Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

46 minutes ago, Chartist said:

The fall in sterling was exacerbated by Carney unnecessarily reducing interest rates by 0.25% and increasing stimulus the day after the referendum, to apparently avoid the non existent recession that all remainers apparently knew wouldn't happen yet as we hadn't actually left yet, all of them except the Governor of the Bank of England. 

The BOE could raise interest rates which would lower inflation and strengthen Stirling, but they won't because it's a private bank and that doesn't fit with it's private interests. 

He was trying to avoid crashing the economy ????

• Haha 1

sorry but the devaluation of the pound was based 100% on the vote to leave,its as clear as day and to say otherwise makes you look silly,to of left the EU within weeks would of meant an even bigger drop,brexit is what has made the country rudderless and soon to be sunk,you say the markets hadnt a clue sorry but they knew exactly what they were doing and did exactly what they said they would do ie wipe 15% off the pounds value,same same they will do it again with a no deal/bad deal,same same companies will do as they have indicated,the UK is on its knees with debt,benefit scroungers,weak currency and it will be for many years to come,i hope if suffers as it is no more than it deserves,the french,dutch.belgians and germans will prosper as usual.
I agree the Pound would have taken a bigger battering initially had we left quickly but I suspect, like receiving a short, sharp pain, it would have started showing signs of recovering by now with a positive, oppurtunities-driven, full-blooded Brexit, rather than this half in, half out, do the hokey kokey nonsense that we've been subjected to for over two years. Business and the markets can deal with almost any situation, apart from uncertainty.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Chartist said:

The fall in sterling was exacerbated by Carney unnecessarily reducing interest rates by 0.25% and increasing stimulus the day after the referendum, to apparently avoid the non existent recession that all remainers apparently knew wouldn't happen yet as we hadn't actually left yet, all of them except the Governor of the Bank of England. 

The BOE could raise interest rates which would lower inflation and strengthen Stirling, but they won't because it's a private bank and that doesn't fit with it's private interests. 

totally wrong the pound fell around 15% because of brexit and nothing else please just admit it,the 0.25% cut made little difference although it did send it down slightly another 0.5% or maybe even less.i do agree carney still shouldnt of done it,but this is the type of clown our Govt employ,the very same govt leave voters seem to have a lot of faith in in making the UK great again,well iam sorry but you have all been proved wrong and will pay suffer even more when JC,Abbott and labour take over the asylum,the gemans are laffing now wait to they see these clowns on stage.????????????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rixalex said:

I agree the Pound would have taken a bigger battering initially had we left quickly but I suspect, like receiving a short, sharp pain, it would have started showing signs of recovering by now with a positive, oppurtunities-driven, full-blooded Brexit, rather than this half in, half out, do the hokey kokey nonsense that we've been subjected to for over two years. Business and the markets can deal with almost any situation, apart from uncertainty.

the markets seem to deal alright with the impending collapse of the EU that has been predicted by leave voters for 3 years or more now ???? it seems it must be just a British thing,Trump wasnt really wanted but even he didnt scare them,its only brexit they seem bothered about.

1 hour ago, Chartist said:

when the pound crashes after a no deal i wonder if the BoE raises rates to prop it up,imagine rates of 3-4% with JC in power and brexit now that is a what i call a recession, that will bring 10-15 years hardship for Brits,very scary and very possible.

3 hours ago, evadgib said:

That background looks like a spoonies bog wall,what an idiot,he seems to have it in for anyone who has been to university and for teachers,the guardian,and failed politicians who he doesnt name and he has nothing to say about how much better off the UK is going to be out other than making our own decisions,someone needs to tell him our politicaians/leaders are much worse than anything in brussells,Blair and Brown come to mind,never mind Abbot and Costello Corbyn will make Brussell's look like magicians.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Chartist said:

Sterling fell on the uncertainty caused by the leave vote however as stated it was exacerbated by the cut in interest rates, lower rates = devalued currency. The Government don't employ Carney he's the Governor of the Bank of England which is a private organisation not directly controlled by the Government. 

