Riding in right lane

3 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Flash your lights at a Thai motorist you chance a shooting, stabbing or a beating. A friend of mine was threatened with a gun, some guy in a Benz didn't like being "flashed".

So true and so pathetic

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If I am riding my motorbike, and going to make a right hand turn or U turn ahead of me on a two lane carriageway and the road is busy, I will be out on that right hand lane in plenty of time and to hell with any regulations.

No car or truck is going to let you in even though you are indicating in plenty of time, so you may have to get out early.

Like the Thai do? One kilo up front as they (too) are probably scared to not be able to get 'in'.

1 hour ago, Saladin said:

It is the norm in any developed country that, regardless of whether yo are a driver or a rider, you pass on the OUTSIDE (the lane furthest from the curb), unless there are designated speed lanes such as on autobahn. Passing on the inside is suicidal and dangerous for all road users. Why it is tolerated in Thailand escapes me.

On Thai roads, you might expect really anything coming out from any hole, street or shop. Riding on the right lane is the safest way actually. But, then again, when all is safe they refuse to go back to the left. Would you not overturn on the left?

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I keep asking myself why they bother having any laws in Thailand of there is zero enforcement by a failed institution that is supposed to enforce laws.

Long ago there was a Maharadja of Yokjakarta that let his people have their own way and he only said that if the people would abuse this system, they spilled their beans and the government would have to enforce again. What I was told by a guide in Indonesia that system worked well for a while. Would not work in Thailand. Total anarchy.

5 hours ago, 1337markus said:

If you are not passing another vehicle you have to drive in the very left lane.

But this law is only enforced for motorcycles and also only in some regions ????

Very hard as a motorbike rider to use the left lane dedicated to this mode of transport because of the Me Me attitude of 4 wheel drivers who thinks its theirs to use to overtake the other 2 lanes.

I don't think I understand your statement, driving in the right hand lane is only allowed while passing, and from what I have seen it is well enforced for all vehicles here, I was pulled over for it once when I was driving my car in the right lane because there were huge holes in the left lane, another time when I was going through a police checkpoint an officer pulled my car aside and asked me what I was doing driving in the right lane, to which I replied that I was overtaking a slow moving vehicle, then he waved me on.

2 hours ago, Saladin said:

It is the norm in any developed country that, regardless of whether yo are a driver or a rider, you pass on the OUTSIDE (the lane furthest from the curb), unless there are designated speed lanes such as on autobahn. Passing on the inside is suicidal and dangerous for all road users. Why it is tolerated in Thailand escapes me.

It is tolerated because it is enshrined in law via the Road Traffic Act.

Where there are two or more lanes facing in the same direction it is perfectly legal to overtake on the left.

It does somewhat conflict with one of the rules under the act to ‘drive on the left”.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:18 PM, Moonlover said:

In my experience (5 years worth), it is very rare to see a motorcyclist carry out right turn in what, we in the developed world, would regard as the correct matter. They nearly always pull over to the left and wait for a gap. Not too risky on a single carriageway, but very dangerous on a fast multi-lane highway.

It is not the law. My wife did an official riding course at a well known school in Udon Thani and there they were taught to do it the correct way. (as we understand it)

I've just asked Madam Moon why they do it this way and she doesn't know why. It seems to be one those many habits that they have learned from their elders and, unless they are taught differently in later years, they just carry on doing.

It's same same when they are riding in your direction, i.e. on the wrong side of the road to avoid going all the way down to do a uturn, never see cops on the roads to enforce the law and the fines are a joke as is the license point system which they lack, suffice to say the only time you see the cops on the road is when it's time to make the monthly targets checking registration labels, no checking road worthiness, or breath tests for drunk drivers.

As the saying goes, "is up to you"

On 12/3/2018 at 1:18 PM, Moonlover said:

In my experience (5 years worth), it is very rare to see a motorcyclist carry out right turn in what, we in the developed world, would regard as the correct matter. They nearly always pull over to the left and wait for a gap. Not too risky on a single carriageway, but very dangerous on a fast multi-lane highway.

It is not the law. My wife did an official riding course at a well known school in Udon Thani and there they were taught to do it the correct way. (as we understand it)

I've just asked Madam Moon why they do it this way and she doesn't know why. It seems to be one those many habits that they have learned from their elders and, unless they are taught differently in later years, they just carry on doing.

Probably because Somchai numnuts following in the car behind wont  look where hes  going and drive into the back of somchai motocy trying to turn right in the centre of the road.

I see many on motorbikes their heads are often looking anywhere  but the road ahead and for huge lengths of time.

