Denied Entry at DMK with 60 day visa from Penang

40 minutes ago, ArickChaiyaphum said:

What nationality!!

From the OP.

6 hours ago, Duwanda Nunya said:

What would the US say about its citizens (who broke no laws or did anything wrong) being treated that way and their passports confiscated?

11 minutes ago, 3421abc said:

I don't know anyone who would come here to work illegally for a miserable salary. Oh yes many fangs would love to take the jobs from Thais. 

There are hundreds of guys in Pattaya alone who "own" and "manage" a bar even if still using some kind of Tourist Visa to stay here. There are hundreds farangs illegally working as Dive Instructor in the many Thai islands. Hundreds again working as guides for tourists of their country. Etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Very sorry to hear of your experience.  This is becoming more common, as a certain clique within Thai Immigration try to create as many "horror stories" as possible, to prevent Westerners from "sticking around" in Thailand.  They don't care if it undermines the jobs and opportunities our foreign-sourced spending creates for Thais.

Please ignore those who will post blaming you - as it is clear you violated no laws, and did not deserve what happened.  In that context, it is not necessary to have an exit-ticket to show when entering with a Tourist Visa - only when entering Visa-Exempt.  As well, a "boarding pass" is generally used "for boarding" (long since completed), so that request was just another "gotcha," used to create a false-rationale for initiating your rejected-entry.

Don't believe it.  Both Bangkok airports are known to make up "unpublished rules" (number of days on Tourist entries), and deny entry to those with legitimate Visas. 

Your tourist-visas were still valid after they sent you back, so could still be used until the "enter before" date on them. The solution was/is to come by train through Pedang Besar from Penang, then fly-onward from Hat Yai airport (domestic - no immigration involved). 

We do not have reports of people being rejected-entry for "too many days" at any land-border points other than the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.  Just be sure to have 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks (per person) to show as "pocket money," if asked.

I am sorry we could not help you with this information just after the incident occurred - or, better yet, warn to prevent your walking into that airport-immigration trap/gauntlet in the first place.

Ignore us at your peril.

There are clearly stated laws that you should have the equivalent of 20,000 baht in cash. She did not have it. So please don't post nonsense about "violating no laws".

Most countries will state that entry is at the discretion of Immigration, even yours.

She was lackadaisical and suffered for her lack of preparation.

The reason why I'm writing this? I got pulled aside because I had visited for more than six months in one year. Perhaps, I didn't check. I spoke to the supervisor and he agreed to let me in, but advised that I should get another kind of visa.

But I am a tourist, no doubt.

So the next time I visited, I took my supporting documents, so when the IO questioned me, I had the supporting documents to show and she let me through.

Every now and again, these crackdowns happen, so be prepared. They aren't monsters, but they have to be seen to be doing their jobs.

By the sound of it, they gave her many opportunities to present supporting documents and she had none.

Seems that in all of her visits, she hadn't bothered to do her research. Coming here that often, she should have known about Prawit's man, BJ and the need to have supporting documentation on entry.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My last time at DMK there was a very similar case with a middle aged japanese gent in the queue just in front of me (ye i always seem to pick the wrong queue).

He seemed to have a passport full of tourist visa's and exemptions. I could hear the young female officer ask why he was staying so much in thailand as a tourist. He had quite broken english but i picked up that he basically had a thai girlfriend (wow who'd a thought)   and was essentially living here with her. She called her sup and my temptation to skip to the next queue was tempered by my nosiness to see how all this would play out :).

Quite dull in the end though. Our guy eventually pulled a plastic folder out of his backpack and upon rifling through it the sup found his bank statements, flight itinerary etc.  He Informed the officer to stamp him in and off he went. 

So ye ....just have yer paperwork!

• Like 1

Horrible experience. Its bit of a surprise that you hadnt been "warned" on a previous entry. You mention "visa on arrival" .... Thinking your meaning visa exempt 30 day which you extended. Its too late now but an METV obtained in USA would of been good idea.

You haven't just left Thailand for few days but rather several weeks at a time. I'm really surprised this happened to you both. 

Some small things you mention are not fault of imm or airline. As I understand it they always fly you back to country you traveled from. I fly every week (don mueang) and most often the io asks for my boarding pass (yes the used one)

I think you very unlucky. Don't let it put you off. In a year you can obtain non o and then onto 12 month stays. Obtain a multi reentry permit and continue your love of travel. Good luck.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BumGun said:

I thought a Visa wasn't a guarantee of entry, it's more like an invitation that you can show up at the door ? that right of refusal is left to the discretion of the immigration official? I'd be suspicious of your behaviour as well.

