Extension Experience

Current Visa/Ext of Stay:  Non Imm OA

Method:  US Consulate Income Affidavit+2 sources of documentation

Agent: Yes-Reluctantly

Approved;  Yes+Multi ReEntry Permit

Comments:  I feel the money spent on an Agent was well worth it.  I spent 10 minutes in the Agents office(submitting passport, documents and of course payment).  I spent about 15 minutes at Immigration(only had to take two digital pictures, sign some redundant documents, get my passport and leave).  I then went to Sizzler and had Hibachi Chicken(if you grew up in the United States American then you might get this joke).  

On a serious note, I believe declaring Net Income on the Affidavit will make the extension process a little easier.  I declared my net income because my two sources of documentation supported this amount down to the penny.  I used monthly US Bank statements and monthly pension statements(I went through the documents and highlighted the relevant transaction lines).  I submitted the last 6 months of statements.  

Good luck to those who are going in for their extensions.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Thank you for the report.

Hopefully the agent-fee was discounted, since you had both an embassy income-letter and backing documentation for that income - a combination which others have used successfully at that office for in-person extensions.  

Your agent only provided "quick queue" service - though I understand that may have significant value in Chang Mai.

From what I've heard of the Chiang Mai immigration office, I'd imagine that agents can name their price up there.

18 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I think the people using agents can afford it and are willing to pay the extra for the trouble-free experience. Even though I do the 1900 baht version, I'd use an agent if I could afford to do so. It's personal choice and I'd never fault, criticise or try to ridicule anyone taking that route.

all (bar one) that I know cannot meet the official requirements - income or deposit

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

Ridiculously expensive to pay that much over the odds for such a simple procedure.

While I share your sentiment in general, are you aware of the "que-scam" the IOs run up there, to drive people to agents?  I'm not sure if it still 3 or 4 AM any more to line-up, but it was reported as such in the past. 

They do a trick where they say, "We only accept X applications per-day for retirement-extensions," knowing this is far below the needed demand.  They can then relax, reserving most of their time to handle agent-submitted applications (and the money that comes in with them). 

The reason his agent-submission was only 5K over the 1900 Baht, was because an additional fee to a senior IO to "waive the bank-seasoning," combined with the agent's short-term loan, was not needed.

To put this in context, for Non-O stamp applications, this office don't use the "before the crack of dawn" lineup run-around, because there are not that many of these - so it would be ineffective.  Instead, they use a combination of, "No appointments available for X days," and "Must submit Y days before one's current permitted-stay expires."  In this formula, "X" and "Y" are designed to run-out the clock on the applicant's permitted-stay - again forcing one to use an agent, who can get it all done without the queue.  ("Y" is 15 days at most offices - more in C.M.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

While I share your sentiment in general, are you aware of the "que-scam" the IOs run up there, to drive people to agents?  I'm not sure if it still 3 or 4 AM any more to line-up, but it was reported as such in the past. 

They do a trick where they say, "We only accept X applications per-day for retirement-extensions," knowing this is far below the needed demand.  They can then relax, reserving most of their time to handle agent-submitted applications (and the money that comes in with them). 

The reason his agent-submission was only 5K over the 1900 Baht, was because an additional fee to a senior IO to "waive the bank-seasoning," combined with the agent's short-term loan, was not needed.

To put this in context, for Non-O stamp applications, this office don't use the "before the crack of dawn" lineup run-around, because there are not that many of these - so it would be ineffective.  Instead, they use a combination of, "No appointments available for X days," and "Must submit Y days before one's current permitted-stay expires."  In this formula, "X" and "Y" are designed to run-out the clock on the applicant's permitted-stay - again forcing one to use an agent, who can get it all done without the queue.  ("Y" is 15 days at most offices - more in C.M.)

You really do not know what you are talking about, since big joke visited they are open from 0600 to 2000 doing their thing. As long as I have been in Chiang Mai if you want to do your own extension of stay you could do it and many people continue to do their own

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

I think the people using agents can afford it and are willing to pay the extra for the trouble-free experience. Even though I do the 1900 baht version, I'd use an agent if I could afford to do so. It's personal choice and I'd never fault, criticise or try to ridicule anyone taking that route.

i've never used an agent and i've never had any 'trouble'. in fact never had any issues or problems at all.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, moe666 said:

You really do not know what you are talking about, since big joke visited they are open from 0600 to 2000 doing their thing. As long as I have been in Chiang Mai if you want to do your own extension of stay you could do it and many people continue to do their own

I didn't say one could not do their own extension, given one is willing to line up however early is necessary to get one of the spots allowed for that day (for non-agent applicants).  Reports I have read here by several members were consistent on this point, some lining up hours before dawn to get a spot - others paying que-sitters - for making DIY (non-agent) applications. 

If the queue-situation has changed recently in CM, that's great!  Glad to hear it. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

So you're saying someone paying $215 for something that costs less than $60 is a chump?

No knowing the persons circumstances it may be more attractive than be asked to leave the country. I live in the NE with the $50 USD +air+ food+ taxi or train at the end of the day might be a wash.

Really can’t speculate without knowing the posters situation. I’m on Retirement visa and first time used an Agent which was 35,000 baht. I just looked at their website and it’s 40,000 baht now with 

a 100% guarantee or money back.

It was a bit of a hassle. Fly to Bangkok stay in hotel two nights. 

Was happy the second time as it was easy and painless. Just did 

2 renewal (3 total) and same as before easy. Next on should be ok 

as have income that comes in after that will have to rely on Social

Security which I’d the years statement I get is correct 55,000 a month. 

• Haha 1