Forum upgrade in progress! ×

The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You just keep ignoring facts don't you, but prefer to stick with the rumours, the unproven, etc. 

All clubs are subject to FFP.

UEFA have been 'troubling' us for about a decade on FFP investigations - they penalised us in 2014 and imposed sanctions, and last year they penalised us but failed to substantiate charges against us or their own rules time-barred some charges. Why would they stop? 

We've proven repeatedly that we don't pay whatever we like or whatever someone asks for if we think its too much, so loads of times we have backed out of chasing a player (ManU then usually follow up and buy them - Sanchez, Fred, Maguire).

That's such an ignorant post Champers.

It is my personal opinion. Tell me what sanctions PSG incurred for buying Neymar and Mbappe for far more than Haaland or Kane would cost. Chelsea didn't have sanctions imposed for spending £250 mill last summer.

If City players are used as part exchange in any deal, nett cost would likely keep City in compliance with FFP rules anyway. 

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

50 minutes ago, champers said:

It is my personal opinion. Tell me what sanctions PSG incurred for buying Neymar and Mbappe for far more than Haaland or Kane would cost. Chelsea didn't have sanctions imposed for spending £250 mill last summer.

If City players are used as part exchange in any deal, nett cost would likely keep City in compliance with FFP rules anyway. 

It's brilliant isn't it.... They are making an argument against buying the world's best players... But we're the crazy ones!!

1 hour ago, champers said:

Your gripe seems to be with UEFA, and not City. 

Just so we're clear, the International Council of Arbitration for Sport, cleared City of ALL charges brought by UEFA as either (1) UEFA failed to prove or (2) the charges were timebarred under UEFA's own rules, but CAS did 'slap our legs' by imposing a fine for City's lack of cooperation (City didn't trust UEFA's judicial process so didn't fully co-operate in order to 'steer' the case in to arbitration to get an unbiased hearing by non-UEFA officials).

51 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

It's brilliant isn't it.... They are making an argument against buying the world's best players... But we're the crazy ones!!

Another correction Ricky boy. I don't believe I've argued for or against buying Kane or Haaland.

I believe that MrBj has made the point that he would prefer City don't pursue them if the fee is ridiculously high. Sounds like the smart sense our owners have been using.

23 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Your gripe seems to be with UEFA, and not City. 

Just so we're clear, the International Council of Arbitration for Sport, cleared City of ALL charges brought by UEFA as either (1) UEFA failed to prove or (2) the charges were timebarred under UEFA's own rules, but CAS did 'slap our legs' by imposing a fine for City's lack of cooperation (City didn't trust UEFA's judicial process so didn't fully co-operate in order to 'steer' the case in to arbitration to get an unbiased hearing by non-UEFA officials).

I am not griping about UEFA, just saying it like I see it. They don't enforce their own rules and cannot afford to try and challenge those clubs with the deepest pockets. I don't agree with FFP, never have, whether it is in domestic or European competitions. Owners should be free to spend their money as they wish, subject to the laws of the land in the countries they operate in and any league laws the clubs are signed up to.

19 minutes ago, champers said:

I am not griping about UEFA, just saying it like I see it. They don't enforce their own rules and cannot afford to try and challenge those clubs with the deepest pockets. I don't agree with FFP, never have, whether it is in domestic or European competitions. Owners should be free to spend their money as they wish, subject to the laws of the land in the countries they operate in and any league laws the clubs are signed up to.

Well they certainly try to enforce their rules; youve already mentioned cases against City, Chelsea and City. But they don't see to be fully aware of their own rules as the CAS judgements in favour of PSG and City proved. 

I also don't agree with FFP. If an owner wants to invest his money let him. Penalise clubs running up massive debt, like Real Barca ManU...yeah right, you can see now why they leave those clubs alone. I'd like to think that UEFA would have a serious rethink of its policy after the BIG CLUBS (City is a big club), who have been wagging Uefa tail for years instigated the mutiny to sink UEFAs boat, and will revise it's FFP to go after those who run up clubs debt while taking profit for themselves (Glazers for one).