Yes, many people seem to think the embassies that issue visas and immigrations are one in the same. While in most cases immigrations honors visas issued by Thai embassies, immigrations has access to far more information about the passport holder than do the embassies.

While embassies are responsible for weeding out those who may obviously not qualify for a visa, it is the immigrations officers who are given the discretion to make the ultimate decision. If they are being pressured from above to deny entry to people using tourist visas and visa exempt entries despite the amount of time spent in Thailand suggesting they are not tourists, then that's what they'll do. 

8 hours ago, Duwanda Nunya said:

my husband had gone in a different line and got through without a snag.

May not be relevant, but it seems odd. Why not stay together? I'm fairly sure family members can present their passports to be checked together at the same time.

• Like 1

They started making a file on my comings and goings. Said I had been in the country 600 days out of the last two years which was too much as a tourist. I don't think that number is correct, but you don't argue or talk back. 

600 days out of 730 days (2 years) is too much for a tourist. I can understand immigration looking at you very closely....flags being raised....sirens going off.

And the way you say "I don't think that number is correct" implies you don't disagree it was a lot of days...it just may not have been 600...could have been only approx 400.  Either way approx 400 to 600 days over 730 days via numerous entries doesn't support the "I'm just a tourist" response.   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

There are hundreds of guys in Pattaya alone who "own" and "manage" a bar even if still using some kind of Tourist Visa to stay here. There are hundreds farangs illegally working as Dive Instructor in the many Thai islands. Hundreds again working as guides for tourists of their country. Etc.

Bars that wouldn't exist, that hire Thais, I presume?  But I doubt many of those owners don't get a Non-B Visa.  Arrests of those - even with a Non-B, but w/o a work-permit - for things like "greeting customers" are reported-events, so few would dare to do this.

"Dive Instructor" - easy to find, arrest, jail, deport, and ban. 

"Guides" - similarly easy to find, arrest, jail, deport, and ban.

"English Teacher" is likely the most common, due to the schools adamantly refusing to provide the proper paperwork.  This, combined with the low-salaries, has led to the employment of low-quality English instructors (fewer Westerners now) and poor results for Thailand.  They should use the Cambodian model as a guide, given its success there.

• Like 1

B20 K in your pocket, is the Thai entry insurance policy.   It allows one to discretely smooth out any entry issues...  Not many posts about people having the 20K, and denied entry (just saying)

Edited by CanuckThai
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

There are clearly stated laws that you should have the equivalent of 20,000 baht in cash. She did not have it. So please don't post nonsense about "violating no laws".

I thought the report indicated money / finances never came up?  The IOs claimed the issue was "too many days" over years.  I did advise to carry the cash for entering at safer entry-points, though.

Most countries will state that entry is at the discretion of Immigration, even yours.

My country's laws on the reasons immigration can deny-entry differ from Thailand.  But given the very patterns of entry to my country, and what is possible for those who enter and fail to leave on-time (sanctuary cities), any comparison to Thailand is meaningless.

As to...

the need to have supporting documentation on entry. 

What documents do you carry, and suggest?  When I was using Tourist-Visas, I carried all but the kitchen-sink - bank-statements, proof-of-income, copies of degrees (showing I could take a Thai's job here if so inclined), etc.  But it never came up, because I didn't try to run the airport-gauntlets, and the entry-points I used always followed the published-rules. 

The only "made up" rule being reported at a land-border, other than Poipet, is staying out a night on visa exempt out/in trips.  Cash plus visa, and one should be OK.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

B20 K in your pocket, is the Thai entry insurance policy.   It allows one to discretely smooth out any entry issues...  Not many posts about people having the 20K, and denied entry (just saying)

It is a "must have" item, I agree - but there have been some cases reported of rejection with it.  Unless I am missing it, the 20K Baht did not come up with the OP.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

That goes for all types of visa. A few years ago I was stopped at Sadao (with a non-o), and had to produce 20k. Silly me I only had 19k; true as bob they made me go and find an ATM to draw 1k...

When I returned they sent me upstairs to get a medical check! ...The doctor didn't know what to do so we sat and chatted for a while - he enjoyed the chance to use his English.

Sometimes it is just down to personal prejudice, if they don't like your face you are already losing ...I have an African country passport. I suspect the OP does not have US/UK/EU passport.

• Like 1