Jonathan Fairfield

32 minutes ago, smedly said:

one of the best games of football I've seen for a long time

Yeah, if your not a Spurs or Citeh fan, otherwise it should have

come with a Government Health Warning.

Jeeeez, I'm sure it's taken some toll on many fans watching that 

one! ????

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Today's Guardian reckons the following 10 players out of your squad of 24 (thats 42%) should go:

Young 

Valencia 

Smalling 

Rojo 

Darmian 

Matic 

Herrera 

Mata 

Pereira 

Sánchez.

That's a massive rebuilding of the squad needed over the next few transfer windows.

There's not a lot of quality in that squad, only these 5 players out of 24 to build a team around (my opinion):

de Gea 

Shaw

Pogba

Rashford

Martial

Agree / Disagree with the Guardian's assessment?

Here's the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/apr/17/manchester-united-squad-verdict-who-should-stay-and-who-should-go-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

IMO that is pretty close to the mark although I do believe that players like Smalling will be good squad players, this because he does put in a good game in the main.

I noticed in another post it was mentioned that Bale should join United, however that's not the sort of player I believe they need right now, mainly because he's getting on and he is injury prone.

I believe the problem is that they have bought unwisely over the past few years and haven't developed their junior/academy boys to come through, when there was a time that they were envied for the stream of great younger players – – the squad of 92 for example – – that they bought through.

I think it will take quite a while to build this side into a side which can match the likes of City, Liverpool or Spurs, because United are so behind the eight ball at the moment.

Nevertheless, a few good acquisitions in the off-season will start to make a difference and giving more game time to the likes of Dalot in a right back position and also to Fred, or Pereira, for example, will help.

58 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I noticed in another post it was mentioned that Bale should join United, however that's not the sort of player I believe they need right now, mainly because he's getting on and he is injury prone

I realise he is injury prone but I think it's time to gamble on a player who could make an immediate impact. He's a force to be reckoned with on his day and obviously has PL experience so wouldn't need to assimilate . I think it would help to get Alexis off the books first though.

6 hours ago, nev said:

Well done Spurs, Made my day waking up to this the treble is safe for another year.

Does that mean you are now up for doing us a favour next Wednesday. I mean you don't want the Scousers winning the league do you ????

#rockandanhardplace 

9 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I realise he is injury prone but I think it's time to gamble on a player who could make an immediate impact. He's a force to be reckoned with on his day and obviously has PL experience so wouldn't need to assimilate . I think it would help to get Alexis off the books first though.

Agree with getting Sanchez of the books asap, and just have to hope that there is someone out there who needs someone like him (whatever that is).

You make a good point as regards Bale, however I still think it would be money better spent on a younger player and someone who can develop with other younger players, rather than making an impact for a couple of years.

A friend of mine has said that there are some good young players around in the UK, and he mentioned Grealish as one and another young player who plays up front for Bournemouth, not to mention that there would be probably some good young players out in Europe who would relish the opportunity to "earn their spurs" (sorry about the reference) with a team like United.

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Does that mean you are now up for doing us a favour next Wednesday. I mean you don't want the Scousers winning the league do you ????

#rockandanhardplace 

I have already stated we win for us, The league takes care of itself over 38 games we need the points to get top 4.

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Strong words from OLS

Manchester United: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer says some players 'need reality check'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47987205

Too bloody true, I have named many before who are not up to standard if we want to compete at the top,bAll down to the Glazers and their Muppet Woodward who has the say in who we buy, Mourinio wanted to strengthen the defence but Woodward stated Alderwield of Spurs not as good as what we have ????.

3 hours ago, nev said:

Too bloody true, I have named many before who are not up to standard if we want to compete at the top,bAll down to the Glazers and their Muppet Woodward who has the say in who we buy, Mourinio wanted to strengthen the defence but Woodward stated Alderwield of Spurs not as good as what we have ????.

Seems Martial has been one that OGS doesn’t seem too happy with. 

I ask listening to a debate last night on 5 live and they were questioning the set up re buying of players and making the point that top managers gets like Pellegrini and Poch would not entertain others picking players and making decisions re contracts. They mentioned Jones and Smalling have been given extensions that OGS never agreed to? Or was that pre him taking over. 

This was part part of the discussion:

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was the wrong choice as Man Utd manager - Jenas
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47993864

Edited by Kadilo

34 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I ask listening to a debate last night on 5 live and they were questioning the set up re buying of players and making the point that top managers gets like Pellegrini and Poch would not entertain others picking players and making decisions re contracts. They mentioned Jones and Smalling have been given extensions that OGS never agreed to? Or was that pre him taking over. 

Think Jenas has said what a lot of what we all feel:

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was the wrong choice as Manchester United boss, says ex-England midfielder Jermaine Jenas.

Solskjaer, who scored United's winner in the 1999 Champions League final, replaced Jose Mourinho in December, initially for the rest of the season.

He won 10 of his first 11 games and was appointed permanently in March, but has lost five of his past seven matches.

Asked about Solskjaer being named manager, Jenas told BBC Sport: "I felt it was all emotional with Ole."

When Solskjaer took charge, United were sixth in the Premier League and 11 points off the top four. They remain in sixth position but are now only two points behind fourth-placed Arsenal.

The Norwegian oversaw a stunning comeback as United overturned a two-goal first-leg deficit to beat Paris St-Germain 3-1 and win on away goals in the Champions League last 16.

