Tesco Lotus To Drop Disposable Plastic Bags Next Week

webfact

20 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

No they won't.

The paper for the bags will come from either recycled paper or forest plantations of fast growing farmed trees for paper production.  

It will actually help the environment as more farmers will grow trees for the paper.... and these trees will take in carbon from the air as they grown. 

And where will the land for that come from?

4 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

I am not sure what you are saying here.
You talk about the danger of chemical leaching, then post a link to an article that says there is NO danger of leaching from modern bottles.
I refill a couple of six liter water bottles at my condo's RO machine all of the time. Costs five baht each. I then (sometimes) use a washed out Coke Zero bottle with label removed to carry with me. Not all the time, because I am disabled, and it can be difficult to manage, but I try. ????
Yeah, I am a subversive "libtard" who took the ZPG pledge (Zero Population Growth) at university, and kept it. I am not a fanatic with it, but make an effort to spare the planet for YOUR children and grandchildren. I hope you will. too.
YOU being all, Mike, 555. Not picking on ya. ????

You can order these bottles on ebay. They cost 100 baht. Shipping is free to Thailand. They are safe to use over and over. Made of hard plastic. BPA free. The normal bottles you refer to, like the Coke Zero is made of a soft, low grade plastic, that degrades, and the chemicals leach into your water. That is the difference. Easy deal. Safe. Clean water, without clogging the oceans with our personal waste. We all have to take some responsibility. Sounds like you are doing your part. All I am saying is there is a safe way to accomplish the same thing. Those plastic water bottles are messing with this planet, in a huge way. The future consequences are unforeseen. I personally, am going to try to be as little a part of that, as I possible can.

Plastic #1 is intended for one-time use only. As a precaution, these bottles should not be reused or heated and can be recycled once into new secondary products such as fabric, carpet or plastic lumber. Some studies have found levels of antimony (a toxic chemical) discharge from water bottles that have been placed in the heat for prolonged times, or used multiple times. It’s always best to make sure that your water bottles are not temperature abused even though PETE does not contain Phthalates.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Humpy said:

......... and then when it rains !!!!!?????.... oh, I know, buy some plastic bin bags from the store to put the paper bags in... simple.

Simple......Buy or bring a cloth bag....keep it in your car or under your motorbike seat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Tesco Lotus has apologized for misstating its plans in a news release. The company later said it would only join the campaign for one day, not indefinitely as it was originally worded. This story has been revised accordingly.

Well, my plans to start shopping at Tesco Lotus have been revised accordingly. 

• Like 1

What would we do without the ever encroaching conditioning of plastics overwhelming our every movement of existence?

What did we do before?

You and the plastics are one-n-the-same.

Be the plastic.

Futile to resist - go into the light.

It amazes me that this country cannot get plastic bags under control when a so called 3rd world country like South Africa banned free plastic bags over a decade ago. And it is worth noting that England is as weak as Thailand because it has also not banned them.

Personally I never shop in Tesco Lotus. There are better options.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

And where will the land for that come from?

Farmland.

Land which already used for farming.  Farmers will change to a more profitable crop (in this case fast growing trees) from other less profitable crops.

Anyway the stupid supermarket has changed its mind to it does not really matter now. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 1:37 PM, balo said:

I wonder if the paper bags they hand out will be free? 

I sincerely hope not. If they'd charge people for bags, plastic or otherwise, more people would take a basket or reusable shopping bag with them and I'd feel less embarrassed being the only one in the store packing his groceries into a cloth bag, which I've been doing for about 20 years by the way - both in Europe and, to a lesser extent albeit, here in Thailand.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

So instead of properly disposing of plastic, they will increase the rate of deforestation by using more trees to make all these paper bags.  

Years ago,  a company I worked with removed all the paper cups to save the trees, replaced them with plastic.  

If people simply re-used and recycled rather than dispose, we would have none of these issues 

We have, unfortunately, become a throw away society. 

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I think trees are specifically grown to make paper.  It's called pulpwood.  Grown like any other crop - takes a bit longer. 

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5910b6723a041193b95b8189/t/59247ce66b8f5bac8400a287/1495563496041/How+Are+Trees+Grown+for+Paper.pdf

But I believe papermaking is a very water and energy intense process. Where will THAT come from? 

