• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

10 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Well done to Liam Delap who has won PL2 Player of the Season

And Ruben Dias has been named the Premier League Player of the Season, while Pep Guardiola has won the award for Manager of the Season

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

And now Phil Foden as Young Player of the Season.

Pretty impressive season for the lads

To me Cancelo has gone underappreciated. In Pep's system he looks a scary player. Almost hard to believe he is a defender sometimes. 

But as I say, all about the system. The way Southgate plays I think England night need a good defensive right back, yet the best defensive right back isn't in the squad IMO

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

To me Cancelo has gone underappreciated. In Pep's system he looks a scary player. Almost hard to believe he is a defender sometimes. 

But as I say, all about the system. The way Southgate plays I think England night need a good defensive right back, yet the best defensive right back isn't in the squad IMO

Appreciated by his peers as he was in the PFA PL Team of the Year. 

He had a great period and then went away on the international break (was it in April?) and his form dropped on his return and he was back to being Walker or Zinchenko stand in. 

A decent player but sometimes he tries too much. Got to stop watching the KdB vids.

If I remember Southgate's squad, he's got 4 RBs, 2 LBs and Walker, injured Maguire and is it Mings, a few midfielders and a lot of forwards. Some imbalances. 

Edited by Bredbury Blue

11 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Appreciated by his peers as he was in the PFA PL Team of the Year. 

He had a great period and then went away on the international break (was it in April?) and his form dropped on his return and he was back to being Walker or Zinchenko stand in. 

A decent player but sometimes he tries too much. Got to stop watching the KdB vids.

If I remember Southgate's squad, he's got 4 RBs, 2 LBs and Walker, injured Maguire and is it Mings, a few midfielders and a lot of forwards. Some imbalances. 

TAA's replacement will be named after Romania game today. I hope he actually picks West Ham's Lingaard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, champers said:

TAA's replacement will be named after Romania game today. I hope he actually picks West Ham's Lingaard.

No such player on West Ham`s books.....there is a Jess Lingard at Man Utd though.

Kevin de Bruyne has won the Professional Footballers' Association men's Players' Player of the Year award for the second consecutive season. De Bruyne, 29, is the second player to retain the men's award, after Cristiano Ronaldo did so at Manchester United.

City team-mate Phil Foden won the PFA Young Player of the Year award.

Steange. KdB wouldn't even get my vote for City's player of the season (Father Ruben).

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

After Wilai correcting the poor BBC's reporting, thought I'd have a quick look at the history. Brings back some memories eh 

Professional Footballers' Association men's Players' Player of the Year

Year   Player Club Also won  
1973–74 England Norman Hunter Leeds United    
1974–75 England Colin Todd Derby County    
1975–76 Northern Ireland Pat Jennings Tottenham Hotspur    
1976–77 Scotland Andy Gray Aston Villa YPY  
1977–78 England Peter Shilton Nottingham Forest    
1978–79 Republic of Ireland Liam Brady Arsenal    
1979–80 England Terry McDermott Liverpool FWA  
1980–81 Scotland John Wark Ipswich Town    
1981–82 England Kevin Keegan Southampton    
1982–83 Scotland Kenny Dalglish Liverpool FWA  
1983–84 Wales Ian Rush Liverpool FWA  
1984–85 England Peter Reid Everton    
1985–86 England Gary Lineker Everton FWA  
1986–87 England Clive Allen Tottenham Hotspur FWA  
1987–88 England John Barnes Liverpool FWA  
1988–89 Wales Mark Hughes Manchester United    
1989–90 England David Platt Aston Villa    
1990–91 Wales Mark Hughes (2) Manchester United    
1991–92 England Gary Pallister Manchester United    
1992–93 Republic of Ireland Paul McGrath Aston Villa    
1993–94 France Eric Cantona Manchester United    
1994–95 England Alan Shearer Blackburn Rovers PPS  
1995–96 England Les Ferdinand Newcastle United    
1996–97 England Alan Shearer (2) Newcastle United    
1997–98 Netherlands Dennis Bergkamp Arsenal FWA  
1998–99 France David Ginola Tottenham Hotspur FWA  
1999–2000 Republic of Ireland Roy Keane Manchester United FWA  
2000–01 England Teddy Sheringham Manchester United FWA  
2001–02 Netherlands Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United FPY  
2002–03 France Thierry Henry Arsenal FWA, FPY  
2003–04 France Thierry Henry (2) Arsenal FWA, FPY, PPS  
2004–05 England John Terry Chelsea    
2005–06 England Steven Gerrard Liverpool    
2006–07 Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United FWA, FPY, YPY, PPS  
2007–08 Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo (2) Manchester United FWA, FPY, PPS  
2008–09 Wales Ryan Giggs Manchester United    
2009–10 England Wayne Rooney Manchester United FWA, FPY, PPS  
2010–11 Wales Gareth Bale Tottenham Hotspur    
2011–12 Netherlands Robin van Persie Arsenal FWA, FPY  
2012–13 Wales Gareth Bale (2) Tottenham Hotspur FWA, YPY, PPS  
2013–14 Uruguay Luis Suárez Liverpool FWA, FPY, PPS, FSF  
2014–15 Belgium Eden Hazard Chelsea FWA, PPS  
2015–16 Algeria Riyad Mahrez Leicester City FPY  
2016–17 France N'Golo Kanté Chelsea FWA, PPS  
2017–18 Egypt Mohamed Salah Liverpool FWA, FPY, PPS, FSF  
2018–19 Netherlands Virgil van Dijk Liverpool PPS, FSF  
2019–20 Belgium Kevin De Bruyne Manchester City PPS  
2020–21 Belgium Kevin De Bruyne (2) Manchester City

Amazing for Hughes to win it twice at a time when United were far from their best

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

TalkSport are really pushing the Grealish to City rumour. 100m they reckon

Tailor made. They should go balls out to get him. 
Forgot wasting money on Kane. He’s on a downward spiral. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

TalkSport are really pushing the Grealish to City rumour. 100m they reckon

Class player, no doubt. I hate the diving and rolling about which wins plenty of free kicks and pens though. His behaviour off field is a concern and you wonder how it impacts on younger members of the squad. I would pass on him, all things considered. Go all out for Haaland and don't sell Sterling.

