50% of the saleprice and normally the judge will agree.

Worth checking on how long the wife can be away before liable to a divorce hearing on the grounds of desertion. I seem to remember reading somewhere that one could apply for a divorce from an absent spouse after ONE YEAR.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

You know about the 3 year deal, doesn't that timeline restart every time you give her money? Don't do it, let her sue you. Also, spend a bit on a visit to nearby country's to see what and ex-expat can expect living there.

Cambodia and Vietnam are nice places to mend a broken heart.........the 'friend' should keep his money, if it were me??  I'd sue her for half of what she got for the house.......no chance in hell of ever recouping a single satang, but it would be fun to watch her squirm in front of the Judge........then she would have a judgement against her the rest of her greedy life, maybe jail if she didn't pay up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

That's not true. In my case my wife was ordererd to deposit the money immediately with the court so that I could collect it there. If she failed to do that the house would have been sold by auction.

I guess your one of the TV readers that don't read the post. His wife already sold the house and ran off with the money so there is no house for the court to order be sold. She has probably gone thru all the proceeds from the sale and that is why is asking for monthly support now.

1 minute ago, Tony125 said:

I guess your one of the TV readers that don't read the post. His wife already sold the house and ran off with the money so there is no house for the court to order be sold. She has probably gone thru all the proceeds from the sale and that is why is asking for monthly support now.

That she spent the money already is not the problem of the court and the husband. If the money is gone she has to come up with another solution. If you read my post carefully then you will eventually realize that I was writing about my case as an example and not his own situation.

2 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

That she spent the money already is not the problem of the court and the husband. If the money is gone she has to come up with another solution. If you read my post carefully then you will eventually realize that I was writing about my case as an example and not his own situation.

I realize you wrote "in my case the court said to deposit the money or will force the house to be sold" but in his case there is no house left to be sold .  Ever heard the expression "you can't get blood from a stone"? If there is no money left the court can order her to pay half the profit from the sale but he will never collect anything.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I am one of these "silly" farangs you mention. Nothing is guaranteed in life except death and taxes. But I did not just marry the first pretty Thai girl who came along before I married and put the house in the wifes name. I did due diligence on the family and my wifes background, education and employment etc.

I am living in property and land which would be worth hundreds of thousands of GBPs if it was in Britain, all paid for and with a very good loving wife and lifestyle.

The sale of my house, all bought and paid for in the UK would buy my house here in Thailand a few times over.

If things went sour now thirteen years on, and I lost my wife and house, I would still be able to live in comfort in Thailand or another SEA country.

Yes, up to a point I took a chance, but with good genuine common sense, everything has come right for me.

good luck to you, but as you said in the first sentence.   Nothing is guaranteed in life except death and taxes. maybe you were 1 of the lucky ones but for every one like you there is shed loads of blokes that have been taken to the cleaners and gone back home pot less. ill stay single thank you.

• Like 1