Seems to me that Europeans have no problems with yanks coming buying up clubs but have a huge (racist) problem with Arabs buying clubs, hence the constant snipes at PSG and City. Chelsea have just won the CL - fair play to them - and the media is wetting their pants, had City (or PSG) won it then all you would be reading would be about the club's/Owner's finances (even though Roman is mega rich) not about the players, manager, tactics, etc. Next time there's a City article in the Guardian Telegraph Times Independent just have check if there's not a snidey reference to finance somewhere - bet there will be.

4 hours ago, champers said:

IOwners should be free to spend their money as they wish, subject to the laws of the land in the countries they operate in and any league laws the clubs are signed up to.

On that we agree. Funny how it was exactly like that before FFP and the clubs at the top table loved being in dominance. Now there is new money to challenge their status, the whining gits cry foul.

How Barca get away with adhering to FFP whilst almost bankrupt, failing to pay Transfer fee deadlines and cutting contractual salaries is beyond me. Well actually, it isn't.  It's all corrupt

5 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Who says they are the world's best players? Have either of them won anything of note? Haaland was rubbish against us and Kate is knocking on a tad. They are both great footballers but are they really worth double of anyone else out there?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Who says they are the world's best players? Have either of them won anything of note? Haaland was rubbish against us and Kate is knocking on a tad. They are both great footballers but are they really worth double of anyone else out there?

I think Lewandowski, Kane and Haaland look clearly a cut above other strikers in the world at the moment. With Lewandowski probably a level up from the other 2. I think pundits agree with me too.

Strikers typically cost more money than other positions. Everyone has the odd bad game but Haaland looks an amazing talent. 

There's something that doesn't quite wash about fans of a club with such deep pockets suddenly being coy to break transfer records... All those years of fans telling you you bought success may be influencing this little stand maybe? You are what you are. Embrace it. 

One of the top bods at City has come out and said they are going to spend big in the summer but it will be quality over quantity. Two major signings expected, one centre forward and .....? Jack Grealish?

One of the top bods at City has come out and said they are going to spend big in the summer but it will be quality over quantity. Two major signings expected, one centre forward and .....? Jack Grealish?

Grealish should be their top target. He is a great fit for their style of football and a class act imo

Haaland next. 

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Grealish should be their top target. He is a great fit for their style of football and a class act imo

Haaland next. 

Sergio Aguero has just left the club yet your priority is a position where they potentially have Sterling, Foden, Bernado Silva and Jesus already.

Excellent Coach Kadilo 

Edited by RickG16

7 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Sergio Aguero has just left the club yet your priority is a position where they potentially have Sterling, Foden, Bernado Silva and Jesus already.

Not if they flog Sterling and Jesus to get Kane. K & G would definitely be an upgrade.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wilai said:

Not if they flog Sterling and Jesus to get Kane. K & G would definitely be an upgrade.

Absolutely. Doesn't really seem in the realms of reality, however, and I don't think Kadilo was banking on that scenario when he said Grealish was top priority. 

Sterling is an interesting one... Looks like there could be a chance of Foden taking his club and national team spot, but doesn't feel like he's done a lot wrong. 

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Sterling is an interesting one... Looks like there could be a chance of Foden taking his club and national team spot, but doesn't feel like he's done a lot wrong

???????????? You don't watch us much do you or you'd know Sterling has been bobbins for months. Pep has been playing him in the belief that game time will bring his form back. 2nd choice right side due to Mahrez and 2nd choice left side due to Foden. I honestly believe that if they get a good opportunity to move him on they would. Not the player he was 2 seasons ago. Why? No idea.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

???????????? You don't watch us much do you or you'd know Sterling has been bobbins for months. Pep has been playing him in the belief that game time will bring his form back. 2nd choice right side due to Mahrez and 2nd choice left side due to Foden. I honestly believe that if they get a good opportunity to move him on they would. Not the player he was 2 seasons ago. Why? No idea.

