The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JaiLai said:

It'll be interesting to see who leaves when they don't make the top 4.

You would think

Pogba

De Gea

Rashford ( maybe )

Sanchez

Young / Matic are both past it now as well to cut the mustard in that league week in week out.

Sanchez is going nowhere....good luck with that lol

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

The poorest display I have seen from a United side in many years.

Trying to look at the big picture here because I think that's where the problems lay.

United have bought badly over the past years and even when they had a chance to sign the likes of Virgil van Dijk, they declined because he was too expensive yet the likes of Sanchez and others were brought into the side.

Although I have seen Matic play some good games, he has been off form for a while now and as for Pogba, well he looks like he would rather be playing for someone else. And the age of the players that Maureen was trying to sign, or who did come into the side was not what I believe United needed.

It appears that Maureen's tenure turned out to be toxic in the end, but that was to be expected as it happened at Chelsea, however it doesn't detract from the fact that he really didn't sign one outstanding player, apart from Pogba who has proven to be a bit of a fizzer.

Now look at the overall scenario after Maureen went – – sure United snapped out of their lethargy and seemed to be doing something under OGS's tutelage, but was that just a rebound effect.

United are one of the most respected and biggest clubs in the world and in my opinion the appointment of OGS to the role of manager was premature and driven mainly by emotion and the joy of some short-term results.

When you look at it, United should have been in the market for one of the best managers in the world, instead they settled for an ex-player who hadn't really made any impact whatsoever as a manager on any side up until he took on the short term role at United – – short-term thinking when they should have been looking at the big picture and at the market in general.

In addition, where other clubs were signing players who have turned out to be stars, United are saddled with players who cannot produce – – the midfield is devoid of playmakers and the front runners do not know how to lose their markers and as for a midfield playmaker, forget it because Pogba hasn't lived up to that and anyway even if he was on form, he has nothing around him to play off.

I wonder how much influence the Glazers or Ed Woodward have had on the signings over the past few years and the money which should have/could have been spent.

There is no getting away from it, but this performance epitomised a disjointed team and IMO a clear out is needed, but it's very difficult to get rid of about eight or 10 players who are surplus to requirements, and to spend the money needed to be able to put a good side together.

Finally what has happened to the Academy/youth players who should be pushing for places? Once United were a side who could bring those youngsters through, but have failed miserably in this regard in the past few years.

From an extremely disappointed United fan who has supported them since 1956, but having said that they are still my side and they will come right given time.

very detailed post and agree with most of what you say - Ole has what he was given for now, if he is the man then it will take 2 seasons to get close to what is expected from this icon team - and a lot of dosh that must be spent well - changes are coming 

There is nothing easy about the EPL from top to bottom - they got there because they are the best that English football has to offer - lets see what the summer brings - some very hard choices are going to be made and that process has already started which might explain the poor performance - some players already know their ticket is up

7 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Sanchez is going nowhere....good luck with that lol

Woodward came out and said HE made a mistake bringing Sanchez in, So there you go it was a Woodward signing all along.

Jose wanted to bring in a quality centre back Woodward says no as the ones we have are better than the ones José wants and he is also responsible for Sanchez, And this man is a chartered accountant <deleted>.

4 hours ago, smedly said:

very detailed post and agree with most of what you say - Ole has what he was given for now, if he is the man then it will take 2 seasons to get close to what is expected from this icon team - and a lot of dosh that must be spent well - changes are coming 

There is nothing easy about the EPL from top to bottom - they got there because they are the best that English football has to offer - lets see what the summer brings - some very hard choices are going to be made and that process has already started which might explain the poor performance - some players already know their ticket is up

Yes smedly, it was a decent post (xylophone's), as is yours.

Jemain Jenus did a hard-hitting piece in the media. I reckon he must have been reading the TVForum Man Utd posts. His main focus was that it was a gutless (my word) performance.

Morinuo said Pogba was 'like a virus'. This guy has to be top of the list to depart. And I don't think anyone will take on Sanchez at 380k a week. The club needs leaders on the pitch. They are searching the world for talent, but 'leaders on the pitch' now that's a different story.

Put the top 6 team's players on the table and make some teams up. Utd would 'maybe' get a player in the 3rd team.

15 hours ago, xylophone said:

The poorest display I have seen from a United side in many years.

Trying to look at the big picture here because I think that's where the problems lay.

United have bought badly over the past years and even when they had a chance to sign the likes of Virgil van Dijk, they declined because he was too expensive yet the likes of Sanchez and others were brought into the side.

Although I have seen Matic play some good games, he has been off form for a while now and as for Pogba, well he looks like he would rather be playing for someone else. And the age of the players that Maureen was trying to sign, or who did come into the side was not what I believe United needed.

