Forum upgrade in progress! ×

The Official Chelsea FC Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

22 hours ago, oldgit said:

Palmer came to Chelsea mainly because of Pocchetino's 'plan and vision of the future of the club'. He also knows Madueke and Colwill through the England Under 21 team so, they must have been waxing lyrical about Poch. as well. I like Palmer because he's strong on the ball, intelligent (a rare commodity with young players nowadays), finds space and can pick a pass. Guardiola was said to be distraught when he decided to go. Now, if Pocchetino would go, I don't think he would want to hang around too long either.

Boehly is a typical brash, I do it my way, self made millionaire who think that he knows everything about anything. Enticing the best young talent in world football to our club, with 7 and 8 year contracts, was very clever. The problem is, he's impatient. He talked about the long term but, as soon as things start to go awry he panics. He can't be allowed to get involved in on field matters as he did with Potter. I've a feeling that Pocchetino laid the law down as a proviso for taking the job, hence the short contract as cover with an option to extend. 

Boehly buying Palmer (21) in exchange for a 29 year old Croatian ball carrier is good business,wages were probably less as well...also gets join up with potentially 6 other England team mates.

But when fit they cant all play. We have a squad of 30 players plus another 17 on loan,far too many especially with some very good youngsters also likely to make the break through?

There is probably as many as 20+ ex Chelsea players currently playing in the Premiership...a staggering statistic.

• Thumbs Up 1

A fighting performance and a much needed win against a slick passing opponent. My stand out players were Cucurella and Maatsen, who did a great job in keeping Mitoma quiet. Others who can be proud of their efforts were Sanchez, a bit dodgy in parts but produced some vital stops, Corwill, Chilwell and Palmer who was everywhere. Mudryk worked hard, but he's got use his searing pace more and take on people on the outside, instead of ducking inside all the time.

14 minutes ago, oldgit said:

A fighting performance and a much needed win against a slick passing opponent. My stand out players were Cucurella and Maatsen, who did a great job in keeping Mitoma quiet. Others who can be proud of their efforts were Sanchez, a bit dodgy in parts but produced some vital stops, Corwill, Chilwell and Palmer who was everywhere. Mudryk worked hard, but he's got use his searing pace more and take on people on the outside, instead of ducking inside all the time.

That was gutsy,like Cucurella,s performance,never gave an inch never backed down. Colwill is a JT clone without doubt,extremely calm on the ball reads the situation well and has the odd positive rampage up field..just got to stay fit. Maatsen had a good game and Muddy as you say Og worked hard ...Palmer was excellent.

3 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

That was gutsy,like Cucurella,s performance,never gave an inch never backed down. Colwill is a JT clone without doubt,extremely calm on the ball reads the situation well and has the odd positive rampage up field..just got to stay fit. Maatsen had a good game and Muddy as you say Og worked hard ...Palmer was excellent.

A big confidence booster for Jackson to get his goal. He reminds me of Drogba when he first came to the Bridge. Kept falling over like a dying swan, then he bulked up and the penny dropped and the rest, as they say, is history. Broja looked the part when he came on. You know Keith? That's only the second time this season where the opposition has hemmed us back in our own half for long periods, the other being Liverpool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldgit said:

A big confidence booster for Jackson to get his goal. He reminds me of Drogba when he first came to the Bridge. Kept falling over like a dying swan, then he bulked up and the penny dropped and the rest, as they say, is history. Broja looked the part when he came on. You know Keith? That's only the second time this season where the opposition has hemmed us back in our own half for long periods, the other being Liverpool.

Yep he is a bit Drogba esk....very very early days for him but the signs are extremely promising for such a youn un (22).... Drogba was 26 when we signed him.