Failing that Somchai numnuts brother coming in the other direction fails to keep on his side of the road and wanders over the half worn out barely visible painted line into the oncoming traffic and wipes out the  motocy

35 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

Screenshot_20181204-195819_Gallery.jpg

Afaik this sign is not an "official" sign, so the sign itself doesn't have any legal relevance. Legal signs can be found in for example this document: http://irrigation.rid.go.th/rid14/water/library/shelf/formula/page/Transport/DOH/files/035.pdf

Of course there is still the law which says every vehicle has to keep left, so this sign does probably exist to make people remember this law.

30 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik this sign is not an "official" sign, so the sign itself doesn't have any legal relevance.

I would love to watch you tell that to the police as they write you a ticket.  Good luck with that!

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Where there are two or more lanes facing in the same direction it is perfectly legal to overtake on the left.

Read that again.  Thai version is more understandable.  i.e. If there are two or more lanes of TRAFFIC then the traffic in the left lane may go faster than the one immediately right.  'Traffic' is the key factor here.  If you're driving in a right lane when there's little or no traffic in the left, then that's where you should be.

As I've always taught others, "if the lane to your left is empty, then you are in the wrong lane".

43 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

Whether they choose to enforce the laws or not is their decision.  Knowing the laws in the country you are driving is your responsibility. 

I think Kannot was pointing out that even the police are often ignorant of the law.  There was an exam for traffic police in BKK some time ago.  12% failed.  Their punishment:  They could not issue tickets until they had resit and passed the exam.

• Like 1

Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979)
Section 34 covers private cars and mentions drivers should keep in the left-hand side lanes, except in the 5 listed situations.
Section 35 specifically applies to trucks, passenger vehicles, motorcycles, and vehicles of lower speeds and states they must keep to the curbside of the roadway as close as possible.

www.thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

Read that again.  Thai version is more understandable.  i.e. If there are two or more lanes of TRAFFIC then the traffic in the left lane may go faster than the one immediately right.  'Traffic' is the key factor here.  If you're driving in a right lane when there's little or no traffic in the left, then that's where you should be.

As I've always taught others, "if the lane to your left is empty, then you are in the wrong lane".

I did say one of the first rules was drive on the left!

Obviously, if there was no traffic overtaking on the left wouldn’t come into play....????

On 12/2/2018 at 2:30 PM, jackdd said:

In general Thailand has the same rule regarding this matter as most other countries: If you are not passing another vehicle you have to drive in the very left lane.

But this law is only enforced for motorcycles and also only in some regions ????

So if any vehicle is driving in another lane than the very left one (if it's possible to drive there) and the driver is not passing other vehicles the driver is breaking the law.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/land-traffic-act/

Did you by any chance come across section saying it was OK for motorcycles to ride in the inside lane against the flow of oncoming traffic? Happens all the time here - and often at night with no lights. And they wonder why the motorycle death/accident figures are sky-high. . . 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, Myran said:

There's hardly any such motorcycle-specific rule. What are you supposed to do if you're gonna make a U-turn? Pull over to the side of the road and do one of those crazy maneuvers where you cross all lanes to get to the U-turn?

I do plenty of riding in the left lane when it is warranted, and have never been pulled over for it. As long as you keep with the flow of traffic, there's hardly anything wrong or dangerous about it.

That's what the Thais do and what I do.

It also is not a rule but law.

Motorcycles be they big or small have to keep in the left lane at ALL times.

What's more they have to keep at a distance of no more than 25 cm (twentyfive) from the hard shoulder.

Ergo pull over to the side of the road, watch the traffic and make your move or U-turn.????????:cheesy:

Other than providing an opportunity for many of you to vent your frustrations a debate about traffic law in Thailand seems a total waste of time as written law and reality often have little similarities. 

In my experience the law is as follows 1. My car is bigger than yours so I have the right of way. 2. my car is more expensive than yours so I have the right of way. 3. I am on a motorbike so I can go wherever I want including sidewalks. 4. You are farang so it is always your fault and you must pay.

remembering these rules I have had no accidents and no problems in 5 years of driving here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/4/2018 at 5:22 PM, canthai55 said:

Or any other. Ever drive in India ? Middle East ? Mexico or Central America.

Most people here drive OK - some not.

empirical data will differ with you though

most recent has thai at 6 but that is old data.

yes to India, well Egypt as opposed to other ME and Mexico

true not everyone has common sense,

but Thai people don't think about safety even as an afterthought

the indicators are something to make the car look good at night when it is dark