Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Here is a list of UK food & drink that currently enjoys Protected Geographical Status under EU law - only clotted cream from Cornwall can legally be called Cornish Clotted Cream; only whisky from Scotland can be called Scotch, for example.

Already the US has made it clear that they want these protected statuses removed to allow their producers to compete. In order to reach a deal, our government is likely going to sell out our heritage. 

I understand your point and you are right but somehow this is funny/

How many people are interested in "Cornish Clotted Cream"?

And how many would buy "Scotch" from the USA?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, evadgib said:

That surprised me too as Carney is surely a banker rather than a politician, albeit prefixed by 'Merchant????

Andrew Pearce summed him & the Treasury up wonderfully a few mins ago during sky news press preview when he said something like "They can't even get their 3 month forecasts right, let alone 30 years!"

If Carney says it, do the opposite....... pratt ! 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Did anyone of the hard Brexiters ever publish a realistic and positive forecast for the future after Brexit?

As far as I know that didn't happen. And it's easy to explain why it didn't happen: Because it's impossible!

They all moan and they all tell their stories how they would make things better but it's all bla bla. Just unrealistic dreams.

Its like telling a car manufacturer that you don't like that car for $20,000 which with 100BHP and 3l per 100km.

You want a car with 500BHP which uses 1l per 100km for $5,000. That's what you want and you insist that is the only thing you would buy.

Yeah, great idea, except it's just a dream and won't happen. Get real!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

the majority of people in the UK voted out

but are not getting the Brexit they voted for 

a lot of people on here will  be watching the Pound 

I think the MPs will vote her Brexit through on the 11th December as any other options are Negative to the Country will see on 

the 11th 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Here is a list of UK food & drink that currently enjoys Protected Geographical Status under EU law - only clotted cream from Cornwall can legally be called Cornish Clotted Cream; only whisky from Scotland can be called Scotch, for example.

Already the US has made it clear that they want these protected statuses removed to allow their producers to compete. In order to reach a deal, our government is likely going to sell out our heritage. 

I agree that products need to be protected but there must be ways around it? How does the wine industry fare re Burgandy etc bottled in say Chile or OZ? I also recall reading something supporting your point involving the term "Kiwi" fruit where NZ failed to trademark the name and lost out to growers in Chile around a decade ago.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, shackleton said:

the majority of people in the UK voted out

but are not getting the Brexit they voted for 

a lot of people on here will  be watching the Pound 

I think the MPs will vote her Brexit through on the 11th December as any other options are Negative to the Country will see on 

the 11th 

The 'legal advise' currently being withheld is thought to contain confirmation that the northern ireland backstop could leave us in the EU indefinitely!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I agree that products need to be protected but there must be ways around it? How does the wine industry fare re Burgandy etc bottled in say Chile or OZ? I also recall reading something supporting your point involving the term "Kiwi" fruit where NZ failed to trademark the name and lost out to growers in Chile around a decade ago.

This document from the EC gives an insight into the issue - http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-03-160_en.htm

8 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I hope the Brexiteer expats ranting on here,have the required lump sum in the bank,as many will not make the income test,if the pound falls to parity with the dollar,i guess they won't be so happy then,when it affects THEM,maybe they can return to glorious Brittania, one tip take a sleeping bag and some cardboard with you.

Yes!! This is a possibility. But we will have our freedom mko.

We will need to rebuild our industries. Eat more UK caught fish, drink more English wine, scotch whisky, and stop those foreign footballers taking out the pounds from the UK.

I see Spain has caused a little headache over Gibraltar. It's only been a democracy for 5 minutes. Not like us. We could bring the Mediterranean shipping to a halt if we wanted to.

Step up to the plate the new Winston C! Is Moggie the man???

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

... But if it happened, there would be a 25 percent tumble in the value of sterling -- taking it close to parity against the dollar -- a spike in inflation to 6.5 percent from around 2.4 percent now, and a jump in interest rates. House prices would fall by 30 percent.

I get paid in US$ and don't live in the UK but plan on buying my retirement mansion there soon so, if you must, bring it on.