UK Pensions (2018)

15 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Just the very basic understanding of UK benefit fraud,associated with standard UK old age pension,and the instruments associated with it ,render this posting not only infantile but truly atrocious in content,if you cannot,or are unwilling to gain basic facts from DWP pension fundamentals, its not worth posting

A worried poster...........????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Quite Bill. Amazing how quickly they can change the law when it suits.

IIRC if he moves anywhere in the world his pension will not be frozen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salaries_of_Members_of_the_United_Kingdom_Parliament

Pension arrangements
MPs will normally receive a pension of either 1/40th or 1/50th of their final pensionable salary for each year of pensionable service depending on the contribution rate they will have chosen. Members who made contributions of 13.75% of their salary gain an accrual rate of 1/40th.[22] According to a 2009 report in the Daily Mail, state contributions for MPs are more than four times higher than the average paid out by companies for final-salary schemes, but they are not significantly more generous than most public-sector pensions.[23]

If an MP stands down during the course of a Parliament for ill health reasons, an ill health retirement grant is payable, calculated in the same way as the Resettlement Grant (as well as an immediate pension based on the service the MP would have accrued if he or she had continued to serve until age 65).

Resettlement Grant
The Resettlement Grant motherhood is the name given to the MPs' severance pay package. It may be claimed to help former MPs with the costs of adjusting to life outside parliament. It is payable to any Member who ceases to be an MP at a general election. The amount is based on age and length of service, and varies between 50% and 100% of the annual salary payable to a Member of Parliament at the time of the dissolution.[2]

In the UK the first £30,000 of severance pay is tax-free. As stated above, the amount retiring MPs, or those who lose their seats receive, depends on how old they are and how long they have served in the House. For example, an MP who stays in office for one term (say 5 years) and then leaves office will currently receive tax-free severance pay of 50% of their current salary, or £32,383 at current rates – equivalent to an annual salary increment of over £12,000 at current tax rates and pay scales.

There is a lot more of that on the link.

I wish I had known this before I joined the RAF. I would have chosen a different career path when I was younger.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, izod10 said:

Just the very basic understanding of UK benefit fraud,associated with standard UK old age pension,and the instruments associated with it ,render this posting not only infantile but truly atrocious in content,if you cannot,or are unwilling to gain basic facts from DWP pension fundamentals, its not worth posting

Yes i reckon your right ,because if they do not have 1000 pounds to pay the fine ,their pension cant be stopped to pay either that or the repayment ,it actually says on the govt website that your pension cannot be taken away ,all must be paid , so i suppose if you did not pay they would have to drag you back to the UK and put you in prison .love to see that in the papers . 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Yes i reckon your right ,because if they do not have 1000 pounds to pay the fine ,their pension cant be stopped to pay either that or the repayment ,it actually says on the govt website that your pension cannot be taken away ,all must be paid , so i suppose if you did not pay they would have to drag you back to the UK and put you in prison .love to see that in the papers . 

As you say,they cannot stop,adjust or take anything away from it, not punishable,  they would be breaking the law. All the wording states is that any other benefit that is attached to the pension MAYBE adjusted,the other benefits(s)  would be even harder if not impossible to adjust,so there you have it.  Also stated that all benefit allegations will not be investigated,this being one. Just proof of life will see pension suspended until proof provided.

Anyway its likened to a red rag to a bull this topic ,better doing it as a PM

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, izod10 said:

As you say,they cannot stop,adjust or take anything away from it, not punishable,  they would be breaking the law. All the wording states is that any other benefit that is attached to the pension MAYBE adjusted,the other benefits(s)  would be even harder if not impossible to adjust,so there you have it.  Also stated that all benefit allegations will not be investigated,this being one. Just proof of life will see pension suspended until proof provided.

Anyway its likened to a red rag to a bull this topic ,better doing it as a PM

Might as well include this,..a little birdy in Newcastle did inform me that screen shots from this topic in TV have been sent there to see if any action could be taken as to the overwhelming amount of pensioners not declaring,   wonder who that could be ?   lol  lol 

16 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Might as well include this,..a little birdy in Newcastle did inform me that screen shots from this topic in TV have been sent there to see if any action could be taken as to the overwhelming amount of pensioners not declaring,   wonder who that could be ?   lol  lol 

who would bother ? to be honest i dont actually know any pensioners who dont declare ,i feel though that its wrong we dont get the rises, and many pensioners will be losing the dependents allowance next year to add to the injustice , add that to the fact the pound has plummeted in the last years and many i feel will have to return ,.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

who would bother ? to be honest i dont actually know any pensioners who dont declare ,i feel though that its wrong we dont get the rises, and many pensioners will be losing the dependents allowance next year to add to the injustice , add that to the fact the pound has plummeted in the last years and many i feel will have to return ,.

