Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

Just now, rixalex said:

That wasn't quite my point.

Whether or not remainers are happy with May's deal, the point is that if the binary vote in 2016 could be successfully argued as being too complex and that the people didn't really know what they were voting for, this proposed second referendum will be open to the same criticism, for anyone so inclined.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The interesting point is that NO-ONE is happy with May and the eu's 'deal' -,not even the remainers, although they obviously consider a leave in name only 'deal' better than genuinely leaving.

Nonetheless, she insists that it fulfills everyone's requirements ????.

And yet she is still pushing it as the way forward....

• Like 2

The European Commission will at noon today publish its preparation plans for no-deal Brexit. Here are some highlights based on early info:

1) UK nationals residing in other EU countries will from 29 March no longer have the right to live/work there - in their words, Brits will not be given any special right to stay on the continent. But the Commission will ask member states to prepare national laws to allow them to stay for now, so they’re not immediately expelled.

It’s up to national capitals whether they want to do this

2) The Commission will put in place some sector-specific emergency arrangements, but these will be very limited in time and scope. 

They include emergency arrangements to stop planes from being grounded, and measures for financial services to protect money flows.

3) The key thing that will be stressed for all transition arrangements is that they are temporary (will last only until the end of next year) and can be cancelled unilaterally by the EU.

4) This proposal will need to be approved by member states and the European Parliament before MEPs leave for election campaigning in March.

That leaves just 2 months for this legislation to be considered and approved - which would be record timing.

The lack of EU-level guarantee for UK citizens to remain in EU will raise eyebrows.

Commission is asking EU countries to replicate what May is offering at national level for EU citizens in the UK. 

But as far as EU is concerned they will be considered “third country nationals”

This is going to be the EU's no deal strategy - temporary equivalence to deal with the worst of the disruption, with tight deadlines to force the UK back to the negotiating table.

"Here's the withdrawal agreement for you to sign"

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

The European Commission will at noon today publish its preparation plans for no-deal Brexit. Here are some highlights based on early info:

1) UK nationals residing in other EU countries will from 29 March no longer have the right to live/work there - in their words, Brits will not be given any special right to stay on the continent. But the Commission will ask member states to prepare national laws to allow them to stay for now, so they’re not immediately expelled.

2) The Commission will put in place some sector-specific emergency arrangements, but these will be very limited in time and scope. 

They include emergency arrangements to stop planes from being grounded, and measures for financial services to protect money flows.

3) The key thing that will be stressed for all transition arrangements is that they are temporary (will last only until the end of next year) and can be cancelled unilaterally by the EU.

4) This proposal will need to be approved by member states and the European Parliament before MEPs leave for election campaigning in March.

That leaves just 2 months for this legislation to be considered and approved - which would be record timing.

The lack of EU-level guarantee for UK citizens to remain in EU will raise eyebrows.

Commission is asking EU countries to replicate what May is offering at national level for EU citizens in the UK. 

No problem eat your passport and claim asylum.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I beleive you are from Norway,so perhaps you would like to comment on this———-

9D9B830F-A437-4CF0-8599-83A1636AF5FA.jpeg

Norway's economic resilience spring from using their North Sea oil revenue sensibly and setting up  a sovereign wealth fund to invest in the country for the future, rather than cutting other taxes and using the oil income to replace them.

Of course being in the EEA and Schengen area with free movement helps   - are you suggesting we emulate them ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tebee said:

This is an interesting contribution from you Tebee.

My immediate reaction is surprise, but a positive surprise at the EU's position.

Positive because I hope it sets a precedent for EU member states to be able to agree other issues bilaterally with the UK post Brexit.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

This is an interesting contribution from you Tebee.

My immediate reaction is surprise, but a positive surprise at the EU's position.

Positive because I hope it sets a precedent for EU member states to be able to agree other issues bilaterally with the UK post Brexit.

and I think that the Commission is handling this adequately,

leaving it to member states to reciprocate what UK offers.

54 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

and I think that the Commission is handling this adequately,

leaving it to member states to reciprocate what UK offers.

If member states had this kind of flexibility on other issues it would be a much more attractive proposition to people like me who are in favour of European integration, but not in favour of an unreformed EU. The Bruegel Group, a Brussels-based thinktank, has published some interesting ideas on reform, but it seems that the EU is impervious to all such ideas.

It seems to me that change is happening anyway at the national and grassroots level. Brexit is just the most currently significant example of this.

But as for the EU's motivation in "allowing" member states to reciprocate with the UK on expat status - this could just as easily be a recognition that the EU doesn't have the power to control this anyway, as it is an indication of an emerging EU liberalism.

Nevertheless I hope it sets a precedent for member states to have more self-determination than they've enjoyed in the past.

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tebee said:

in the case of no deal I reckon 1) is adequately addressed by EU, can't really reasonably expect more,

the responsibility for the well being of UKers in EU is in the hands of the UK MFA.

2)

is the big issue really, and it goes far beyond UK airlines and UK airports.

cross border transport in general (marine road rail) is affected

cross border transport of narcotics (in medical products)

just to name a few extras

another issue that I have not seen mentioned so far;

UKers living/working in EU that have a licenced profession;

drivers (of boats planes vehicles trains)

physicians nurses

am sure there are a bunch more

as of April fools day, their ticket issuing agencies will no longer be recognized

can they still work in EU on none recognised tickets?

• Like 1

Just now, My Thai Life said:

If member states had this kind of flexibility on other issues it would be a much more attractive proposition to people like me who are in favour of European integration, but not in favour of an unreformed EU. The Bruegel Group, a Brussels-based thinktank, has published some interesting ideas on reform, but it seems that the EU is impervious to all such ideas.

It seems to me that change is happening anyway at the national and grassroots level. Brexit is just the most currently significant example of this.

But as for the EU's motivation in "allowing" member states to reciprocate with the UK on expat status - this could just as easily be a recognition that the EU doesn't have the power to control this anyway, as it is an indication of an emerging EU liberalism.

Nevertheless I hope it sets a precedent for member states to have more self-determination than they've enjoyed in the past.

"It seems to me that change is happening anyway at the national and grassroots level. Brexit is just the most currently significant example of this."

Except change is still not happening....  The eu is showing no intention of reform....

• Like 2

Is the UK also present after Brexit?
Brussels. The EU ban on plastic plates, drinking straws and other disposable plastic products is sealed. Negotiators from the European Parliament and the EU states agreed on details on Wednesday morning in Brussels, as the Austrian presidency announced.In May, the European Commission proposed banning disposable crockery, straws, cotton swabs and other disposable plastic items. EU countries and the European Parliament adopted the proposals with slight changes. The aim of the previous round of negotiations is a compromise between the three institutions.

10 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I agree to a certain extent, as I like some aspects of the eu.

But as long as the politicians and bureaucrats are determined that reform is not on the agenda - they have to be FORCED into reform or breakdown ☹️.

Hasten to add, that I do not want to see the eu break down, as it would result in even more instability.  BUT, if the bureaucrats and politicians refuse to let go of their overpaid positions and determination to pursue this (and their control) even further - then it's bound to happen IMO....

Edit - and like politicians everywhere, eu politicians are only really concerned about their own power and wealth, not economic protectionism - unless it supports their own power and wealth.....

We've seen it time and time again with so many politicians....

You do understand not everyone shares your point of view, don’t you?

And if they don’t then you should consider the EU may not be ‘FORCED’ to do anything.

2 hours ago, tebee said:

This one.?

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/contingency-qanda_en.pdf

• Thanks 1