Facing opposition, UK's May will bring Brexit deal back to parliament

webfact

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Nonsense. The 'express will of the people' - you mean a small majority of those who voted in an advisory referendum. And where was it ever stated in the legislation that it was a "once in a lifetime referendum", apart from in your imagination?

People on the streets - yeah right. I don't think so.

The vote was to leave the EU. Nothing was mentioned about under what terms, or when. And certainly nothing was mentioned about this being once in a lifetime never to be repeated no matter how much those who like the result want to pretend.

The sensible thing would be to withdraw Article 50, and then fight a general election in which voters could vote for the political parties based on their manifestos which would include details of their attitude towards EU membership; or withdraw Article 50 and hold another referendum after the electorate had been given real, truthful, factual information, not lies and propaganda. But the spineless self interest driven scallywags that call themselves politicians won't dare do this. They'd rather try and fudge a mess to save face and pretend they're not just self interested.

When does "Brexit "  really mean  "No Brexit " ? answer , when T. May is at the helm .

I get annoyed with her when she has the audacity to state " the people of the UK voted for Brexit and that is what I am delivering " . What a load of lies & bullshit , it is a semi Brexit deal , at best ,  she is promoting and in no way satisfies the Brexit voters . How is this woman able to make clandestine decisions without any challenges , or so it seems . Stubborn to the ninth degree , now on her 3rd Brexit secretary and other minister resignations , she is a cause for concern with delusions of grandeur . Someone please put her out of her misery . 

This is not a time to gain political points by JC or others . This is a serious matter that needs cross party involvement to ensure a decent future for the country .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SheungWan said:

'No deal' cannot get through Parliament. 

That is what has been said but I think May is relying on using that threat to push through her deal and by delaying the vote until late January she leaves little time for alternatives.  She cannot be challenged in her role as leader (forget Corbyn's pathetic attempt) and now the hard core Brexiteers are getting behind her.  Not the deal but they see that after the deal is rejected, then no-deal as the only option.  Unless people accept that May's deal is better.  It actually works for me but it really is Brexit in name only.

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Nonsense. The 'express will of the people' - you mean a small majority of those who voted in an advisory referendum. And where was it ever stated in the legislation that it was a "once in a lifetime referendum", apart from in your imagination?

People on the streets - yeah right. I don't think so.

The vote was to leave the EU. Nothing was mentioned about under what terms, or when. And certainly nothing was mentioned about this being once in a lifetime never to be repeated no matter how much those who like the result want to pretend.

The sensible thing would be to withdraw Article 50, and then fight a general election in which voters could vote for the political parties based on their manifestos which would include details of their attitude towards EU membership; or withdraw Article 50 and hold another referendum after the electorate had been given real, truthful, factual information, not lies and propaganda. But the spineless self interest driven scallywags that call themselves politicians won't dare do this. They'd rather try and fudge a mess to save face and pretend they're not just self interested.

JRM explains...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

How about, a no deal exit followed by a referendum on joining the EU? Would be highly democratic wouldn't it? ????

IF they do leave and IF I were a betting man, I'd say we'd see them holding a referendum again sometime in our lifetime to re-enter the EU.

Is there any extrapolation how much Brexit has cost so far? UK pound down, Euro under pressure.Will not take long, then the US dollar is pari with the pound and the euro. 1: 1: 1.
The Brexit Adventure has already cost a lot, if you look at the currency effects.
Billions have already been burned.
Pensions, life insurance, stocks, land and houses all worth much less on the world stage if you look at the exchange rates global. And the Prices for living going more fast up, than the income from the people. Hooray ot what?

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, tebee said:

Latest waste of money 

The UK M2 money stock was at the end of 2017 Billion 3.066 valued in US Dollars.
If the exchange rate loss amounts to only 1% of the dollar, this results in a loss of 30 billion US Dollars for the UK currency. And that only measured at the US currency inflated by the printing press. If you look at the currency Chart for the last Year (Dec 2017 to now) , there you have a minus of 5,5 %. This equates to a loss in value of more than 150 billion (measured in US Dollars).
Brexit costs a lot of Money. Fact.

USUK1Y.bmp

Edited by tomacht8

5 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Is there any extrapolation how much Brexit has cost so far? UK pound down, Euro under pressure.Will not take long, then the US dollar is pari with the pound and the euro. 1: 1: 1.
The Brexit Adventure has already cost a lot, if you look at the currency effects.
Billions have already been burned.
Pensions, life insurance, stocks, land and houses all worth much less on the world stage if you look at the exchange rates global. And the Prices for living going more fast up, than the income from the people. Hooray ot what?

Amazing how in two years we have gone from Brexit being the new Jerusalem - The easiest deal in human history, more money for the NHS, to Not the end of the world. Not exactly setting the bar high, is it?

And STILL The Faithful continue to believe in milk and honey, rather than admit they have been conned...

6 hours ago, baboon said:

Amazing how in two years we have gone from Brexit being the new Jerusalem - The easiest deal in human history, more money for the NHS, to Not the end of the world. Not exactly setting the bar high, is it?

And STILL The Faithful continue to believe in milk and honey, rather than admit they have been conned...

You're better than promoting these types of lies and propaganda.....

• Like 1

Both the far right and the far left want a hard no deal Brexit.

That should tell you something about how good an idea it is.

They both want the chaos it will bring as they think the can use it as a smokescreen to push forward their respective agendas.

We have given the post - brexit government unprecedented powers to work without parimenter oversight - do you not think that is a tempting target for them?

It's the sensible center ground on both sides that doesn't want a no deal brexit - I mean the political class here, not the man in the street who is too easily influenced by calls to his/her emotionions and/or patriotism.

Be careful of what you wish for - you may get something very different.  

• Like 1

Let's do the Brexit Dictatorship checklist, shall we?

Enemies of the People denounced - check
Democratic processes circumvented - check
Extreme executive secrecy - check
Election refused - check
Army deployed - check

What have I forgotten?

Nah, the EU won't let it happen.
I'd have agreed with that analysis however Brussels continue on it's hardball WA refusal tactics, giving no political or legal status, meanwhile the EU releases it's No Deal white paper.

Makes interesting reading, flights continue, visa free movement for holidays & business for a 12 month buffer period. However the EU says the WA deal is far better than a no deal situation.

Now, they WOULD say that wouldn't they.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Let's do the Brexit Dictatorship checklist, shall we?

Enemies of the People denounced - check
Democratic processes circumvented - check
Extreme executive secrecy - check
Election refused - check
Army deployed - check

What have I forgotten?
Maybe best for you Tebee to apply for french citizenship..and renounce your British citizenship.
All you do is bad-mouth the country of your birth constantly.
You obviously do not care at all for all the British people who have lost their jobs due to firms, factories etc re-locating to eastern europe in order cut labour costs.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2