And yes as much as I dislike OUR government I have more faith in them than the unelected unaccountable EU representatives. Our Government can be held accountable every 5 years, national policies can be changed by preceding Governments, that's democracy. The EU isn't privy to such public accountability and any policies it implements are impossible to repeal. Anyone who voted to remain voted in support of not having a vote ever again, therefore its laughable that they now want another referendum to give them another chance at scuppering the entire democratic experiment, smh.

not you state state sterling only fell because of uncertainty,just tell the truth your inching your way very slowly to a full admission anyway,and now carney doesnt work for the Govt,well i think we all know different to that,inflation goes above 2% he has to tell them why,he is 99% employed by the Govt of the UK and is about as much use as them,please tell me one EU policy that has effected me personally for better or worse iam aged 50 if that helps,i await your reply

42 minutes ago, bomber said:

when the pound crashes after a no deal i wonder if the BoE raises rates to prop it up,imagine rates of 3-4% with JC in power and brexit now that is a what i call a recession, that will bring 10-15 years hardship for Brits,very scary and very possible.

It will be a world of fun for anyone who has a mortgage...

8 minutes ago, tebee said:

It will be a world of fun for anyone who has a mortgage...

higher mortgages = higher rents,inflation will be up when the £ drops,unemployment will rise,all will be the fault of the EU bully boys,i wonder if its the same bullys who have brought Gatwick to a standstill,no surely not lets blame use other popular myth,its them Russians.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Typical remoaner b/s, fail to criticise his political veiws, so instead criticise him personally. Surprised you did’t include his shirt.

I was criticizing this:

"Like it or not, we will leave the #EU, and we will never forget what you people tried to do to us?"

And what I find remarkable is the widespread use of 'remoaner" among the  Brexiters who then complain about the abusive language of remainers. 

42 minutes ago, bomber said:

higher mortgages = higher rents,inflation will be up when the £ drops,unemployment will rise,all will be the fault of the EU bully boys,i wonder if its the same bullys who have brought Gatwick to a standstill,no surely not lets blame use other popular myth,its them Russians.

I don't think higher rents would be sustainable, most people are at the limit of what they can pay now. The people who will suffer first are those who bought highly leveraged buy-to-lets as rents will no longer cover mortgage payments and any capital gains will evaporate as house prices fall. Could be a big melt down.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tebee said:

I don't think higher rents would be sustainable, most people are at the limit of what they can pay now. The people who will suffer first are those who bought highly leveraged buy-to-lets as rents will no longer cover mortgage payments and any capital gains will evaporate as house prices fall. Could be a big melt down.  

big meltdown in London and SE wouldnt be a shock,most other area's much smaller drops,i have several properties but in the cheap area's of the north where prices are already low,so would barely affect me and interest rates dont either as i dont have mortgages for them,wouldnt mind a better return for my savings tho ????

8 minutes ago, bomber said:

big meltdown in London and SE wouldnt be a shock,most other area's much smaller drops,i have several properties but in the cheap area's of the north where prices are already low,so would barely affect me and interest rates dont either as i dont have mortgages for them,wouldnt mind a better return for my savings tho ????

The problem is that when a big percentage of housing prices decline, the owners pull back on spending, And that is a powerful recessionary force which can affect almost everyone participating in the UK economy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chartist said:

Sterling fell on the uncertainty caused by the leave vote however as stated it was exacerbated by the cut in interest rates, lower rates = devalued currency. The Government don't employ Carney he's the Governor of the Bank of England which is a private organisation not directly controlled by the Government. 

And yes as much as I dislike OUR government I have more faith in them than the unelected unaccountable EU representatives. Our Government can be held accountable every 5 years, national policies can be changed by preceding Governments, that's democracy. The EU isn't privy to such public accountability and any policies it implements are impossible to repeal. Anyone who voted to remain voted in support of not having a vote ever again, therefore its laughable that they now want another referendum to give them another chance at scuppering the entire democratic experiment, smh.

Well said there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bomber said:

Those magnificent house prices stopped flying again,
they go up tiddly up up,
they go down tiddly down down.

They piss off all the tenants and steal all their crown,
with their up tiddly up up
and their down tiddly down down

Up, down, flying around,
Looping the loop and defying the pound.