1 minute ago, champers said:

Class player, no doubt. I hate the diving and rolling about which wins plenty of free kicks and pens though. His behaviour off field is a concern and you wonder how it impacts on younger members of the squad. I would pass on him, all things considered. Go all out for Haaland and don't sell Sterling.

Not sure about the diving antics, his style is to draw players in and boy does he get kicked a lot. He really needs shin protection but won't put them on. I think Southagate also had the same reservations about his off field antics which is why he was getting overlooked in the england squad. I haven't seen anything bad about him lately. Maybe he's grown up.

I would sooner wait for Haaland to be cheaper next year and if we miss out, sobeit. He's good but not that good for the touted asking price.

As for Sterling. I'm always torn on him. He tries and has been really good but last season he let us down too much. Particularly on poor finishing. He either needs to sharpen up or ship out.

38 minutes ago, champers said:

Which off field stuff has he actually done apart from driving his car somewhere <deleted> and in his dressing gown?

59 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Which off field stuff has he actually done apart from driving his car somewhere <deleted> and in his dressing gown?

Pleaded guilty to 2 careless driving offences last year in March and October. Got a 9 month driving ban and fines of £84K. 

Some laughing gas incidents and drunken behaviour earlier, in his youth.

Likes a party, it seems.

He has been a known talent for about 5 years but I am not aware of anyone actually putting a bid in for him. I reckon his agent is hyping him up for a transfer whilst his stock is high.

Edited by champers

3 hours ago, champers said:

I reckon his agent is hyping him up for a transfer whilst his stock is high.

Have you seen our transfer/recruitment process? Believe me, our process doesn't fall for a an agent "hyping" up a player. He fits our strategy both financially and personality or he doesn't. I'll try and dig up an article on it. Very interesting.

16 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Have you seen our transfer/recruitment process? Believe me, our process doesn't fall for a an agent "hyping" up a player. He fits our strategy both financially and personality or he doesn't. I'll try and dig up an article on it. Very interesting.

I am not suggesting that City would be taken in by an agent's hype. An agent wants to promote a bidding war to inflate the price or get a better deal for his player. I believe Villa have offerred Grealish an improved a new deal even though he signed a 5 year contract only last September.

Edited by champers

10 minutes ago, champers said:

I am not suggesting that City would be taken in by an agent's hype. An agent wants to promote a bidding war to inflate the price or get a better deal for his player. I believe Villa have offerred Grealish an improved a new deal even though he signed a 5 year contract only last September.

City have let lots of players go due to not fitting in with the price, policy, budget etc etc. People think we just slosh money around but this article shows that we are actually the opposite. Worth a read.

From scouting to unveiling - the full story of a Man City transfer

Manchester City have become one of the big hitters in the global football transfer market this is how a transfer happens.

And with big money being passed around during the two transfer windows every year, the name of football director Txiki Begiristain has become almost as well-known to fans as those of Pep Guardiola and his players.

But how does a City transfer work? Who does what? And how do they go about trying to make sure that Sheikh Mansour’s money is being well-spent?

We took a look at the anatomy of a Manchester City transfer:

City’s strategic planning is second to none, and when combined with their big budget and excellent track record in the market, that has gone a long way towards making them the big English football success story of the last decade.

That planning often stretches to four years into the future, but the actual identifying of a target and the planning for the following two transfer windows begins up to a year in advance.

Full story:- From scouting to unveiling - the full story of a Man City transfer - Manchester Evening News

14 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Not sure about the diving antics, his style is to draw players in and boy does he get kicked a lot. He really needs shin protection but won't put them on.

He does wear shin pads but they are as small as he can get away with. He's a fantastic player and shields the ball brilliantly. Dunno what annoys me the most...his propensity to fall over as soon as he feels a touch from behind, or the stupidity of defenders knowing what he will do and then clumsily bumping into him giving the opportunity to win the foul.

• Haha 1

It's hard to believe City will pick up both Kane and Grealish for 100 mil + 

But I have to say I like the way they are going about their work in the transfer market, if this is true. Why not be bullish? I think it beats United's approach in recent years of tip toeing around and leaving things until the last minute. 

Doesn't look like Pep is afraid of unsettling the squad with these moves and why would he be. In many ways he has built an uncomfortable team environment at City, in a good way. You perform or you are out of the team. And there are plenty of players in the pipeline from the transfer market. This is how you consolidate a title winning squad, unlike the scousers last season. 

42 minutes ago, wilai said:

He does wear shin pads but they are as small as he can get away with. He's a fantastic player and shields the ball brilliantly. Dunno what annoys me the most...his propensity to fall over as soon as he feels a touch from behind, or the stupidity of defenders knowing what he will do and then clumsily bumping into him giving the opportunity to win the foul.

Fair play to him though, he is actually taking the contact rather than diving. So he is a tough lad to invite fouls like Ronaldo in his early days.

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

This is how you consolidate a title winning squad, unlike the scousers last season. 

Had we had 200m in spare cash and could afford 600k pw in wages, we might have considered it....until that is the case we will just have to punch above our weight.