Yes Og first time since Poch took over including pre season games that the opposition has had more possession than us 61%. Had to laugh at the commentator not only him but others who like to remind everyone we scraped through in the previous round against Wimbledon .....yep 84% possession 23 to 10 in shots 9 to 2 in shots on target and 1 save to there 7...scraped through :cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

An important win against a well drilled, hard working Fulham team. The most impressive aspect of the game was the interlink play between Gallagher, Enzo and Caceido. Their understanding is really coming together now and, with Palmer drifting inside on occasions, that midfield looked solid. The back four also looked solid with Cucerella looking far more positive and aggressive. That's down to Poch. and his staff. After an indifferent start, Mudryk showed everybody what a talent he is with a stylish goal while Broja earned his by sheer hard work.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, oldgit said:

An important win against a well drilled, hard working Fulham team. The most impressive aspect of the game was the interlink play between Gallagher, Enzo and Caceido. Their understanding is really coming together now and, with Palmer drifting inside on occasions, that midfield looked solid. The back four also looked solid with Cucerella looking far more positive and aggressive. That's down to Poch. and his staff. After an indifferent start, Mudryk showed everybody what a talent he is with a stylish goal while Broja earned his by sheer hard work.

Back to back wins,and surprisingly or not both gained with less possession. For me Conor is getting better and better and covers an immense amount of ground,and the teams transition from defence into attack is a delight to watch. Yeah clicking in midfield and defence is pretty solid,Disasi seems like he has been here for years. Still early days and the squad are still finding each other out,success was never going to happen overnight like in the past ,but we are heading in the right direction again.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Back to back wins,and surprisingly or not both gained with less possession. For me Conor is getting better and better and covers an immense amount of ground,and the teams transition from defence into attack is a delight to watch. Yeah clicking in midfield and defence is pretty solid,Disasi seems like he has been here for years. Still early days and the squad are still finding each other out,success was never going to happen overnight like in the past ,but we are heading in the right direction again.

A vital save by Sanchez to deny their sub. Distribution still a bit dodgy but still an impressive, confident 'keeper. That's the best I've seen Disasi play. 

Is a possible injury too Muddy going to come to Pochy,s rescue...whereby he should be starting Palmer ahead of Sterling imo... Broja or Jackson is another conundrum....Chuky could also be back and Madueke will also be wanting some game time.

Sanchez is on for 2 hat-ricks...Clean sheets and passing the ball straight to an opposition player ...please let it be the former and not the latter.????

• Thumbs Up 1

Shocking 1st half.. So bleeding slow in everything we are doing. Referee is also totally inept, what with a water break and 2 goals scored and Burnley taking every opportunity to waste time how come there was only 3 minute's added time.. Should have been at least 7.

Got to move the ball a lot lot quicker in the 2nd half.

13 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Shocking 1st half.. So bleeding slow in everything we are doing. Referee is also totally inept, what with a water break and 2 goals scored and Burnley taking every opportunity to waste time how come there was only 3 minute's added time.. Should have been at least 7.

Got to move the ball a lot lot quicker in the 2nd half.

Yeah, very stodgy first half with hardly any movement, nobody deserving any credit there. A large slice of luck for us at the end of the half. Sterling was alight in the second half, showing all his old pace and tenacity, while the confidence grew throughout the team, once we took the lead. Good movement and a better understanding in midfield the longer the game went on. The number of times Gallagher won the ball, when he looked like he had no chance, was remarkable! 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, oldgit said:

Yeah, very stodgy first half with hardly any movement, nobody deserving any credit there. A large slice of luck for us at the end of the half. Sterling was alight in the second half, showing all his old pace and tenacity, while the confidence grew throughout the team, once we took the lead. Good movement and a better understanding in midfield the longer the game went on. The number of times Gallagher won the ball, when he looked like he had no chance, was remarkable! 

Gallagher has been the standout for me for quite a while,puts in a proper shift never gives up a lost cause and thankfully has stopped picking up stupid yellow cards. Speaking of yellow cards that ref was utterly useless..he should not have carded Silva Enzo or Moises...totally inept are our officials from top to bottom.

Edited by keithsimmonds

13 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Gallagher has been the standout for me for quite a while,puts in a proper shift never gives up a lost cause and thankfully has stopped picking up stupid yellow cards. Speaking of yellow cards that ref was utterly useless..he should not have carded Silva Enzo or Moises...totally inept are our officials from top to bottom.

I was gobsmacked when he gave a yellow to Caceido. The ball wasn't even in play when he kicked it away. Why was Broja substituted? I thought he did well in the first half with a couple of runs and dribbles that reminded me of the great Peter Osgood....The King of Stamford Bridge.

4 hours ago, oldgit said:

I was gobsmacked when he gave a yellow to Caceido. The ball wasn't even in play when he kicked it away. Why was Broja substituted? I thought he did well in the first half with a couple of runs and dribbles that reminded me of the great Peter Osgood....The King of Stamford Bridge.

