Unsuspecting tourists heading to Phuket airport find themselves in meth bust

rooster59

13 hours ago, BestB said:

Col Gerasak urged all tourists, “Please be aware of the vehicle that you are getting in, especially if there is anything in the van that does not belong there.
Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/unsuspecting-tourists-heading-to-phuket-airport-find-themselves-in-meth-bust-69528.php#sLJOzze5ph0dLUXs.99

From now on, the first thing i would do before getting into a taxi van is go through any and all things in it to make it belongs there

It may be a bit challenging if you find a snow shovel or a snowblower...

• Haha 1

That's why I only hire rental cars at airports and drive myself, no hidden drugs that's a given, no late drivers, drivers speeding, falling asleep driver's, drunk driver's, no change of drivers, and drivers wanting to sell me something, then when in Phuket wanting to charge me an arm and a leg to go somewhere local, etc etc etc, just me driving and when you work it out for the length of time you stay and the cost of taxis, your better off hiring a rental car from the airport, you also have the freedom to drive to wherever you want, not just be stuck in Phuket.

As you can tell, I cannot stand Thai taxi (mafia) drivers.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

And don't forget to deflate all the tyres, including the spare, to check for drugs. It is always a good idea to take apart the engine compartment, check inside the seats, take up the carpets or floor coverings and check behind the ceiling covering. Then do a complete body and body cavity search of the driver and you are all done.

Love this!!! Great one. You will of course need a fair few tools as well. It might be a good idea to arrange the pick-up at least 24 hrs before you need to go? That is a lot of work to go through!!!! I have not read the full, but am assuming the guests were not involved?

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

The tourists should probably considered themselves lucky they weren't accused and held for ransom by the cops.

And the "cops" had no ability to see that the passengers were innocent? Idiots.

3 hours ago, todlad said:

Unlocked? I am sure I am not alone. After a trip I would often fling my unused coins into a pouch in my suitcase. Many countries. Low value.

After one trip, it was obvious my bag had been tampered with. They didn't have time to find the coins the X rays had highlighted.

I bought a new lock. This time, they smashed it off and took some of the coins. 

I reported the theft to the airline.

Longer story short, two more trips and all coins gone. The common thread in all of this? BKK!

Locks mean nothing. I had one smashed in Africa, too but lost nothing.

The coins are attractive and probably a diversion although I really carry nothing of value in my hold baggage. I don't lock it any more.

I always have my hold luggage wrapped going back and forth between BKK and Melbourne. Have never had a problem. I guess it would take thieves too much time to get to the contents.

How many times do mini van drivers stop along the way on your rides?   Ive Even had them getting calls and going out of the way to pick up boxes big and small  and small bundles and envelopes?   I try not to use mini vans but in July something happened and that was all I had.  Yes crazy fast driver.