It appears that Maureen's tenure turned out to be toxic in the end, but that was to be expected as it happened at Chelsea, however it doesn't detract from the fact that he really didn't sign one outstanding player, apart from Pogba who has proven to be a bit of a fizzer.

Now look at the overall scenario after Maureen went – – sure United snapped out of their lethargy and seemed to be doing something under OGS's tutelage, but was that just a rebound effect.

United are one of the most respected and biggest clubs in the world and in my opinion the appointment of OGS to the role of manager was premature and driven mainly by emotion and the joy of some short-term results.

When you look at it, United should have been in the market for one of the best managers in the world, instead they settled for an ex-player who hadn't really made any impact whatsoever as a manager on any side up until he took on the short term role at United – – short-term thinking when they should have been looking at the big picture and at the market in general.

In addition, where other clubs were signing players who have turned out to be stars, United are saddled with players who cannot produce – – the midfield is devoid of playmakers and the front runners do not know how to lose their markers and as for a midfield playmaker, forget it because Pogba hasn't lived up to that and anyway even if he was on form, he has nothing around him to play off.

I wonder how much influence the Glazers or Ed Woodward have had on the signings over the past few years and the money which should have/could have been spent.

There is no getting away from it, but this performance epitomised a disjointed team and IMO a clear out is needed, but it's very difficult to get rid of about eight or 10 players who are surplus to requirements, and to spend the money needed to be able to put a good side together.

Finally what has happened to the Academy/youth players who should be pushing for places? Once United were a side who could bring those youngsters through, but have failed miserably in this regard in the past few years.

From an extremely disappointed United fan who has supported them since 1956, but having said that they are still my side and they will come right given time.

Totally agree with most you say except criticism of OGS,he's got what was left and the end product of poor signings.Ole as player was pretty ruthless and he's going have to resume that role in the coming months.Pep and Poch were players,experience comes with being given the chance.

No matter who is Manager once the players cross the white line its them that are reponsible not only for the result but the effort. Lost count of the misdirected, simple, passes,losing pretty all 50/50 tackles,lack of tracking back. Martial for one didnt even raise a sweat.Lukau got no service and when he did failed to get control of the ball,he;s simply not good enoughdespite his past succes with Everton.

The United goal difference is also miserable even the other top 4 contenders drop points that alone could kill of top 4.

I said a couple of weeks back its going to be a 2 year project, might after last night be more. Director of Football is a must .

Woodward can concentrate on the only thing he does well, make money from sponsorship.

I also said at leat 2 maybe 3 Academy players should be elevated to the squad sitting on the bench or going out on loan where they might not get many games is pointless.

Of urgent need are a creative midfielder ,a right back ,a CB with authority, another Striker , a right wing and please no one over 30.

All clubs  have scouts scattered through the globe.Do they not see or recognise potential of what they are looking at or does the club ignore them ?

We will know more at the end of this week,if they cant rebound against City & Chelsea the problem grows in magnitude.

1 hour ago, Sparkles said:

Totally agree with most you say except criticism of OGS,he's got what was left and the end product of poor signings.Ole as player was pretty ruthless and he's going have to resume that role in the coming months.Pep and Poch were players,experience comes with being given the chance.

No matter who is Manager once the players cross the white line its them that are reponsible not only for the result but the effort. Lost count of the misdirected, simple, passes,losing pretty all 50/50 tackles,lack of tracking back. Martial for one didnt even raise a sweat.Lukau got no service and when he did failed to get control of the ball,he;s simply not good enoughdespite his past succes with Everton.

The United goal difference is also miserable even the other top 4 contenders drop points that alone could kill of top 4.

I said a couple of weeks back its going to be a 2 year project, might after last night be more. Director of Football is a must .

Woodward can concentrate on the only thing he does well, make money from sponsorship.

I also said at leat 2 maybe 3 Academy players should be elevated to the squad sitting on the bench or going out on loan where they might not get many games is pointless.

Of urgent need are a creative midfielder ,a right back ,a CB with authority, another Striker , a right wing and please no one over 30.

All clubs  have scouts scattered through the globe.Do they not see or recognise potential of what they are looking at or does the club ignore them ?

We will know more at the end of this week,if they cant rebound against City & Chelsea the problem grows in magnitude.

We are definitely on the same page and I agree with just about everything you have said however there is one aspect which I don't believe anyone has mentioned, although you did touch on it when you said, "Lost count of the misdirected, simple, passes,losing pretty all 50/50 tackles,lack of tracking back. Martial for one didnt even raise a sweat. Lukaku got no service and when he did failed to get control of the ball,he;s simply not good enough despite his past success with Everton".

There was no pattern to United's play, no cohesion and seemingly no game-plan and if you want to see exactly what I mean, then you should view this, if you've not already done so: 
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9135854/  because it's about a style of play which is unbelievably simple, yet is just about unbeatable and United have not yet defined a style of play under OGS, indeed it looked as if they had come straight from different planets when they played against Everton.