Its up to the individual,some frightened of their own shadow. DWP benefit fraud document more than spells it out,in the case of unfrozen pensioner little there to bother him/her,its when total <deleted>,no relevance to anything is posted,just wonder why anyone would publish the lying rubbish,just fantasy,it looks good,bang it down,get my two minutes of fame.

DWP will turn a blind eye to what the subject matter is,will only send a letter out "we believe" etc.etc etc.  if their nose is pushed into the ground,ignore it,cannot do anything,cept of course proof of life has been established if returned

Edited by izod10
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, izod10 said:

Its up to the individual,some frightened of their own shadow. DWP benefit fraud document more than spells it out,in the case of unfrozen pensioner little there to bother him/her,its when total <deleted>,no relevance to anything is posted,just wonder why anyone would publish the lying rubbish,just fantasy,it looks good,bang it down,get my two minutes of fame.

DWP will turn a blind eye to what the subject matter is,will only send a letter out "we believe" etc.etc etc.  if their nose is pushed into the ground,ignore it,cannot do anything,cept of course proof of life has been established if returned

If you are a UK Gov. representative, then thanks for the heads up, if you are just a "dodger", just keep your stuff to yourself, eh..????

Take notice of this bloke at your peril.......????

• Haha 1
On 4/19/2019 at 2:47 AM, transam said:

I haven't mentioned it before but a month or two back a friend asked..

"Has X phoned you"....."No, why"..."He is in deep <deleted>, got divorced and hasn't got the extra cash for a retirement extension, PLUS the UK has found out he lives in LOS but claiming he is in the UK, they want their money back, thought you could help him out with the visa woes"......"Hmmm, sounds not good, but he ain't phoned me"

The guy in deep <deleted> is a Scot....

No,not mentioned before,bad story told badly  lol  still it did get a couple of laughs

Now I wonder just why you post garbage,I have pointed to the source of where you will find the DWP benefits fraud page,if you dispute anything,go and educate yourself,go on do it.

Now I realise jealousy has reared its ugly head here,but cannot be helped,go and educate yourself,go on do it

Please you have banged on this non-existing drum for years,go on go look,you will look foolish,but at least you will at last find the actuality of it all

Edited by izod10
  • Haha 1
On 4/18/2019 at 4:18 AM, transam said:

But I know of three where stuff did happen, no doubt cases maybe different, like my chum did not have to pay the 1000 quid fine, just the over payments......

Here we are in a pensions thread,and previous page you stated you knew of three individuals prosecuted for supposedly pension benefit fraud,yes, Now you state it was not pension fraud but something "different" . Could that something be incapacity/disability/housing benefit fraud?, You did admit previously when questioned,a brain injury was involved,now not to put too finer point on this,it has nothing to do with Old Age Pension,am I right,or am I right?

So nobody was fined £1000 either,please digging deeper gives me the chills..  I know a little birdy that takes screen shots  lol lol

3 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Here we are in a pensions thread,and previous page you stated you knew of three individuals prosecuted for supposedly pension benefit fraud,yes, Now you state it was not pension fraud but something "different" . Could that something be incapacity/disability/housing benefit fraud?, You did admit previously when questioned,a brain injury was involved,now not to put too finer point on this,it has nothing to do with Old Age Pension,am I right,or am I right?

So nobody was fined £1000 either,please digging deeper gives me the chills..  I know a little birdy that takes screen shots  lol lol

It was Pension fraud....The guy who got let off the fine was because his SISTER did all his paperwork in the UK, as he was actually brain damaged and she knew nothing about locked pensions...

Is that clear now.....?

Take your time now, you can go off digging again, plenty of time..

Oh, what was your other user name...?  ????