What erked me was Kovac gets a yellow (yesterday) having got none of the ball and just got the man.. Yet Matos got all of the ball and gets a Red and a 3 game ban????

Broja..... Fantastic dribbling and close control against Fulham as well... Maybe 45 minutes was all he was going to get... He certainly did not have much service or anything worthwhile to work with ????

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

One trophy in last 23 years bwahahahahahaha........get back in ya hammock.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿:coffee1:

Ooooh gettin testy in the bottom half of the table innit?

Edited by smokie36

Very disappointing to give away too soft goals. I suppose Sanchez will keep his place for the Brentford game,then either Petrovic or Bergstrom will come in for the Blackburn cup tie. 🤔 Bloke was lucky not concede a pen with his clumsy challenge into anyone and everyone.....Twatt.

Conor again motm for me,bloke is everywhere and his discipline ..well i am gobsmacked as refs this season hand out cards for literally anything,yet Conor from his 9 starts has 1 yellow card..compared to last season 18 starts 9 Yellows and 1 Red...could be said that under both Potter and Frank he did n,t or they did n,t have a clue where he should or should n,t be.

Price difference, age difference, goals and assists .....Kovacic and Palmer is looking.....???

• Thumbs Up 1

Bloody annoying to let the lead slip that way, after the work rate and commitment the team put in for 70 minutes. Funnily enough, I thought we looked the most comfortable we had been throughout the match, just before their goal. They looked like they were shot and just wanted to get out of the place, until the Sanchez error. Then that gave them the renewed confidence to come forward. Loads of stand out performances for us too numerous to mention. The positives are that the squad is progressing under Poch and there's a togetherness now. The defence is solid and the midfield looking top notch. The attack is a work in progress but is getting there.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 3:06 PM, keithsimmonds said:

Very disappointing to give away too soft goals. I suppose Sanchez will keep his place for the Brentford game,then either Petrovic or Bergstrom will come in for the Blackburn cup tie. 🤔 Bloke was lucky not concede a pen with his clumsy challenge into anyone and everyone.....Twatt.

Conor again motm for me,bloke is everywhere and his discipline ..well i am gobsmacked as refs this season hand out cards for literally anything,yet Conor from his 9 starts has 1 yellow card..compared to last season 18 starts 9 Yellows and 1 Red...could be said that under both Potter and Frank he did n,t or they did n,t have a clue where he should or should n,t be.

Price difference, age difference, goals and assists .....Kovacic and Palmer is looking.....???

Yeah Keith, Sanchez had a howler but that happens to everybody, even the best, sometimes. The BBC Sports website, who must have the most bland, non commital journalists on the planet, decided after Sanchez had won the Save of the Month competition and had put in some good performances, to put the question to the reader "Is Robert Sanchez Chelsea's best signing this summer?" Notice that the journalist is posing a question and not giving an opinion, perish the thought, but in a back handed way, expecting a positive response. Well, the response was overwhelmingly yes. Would the BBC had asked that question AFTER the Arsenal game? Would they f&^k. Why? Because these so called professionals since on the fence so much, their collective arse'ole must bleed. Me? He's without doubt a very good signing, considering that he came in after Kepa hot footed to Spain, thrown in at the deep end and has acquitted himself well in a short space of time.

1 hour ago, oldgit said:

Yeah Keith, Sanchez had a howler but that happens to everybody, even the best, sometimes. The BBC Sports website, who must have the most bland, non commital journalists on the planet, decided after Sanchez had won the Save of the Month competition and had put in some good performances, to put the question to the reader "Is Robert Sanchez Chelsea's best signing this summer?" Notice that the journalist is posing a question and not giving an opinion, perish the thought, but in a back handed way, expecting a positive response. Well, the response was overwhelmingly yes. Would the BBC had asked that question AFTER the Arsenal game? Would they f&^k. Why? Because these so called professionals since on the fence so much, their collective arse'ole must bleed. Me? He's without doubt a very good signing, considering that he came in after Kepa hot footed to Spain, thrown in at the deep end and has acquitted himself well in a short space of time.