They gave each other no options, they didn't support, they didn't give and go, they didn't present themselves to receive the ball and even the few times they did, they never received it.

The game-plan, if there was one, was a complete and utter mess and to be perfectly honest, that is the role of the coach and manager, to determine how they're going to play, the style they will adopt and how they will execute it, and the training sessions should reinforce all of this.

I wasn't for OGS getting the job full-time as I thought they should hang on and look for "the best manager in the world" to manage one of the best teams in the world. Having said that he has got the job now and he has to make the best of it but it wouldn't surprise me if United were able to secure a top coach/manager that they would pay him off and let him go.

He has had the opportunity to develop since leaving United but judging by the display the other evening, he doesn't seem to have much of a clue. As an example, Lindelhof plays well alongside Smalling, but looked lost at right full-back, and even when he did get the ball in that position no one gave him any options whatsoever. Then there was Jones, who is always getting injured, and always will do because of the style of his play, so he shouldn't have been picked.

Fred buzzes around, but his not really a playmaker or that constructive, and upfront, Lukaku should have been ordered to stay in a more central position so that he could be found more easily, not that the midfield could have hit a barn door with any of their passes.

So overall a pretty poor and desperate situation and I only hope that City don't knock in a hat full on Wednesday night!

28 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I wasn't for OGS getting the job full-time as I thought they should hang on and look for "the best manager in the world" to manage one of the best teams in the world. Having said that he has got the job now and he has to make the best of it but it wouldn't surprise me if United were able to secure a top coach/manager that they would pay him off and let him go.

Just a couple of points:

Do you think that the Man City manager would move to Utd?

Utd are not one of the best teams in the world; far. far from it. Not even close to being the best in England.

The thing about Utd is that they are genuinely one of the biggest clubs in the world even when they are having a sticky patch.

I agree about OGS. They will pay him off.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Just a couple of points:

Do you think that the Man City manager would move to Utd?

Utd are not one of the best teams in the world; far. far from it. Not even close to being the best in England.

The thing about Utd is that they are genuinely one of the biggest clubs in the world even when they are having a sticky patch.

I agree about OGS. They will pay him off.

I think Brian Kidd is close to retirement but might be available part-time to give ManU a hand.

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Maybe not now, but they have been considered amongst the best in the world at times, but that wasn't really my point, which was that if you are one of the most "respected", followed and potentially amongst the best in the world, then there was no need to appoint a manager without any real qualifications and without any real top-class management experience.

Agree that they will probably look to pay off if they do find somebody, and as to your point regarding Guardiola, no he certainly wouldn't move to United after being at City, but there must be others out there whom I haven't heard of (or you for that matter).

10 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Maybe not now, but they have been considered amongst the best in the world at times, but that wasn't really my point, which was that if you are one of the most "respected", followed and potentially amongst the best in the world, then there was no need to appoint a manager without any real qualifications and without any real top-class management experience.

Agree that they will probably look to pay off if they do find somebody, and as to your point regarding Guardiola, no he certainly wouldn't move to United after being at City, but there must be others out there whom I haven't heard of (or you for that matter).

Mourinho_Hides.png

What I'd like is a bit of consistency in reporting. During the Jose era it was always José's fault. Under Ole it was always the players fault. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

I've said already that I believe we have seen an improvement under Ole, but obviously that is diminishing as it looks like we are limping towards the line. I still have high hopes for Ole, but for the 'mourinho is satan' brigade, perhaps these past few games have changed your opinion. We can only wonder what Jose could have done with another couple of transfer windows.

But on to Wednesday, when I really hope Pogba turns up.

20 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What I'd like is a bit of consistency in reporting. During the Jose era it was always José's fault. Under Ole it was always the players fault. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.

I've said already that I believe we have seen an improvement under Ole, but obviously that is diminishing as it looks like we are limping towards the line. I still have high hopes for Ole, but for the 'mourinho is satan' brigade, perhaps these past few games have changed your opinion. We can only wonder what Jose could have done with another couple of transfer windows.

Thought Jose was taking the piss when he said "Coming second with this team was one of his greatest achievements" sorta makes sense now. 

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

Thought Jose was taking the piss when he said "Coming second with this team was one of his greatest achievements" sorta makes sense now. 

That's the thing.. you can't fault Jose's honesty. Fine have a go at him for being negative, but quite often the truth is negative. He could be a PR nightmare, but like you said, there might have been some truth in those words.

And also let's remember that plenty of players still hold a lot of affection for Jose - more recently including Rooney (who he actually for rid of) and Zlatan etc. It's not like all players hate him. 