• Haha 1
On 4/16/2019 at 6:23 AM, transam said:

I think a phone call to pensions service would be a good idea...I did a while back and they were very helpful....

yeah I bet they were. Now my understanding there is an individual operating here calling them morning noon and night,would you know of anyone  ?  lol  lol

3 minutes ago, izod10 said:

yeah I bet they were. Now my understanding there is an individual operating here calling them morning noon and night,would you know of anyone  ?  lol  lol

No I don't, but as you are an old hand am sure you are going to tell us, eh...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, transam said:

It was Pension fraud....The guy who got let off the fine was because his SISTER did all his paperwork in the UK, as he was actually brain damaged and she knew nothing about locked pensions...

Is that clear now.....?

Take your time now, you can go off digging again, plenty of time..

Oh, what was your other user name...?  ????

Yes ,but the question is still the same    Old Age Pension,you fail to answer,when the going gets too hot you disappear,hoping the trail goes cold. But you never answer a direct answer to a direct question now do you?    Now are you talking of Old Age pension here? because,yes this is the thread,or is it mumbo-jumbo once again

For your own good,(and welfare)  I do sincerely suggest searching in DWP website for fraud   in particular related to OLD Age Pensions,  go on do it,save yourself loads and loads and indeed loads more of anxiety

Just now, izod10 said:

Yes ,but the question is still the same    Old Age Pension,you fail to answer,when the going gets too hot you disappear,hoping the trail goes cold. But you never answer a direct answer to a direct question now do you?    Now are you talking of Old Age pension here? because,yes this is the thread,or is it mumbo-jumbo once again

For your own good,(and welfare)  I do sincerely suggest searching in DWP website for fraud   in particular related to OLD Age Pensions,  go on do it,save yourself loads and loads and indeed loads more of anxiety

What on earth are you going on about......"For my own good".....Bwaaaah..

I think you are getting yourself tied up in knots, confused...Have a lay down, you have been a member here for just ONE DAY and writing gibberish..????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone effected by the frozen pension step back and think,think hard on the amount of money you have lost ,essentially from bad and id say despicably ignorant and totally false advice from posters who basically know nothing of DWP regulations and how they are applied,thousands,more like, tens of thousands of pounds lost and wasted

Anyone in the frozen hole ,yes cold comfort for one,if the OAP is main source of income then blighty called a long time ago

Now I do know what I talk about,obviously here ,at least one person does not,being constantly reminded where the right information is to hand,completely ignored to rant his own brand of rubbish,well some recipients of the OAP have to their very cost,the likers certainly have been taken in,  tough that one

DWP regulations are there,at hand,but as night follows day some igrnoramous will shout it down,all I say is show me just where I can find the font of your totally inaccurate and downright lies come from,go on show me   lol  nowhere is it    No?,not there

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
On 10/28/2019 at 10:04 AM, sandyf said:

Looks like a separate initiative. From what I can see the APPG last met in April with no further meeting scheduled. The meeting lasted an hour with only 4 MPs present.

The uprating regulations are rushed through every year to prevent discussion and amendment.

From the minutes.

"In a written answer to Virendra Sharma the Government argued that the Social Security Uprating Regulations include benefits such as increases in carers allowance to save time ‘due to constraints on parliamentary time due to EU exit’ "

image.png.ec2a993af43bd2aef538c53cdcf711d1.png

• Like 1

Just to point out the next few months sees the wife allowance finishing,now that alone will be a life changing event,it has shielded those from the full effect of having a frozen pension,see who decides to stay after that.

In 10 years the allowance has operated,think the pension stood at £97 a week at start,good amount having £65 per week added,but back to £97 a week once finished.

Yes problem shared is a problem halved,(pension too)

Not rubbing any more salt into any wound,but jealousy I suspect is a prime reason for making absurd and totally false statements as to what will happen if anyone decides to a different decision to the "likers" here

Edited by izod10
  • Sad 2
On 10/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, izod10 said:

Why would they need to go to all that bother ? 

Presumably anyone not declaring they have shipped out of the U.K. will be getting their pensions paid into a U.K. bank account, so it then follows thats then transferred to their Thai account yes ? 

So given HMRC now have full access to swoop into your UK account and can spot the blindingly obvious why all the subterfuge ? 

Serious question ...

12 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

Why would they need to go to all that bother ? 

Presumably anyone not declaring they have shipped out of the U.K. will be getting their pensions paid into a U.K. bank account, so it then follows thats then transferred to their Thai account yes ? 

So given HMRC now have full access to swoop into your UK account and can spot the blindingly obvious why all the subterfuge ? 

Serious question ...