Yeah they all make mistakes some more than others and some are unforgivable  "Howlers". I was full of praise for him early doors ..very impressed in fact and a big step up from both Mendy and Kepa imho....but that Brighton Cup game twice he kicked it straight to one theirs inside his own penalty area (okay he used to play for them)but then he did it again against Fulham (got away with it...again) and he booted it clean into touch at least 7 times in the previous 3 games ....and that clearout from the corner/free kick...that is beyond clumsy.

That game on Saturday was done,all 3 points in the bag and Arteta was thinking of his starting eleven for last nights game,the uncertainty his gaff created then led to Gusto switching off..which he had not done all game.....cnut.

I read somewhere that Cesc Fab...says Jose would have sat him down to watch his performance 👀

Granted his saves so far, have probably stopped us from dropping further points...just tidy up your act mate...cos we have got 3 other keepers on the books, plus another 4 yes 4 on loan.

Edited by keithsimmonds

On 10/22/2023 at 3:19 PM, oldgit said:

Bloody annoying to let the lead slip that way, after the work rate and commitment the team put in for 70 minutes. Funnily enough, I thought we looked the most comfortable we had been throughout the match, just before their goal. They looked like they were shot and just wanted to get out of the place, until the Sanchez error. Then that gave them the renewed confidence to come forward. Loads of stand out performances for us too numerous to mention. The positives are that the squad is progressing under Poch and there's a togetherness now. The defence is solid and the midfield looking top notch. The attack is a work in progress but is getting there.

I am all for us signing Toney in the January transfer window,Thomas F is already resigned to losing him and readily excepts the inevitable..i like that about him...he let go 2 good goalkeepers with the minimum of fuss...Raya and Ariola.

4 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

I am all for us signing Toney in the January transfer window,Thomas F is already resigned to losing him and readily excepts the inevitable..i like that about him...he let go 2 good goalkeepers with the minimum of fuss...Raya and Ariola.

I like Ivan Toney because, when the allegations of betting arose, he  didn't let it affect his football and was still putting himself about until he was banned. It showed that he had a strong mentality and will keep himself in shape when he returns.. Same with Thomas Frank, if you want to go, bugger off and close the door on your way out.

• Like 1

Tough one to take,but it is what it is. Cant fault anyone really though the whole team seemed to fall asleep for that killer opening goal. Good that we have a game in midweek to try and put things right.👍

We're on the up Keith. We got beat 4-1 by them last season! I was very disappointed with Mandueke. I expected him to take on the full back on his outside, but he just kept recycling the ball back to the defenders. The big difference between the two sides was their attacking threat. Jackson needs to learn very quickly that you need a mean streak in the Premier League. Disappointing to concede a goal yet again, from a cross to the far post. Too much ball watching going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, oldgit said:

We're on the up Keith. We got beat 4-1 by them last season! I was very disappointed with Mandueke. I expected him to take on the full back on his outside, but he just kept recycling the ball back to the defenders. The big difference between the two sides was their attacking threat. Jackson needs to learn very quickly that you need a mean streak in the Premier League. Disappointing to concede a goal yet again, from a cross to the far post. Too much ball watching going on.

Yes Mandueke could have done a lot more,but took the safe option,something that Mudryk does n,t  do....or even Sterling for that matter

I reckon that Maatsen will play in his favored position of left back on Wednesday,should that happen and he fails to impress then he will be the 1st one to go in January imho.

I did not see any of the first half. Fwiw i thought Disasi Ugochukwu Jackson and Reece (he may have a had a blinder in the 1st half?) were all way off the pace.

Cucurella continues on an upward curve for me,and gives his all (i like that a lot. )Palmer is the dogs blxs and deserves someone with a sharp brain to play near him/infront of him...unfortunately Samuel Eto is no longer at the club. Good and bad for Poch...his face on 78 minutes with us 2 nil up, was full of pure anger at what he was seeing from some of the guys (Good).. not putting someone else in goal to put some pressure on Sanchez (bad) the bloke was still sloppy with playing it out from the back. Sterling was okay and both Colwill and Gusto when subbed on both played there part.

Maatsen staying on the bench and not seeing any minutes is a gonna for me in January....City or Burnley for 30/40mill is great business for the club imho.

Jackson needs to play in midweek games with the under 21,s..he needs to learn and learn fast.

• Thumbs Up 1