However, their Champions League campaign ended in the quarter-finals on Tuesday with a 4-0 aggregate defeat against Barcelona.

Solskjaer said on Friday that some of his players "need a reality check" after the team's poor run of form.

Asked on BBC Radio 5 Live if Solskjaer was the right appointment, Jenas said: "No. I felt it was an emotional decision and in any business it should be a thought-out logical decision for the long term.

"One of the things they need to get away from is 'the Manchester United way' and 'that's not the way they used to do it'. What Sir Alex Ferguson did was very unique and United have found it very difficult to replicate with some of the best managers in the world...

...I don't think they need to try and find someone who can get close to what Ferguson has done, they need to find [a new identity].

Mourinho tried to do that but the club didn't buy into it.

"I don't think they know what they're doing."

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

I am pretty sure you are right Jones and Smalling and add Young all extended by Woodward.

This makes it hard for Ole as he has to work with what he has got and not build the team he wants.

We need to ship out at least 8 players but the whopping contracts they are on makes it harder to do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

It's the strategy behind the club that needs sorting out, the set up behind the scenes needs restructuring. Get ride of Wooward and bring a in proper DoF.

Yes Woodward needs to go, What other football club has an accountant making major decisions, That's why Mourinio was pissed off he was trying his best to get the structure of the club right with his hands tied behind his back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nev said:

Yes Woodward needs to go, What other football club has an accountant making major decisions, That's why Mourinio was pissed off he was trying his best to get the structure of the club right with his hands tied behind his back.

Madness, and potentially spunking more money on the wrong players in the summer again. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, nev said:

Unbelievable nev. United got dumped out losing both ties. We got knocked out on away goals and you have the neck to post such an article on the United thread. You lot are obsessed with us nowadays. Suppose we should take it as a compliment

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Unbelievable nev. United got dumped out losing both ties. We got knocked out on away goals and you have the neck to post such an article on the United thread. You lot are obsessed with us nowadays. Suppose we should take it as a compliment

It's a good article that not us from Manchester but supporters of other clubs on here would be very interested in.

Or should I have started a new Thread?.

And by the way we lost to Barcelona with the best player in world football, It was always going to be a uphill battle for us, but you lot started favourite's to get through.

Edited by nev

When will English football fans understand how to look at the bigger picture? That is the picture bigger than the last month.

In any industry you understand that progress can only be tracked over a longer period of time. Of course there will be fluctuations. 

The fact is that when Ole took over we were pretty much dead and buried in the top 4 race. Now we are right back in the mix, and also in that period became the first team ever to overturn a 2-0 deficit away from home in the CL. Overall it's an undeniable improvement.

20 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

When will English football fans understand how to look at the bigger picture? That is the picture bigger than the last month.

In any industry you understand that progress can only be tracked over a longer period of time. Of course there will be fluctuations. 

The fact is that when Ole took over we were pretty much dead and buried in the top 4 race. Now we are right back in the mix, and also in that period became the first team ever to overturn a 2-0 deficit away from home in the CL. Overall it's an undeniable improvement.

Think only you ManU fans are seeing it that way. The true improvement has been in the morale after the mutiny against Mourinho but it footballing terms you're pretty much were you were. 

It had looked like Mourinho with his 2 trophies and 2nd place might be leading you upwards but in the end your management backed certain players against him and you are still struggling for the 4th to 6th position since Rednose left. 

Ole has come out with 2 interesting statements that you will build longterm and not splash the cash shortterm and players will have to toe the line. That seems positive and in the right direction.

Not convinced by Oles appointment but he is likeable. Still think ManU should have waited till the end of season review of who should be manager.

Can you get back to the top? You had 20 championship free years pre-1992 and liverpool have had almost 30 championship free years so there's no guarantee of big clubs being champions. City are now well established, Liverpool could be at the beginning of a cycle, spurs are well positioned to challenge if they'd splash some cash on 1 or 2 quality additions so for ManU you could be an also ran for years to come. 

10 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Think only you ManU fans are seeing it that way. 

Don't be silly. I think most people had written us off for the top 4. Now we are right back in it. Of course it is an improvement.

11 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Think only you ManU fans are seeing it that way. The true improvement has been in the morale after the mutiny against Mourinho but it footballing terms you're pretty much were you were. 

It had looked like Mourinho with his 2 trophies and 2nd place might be leading you upwards but in the end your management backed certain players against him and you are still struggling for the 4th to 6th position since Rednose left. 

Ole has come out with 2 interesting statements that you will build longterm and not splash the cash shortterm and players will have to toe the line. That seems positive and in the right direction.

Not convinced by Oles appointment but he is likeable. Still think ManU should have waited till the end of season review of who should be manager.

Can you get back to the top? You had 20 championship free years pre-1992 and liverpool have had almost 30 championship free years so there's no guarantee of big clubs being champions. City are now well established, Liverpool could be at the beginning of a cycle, spurs are well positioned to challenge if they'd splash some cash on 1 or 2 quality additions so for ManU you could be an also ran for years to come. 

Or we could be champions next season ???? opinions are just that.

Well onto today's game, This will be a tough one and a must win for us, Glad Young has been dropped he has lost it and needs replacing.

2-1 to us in a close game.

59 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Don't be silly. I think most people had written us off for the top 4. Now we are right back in it. Of course it is an improvement.

You're on the periphery with a glimmer of hope more like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

You’ve lost 5 of your last 8 matches in all comps and are playing like it. 

• Like 1