Assuming you are right has he not earned himself a pass for an average half season, considering what he's contributed in recent years? I seem to remember Ryan Giggs having plenty of ups and downs.... Not suggesting he should start but do you want to flog him?

11 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Assuming you are right has he not earned himself a pass for an average half season, considering what he's contributed in recent years? I seem to remember Ryan Giggs having plenty of ups and downs.... Not suggesting he should start but do you want to flog him?

I am right, and Sterling has used his pass. He now needs to find his form or he'll be sat on the bench or offski. Reality.

17 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

You don't have much trust in Pep. He works with the players day in and day out. Sterling is only 26; there is plenty left in the tank. By the way, he was just one of many v Chelsea who was unable to get past his man. He has been made the scapegoat for a collective failure.

• Like 1

You don't have much trust in Pep. He works with the players day in and day out. Sterling is only 26; there is plenty left in the tank. By the way, he was just one of many v Chelsea who was unable to get past his man. He has been made the scapegoat for a collective failure.

No, you've misunderstood. I have complete faith in Pep, i think he's an amazing manager or coach and we are so lucky to have him. But there are times, and its usually in big games, where he changes his team / tactics / formation to accommodate the challenge of the other team and it proves to be our undoing. Lyon and Chelsea spring instantly to mind. Lyon - play 3 at the back which we rarely play. Chelsea - for the first time in the season doesn't play CDM Fernandinho (in great form at the end of the season) or Rodri, puts in out-of-form Sterling wide left, moves Foden from wide left were he's been brilliant to an ineffective inside role, ceases with the IX and the false 9 that has worked so well AND YOU SAW THE RESULTS.

As Pep says, when he gets it wrong its his fault, when he gets it right (most the time) people (outside of City) don't say it was because of him, which is a fair statement.

Sterling got past James with his push and rush, as he's faster, but no left foot - which is why he's not effective on the left except for cutting in and shooting with his right but everyone knows that he's going to do that now. 

We failed vs Chelsea for the following reasons, AND there was not one scapegoat (BUT CITY FANS ARE VERY UNHAPPY WITH THAT PEP XI):

(i) Pep selected a team that changed a winning team / formulae. I'll bet when Tuchel saw our team / formation, he was very surprised but soo sooooo happy about it. Only when Fernandinho came on, did we look like City,

(ii) not one player played particularly well (because of the changed team / formation we'll never know),

(iii) to win anything you need that bit of luck and i don't think we got that (we got it against Dortmund, Bellingham's disallowed goal - some on here says it equals itself out over a season, swings and roundabouts).

Just watched Chairman Khaldoon's end of season video (Part 1).

I always finish watching his interviews thinking he's an inspirational man; i get fired up watching him. I can imagine going in a room to see him to resign, and coming out having signed an extension ????.

I can't imagine the fans of many clubs thinking as highly as we do about ours.

Sheikh Mansour, Khaldoon, the management team, Pep, etc,...golden times.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

City vs Leicester, Community Shield at 5pm UK time on August 7 (on ITV in UK).

A little over 2 months away and we have a Euros to fit in. The players are going to be knackered

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

A little over 2 months away and we have a Euros to fit in. The players are going to be knackered

It's City v Leicester, Utd aren't playing. You don't get in the Charity Shield unless you win something. Your lot will be abroad somewhere flogging the brand.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, champers said:

It's City v Leicester, Utd aren't playing. You don't get in the Charity Shield unless you win something. Your lot will be abroad somewhere flogging the brand.

Give me flogging the brand any day! More meaningful than the Charity Shield and gives us the chance to play in front of our massive global fan base! 

21 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Give me flogging the brand any day! More meaningful than the Charity Shield and gives us the chance to play in front of our massive global fan base! 

Given the current situation, I doubt whether there'll be any money spinning tours to the Far East or USA this summer! 

7 minutes ago, wilai said:

Given the current situation, I doubt whether there'll be any money spinning tours to the Far East or USA this summer! 

I mean honestly who cares. It's the cricket season. Any talk of the community shield or any pre-season tours is depressing.