The Official Manchester United Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Bob now you know how frustrating it is supporting us, We need a huge rebuilding project to get us back to the top.

Some scousers are saying we threw the game no we are just kee.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Shocking to see the huge amount of empty seats before 90 minutes was up. 

TBH I don't think the crowd helped last night. The groans when people miscued passes aren't going to help the team. I know sometimes it is warranted... put please don't let OT become an arena of self loathing like the Emirates. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Watching Roy Keane on Sky is priceless. Says everything the rest are scared to say. 

I think he raised something really interesting, which has been discussed by others recently. The question of body language....

There is no doubt that Pogba's body language does looked languid, relaxed, and at times way too casual... especially compared to a Keane or a Scholes...

But how much can we read into this? Is body language just a natural result of a player's physique, or how they have always moved / ran? Why is it always taller players who are singled out for this.... Lukaku, Berbatov, etc etc... is it just a result of longer strides being slower and therefore looking more casual?

Thoughts? 

• Haha 1

50 goals conceded for the first time since 1979. Maybe Ole should just focus on the defense and make it simple.

Better to play simple football than losing every game. The players are just not up for it. Even the Wolves team, player for player they look much better than United.  

Edited by balo

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Interesting:

goals from Bernardo Silva and Leroy Sané extended United’s run to seven defeats from their last nine games, their worst sequence of results since 1962.

Not that it's any consolation, but at least United played better last night than they did against Everton, which wouldn't be too difficult anyway.

City controlled the game just about from start to finish, and in the second half they controlled it so much that it looked a little embarrassing.

I've said this before and it was very evident last night, if you look at the individual players in the City side versus the individual players in the United side, and there is no comparison, City win hands down every time.

On individual performances, I thought Darmian played pretty well especially as he hasn't been given a run out for some time and Rashford tried like he always does, but gets terribly frustrated at the poor service he gets. Fred tried hard and apart from a few wayward passes, was okay, and Lindlhof was in his best position.

Won't go into too many more, but there is something about Pogba's game which I've been looking at for a while now, and it's not only his body language when he's loping around the place, it's when a pass/move doesn't come off, or a player is not in a position to return the ball he gives, etc and he gets angry with the other players, as if, in his mind, they are not up to his standard and he shouldn't really be playing with them. He thinks he is superior to the other players out there, and I think that looks pretty obvious.

The sooner they get rid of him for a nice lump sum the better.

On the subject of De Ghea, considered one of the best keepers in the world, but after the last couple of games, his cloak of invincibility has fallen away and he now looks human, rather than superhuman, so if someone like Real Madrid were prepared to make an offer, they should accept it and either find another keeper or make more use of Romero, who is also a very good keeper.

Martial and Sanchez when they came on were about as effective as turds in a bucket and Lukaku wasn't much better.

So that leaves a bloody huge rebuilding job to be done, along with a big clear out.

22 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Bale for Pogba swap deal?

It could come to something like that I suppose, although as you know I'm not a fan of Bale now, although I was when he was younger.

As I have also said I think he is injury prone, and he's had his fair share of them, and it's going to be even harder for him coming back into the English game, because he's in a position where he will get clattered a few times.

Some serious scouting is needed to pick up players who are just emerging or who are key players in average teams and who could play better with a setup like United's around them.

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

It could come to something like that I suppose, although as you know I'm not a fan of Bale now, although I was when he was younger.

The best thing that happened to Bale was being ridiculed for adjusting his hair-clips during a game. He played at left back then. Grew up over night.

Harry got him motoring.

In the 2017/18 season United scored 68 goals in the Premiership; so far this season they have scored 63.

In the 2017/18 season they conceded 28 goals in the Premiership.

This season, so far, they have conceded 50.

I think I know where I might start my team rebuilding.

My 2 cents as a City fan. The idea that Bale could be part of an answer for United's troubles is pure madness. A number of the reasons listed by others on this thread. So many United fans still looking for a silver bullet cure all for United's woes. Square one is the only logical choice and to do that they firstly will need to jettison many players who aren't up to snuff. They currently have a squad of semi-talented misfits, aging warriors, and players who it is difficult to assess given the dressing room lunacy.