• Like 1

The big impact to Thais will come if there is ever pressure put on to stop selling food and drinks in plastic bags and containers. I can see blood in the streets if everyone has to bring their own containers, although it’s worked well in the Netherlands for thirty years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

The big impact to Thais will come if there is ever pressure put on to stop selling food and drinks in plastic bags and containers. I can see blood in the streets if everyone has to bring their own containers, although it’s worked well in the Netherlands for thirty years.

There's a starting point and will have to be an initiative lead by government.  Nothing radical and quite easy. 

Blood in the street is more than a little extreme for what amounts to recyclable bag/container.  Have faith. 

11 hours ago, BobTH said:

UPDATE:  Tesco has retracted their statement and Tesco, only one day like the others now.

Well done BobTH for bringing such good news.

I broke the sad news to the wife yesterday that on no account will we ever go into Tesco once the plastic bag ban starts (except to use their loo) and now I've just gone to the bathroom, where she was washing her hair, to tell her the good news. We did a little jig of delight. However my first choice remains Big C because of their green bags and better carts.

Of course i'm upset when a whale dies through eating plastic stuff, and I was peeved when Bo Bo the horse, died but it is so easy to blame the plastic. I'm not a lover of degradable plastic bags either. We are quick to attach blame. But plastic has not get brains like humans have.

Up here in the North East there are literally millions of sacks. They are used to hold pig food, fish food, fertilizer and a multitude of a other stuff, including salt, poo poo, and leaves. They get ripped and when they are deemed to be useless they are simply discarded just like the plastic drinking straws. When they start to disintegrate they make one hell of a mess.

The way forward is not to ban plastic but to encourage everyone to respect it for what it is; a human advancement, just like the motor car. I'm not the first to say this, but why not reward people to dispose of their bags in a manner that will not foul up the environment? Bonus points at the supermarket, free drinks at 7-11, half price fruit at the market. The possibilities are endless.

Together, we (TVForum posters), can help Thailand to stop demonizing plastic, and start respecting it. To help the country better understand the environmental damage and wildlife destruction that poor disposal can inflict. Just like putting a pic' of cancerous gums on a fag pack, a pic of a dead whale, or horse, with plastic coming out of its mouth could easily be printed on a plastic bag.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well done BobTH for bringing such good news.

I broke the sad news to the wife yesterday that on no account will we ever go into Tesco once the plastic bag ban starts (except to use their loo) and now I've just gone to the bathroom, where she was washing her hair, to tell her the good news. We did a little jig of delight. However my first choice remains Big C because of their green bags and better carts.

Of course i'm upset when a whale dies through eating plastic stuff, and I was peeved when Bo Bo the horse, died but it is so easy to blame the plastic. I'm not a lover of degradable plastic bags either. We are quick to attach blame. But plastic has not get brains like humans have.

Up here in the North East there are literally millions of sacks. They are used to hold pig food, fish food, fertilizer and a multitude of a other stuff, including salt, poo poo, and leaves. They get ripped and when they are deemed to be useless they are simply discarded just like the plastic drinking straws. When they start to disintegrate they make one hell of a mess.

The way forward is not to ban plastic but to encourage everyone to respect it for what it is; a human advancement, just like the motor car. I'm not the first to say this, but why not reward people to dispose of their bags in a manner that will not foul up the environment? Bonus points at the supermarket, free drinks at 7-11, half price fruit at the market. The possibilities are endless.

Together, we (TVForum posters), can help Thailand to stop demonizing plastic, and start respecting it. To help the country better understand the environmental damage and wildlife destruction that poor disposal can inflict. Just like putting a pic' of cancerous gums on a fag pack, a pic of a dead whale, or horse, with plastic coming out of its mouth could easily be printed on a plastic bag.

Delusional. Ban plastic everywhere except for the medical industry.

Tomorrow, December 4th, FoodLand (Soi 5) is threatening to not give out plastic bags and they're indicating that cloth bags should be brought (or bought?). This will be a one-day event, much to my chagrin. I'm prepared for no plastic bags anytime an forever in every store. Oh, well.

Have to start somewhere and with baby steps, I guess. I'd also guess that's it's a one-day, politically-correct virtue signaling to keep up with Tesco-Lotus(?) and that's about it.