Answered seriously, they are not,not bothered one bit,question is though why anybody puts themselves into what will become a poverty situation. Its the total garbage the jealousy pact pump out to put frighteners on..all into the pit,I'm in it and so should you brigade

Money does not come direct,goes through third parties,but then who the hell cares? no one

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Can I ask another question (there only appears to be the one thread for U.K. pensions?) 

I am not of retirement age but as soon as 55 hits will be doing just that. 

I was talking to my financial advisor about taking around £30k a year from my SIPP (personal pension) - this would be taxed at source in the U.K. UNLESS (living in Thailand) you ask the HMRC for a ‘nil tax coding’ in which case the 30k is paid gross into my U.K. account. 

The onus is on me to then inform the thai govt I am bringing this money in and they tax it (UK and Thailand having dual tax treaties)

So my question(s) are how much is that tax here ?  does anyone else do that ? Does anyone else just not tell them (I do know HMRC oddly do not pass that info on) 

1 hour ago, Bruntoid said:

Can I ask another question (there only appears to be the one thread for U.K. pensions?) 

I am not of retirement age but as soon as 55 hits will be doing just that. 

I was talking to my financial advisor about taking around £30k a year from my SIPP (personal pension) - this would be taxed at source in the U.K. UNLESS (living in Thailand) you ask the HMRC for a ‘nil tax coding’ in which case the 30k is paid gross into my U.K. account. 

The onus is on me to then inform the thai govt I am bringing this money in and they tax it (UK and Thailand having dual tax treaties)

So my question(s) are how much is that tax here ?  does anyone else do that ? Does anyone else just not tell them (I do know HMRC oddly do not pass that info on) 

The UK Thailand DTT does not cover pensions with the exception of government.

Do you know under which article of the DTT a claim to HMRC  of no UK taxation will be made.

Will the HMRC treat the income as pension or some other criteria.

10 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

The UK Thailand DTT does not cover pensions with the exception of government.

Do you know under which article of the DTT a claim to HMRC  of no UK taxation will be made.

Will the HMRC treat the income as pension or some other criteria.

Thanks for your reply - not sure of the answers but I will refer them back to my FA and see what they say

The first paragraph is extremely interesting - so are you saying ALL UK pensions are taxed at source in the UK if you declare you are living in Thailand ? (Unless you have a civil service pension if that’s what you mean by ‘government’ ?) 

If you are saying the above I would alter my strategy and take just 12k from the SIPP so stay under the tax threshold and take the other 18k from other non taxable sources (ISA’s, savings etc) - result no tax! 

Your second - have no idea which article - but I assumed (very happy to be corrected) that if you leave the U.K. and are a non resident via the required criteria then a nil tax band would follow ? My FA stated you merely have to apply to the HMRC, provide evidence you are a non resident and it’s granted. Do you have experience of this ? Admittedly my FA won’t have a lot of experience in this field but he discussed it with a pensions expert before replying to me. No reason though why they both may not be wrong. 

Third paragraph - I believe they would treat it as pension, how else could it be viewed if paid directly from a SIPP ? 

Thanks in advance for any clarification 

2 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Thanks for your reply - not sure of the answers but I will refer them back to my FA and see what they say

The first paragraph is extremely interesting - so are you saying ALL UK pensions are taxed at source in the UK if you declare you are living in Thailand ? (Unless you have a civil service pension if that’s what you mean by ‘government’ ?) 

If you are saying the above I would alter my strategy and take just 12k from the SIPP so stay under the tax threshold and take the other 18k from other non taxable sources (ISA’s, savings etc) - result no tax! 

Your second - have no idea which article - but I assumed (very happy to be corrected) that if you leave the U.K. and are a non resident via the required criteria then a nil tax band would follow ? My FA stated you merely have to apply to the HMRC, provide evidence you are a non resident and it’s granted. Do you have experience of this ? Admittedly my FA won’t have a lot of experience in this field but he discussed it with a pensions expert before replying to me. No reason though why they both may not be wrong. 

Third paragraph - I believe they would treat it as pension, how else could it be viewed if paid directly from a SIPP ? 

With regards to DTT the UK does not operate a universal position on pensions.

The HMRC manual states the general position is pensions are taxed in resident state. However it is dependent upon the individual DTT in force.

Some DTT allow for resident state to tax pensions other DTT do not.

12 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

I would have thought there are other people in a similiar situation as yourself with regards pension.

It would be usefull to hear if anybody as succesfully applied to the HMRC to be taxed in Thailand.

Edited by cleopatra2