The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Congrats Southampton, they deserved it. Some really poor performances there and some of those players will struggle to get another start. Much better performance defensively in the second half but up front didn't do enough to get back into the game.

Need to up our game by several notches to get a result at the weekend

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Congrats Southampton, they deserved it. Some really poor performances there and some of those players will struggle to get another start. Much better performance defensively in the second half but up front didn't do enough to get back into the game.

Need to up our game by several notches to get a result at the weekend

That first half was the worst City I've seen in a long time. Credit Soton as well.

• Like 1

Credit to Soton.  This year's Man City defense has regressed from the past few years. Ederson and Rodri are playing well, but the rest are either not regularly available or not good enough.  Defensively City will get found out this year imo.

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

That first half was the worst City I've seen in a long time. Credit Soton as well.

I stayed up & watched the whole match - City have "Ticky Tacky" football in abundance & i admit sometimes they are a joy to watch for the neutral football fan, but last night, Southampton wanted it more than you - They showed more fight, spirit & determination - Coupled with a couple of absolute beauties - If United play like Southampton did, with the same tenacity & mentality, we could tear you a new as s whole on Saturday.

Its a Derby & anything can happen, but i think it's very clear for everyone to see - UNITED ARE BACK ????

• Like 1

Pep Guardiola says he had a “feeling” Manchester City would crash out of the Carabao Cup following his team’s 2-0 loss to Premier League strugglers Southampton.

Saints stunned the eight-time winners with first-half goals from Sekou Mara and Moussa Djenepo.

City were unable to prevent elimination even with Erling Haaland and Kevin De Bruyne coming off the bench in the second period.

“I had the feeling today it doesn’t matter what line-up I am selecting, we are performing this way. Don’t ask me why. This is my experience,” the football manager said.

47 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Its a Derby & anything can happen, but i think it's very clear for everyone to see - UNITED ARE BACK ????

Footbal's a strange game at times.

Fred couldn't make a decent tackle or pass the ball straight a few weeks back. Since Ronaldo has left he is tearing the place up, and actually breaking sweat.

No-one wants to play United at the present time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swerve said:

Credit to Soton.  This year's Man City defense has regressed from the past few years. Ederson and Rodri are playing well, but the rest are either not regularly available or not good enough.  Defensively City will get found out this year imo.

Cancelo hasn't looked like himself post WC. Dias hasn't played a minute post WC. Phillips is clearly not up to it replacing Rodri. The rest of the lads look about the same to me, though they pretty much all stunk against Soton. The next few weeks should be an indication as to whether the squad is ready to fight for the title or not.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 10:31 PM, jellydog said:

Despite having the bulk of possession City are struggling to create decent chances. Add in that the big fella is not getting many touches. Pep has some work to do.

I confess that I no longer understand the off-side law

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, jellydog said:

Despite having the bulk of possession City are struggling to create decent chances. Add in that the big fella is not getting many touches. Pep has some work to do.

More possession but only one shot on target. Foden rated a 4/10 when hooked. Haaland was anonymous, had no supply. ETH had his players effectively closing down every time City had the ball.

Every MU player worked his socks off including their 2 second choice full backs who excelled.

Pep has apparently passed the 500 game in management. Been noting some strange comments he made of late about his future and for me looks like a manager that really needs a break from football.

Would not surprise me to se him take a walk at the end of the season no matter he has success or failure.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 10:24 AM, mrbojangles said:

I confess that I no longer understand the off-side law

It appears only the ref didn't understand it. Haven't managed to hear a single ex-player, ex-ref or pundit who thinks Rashford WASN'T interfering with play and who thinks that goal should have stood

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

United fans getting prematurely giddy. Got sent this from a United mate just before injury time ????

received_1787926514916391.jpeg

I'm not getting giddy. And you won't find me rubbing anything in your face if we do eventually go above you. Because it's nothing to celebrate. It's the natural order.

3 hours ago, jellydog said:

Great comeback 3 points that was. Grealish finally starting to fit in. Mahrez was MOTM for me, and the kid Rico Lewis was tremendous. What a valuable addition he is going to be.

I was out on a birthday and so missed my alarm. All of a sudden my City group chat was pinging and woke me up. So stayed awake for the 2nd half. Marvellous comeback and totally agree with the above. Pep was a bit scathing in his interview

33 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I was out on a birthday and so missed my alarm. All of a sudden my City group chat was pinging and woke me up. So stayed awake for the 2nd half. Marvellous comeback and totally agree with the above. Pep was a bit scathing in his interview

Looks like Pep is trying to fire up the troops and he's likely on target with some of his concerns. The fact that the players have been so motivated for so long is pretty miraculous. Might take a magician to keep enough fire burning. Maybe Rico can set an example!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Don't you think it's an interesting point of view? You are worse after buying one of the best strikers in the world. 

I disagree. Yes, Erling has to get used to the side but I mainly think (as jelly above) it's a motivational thing. Winning back to back titles isn't a common thing due to that lack of the extra "fire". I also think that WC has had a weird affect. We had more players at the WC than any other PL club.

• Like 1

I'll go on record - We've beaten City, Arsenal, Spuds & the Dippers at home this season already - We are playing some of the best football i have seen for the past 10 years - There is no doubt that United are heading in the right direction & the league title will be coming back to OT in the very near future.

We are the only team that is still left in all 4 competitions - I'll be happy with a top 4 finish & a Trophy in the cabinet for this season ????