Chorus.....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Those magnificent house prices stopped flying again,
they go up tiddly up up,
they go down tiddly down down.

They piss off all the tenants and steal all their crown,
with their up tiddly up up
and their down tiddly down down

Up, down, flying around,
Looping the loop and defying the pound.

Chorus.....

????

2 hours ago, bomber said:

not you state state sterling only fell because of uncertainty,just tell the truth your inching your way very slowly to a full admission anyway,and now carney doesnt work for the Govt,well i think we all know different to that,inflation goes above 2% he has to tell them why,he is 99% employed by the Govt of the UK and is about as much use as them,please tell me one EU policy that has effected me personally for better or worse iam aged 50 if that helps,i await your reply

Sorry I'm struggling to make sense of that your post, calm down and proof read before you post. The Governor of The Bank of England is not employed by the British Government, this is really easy to check I suggest you do so before further comment. Also the BOE's target inflation rate is 2% this is widely regarded as a healthy rate. Current inflation is 2.3% and is forecast to fall back towards the 2% target due to lower oil prices, this is all really easy information to find, do a bit off research and come back with some valid points based on fact not your own hubris.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chartist said:

Sorry I'm struggling to make sense of that your post, calm down and proof read before you post. The Governor of The Bank of England is not employed by the British Government, this is really easy to check I suggest you do so before further comment. Also the BOE's target inflation rate is 2% this is widely regarded as a healthy rate. Current inflation is 2.3% and is forecast to fall back towards the 2% target due to lower oil prices, this is all really easy information to find, do a bit off research and come back with some valid points based on fact not your own hubris.

the BoE is owned by the british govt and has been since 1946.I suggest you check check the facts.

So the BoE has been government-owned since it was nationalized in 1946, at which time it had GBP 14.6 million in capital... And the BoE website proclaims: "We were nationalised by the government in 1946 due to our importance to the economy. Various other central banks across Europe passed from private to public ownership around this time.", so what is the BoE actually saying here...? Well, what they are saying is simply a deliberate attempt to say nothing. They are obfuscating the situation with ambiguity dressed up as fact.

Without clarification there are 2 reasonable ways to view that statement:

1. The BoE was simply following suit with the behaviour of other European central bank at that time (which would be incorrect because nationalisation is certainly not the same as switching from private to public ownership, although this is perhaps what the statement implies.)

or:

2. Whilst other central banks were switching to public ownership we were cutting our own path and were nationalising our central bank.

The question is, why would the BoE not feel inclined to clarify the distinction?

Furthermore, and perhaps most worryingly, the BoE website states that at the time of nationalisation the bank had £14.6 million of capital held by 17,000 shareholders, and yet with reference to the situation today the website states that: "We are wholly-owned by the UK government. The entire capital of the Bank, around £14.6 million, is held by the Treasury Solicitor on behalf of HM Treasury." So... there has been absolutely no change in the level of capital held by the bank between 1946 and today...? Anyone else think that's weird, much?

https://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/who-owns-the-bank-of-england/

the markets seem to deal alright with the impending collapse of the EU that has been predicted by leave voters for 3 years or more now [emoji38] it seems it must be just a British thing,Trump wasnt really wanted but even he didnt scare them,its only brexit they seem bothered about.
I've certainly heard people speculate the possibility of the EU collapsing in the future, but I've heard nobody suggesting its on the verge of doing so, which is obviously what it would take to affect the markets. Perhaps you can point me in the direction of those talking in terms of its imminent collapse, or else admit you are indulging in your usual hyperbole.

Re the supposed affects of Brexit, it's funny how for every bit of bad economic news remainers delight in, the response is "see, that's Brexit for you", and for every bit of good economic news that obviously annoys them, the response is, "ah yes, but Brexit hasn't happened yet".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bristolboy said:

To judge from the fascistic sound emanating from this loon, it seems more than ever that the UK should stay in the EU so that its citizens can continue to enjoy the civil liberties protected by the European Convention on Human Rights  that once were taken for granted in the UK. What a nasty piece of work Condell is. 

Check the rules & try attacking the content of the post rather than the person delivering it. Here he is again with a new one right up your strasse ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2