Woody needs to go and a proper Director installed. Go young with some reliable veterans to help stir the stew.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Woodward needs sacking is the first step forward.

How many years has it been since SAF retired ? The Glazers have done nothing but sit on their gold toilets counting money.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jellydog said:

How many years has it been since SAF retired ? The Glazers have done nothing but sit on their gold toilets counting money.

Exactly...they need a football guy on the point with Woodward to get things on track.

Woody buying Sanchez is classic suit muppetry!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

In the 2017/18 season United scored 68 goals in the Premiership; so far this season they have scored 63.

Be interested to know the goals per game conceded under Mourinho and Ole if any one can be bothered posting. 

BUSBY 

1969 mcguiness ofarrell docherty sexton atkinson

1986 FERGUSON

2013 Moyes giggs VGaal mourinho ogs

NEXT BIG MANAGER WHEN?

(the wilderness years in small font)

Could it be you're in another 25 year drought period between Championships (as 67 to 92)?

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I think he raised something really interesting, which has been discussed by others recently. The question of body language....

There is no doubt that Pogba's body language does looked languid, relaxed, and at times way too casual... especially compared to a Keane or a Scholes...

But how much can we read into this? Is body language just a natural result of a player's physique, or how they have always moved / ran? Why is it always taller players who are singled out for this.... Lukaku, Berbatov, etc etc... is it just a result of longer strides being slower and therefore looking more casual?

Thoughts? 

I take your point but I think Keane was also talking about his body language in the interview he did with Sky after the Everton game. 

“I wouldnt believe a word he says” “there are a lot of bluffers in the side” Darmian hasn’t played for x months says Neville “there a reason for that”

It was endless and spot on which is why he is such a cult hero at the club. 

I cringed when I saw the interview with Pogba saying what they had to do etc and how they disrespected the club etc etc. Does he actually realise the pundits are talking about him? I think his ego is so big that as Keane also said he just plays for himself. Hence the answer to a previous question I asked why he doesn’t show the same leadership skills he does for France? Because In my opinion he thinks is he’s too good for the rest of Man U. He doesn’t see that it’s him that is the big problem there. He can’t get away with that at National level. 

Rashfords interview post match last night had more sincerity and humility in it than anything I’ve heard come out of Pogba gob. He looked genuinely disappointed by the result and the performance because he genuinely cares. 

Its a dilemma. There is no doubting Pogbas talent but as Keane said “ who is there in that side to aspire to? “ Answer pretty much no one. No real leaders, no mentors but bad influences like Pogba. He is not what United is all about. He is not what the young talent should be following. He is lazy. He is the poison Mourinho inferred to. I would out him, no because he’s not talented enough to play for the shirt but because he does not respect the shirt. As Neville said, “I don’t think he wants to be there”

He certainly gives that impression. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RickG16 said:

TBH I don't think the crowd helped last night. The groans when people miscued passes aren't going to help the team. I know sometimes it is warranted... put please don't let OT become an arena of self loathing like the Emirates. 

I didn’t get the feeling that the crowd as a whole were really behind the team. It was strangely subdued and particularly in the second half it turned quickly as you say to groans and impatience. 

It was a bit odd considering the response at Everton but I guess you always get the hardcore supporters that go away and support through thick and thin. 

Ive genuinely not seen OT empty as quick as that. 

13 hours ago, Jip99 said:

There is another part of that equation that needs to be considered, because if the defence are being exposed by lack of midfield cover or other players not picking up the runners, then they are going to be suspect and let in goals.

It's not always just the defence, because the midfields ability to be able to dictate and control play limits the amount of exposure on the defensive positions and also controls the game to be able to put pressure on the opposition.

A midfield general, a midfield playmaker or two, plus a decent striker or two up front and perhaps sort out the mess which is more about the number of defenders on the books than anything else – – Valencia, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Dalot, Jones, Smalling, Lindlhof, Shaw, Young, McTominay, and finding the best partnerships.

Perhaps one good stopper/central defender in there who could control the backline would be a start.

Finally, just to end on the note on which I started, if a defensive setup is exposed to opposition players who are allowed to run and not be picked up, then they will always look suspect.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

There is another part of that equation that needs to be considered, because if the defence are being exposed by lack of midfield cover or other players not picking up the runners, then they are going to be suspect and let in goals.