7 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

But can't we still think Jose is/was a narcissistic shitbird ? Can't we BBob ?:jap:

11 minutes ago, jellydog said:

But can't we still think Jose is/was a narcissistic shitbird ? Can't we BBob ?:jap:

When you've been the best in the world at something you can be forgiven for having a high opinion of yourself.'

I wish you all the best in Buenos Aires, and if you can make any kind of impact in the world, keep us posted. 

19 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Like it. Hard hitting truthful post.

He knew the team 'punched above its weight' in that season.

Utd, along with Liverpool, Barca, Real M, Ajax, Bayern and a couple of Italians (and Celtic perhaps) are known throughout the football world. Might even put a couple of Londoners in there. But the first two - Utd and Pool - are right up there, and have been for years. So were Villa and Forest a while back though.

A lot of work to be done at Old Traff'. A general clear-out is needed.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

It's all your fault Rick! You'd best change your club to Urmston Meadowside or risk bringing relegation on ManU.

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

It's all your fault Rick! You'd best change your club to Urmston Meadowside or risk bringing relegation on ManU.

When things go wrong I default to being an Alty fan... we might even sneak automatic promotion back up to the National League! Stockport look like they will go up. 

Rick, while pretty much everyone on here savaged Maureen, seemed to be only you and i argued his corner. You simply don't win all he's won, at different clubs, in different countries, unless you are a top manager. Rednev had some very honest words about his sacking, blaming Mourinho for his attitude, some of the players for rebelling and trying to be bigger than the manager, and the management and/or owners for failing to back him for another CB they clearly need and back him against the rebels. It takes two to tango. Maureen will be back on the scene soon. Personally i miss him; somebody has to play the Grinch role.

Ole has stepped in to a very bad situation and im sure his main brief is steady the ship for the next few seasons while the club rebuilds. Alot of what is wrong with the club stems from having one successful  manager in place for so long. The obvious thing is he left - as a championship winner - a poor squad behind him for the next manager and ManU have been trying to sort that out ever since. What's not so obvious  is the management structure once Rednose moved on needs a complete  overhaul  bringing it up to modern standards with people other than one man managing different parts of the day to day management. A director of football is the logical next 

step forwards.

20 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Rick, while pretty much everyone on here savaged Maureen, seemed to be only you and i argued his corner. You simply don't win all he's won, at different clubs, in different countries, unless you are a top manager. Rednev had some very honest words about his sacking, blaming Mourinho for his attitude, some of the players for rebelling and trying to be bigger than the manager, and the management and/or owners for failing to back him for another CB they clearly need and back him against the rebels. It takes two to tango. Maureen will be back on the scene soon. Personally i miss him; somebody has to play the Grinch role.

Ole has stepped in to a very bad situation and im sure his main brief is steady the ship for the next few seasons while the club rebuilds. Alot of what is wrong with the club stems from having one successful  manager in place for so long. The obvious thing is he left - as a championship winner - a poor squad behind him for the next manager and ManU have been trying to sort that out ever since. What's not so obvious  is the management structure once Rednose moved on needs a complete  overhaul  bringing it up to modern standards with people other than one man managing different parts of the day to day management. A director of football is the logical next 

step forwards.

BB, the reason is because the English football media, and consequently the fans, put more emphasis on  characters rather than reporting pragmatically. The want good guys and bad guys, because that's what sells papers.

You said yourself "someone needs to play the grinch role". That's what English football is in the eyes of the media and fans, a pantomine with a role for everyone. In more intelligent football pastures such as Italy and Spain, I think there is far more emphasis on tactics, and this is evident by the types of articles you see in the sports papers there. 

Guys give a bit of credit to City and Liverpool players ,The latter especially who have taken their personal performances to a new level whereas United players havent. I see United players who dont have the right attitude when they enter the pitch.I could see this coming when Everton had beaten Celsea and City ? at home ,they were at it like it was their last game on earth and wanted to give their fans someting to cheer about and get a place for Europe.

Give OGS time. Meanwhile he's got what he was given ,he didnt buy one of these players he's inherited. He does need a Director of football as I said weks ago.Phelan can do that job,Carrick can step up as a his assistant.lets not get lumbered with some one from Europe who doesnt understand English football and the transition of players from a totally a different league.De Pay classic example.

Mourinho and Ince are sniping away at OGS that just diminishes my respect for them even further

I've got a list of players that should go and I bet its close to his. 

Dont underestimate his character and knowledge .For years he spent a lot of time  on the bench watching how SAF handled situations taking it all in same as we did as kids, if we were players, watching our personal heroes and how we could emulate them.

Doing all the courses they come up with or working in the lower leagues doesnt make you a great Manager/Coach. Your personality and drive does. .In order of importance,  man management,personal development ,tactics and making substitutions when its needed and not necesarily at the 70 min mark.

This season might be a right off but it doesnt end there its just a start of a new era

Archived