It's not always just the defence, because the midfields ability to be able to dictate and control play limits the amount of exposure on the defensive positions and also controls the game to be able to put pressure on the opposition.

A midfield general, a midfield playmaker or two, plus a decent striker or two up front and perhaps sort out the mess which is more about the number of defenders on the books than anything else – – Valencia, Bailly, Rojo, Darmian, Dalot, Jones, Smalling, Lindlhof, Shaw, Young, McTominay, and finding the best partnerships.

Perhaps one good stopper/central defender in there who could control the backline would be a start.

Finally, just to end on the note on which I started, if a defensive setup is exposed to opposition players who are allowed to run and not be picked up, then they will always look suspect.

I accept that goals conceded are not necessarily down solely to defenders

• Like 1

ManU management i feel, and I've seen others in the media say it, appointed Ole early to appease the fans. He obviously has to be given time to try to rebuild the squad over  a few seasons. He looks like he's  a united man, won't cause any problems and will toe the line so he could work out. 

ManU were apparently interested in Pochettino. Why would he want to move. It would be a nightmare task for him to try to rebuild ManU when he has Spurs in a very comfortable 3rd-4th position every season. Managerial suicide.

Rafa Benitez has come out this week with a challenge to Ashley to give him the funds and authority to try to challenge or he's off in the summer. There is so much potential at Newcastle / NUFC. I doubt Ashley will do as Benitez requires so he will be looking for a new club. Had ManU kept your powder dry you could have picked Rafa, a fine manager capable of managing a big club like ManU. Rafa's at the wheel...

28 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

ManU management i feel, and I've seen others in the media say it, appointed Ole early to appease the fans. He obviously has to be given time to try to rebuild the squad over  a few seasons. He looks like he's  a united man, won't cause any problems and will toe the line so he could work out. 

ManU were apparently interested in Pochettino. Why would he want to move. It would be a nightmare task for him to try to rebuild ManU when he has Spurs in a very comfortable 3rd-4th position every season. Managerial suicide.

Rafa Benitez has come out this week with a challenge to Ashley to give him the funds and authority to try to challenge or he's off in the summer. There is so much potential at Newcastle / NUFC. I doubt Ashley will do as Benitez requires so he will be looking for a new club. Had ManU kept your powder dry you could have picked Rafa, a fine manager capable of managing a big club like ManU. Rafa's at the wheel...

When Ole took over, if you had offered any United fan the chance to be competing for top 4 come the last 3 games, I think they would have been more than happy. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 9:44 PM, jellydog said:

Last time I checked the Glazers don't play football. Since he retired, Sir Alex probably had more to do with football decisions in his role as a Director than the Glazers.

On 4/25/2019 at 9:52 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

Exactly...they need a football guy on the point with Woodward to get things on track.

Woody buying Sanchez is classic suit muppetry!

It was Jose's idea to buy Alexis and Woodward backed him. At the time, everyone was quite unanimous that it was a good signing. 

Woodward has done very well on the commercial side of things, and that's important. Because we can channel those profits back into the football team. It doesn't stop us hiring a technical director or director of football. The way you are talking, Woodward picks the team and takes training. 

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

When Ole took over, if you had offered any United fan the chance to be competing for top 4 come the last 3 games, I think they would have been more than happy. 

That's a short-term view. You need to be rebuilding and competiting for the title. Be honest, do you think Ole can do that?

You really don't look good enough to make the top 4. It'll the top 2 and Spurs n Chelsea.

Last time I checked the Glazers don't play football. Since he retired, Sir Alex probably had more to do with football decisions in his role as a Director than the Glazers.

Think the rest of us know what Jelly meant.

On the non-playing side, that ground of yours has been left behind by modern stadiums and needs an ovrrhaul.

It was Jose's idea to buy Alexis and Woodward backed him. At the time, everyone was quite unanimous that it was a good signing. 

Woodward has done very well on the commercial side of things, and that's important. Because we can channel those profits back into the football team. It doesn't stop us hiring a technical director or director of football. The way you are talking, Woodward picks the team and takes training. 

So what has gone wrong with Sanchez, such a good player?